Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Bizzarre - WTF is Mavis thinking there by trading away one of his best young players (maybe he knew he would flee as a FA this off-season and wanted to get something ???) - guy has emerged as a force on D this year and near the best Will OLB in the league now IMO; instant big upgrade for the mediocre talent Ottawa D; let's see if Thorpe puts him to use or sticks with his imports favored 1st ways there ?
    Yes. One can understand Reed's trade for a team in a rebuilding mode of 32 year old OL Philip Blake and 30 year old WR Lavoie to the Riders for a second round draft pick and 24 year old National WR Josh Stanford who had 17 receptions this year. However, Ackie is only 26, and in his fourth season has jumped from 17 to 81 DT, which is fifth in the CFL, in addition to a TD, a sack, a forced fumble and two interceptions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Yes. One can understand Reed's trade for a team in a rebuilding mode of 32 year old OL Philip Blake and 30 year old WR Lavoie to the Riders for a second round draft pick and 24 year old National WR Josh Stanford who had 17 receptions this year. However, Ackie is only 26, and in his fourth season has jumped from 17 to 81 DT, which is fifth in the CFL, in addition to a TD, a sack, a forced fumble and two interceptions.

Apparently, Ackie told Mavis that he would not be re-signing there (about to become a FA) and would like to give the NFL a shot? OK - so Mavis moves him to get something instead of nothing and when the Als are out of the play-offs and have no real use for top young players the remainder of this season ? - kinda makes sense to me.

Ottawa now has a shot to find a role for Ackie and treat him with respect, and maybe they have the inside track if he doesn't get an NFL look ? We'll see there as well - not sure Thorpe will play Ackie over some of the young import guys he has at LB this year (who aren't anywhere close to as good) and maybe he just values him for depth (back-up at LB or safety behind Pruneau) ? Possible real good gain for the Ottawa D - again, we shall see.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jim Popp was the GM who drafted Ackie, so Popp could well be interested in bringing him to the Argos, as he has with so many former Als, if Ackie becomes a free agent and the NFL doesn't work out. Of course, Popp also coached him, so Ackie might demand that Jim never coach him if he were to sign with the Argos, in view of Popp's coaching record in Montreal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Herb Zurkowsky has said on Twitter that Ackie really loves Montreal so don't be surprised if he just ends up back there.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Brad Sinopoli has reached 100 receptions (and now has 101) for the first time in his career. At his current pace, he would break Ben Cahoon's National record of 112 receptions.
    Last edited by jerrym; 10-14-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Lewis Ward's 43rd consecutive FG on Saturday puts him only one behind the NFL record of 44 set by Adam Vinatieri in 2015-2016. Vinatieri broke former Argo Mike Vanderjagt's record of 42 consecutive FGs set in 2002-2004.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Rick Campbell and Trevor Harris comment on losing the time of possession badly in the last two games:

“We’ve had trouble the last two weeks with not being able to get off the field on defence and staying on the field on offence. When you lose the time of possession that badly, things wear down. You want to score sevens, but we’re going to take the points as we go. We played a good half of football, but in the second half it wasn’t good enough and they beat us.” – HC Rick Campbell

“We couldn’t get any traction offensively and couldn’t stay on the field. It was not a good half of football from us. We’ve got to be better than that – I think that’s the worst half we’ve played as a team this season and that’s unfortunate.” – QB Trevor Harris
    https://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2018...s-on-the-road/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Tonight Lewis Ward's two FGs against Hamilton gave him 45 consecutive FGs, thereby breaking Adam Vinatieri's pro football record of 44 that he accomplished in 2015-2016, a record previously held by former Mike Vanderjagt's record of 42 with Indianapolis in 2002-2004. Quite an accomplishment for a rookie, as Vinatieri hit his record FG in 21st season Vanderjagt set his record in his tenth pro season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Tonight Lewis Ward's two FGs against Hamilton gave him 45 consecutive FGs, thereby breaking Adam Vinatieri's pro football record of 44 that he accomplished in 2015-2016, a record previously held by former Mike Vanderjagt's record of 42 with Indianapolis in 2002-2004. Quite an accomplishment for a rookie, as Vinatieri hit his record FG in 21st season Vanderjagt set his record in his tenth pro season.
    Ward, Chris Rainey, Gizmo, Pinball, and others show that the little guys can have an out-sized impact amongst and against the giants.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    HC Rick Campbell chewed out his players at half-time, with Hamilton leading 25-14. The change in performance in the second half was quite noticeable.

Redblacks coach Rick Campbell didn’t like what he saw from his team in the opening 30 minutes, so he gave his players a halftime blast.
    It worked. Battling through some first-half hiccups, the Redblacks battled back and beat the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 35-31 on Friday night at TD Place, taking Round 1 of back-to-back games between the teams that could settle first place in the CFL East. With a 9-7 record, the Redblacks are now a game up on the Ticats, making next Saturday’s return match a must-win for Hamilton.
    “I was in a bad mood,” said Campbell. “Our effort is always good. I just wanted us to have a bit of nasty and a bit of edge to us. Winning is really hard, especially in games like this.

“I told our guys: ‘Those guys aren’t our friends. When we’re in between the lines, even if you know people, it’s a knock-down, drag-out competition.’ When we play with that edge, we can do some pretty good things.”
    Ottawa quarterback Trevor Harris bounced back from a shaky first half. His backup, Dominque Davis, scored three touchdowns from in close.
    https://ottawacitizen.com/sports/foo...1-d440a7168b76

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Lewis Ward comments on breaking the professional football record for most consecutive FGs and those questioning whether he did it because of a lot of short FGs.

The Ottawa Redblacks kicker, who a couple of weeks ago broke Rene Paredes’ Canadian Football League record of 39 consecutive field goals (accomplished over two seasons), booted a 52-yard field goal during Friday’s 35-31 win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to eclipse the professional football record of 44 in a row by Adam Vinatieri over the 2015-16 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League. ...

“(Vinatieri), that’s one of the greats, he’s one of the big-time guys,” said Ward, who kicked the record-breaker in tough, windy conditions at TD Place stadium. “I wouldn’t say I’ve put a dent into what he’s done … he’s done some great things. I’m just trying to be the best I can be. To have my name up there with him is very special.” ...

There has been skepticism because Ward hadn’t been asked to boot any lengthy field goals during his streak — his longest before Friday had been 47 yards — but full credit to the rookie kicker who, with a wind at his back, drilled the 52-yarder through the uprights with room to spare.
    “I’ve had a couple of people say, ‘It’d be nice if I had all those short ones. I’d be on the same streak,’ ” Ward said, “but I think, if you look at the numbers, I think I have the most in the league between 40 and 50 (yards). To add that 52 (yard field goal), it just goes to show I can only control what the team will give me. They expect me to do my part and that’s what I’m going to do.”
    https://ottawasun.com/sports/footbal...gend-vinatieri

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo Trevor Harris was central in Ottawa's win over Hamilton despite a rough start. He completed 24/32 passes for 341 yards. One of the other keys to his success was Harris threw no interceptions. This is not surprising as Harris, despite having thrown 585 passes, has the fewest number of interceptions (11) of any CFL QB who has thrown 300 passes or more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Dan Barnes argues that Lewis Ward could be a triple CFL award winner. I think that that's unlikely but I think he has a good chance of winning at least one award.

By booting 45 consecutive field goals without a miss, Ward slipped past National Football League legend Adam Vinatieri’s mark of 44. And that rather amazing accomplishment makes Ward either the leading candidate or one of the main contenders for three Canadian Football League awards: most outstanding rookie, special teams player and Canadian. Nobody in the history of the CFL has ever won three end-of-year honours in the same season. Only seven CFLers have doubled up.
    “He’s definitely going to win special teams player of the year,” said Calgary kicker Rene Paredes, who won it in 2013. If Ward is the Eastern nominee on special teams, he should be challenged in the West by either Calgary’s Terry Williams, who has three return TDs, or B.C. kicker/punter Ty Long, Lions’ return man Chris Rainey or Saskatchewan kicker Brett Lauther. ...

The rookie nod has gone to 15 receivers, 11 running backs, seven linebackers, five defensive linemen, four quarterbacks, three defensive backs and an offensive lineman, but never to a kicker.
    In the rookie race, Ward should have competition in the East from Montreal running back William Stanback, who was given a chance to shine after Tyrell Sutton was dealt to the Lions. In just eight games, Stanback has become the league’s 12th-leading rusher, putting up 448 yards and averaging 6.8 per carry. The West Division is chock full of rookie candidates, but none of them has set a professional football record for excellence under fire. Saskatchewan’s nominee will likely be one of their solid young receivers, Jordan Williams-Lambert or Kyran Moore. Winnipeg’s should be either quarterback Chris Streveler or defensive back Marcus Sayles. And the Calgary chapter of the Football Reporters of Canada will likely nominate defensive back Tre Roberson. Neither B.C. nor Edmonton has a particularly strong rookie challenger.

As for the most outstanding Canadian award, Ward might have to yield the Ottawa nomination to his teammate, receiver Brad Sinopoli, but that’s a heck of a horse race. If Ward does emerge from the team vote, he’d probably go up against Montreal linebacker Henoc Muamba for the right to represent the East during Grey Cup week. Winnipeg running back Andrew Harris and Calgary linebacker Alex Singleton are likely neck-and-neck for the West nomination. ...

Even if he falls short in the voting for most outstanding Canadian, Ward would join a very select group if he wins a pair of year-end awards. The only other rookie winners to double up were Winnipeg’s Albert Johnson III who added the special teams award in 2000, and B.C.’s Cameron Wake, who also collected most outstanding defensive player honours in 2007. And the only other two-time winners were the fabulous Ottawa QB Russ Jackson, who paired most outstanding player and Canadian on three occasions: 1963, 1966 and 1969; Ottawa’s Tony Gabriel in 1978 (MOP and Canadian), B.C.’s Brent Johnson in 2006 (Canadian and defensive player), Calgary’s Jon Cornish in 2013 (MOP and Canadian) and B.C.’s Solomon Elimimian in 2014 (MOP and defensive player).
    https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...for-cfl-awards

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Redblacks feel they are getting no respect despite the fact that they are in first place in the East.

Last week, six prognosticators for cfl.ca picked the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to beat the Redblacks on Friday night; none picked the home team. To be honest, I also predicted the home team would lose, 32-26. Ottawa, of course, won 35-31 despite trailing by 16 points in the second quarter and 25-14 at half-time.
    On Tuesday, the CFL’s Nissan Titan Power Rankings placed the Redblacks, after beating the No. 1-ranked Ticats, in fifth. Up from sixth a week earlier. The new No. 1 was the surging B.C. Lions, who after a 3-6 start are now 9-7 … same as Ottawa.

Last week, the CFL’s Simulation gave Ottawa just a 5.68 per cent chance of winning the East Division title, while the Ticats were at 94.32 per cent). Friday’s win changed the odds a bit in Ottawa’s favour, with Tuesday’s simulation awarding Ottawa a 74.74 per cent chance of winning the division and a 10.17 per cent chance of winning the Grey Cup. (Hamilton was at 18.35 per cent.) ...

Redblacks players are paying attention, though. “You have to laugh,” linebacker Kyries Hebert said. ...

Asked where he would place Ottawa if he could do his own rankings, Hebert said: “If I had to do a power ranking … I just feel it’s not important. There’s no rhyme or reason, there’s no science to it, clearly. Because it’s always wrong.”
    https://ottawasun.com/sports/footbal...e-cfl-skeptics

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    HC Rick Campbell admits William Powell is banged up and there is a good chance he won't play against Hamilton this week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Brad Sinopoli has broken the record of 112 receptions for most receptions in a season by a National set by Ben Cahoon (who was born in the US). Sinopoli has 116 receptions with one game still to play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Lewis Ward continued to add to his professional football record number of FGs, kicking his 46th against Hamilton, making 49/50 overall on the season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Lewis Ward continued to add to his professional football record number of FGs, kicking his 46th against Hamilton, making 49/50 overall on the season.
    A couple of casual CFL fans i know asked me if I thought Ward would merit an NFL shot based on his outright incredible FG kicking accuracy thus far this season; sure- and pigs might be flying over the Olympic Stadium again as I witnessed back in 77. ;o) He's no FG kicking superstar talent like an Adam Vinateri, that's for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    A couple of casual CFL fans i know asked me if I thought Ward would merit an NFL shot based on his outright incredible FG kicking accuracy thus far this season; sure- and pigs might be flying over the Olympic Stadium again as I witnessed back in 77. ;o) He's no FG kicking superstar talent like an Adam Vinateri, that's for sure.
    He also has never kicked FG's without benefit of a tee. IMO, his leg is nowhere near strong enough to merit consideration. But he's had an absolutely amazing season.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    No surprise with first place locked up.