Hybrid View

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    It was a fun day, and great to sit in the stadium.

I don't know what people are expecting from Fajardo. Reading twitter a lot of Argos fans weren't impressed. I see it as his first ever professional game action, and thought he looked quite good when taking that into consideration.

So happy to see Noel make a tough catch, and then make a 2nd and show great ability to break tackles. Very big, strong receiver, that I believe will have a great future in this league.

Surprised to see Gale, but not surprised with his success. This is his 3rd season in this offensive system, so lack of TC shouldn't be a big issue for him. He is definitely
    talented.

Very happy with Kilgore's stint as well.

Unbelievable athletic play by Bryan Hall, dropping into coverage and diving to knock down a ball. I honestly did not know he can be that athletic.

Cam Walker was excellent. I think we have a good rotation guy for Foley.

But...My favourite part of the day was the fact that the music is nowhere near as loud as it is in the dome, making easy to talk to your friends between plays. I loved that.
    I'm not saying cut Fajardo now, but after watching him over two practices and 2 quarters of an exhibition game (which might not be a proper sample granted), I'm just not sure what the Argos saw that convinced them to sign him. I had thought his arm strength to be underwhelming, but then he surprises me by throwing that deep ball that was just overthrown.

That was definitely a nice catch-and-run by Noel. Sounds like he's had an impressive camp.

Mitchell Gale, the MOP of the preseason, but agreed as you said he knows the system.

That opening drive was very nice from Kilgore taking 8:30 off the clock; but the 2nd drive was also just as impressive. It ended with a FG but he had led the team down from the shadow of the goalposts.

The Argos could've picked off 2 or 3 more passes than what they did.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    was driving or should i say bumper to bumper on the Gardiner and drove by just as the 2nd half got under way so was expecting to see lots of empty seats and it looked rather full a minute into the 2nd half. very nice turnout for pre season football

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    was driving or should i say bumper to bumper on the Gardiner and drove by just as the 2nd half got under way so was expecting to see lots of empty seats and it looked rather full a minute into the 2nd half. very nice turnout for pre season football
    The attendance was announced as 16,000. OK for a preseason game for this market. Still plenty of work to be done for Copeland et al however.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    So, what's up with McPherson? No action at all today or is the Gale signing signalling that something is up?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    So, what's up with McPherson? No action at all today or is the Gale signing signalling that something is up?
    McPherson was ill with a migraine which is why he was not available to play.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    My take:

Fantastic stadium. I'm thrilled to be on the lower west side -- never a threat of being sunned out. My sister was on lower east side in first half and they baked.

The field is beautiful, the atmosphere amazing even when less than full. Best overall atmosphere we've had at home in 33 or so years. We've had some fabulous moments in SkyDome (playoff games, the Grey Cup, some regular-season games) but all of them took place in an airport. This is an actual football stadium, with intimacy and pageantry.

Heath (presumably no relation to Jo-Jo) must surely have won a job in the secondary with two picks and a knockdown. Noel looked good, Walker was excellent (sack and two hurries), McFadden seems to be the likely starter at MLB. Kenny Shaw made a few decent plays but couldn't run under Ricky's corner pattern; hope Spencer is not out too long with what looked like maybe back spasms. Hawkins was on the third or fourth unit -- either he's on the bubble or he's so safe they decided to play him with the scrubs.

Sewell and Founoti went in on jumbo formation when the starters were on the o-line. Guessing they will start the season as No. 6 and 7 at least until McEwen is dressed.

Draftee Declan Cross will likely make the team as a backup FB/STer. Young receiver Williams played a lot in second half but didn't see any passes.

Lots of good teammates on the Argos, especially Foley (who coached up the young d-linemen a few times using a tablet) and Elliott (who is constantly watching the action and cheering on whoever's on the field).
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think I saw in the stats that Williams did have 1 catch for 5 yards.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yeah, it is 100% Argo related so belongs in the game thread.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thoughts:
    QB's - Kilgore looked good - very good IMO. Ray wasn't in for long, but I thought the deep throw looked great....... even though it didn't work out. Farjardo clearly struggled and needs more time (keep in mind Kilgore didn't look great last year either) - way too quick to run IMO. Was shocked to see Gale, but not surprised he was successful.

Rb's - were barely used, so not much I can say other than Baker looked pretty good and I thought for the most part they all blocker relatively well. Josey played okay IMO - was able to find holes in the middle, but didn't get far.

OL - Our starters are set IMO, but I think Van Roten should move to Centre for now until McEwen is ready - IMO Watman didn't look that great.

WR's - Hazelton, Elliott, Gurley, Durie and Spencer are probably locks, but I like what I saw from Noel and Miles.

Defence: Liked what I saw from Hall, Walker and McFadden. If i didn't know which number he had I wouldn't have noticed Spruill (who I had high hopes for). Not sure if it was Ansah or Hebert who got beat badly on the first TD, but I didn't like it at all - whomever it was clearly wasn't paying attention. Heath looked real good at times, but also got beat a few times as well. I liked what I saw from Legree. Very vanilla defense, so I'm expecting better things in week 1.

BMO: Loved it, train ride there was fast and easy. When you get into the stadium it actually felt as if it was the Argonauts home - lots of blue and if I didn't know any better I would've thought it was a CFL venue. I was on the East upper deck and it was fantastic; great views of the field and a nice breeze until the middle of the 4th and we got the sun. TBH the only two complaints I have is #1. I wish the big screen was bigger and maybe I missed it, but it wouldn't show which down it was (2 and 8 etc) and #2. the sound system at times was hard to hear - it was great when the music would play, but when Landry, Kate or the head ref spoke; it was hard to hear what they were saying.

Ticat Fans: They were pretty tame; I had no issue with any of them and didn't hear much during the game. I had some great convos with Ticat fans heading to and from the game as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Thoughts:
    QB's - Kilgore looked good - very good IMO. Ray wasn't in for long, but I thought the deep throw looked great....... even though it didn't work out. Farjardo clearly struggled and needs more time (keep in mind Kilgore didn't look great last year either) - way too quick to run IMO. Was shocked to see Gale, but not surprised he was successful.

Rb's - were barely used, so not much I can say other than Baker looked pretty good and I thought for the most part they all blocker relatively well. Josey played okay IMO - was able to find holes in the middle, but didn't get far.

OL - Our starters are set IMO, but I think Van Roten should move to Centre for now until McEwen is ready - IMO Watman didn't look that great.

WR's - Hazelton, Elliott, Gurley, Durie and Spencer are probably locks, but I like what I saw from Noel and Miles.

Defence: Liked what I saw from Hall, Walker and McFadden. If i didn't know which number he had I wouldn't have noticed Spruill (who I had high hopes for). Not sure if it was Ansah or Hebert who got beat badly on the first TD, but I didn't like it at all - whomever it was clearly wasn't paying attention. Heath looked real good at times, but also got beat a few times as well. I liked what I saw from Legree. Very vanilla defense, so I'm expecting better things in week 1.

BMO: Loved it, train ride there was fast and easy. When you get into the stadium it actually felt as if it was the Argonauts home - lots of blue and if I didn't know any better I would've thought it was a CFL venue. I was on the East upper deck and it was fantastic; great views of the field and a nice breeze until the middle of the 4th and we got the sun. TBH the only two complaints I have is #1. I wish the big screen was bigger and maybe I missed it, but it wouldn't show which down it was (2 and 8 etc) and #2. the sound system at times was hard to hear - it was great when the music would play, but when Landry, Kate or the head ref spoke; it was hard to hear what they were saying.

Ticat Fans: They were pretty tame; I had no issue with any of them and didn't hear much during the game. I had some great convos with Ticat fans heading to and from the game as well.
    I'm on the upper east side as well (52 yard line to be exact) love the vantage point, great view of the lake as well.
    No risk of being rained on, felt sorry for the people baking in the sun on the lower east side.
    I had the same feeling walking up to the stadium SnowRogue, like returning to your long lost home.
    I also liked looking down and seeing where the old stadium was situated, we are finally back where we belong, hard to believe all those years have gone by.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thoughts:

Considering it was the first pre-season, you got to give a lot of leeway. Both teams are not really showing much on both sides of the ball and keeping it vanilla. Farjardo could still be kept around, he's got some speed so could develop into a dual threat with more experience. Kilgore and Gale looked more refined, but shouldn't they be when you consider that this isn't their first camp.

Was a little disappointed to just see Henry Josey just get carries of all the vets in the backfield. He was Ok, for pre-season but he has no speed to get to the outside and broke off one for a 10 yd carry, but was it against the first team. I would have liked to have seen Anthony Coombs used out of the backfield. I know he's a slotback, but was he not a running back in Manitoba. I know he's got good speed and think that some carries from the backfield during the pre-season could see him maintain those skills.

Wallace Miles and Levi Noel caught some attention with some catches. Was Brian Jones playing or dressed, didn't notice and must admit that I walked around the stadium a bit more than usual.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Coombs has good speed and was a RB in CIS football and he can make people miss trying to tackle him at times, But, I can't ever remember seeing him break a tackle. Always seems to go down at the first contact. Back up for Durie and maybe they can make a WR out of him.
    I don't see Josey making the team again this year. Whitaker, Kackert and Baker look to be the three who will probably rotate on and off the 46 man roster.
    Brian Jones is still out with the wrist injury.
    Probably just about everybody was caught off guard when Gale showed up and played. He must have been working out and throwing somewhere. I would just as soon see Kilgore and Gale be the two game day back ups, while Farjardo keeps learning on the IR or PR. McPherson has never showed much as a passer IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Coombs has good speed and was a RB in CIS football and he can make people miss trying to tackle him at times, But, I can't ever remember seeing him break a tackle. Always seems to go down at the first contact. Back up for Durie and maybe they can make a WR out of him.
    I don't see Josey making the team again this year. Whitaker, Kackert and Baker look to be the three who will probably rotate on and off the 46 man roster.
    Brian Jones is still out with the wrist injury.
    Probably just about everybody was caught off guard when Gale showed up and played. He must have been working out and throwing somewhere. I would just as soon see Kilgore and Gale be the two game day back ups, while Farjardo keeps learning on the IR or PR. McPherson has never showed much as a passer IMO.
    I basically agree with your assessment although I think Coombs may stay as backup to Durie until his retirement which is could be by the end of this season, considering his age and recent injuries. Coombs was reasonably successful last year catching 57 passes for 486 yards, so he well stay as the dump pass guy rather than move out to WR where we already have so much talent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Considering it was the first pre-season, you got to give a lot of leeway. Both teams are not really showing much on both sides of the ball and keeping it vanilla. Farjardo could still be kept around, he's got some speed so could develop into a dual threat with more experience. Kilgore and Gale looked more refined, but shouldn't they be when you consider that this isn't their first camp.

Was a little disappointed to just see Henry Josey just get carries of all the vets in the backfield. He was Ok, for pre-season but he has no speed to get to the outside and broke off one for a 10 yd carry, but was it against the first team. I would have liked to have seen Anthony Coombs used out of the backfield. I know he's a slotback, but was he not a running back in Manitoba. I know he's got good speed and think that some carries from the backfield during the pre-season could see him maintain those skills.

Wallace Miles and Levi Noel caught some attention with some catches. Was Brian Jones playing or dressed, didn't notice and must admit that I walked around the stadium a bit more than usual.
    Pretty sure I read Jones may be looking at season ending wrist surgery.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thoughts:

They had the Down and Yard to go on the Jumbotron for every play. It was on the right side about 3/4 of the way down.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    They had the Down and Yard to go on the Jumbotron for every play. It was on the right side about 3/4 of the way down.
    Must have been the seating angle I was at, because I honestly didn't see it. I'll be looking out for it at the home opener.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    In another thread, mentioned the contests I was looking forward to---relative to that, here are my observations (again-for what they are worth):

CB--Heath had 2 interceptions and used his speed well. He played a little soft on some short passes but closed quickly to limit the gains. Showed he could cover well and not let any long passes be completed in his area. Berry was very good in man coverage and was on top of potential receivers very quickly. Frankly, Owusu-Ansah is going to have to sharpen up his game to hold these two off.

DT--Robertson played with Hall, which made his job a little easier but he did look very effective when he was in there. Playing with the first string D always makes it a little easier to shine but he did play well. Both Watson and Bishop were more than competent and often pushed the offensive line players back. Granted it is easier to play against 2nd and 3rd stringers but they looked good. On the balance Robertson looks to have won the right to play along side Hall.

QB backups--Kilgore looked excellent--very polished, crisp passes and good decisions. Looked in complete charge when in there. Jury out on McPherson but suffering from migraines will not have helped his cause. Fajardo showed excellent athletic ability both running and passing but sometimes made some poor decisions. He is a keeper but is obviously a work-in-progress. Gale was the surprise --accurate passes, quick reads, good decision making--ok he played against 3rd stringers but even with that, he was impressive.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    DT--Robertson played with Hall, which made his job a little easier but he did look very effective when he was in there. Playing with the first string D always makes it a little easier to shine but he did play well. Both Watson and Bishop were more than competent and often pushed the offensive line players back. Granted it is easier to play against 2nd and 3rd stringers but they looked good. On the balance Robertson looks to have won the right to play along side Hall.
    Pretty sure we are planning to start one NAT at DT -- Bulcke and Waud in rotation. Neither guy dressed yesterday. I could certainly see Robertson dressing and playing in a rotation. If we are able to start nine NATs (two on d-line, one at LB, one at S, four on o-line and one SB), we can rotate Robertson or another INT DT in alongside Hall frequently.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Must have been the seating angle I was at, because I honestly didn't see it. I'll be looking out for it at the home opener.
    The down and distance was there, but it was difficult to pick out at times.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Not sure if it was Ansah or Hebert who got beat badly on the first TD, but I didn't like it at all - whomever it was clearly wasn't paying attention.
    O-A and Herbert each gave up one long completion down the left sideline. O-A is probably in tough to keep his spot, Herbert is probably worth keeping around as an emergency backup and ST guy but at this stage of his career he's not gonna develop into a starting-calibre player.