Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Preseason Week 2: Toronto Argonauts @ Montreal Alouettes, June 17, 2016 Game Thread

June 17, 2016 at 8:00
    Percival Molson Stadium
    I think the game is on TV

Final tune-up before the regular season takes the Argos east to La Belle Province. Will Logan Kilgore solidify his position as the #2 QB or will Mitchell Gale or (gulp) even Cody Fajardo have something to say about that? Find out live on FNF.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    There is no competition for back up. Kilgore is the guy. The battle will be between McPherson and Gale for #3 as they will develop Fajardo this year on one of those lists where players get hidden. I think Eric Tillman invented it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Will Logan Kilgore solidify his position as the #2 QB or will Mitchell Gale or (gulp) even Cody Fajardo have something to say about that? Find out live on FNF.
    Ooh, now that you've built up the drama, I will try to watch this game! ;)

Fingers crossed that I can find a stream...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Ooh, now that you've built up the drama, I will try to watch this game! ;)

Fingers crossed that I can find a stream...
    It'll be on TSN 1, 3, 4, 5

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    There is no competition for back up. Kilgore is the guy. The battle will be between McPherson and Gale for #3 as they will develop Fajardo this year on one of those lists where players get hidden.
    I agree with this 100%. And judging from Fajardo's interview posted on the site, he sounds like he's prepared to be in it for the long haul. He's only 24, Kilgore is 26, that's just the way it works at this Argonaut QB Factory.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Tune in ... same Wil time ... same Wil channel.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Any QB hoping for a good career in Canada should be prepared and even eager to spend a year or two as Toronto's third- or fourth-stringer. The examples are there for all to see: Collaros, maybe the best QB in the CFL at the moment, and Harris, he of 33 TD passes and a new deal paying him something like $400k in Year 2. Clearly Milanovich, Brady (and Ray) know how to develop QBs for success in Cdn football. I have little doubt that Kilgore is next up on that list, and will not be surprised in a year or two if Fajardo joins it as well.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Any QB hoping for a good career in Canada should be prepared and even eager to spend a year or two as Toronto's third- or fourth-stringer. The examples are there for all to see: Collaros, maybe the best QB in the CFL at the moment, and Harris, he of 33 TD passes and a new deal paying him something like $400k in Year 2. Clearly Milanovich, Brady (and Ray) know how to develop QBs for success in Cdn football. I have little doubt that Kilgore is next up on that list, and will not be surprised in a year or two if Fajardo joins it as well.
    No love for Barker ?
    You know the guy who finds the talent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    No love for Barker ?
    You know the guy who finds the talent.
    Not my intention to slight him, but I believe players sign mainly for the opportunity they are going to get, and that comes in large part from the coaching and the system. Barker found Collaros, Harris and Kilgore, and he made a magically good trade for Ricky, so IMO he clearly deserved his three-year contract extension. But if I was a QB hoping to make $400k someday, I'd be pretty interested in playing for coaches who have a clear track record of developing No. 1 QBs who can excel.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Als QB Tajh Boyd, who did not play in Als first preseason game, will play against the Argos.

Tajh Boyd may well wonder what his future holds with the Alouettes when he dressed — but didn’t play — during last Wednesday’s exhibition game at Winnipeg.
    Perhaps the bigger indignity was Boyd watched while Canadian Interuniversity Sport rookies Drew Burko and Jimmy Underdahl received playing time late in the fourth quarter.
    “I can only control what I can control. I’ll just continue to keep putting in the work, try to put as much as I can on film — whether it’s practice or the game. Just try to make the most of it,” Boyd said on Monday. “I kind of knew that was going to happen. I figured they wouldn’t be able to get everyone in there.”
    The Als dressed seven quarterbacks against the Blue Bombers, using all but Boyd. Kevin Glenn started and was replaced by Rakeem Cato. In the second half, the Als used Brandon Bridge, rookie Vernon Adams, Burko and Underdahl.
    Boyd, a late-season addition to the Als’ practice roster in 2015, dressed for the regular-season finale against Saskatchewan. He played collegiately at Clemson and was a sixth-round draft choice of the New York Jets in 2014. He had stints with Pittsburgh and Winnipeg before arriving in Montreal.
    Als offensive co-ordinator Anthony Calvillo vowed Boyd will see some playing time on Friday, when Montreal hosts Toronto in the final exhibition match for both teams.
    “They got a lot of reps during camp. We wanted to give them all a fair shot to be evaluated. The tough part is getting them in the games,” acknowledged Calvillo, in his first full season as the Als’ OC. “It was tough in the second half. There were things that weren’t there. Some protection broke down.
    “We couldn’t get everybody on the field. He’s going to play this week for sure. We had different opinions on who was going to play and who wasn’t.”
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...-calvillo-says

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Injury-prone Bear Woods, who was outstanding for the Als when he was able to play in 2014, will get a lot of playing time against the Argos.

He has torn his pectoral muscle and suffered hamstring and quadriceps injuries. He even tore the Lisfranc ligament in his foot, which could have ended his career — almost before it even began.
    And that’s only in four seasons. We don’t want to say Bear Woods is injury-prone, but. …
    “I can’t even answer that question. I might slip on the way to the locker room,” the Alouettes’ middle linebacker quipped following Tuesday’s training camp practice at Bishop’s University. “My injuries have been such freak deals, but I have to watch my step everywhere. Still, I don’t think about it.”
    After being a healthy scratch last week at Winnipeg, Woods should receive considerable playing time Friday night, when the Als conclude their exhibition schedule against the Toronto Argonauts at Molson Stadium. It will be the first game for Woods since July 3, when he suffered a season-ending torn pec in the second quarter of the second game, against Calgary.
    That, too, was a freak injury, sustained when he took a bad angle on a crossing route and attempted to chop the receiver down with his arm — a move he’s used successfully on several occasions. When Woods couldn’t pump his arm on the next play, he knew something had detached.
    Pity for the Als, who were eagerly looking forward to seeing what the dreadlocked linebacker had in store for an encore after his breakout campaign in 2014. Despite being limited to 12 games, Woods produced 89 tackles — second-highest in the Canadian Football League — along with seven sacks. He was the East Division nominee for most outstanding defensive player.
    Although Woods was one of many Montreal players whose contracts were restructured last winter, general manager and head coach Jim Popp never once wavered or contemplated whether to retain the 6-foot, 245-pounder.
    “I don’t worry about him,” Popp said. “We’ve stuck and stood behind him through his injuries. Each time, he has bounced back very strong. I expect the same thing will happen.
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...-for-alouettes

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Injury-prone Bear Woods, who was outstanding for the Als when he was able to play in 2014, [/url]
    Jerry, are you trying to start a fight with OV? He has mentioned many times that Woods is overrated.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jerry, are you trying to start a fight with OV? He has mentioned many times that Woods is overrated.
    How much one values him depends to a significant extent on how much one values being relatively injury-free. I can see why some would not such an injury-prone player, even if he performs at a high level when available to play.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    How much one values him depends to a significant extent on how much one values being relatively injury-free. I can see why some would not such an injury-prone player, even if he performs at a high level when available to play.
    LOL.. I was just ribbing you. Personally, I like Woods, and have had that argument with him before.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    It'll be on TSN 1, 3, 4, 5
    Yeah, and it finally occurred to me that I know someone whose Rogers account I can borrow. Derp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Woods is overrated.
    Truer words have ne'er been spoken.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Achievements:

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level

Kilgore looks a little afraid to get hit. Hopefully, its just Milanovich's instructions to not risk getting hurt.

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dmont View Post

Kilgore looks a little afraid to get hit. Hopefully, its just Milanovich's instructions to not risk getting hurt.
    Possibly scared to lose his 2nd spot before the season start