Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    DT Moton Hopkins, who grew up with an autistic brother, is part of the 2018 Diversity is Strength CFL program, following his retirement as a Redbrick in 2017. Having seen his brother being bullied and having been bullied as an overweight teenager he has focused on dealing with speaking to school kids about bullying.

When he got to the CFL, particularly in his time in Ottawa, Hopkins began speaking at schools about bullying and trying to understand people that are different than you.
    “I enjoy talking about it. I understood that because we’re athletes, because of the position that we’re in, that they’ll listen to us,” he said. “Even if we’re saying the same things that their parents are telling them. It’s always been a thing where I’ve wanted to use that to help someone out, help somebody’s kids and put them in a better position. “I’ve had friends that had opportunities and didn’t take advantage of them and they’re kind of worse off, or they’ve thrown away their lives to an extent because they didn’t have that person to tell them, ‘Hey don’t do this. This isn’t as cool as you think it is and this person’s leading you down the wrong path.’ That was a big thing I wanted to do.”

Whether it’s in kids becoming more aware of their words and actions, or the world in general gaining a better understanding of what Autism is, Hopkins sees progress being made.
    “From the time we were younger, people knowing about what autism is, special needs, compared to now it’s significantly different,” he said. “We would go out and people just wouldn’t understand. (Asking) why he’s making noises, all these things. It’s easier for him to go out now because people understand. They have more information, people are more accepting of it, whereas when we were kids that wasn’t the case. Years ago, our doctors didn’t even know how to handle it. There were no dentists that we could take him to before, because they didn’t (take Autistic patients), things like that.”

He takes pride in having spoken to thousands of kids over the years and relishes even hearing back from one kid that said he reached them, that his words made a difference. “You can’t affect everyone but if that one person hears your message and it’s better for them, it was definitely worth it,” Hopkins said.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/08/playin...mpact-schools/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Brad Sinopoli has 63 receptions after 9 games, a pace that would give 126 at the end of the season, leaving him tied for second all-time with Allen Pitts 1993 record for a single season, behind only Argo great Derrell Mitchell's 1998 record of 160 receptions. It would also set a National record for receptions breaking Ben Cahoon's record of 112, and Dave Sapunjis's 1993 Canadian born, Canadian university trained record of 103.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ottawa has added former 2014 first round Hamilton draft pick DL Evan Gill, who has played in only five games in 2016-17 for the Tiger Cats to their PR, as well as National DL Dalton Haughton who had been with Saskatchewan earlier this year. They also released International DB Reggie Daniels and National kicker Felix Menard Briere.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Trevor Harris who had struggled with his passing in some games earlier this season seems back on track, having passed for 381 yards, 487 yards and 361 yards in his last three games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    On the other hand, Trevor Harris is obviously deeply concerned by his poor performance in Ottawa's 21-11 defeat by the Als.

After completing his post-game TSN 1200 radio interview Friday night, Trevor Harris removed the headphones and sat alone on the floor of the Ottawa Redblacks dressing room— his arms crossed and eyes closed. ...

Said Harris: “After losses, I look inward and say, ‘How can I be better?’ I missed some throws that I never miss. They’re a good defence, credit to them. But if I want to be the quarterback I know I will be for this team, I have to rise above things and make plays.”
    Yes, Trevor Harris has to be better. Coming off a string of good games—the last one a brilliant 44-21 win over Winnipeg two weeks ago— Harris completed 25-of-46 passes for 270 yards. Too many throws were off target. On a couple of occasions, his receivers dropped balls that were on target. And yes, his offensive line didn’t provide him with enough protection, a tough task given the number of defenders the Alouettes had chasing the quarterback at times.

“I’ve got to be better … I’m going to be,” insisted Harris. “Any time you don’t put a touchdown on the board, it’s disheartening. It’s a tough one, man. This sucks.”
    https://ottawasun.com/sports/footbal...im-going-to-be

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After breaking Luca Congi's rookie record of 21 consecutive FGs, National Lewis Ward has continued to break his own record and now has 27 consecutive FGs, going 30/31 and a 96.8% FG% on the season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM Marcel Desjardins and HC Rick Campbell comment on Kyries Hebert's second suspension this season.

“I’m not going to comment on the hit,” said Desjardins. “All I’m going to say is the league has made a decision and we’ll have to live with it. Who am I to comment on it at this time?”
    “I’m going to stay out of that,” said Redblacks coach Rick Campbell. “All I know is we’re going to move on without him for at least two weeks.”
    Asked if it was tough to go on without an important starter, Campbell said: “It’s very helpful to play within the rules and for all our guys to be available because we always want all hands on deck.” ...

“It’s getting to the point now where this is two strikes, he obviously can’t afford a third one and I’m talking from the overall league perspective. For Ky his intent is not to do what transpires on the field. I know he says that he’s trying to do the right thing and I believe him, but within the moment when you’ve been doing it a certain way for a long time and it was acceptable, it’s a difficult adjustment,” general manager Marcel Desjardins said on TSN radio.
    https://ottawasun.com/sports/footbal...-for-two-games

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ottawa has signed National DB Andrew Lue, who over four years has been with the Als, Riders and Eskimos previously.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In the following video, former Argo Diontae Spencer tells how the tragic death of his own father inspired him.

https://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2018...spencer-story/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    GM Marcel Desjardins and HC Rick Campbell comment on Kyries Hebert's second suspension this season.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/footbal...-for-two-games
    Getting kinda sick of all the $uck-ups defending this cheap-shot punk; yeah, sure, he;s an old school tough hitter type, yadda yadda. Point is - he goes out of his way to lead with his helmet in obvious attempts to injure players (like he did with an all-time great RB in Cornish that might have cut his career short); and at a time when the game is trying very hard to limit head injuries and everybody knows and gets this. IF the CFL "leadership" had real concerns for policing this type of action, they would have had a 3 strikes and you're out (lifetime ban) policy for obvious repeat offenders - and a cheap-shot artist like Hebert would be gone for the league - and the CFL can do without this clown (and i always liked him as a tough defensive play-maker - BUT - he's repeatedly shown his true colors; so stop defending the puke.) AND - still say a smart HC with some guts would send out somebody to even the score with this clown who had targeted one of their players; NOT with an intent to injure and wreck his career; but an O-lineman give him a shot to the rips & yap and then rips his helmet off and holds him down on the ground and face-washes him with a stinky glove: "how's that pal - think you're a tough guy now? " Ever since - that team would be The Champ, in my books.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Getting kinda sick of all the $uck-ups defending this cheap-shot punk; yeah, sure, he;s an old school tough hitter type, yadda yadda. Point is - he goes out of his way to lead with his helmet in obvious attempts to injure players (like he did with an all-time great RB in Cornish that might have cut his career short); and at a time when the game is trying very hard to limit head injuries and everybody knows and gets this. IF the CFL "leadership" had real concerns for policing this type of action, they would have had a 3 strikes and you're out (lifetime ban) policy for obvious repeat offenders - and a cheap-shot artist like Hebert would be gone for the league - and the CFL can do without this clown (and i always liked him as a tough defensive play-maker - BUT - he's repeatedly shown his true colors; so stop defending the puke.) AND - still say a smart HC with some guts would send out somebody to even the score with this clown who had targeted one of their players; NOT with an intent to injure and wreck his career; but an O-lineman give him a shot to the rips & yap and then rips his helmet off and holds him down on the ground and face-washes him with a stinky glove: "how's that pal - think you're a tough guy now? " Ever since - that team would be The Champ, in my books.
    The “circle the wagon” mentality is on display in Ottawa, Hebert is a dirty player plain and simple.
    Funny thing is Ottawa would be crying foul if a player such as Taylor Loffler cranked Ellingson with a helmet to helmet hit but that’s how it works I guess?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    The “circle the wagon” mentality is on display in Ottawa, Hebert is a dirty player plain and simple.
    Funny thing is Ottawa would be crying foul if a player such as Taylor Loffler cranked Ellingson with a helmet to helmet hit but that’s how it works I guess?

IMO - looks good on Desjardins, Campbell & (big-time over-rated) new DC Thorpe for signing this guy and handing him the starting MLB job; now if they had reigned him in and said zero cheap shot / penalty tolerance and played him at Will OLB (guy is not a real MLB) for leadership and vet presence on D, that would be a different story; but obviously they have let him loose with his old ways, and he isn;t a good enough (IMO) CFL MLB anyways. You reap what you sow ?

Desjardins could have (easily) drafted both Kwaku Boateng and Jordan Herdman in the same draft - and IMO they could both easily be starting (at DE & MLB) in their 2nd years now and be real upgrades to the mediocre Ottawa defence; but his focus is more on back-up fullbacks, long-snappers or special teamers only with his draft thinking, and Canadians shouldn't be playing more than 1 or 2 positions on their defence = these clowns learned zero from their GC win season in that regard IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    IMO - looks good on Desjardins, Campbell & (big-time over-rated) new DC Thorpe for signing this guy and handing him the starting MLB job; now if they had reigned him in and said zero cheap shot / penalty tolerance and played him at Will OLB (guy is not a real MLB) for leadership and vet presence on D, that would be a different story; but obviously they have let him loose with his old ways, and he isn;t a good enough (IMO) CFL MLB anyways. You reap what you sow ?

Desjardins could have (easily) drafted both Kwaku Boateng and Jordan Herdman in the same draft - and IMO they could both easily be starting (at DE & MLB) in their 2nd years now and be real upgrades to the mediocre Ottawa defence; but his focus is more on back-up fullbacks, long-snappers or special teamers only with his draft thinking, and Canadians shouldn't be playing more than 1 or 2 positions on their defence = these clowns learned zero from their GC win season in that regard IMO.
    Boeteng was a guy I was hoping the Argos would draft a couple of years ago.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The RedBlacks have obtained National DL Maxx Forde in a trade with the Lions. Last year he had 8 DT and one sack in 18 games with BC, while this year he had played in only four games with 2 DT due to a shoulder injury. The 6'5", 280 lb Forde played in 46 games at the University of Idaho in his university career and was a seventh round 2015 pick of the Lions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ottawa has voided the Max Forde because he failed the medical.

The Ottawa Redblacks announced Monday the acquisition of Maxx Forde from the B.C. Lions has been voided as the Canadian defensive lineman didn’t pass a medical.
    The deal, made Saturday, saw B.C. land a 2019 sixth-round pick and player from Ottawa’s negotiation list.
    https://theprovince.com/sports/footb...failed-medical

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Lewis Ward's remarkable rookie season continues. The following article looks at what

His perseverance and belief in himself help explain why the 26-year-old rookie from Kingston, Ont., has been good on 29 straight field goals, the fourth longest streak in CFL history.
    “You never know how long you are going to wait,” said Ward. “It’s all about making sure in your mind you are ready. You can get called up any minute. You’ve always got to be preparing (like) it’s going to happen soon.” In his first CFL game Ward was good on his first three kicks before sending a 48-yard attempt wide. ...

Ward hasn’t missed since, giving him the longest streak ever by a first-year player. He is 32 of 33 on the season with nine of his field goals coming from 40 yards or more. ...

His performance may have surprised some people but not Ward. “I have the expectation I shouldn’t be missing,” he said. “I’m here for a reason. I’m a pro for a reason. I shouldn’t be missing. The streak has just come along with the success we are having and the work we put in throughout the week.”
    What impresses head coach Rick Campbell is Ward’s calm, calculated manner. “He really has a great demeanor about him,” said Campbell. “He’s a very steady guy. We thought he could have a really good year. The best thing he has is his mental approach. He doesn’t’ get phased by much. We’re lucky to have him.”
    While playing for the Ottawa Gee-Gees Ward established himself as one of the best kickers in U SPORTS. He wasn’t taken in the 2017 draft so returned for a fifth year of college. ...

“I was a little upset at first,” Ward said. “But I wouldn’t have had that extra year of experience or broken any of the records I broke if I didn’t have the extra year.”
    While at college, Ward worked as a security guard at TD Place Stadium. Some of the guards he worked with now cheer for him during games. ...

During his final year in college Ward made 24 of 29 field goals, with the longest being 46 yards. He finished his university career with 89 field goals, setting an Ontario University Athletic record. His 412 points left him the leading scorer in Gee-Gees history and third all-time in U SPORTS.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/09/11/morris...rookie-season/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    J. R. Tavai has been fined for his high hit on Travis Lulay that took him out of the game last week on concussion protocol.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I can see why the refs didn't penalize that play. Didn't look bad when I first saw it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ottawa has signed International LB Michael Rose-Ivey who had 156 tackles and one sack at over his career at Nebraska and spent time with the Chicago Bears.