Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Oline was terrible. Josey looks about the same and I'm still not impressed, but Baker didn't look that great either. Why isn't Campbell given a shot at rb ? Wylie had the fumble early on return, but I like what I saw from him at receiver; IMO if he can stay healthy he's a very good slot to have.

Defensively - Isiah Green had a very good game and I'd like to see him grab a starting spot. Berry, Mitchell and Legree all looked good and I hope they make the roster and push the starters (I'd actually like to see one of 'em nab a starting spot as well). Still not sold on Heath - gets beat too often for my liking.

Not liking the additional coaches challenges already; IMO the league should take them all out.

Medeiros can punt, but FG kicking is not his forte. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I'm very happy Hajrullahu is our all purpose kicker.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Wylie looks awfully fragile out there.
    I thought he looked like a tough little SOB out there. Had the fumble on the first return, but he played every down, he retuned punts, covered kicks, took some huge hits and made some tough catches in tight quarters. The guy is a gamer. People said Dressler but Wylie's more Edelman, possession-type underneath guy. They need to keep this guy.

And Llevi Noel too, I think there's something special about this kid. I like the idea the Argonauts are going to out-hustle their opponents this year. There was a lot of explosive big play potential in those DBs tonight.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I went to the Hamilton exhibition game instead of watching this one...

Was it our starting offensive line in the game or the depth players? I see that the Argos surrendered something like 8 sacks.

Sounds like Montreal was shut down, but for one big play to Duron Carter.

We all know Stubler loves his play-makers, remember 2006 when it seemed like Byron Parker was taking it back weekly?

I know it's going to sound like I'm overreacting to a preseason loss, but the Argos do have to figure out how to beat Montreal. It isn't like they have since 2013, but I feel that Montreal's D can be especially effective in shutting down the Argo offense, and the Montreal offense has done just enough to win. Hopefully with Stubler in charge, the Argos can start winning some tight defensive battles. The team's ineffectiveness against Montreal offensively helps me to understand (at least a bit) where the Milanovich critics come from. Remember, it was Montreal that kept the Argos out of the 2014 preseason, and while the Argos are actually 5-6 against the Als in Milanovich's tenure, I don't remember the Argo offense playing out of their minds in any of those games.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I know it's going to sound like I'm overreacting to a preseason loss, but the Argos do have to figure out how to beat Montreal. It isn't like they have since 2013, but I feel that Montreal's D can be especially effective in shutting down the Argo offense, and the Montreal offense has done just enough to win.
    FYI, the Argos took NONE of their starters to this game, while Montreal played all of their starters for a good chunk of this game, and won by 7 points.
    Similar to your own comment in the Ottawa/Hamilton game thread, I wouldn't read too much into the score based on that.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    FYI, the Argos took NONE of their starters to this game, while Montreal played all of their starters for a good chunk of this game, and won by 7 points.
    Similar to your own comment in the Ottawa/Hamilton game thread, I wouldn't read too much into the score based on that.
    Hence why I put the disclaimer about overreacting. It was also intended as a general comment for the upcoming season because the fact remains that Thorpe has been effective in devising game plans to shut down the Milanovich/Brady offense throughout the years.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Oline was terrible. Josey looks about the same and I'm still not impressed, but Baker didn't look that great either. Why isn't Campbell given a shot at rb ? Wylie had the fumble early on return, but I like what I saw from him at receiver; IMO if he can stay healthy he's a very good slot to have.

Defensively - Isiah Green had a very good game and I'd like to see him grab a starting spot. Berry, Mitchell and Legree all looked good and I hope they make the roster and push the starters (I'd actually like to see one of 'em nab a starting spot as well). Still not sold on Heath - gets beat too often for my liking.

Not liking the additional coaches challenges already; IMO the league should take them all out.

Medeiros can punt, but FG kicking is not his forte. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I'm very happy Hajrullahu is our all purpose kicker.
    I wouldn't blame Heath for the TD by Carter. Looked to me that he released Carter to the inside then realized that Gordon didn't have proper depth at safety and it was too late to recover. IMO the blame there is on Gordon.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I remember when the CFL site would show 6-9 minutes of highlights for their game recap. All I found now was 3 plays courtesy of Sportscentre. I hope it's just a preseason thing. (Or they just haven't cut the plays yet).
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post

Dillon Campbell - has he dressed or played at all in the 2 ex. games? For those who have seen a bit of TC - where has he lined-up/ has he got many reps on actual offence?

Have to wonder if maybe he was drafted as a project slotback to be in line behind Durie & Coombs at that hybrid slot position for non-imports? Doesn't seem like he is getting a shot to compete at tailback, and if a stiff like Josey is assumed to be better, there might be something wrong with that picture - my guess is tailback is an imports only position in terms of starter for Millanovich - though Coombs can play & sub in there (and did a bit last season). I'll bet Campbell gets outright cut.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dmont View Post

Who I liked:

Markeith Ambles: Made some good catches in the first half. Got behind coverage.

Edwin Baker: Made better decisions than Josey. All Josey ever seems to do is head up the gut and run into a brick wall. Baker seems more multi-faceted.

Cody Fajardo: Had a nice game, but then again, with the way our O line was playing, our pocket passers were doomed. Fajardo at least could give us a different look.

Jimmy Legree: In on a bunch of plays, looked good dropping into coverage.

Thomas Miles: Had a great first half, and is versitile. Able to play middle or weak side.

Llevi Noel: Looks tough to bring down. Why was he on returns? He didn't do a bad job there, but I don't think he has the speed.

Devon Wylie: Not a bad game. Seems like he's able to get open. We'll see how good his hands are.

Who I didn't like:

Entire O-line: I realize that Montreal was playing some starters, but our O line was completely useless, particularly in the second half.

Chris Kolankowski: Couldn't even snap the ball to Gale. Kind of an important part of the job.

Henry Josey: Just more of the same we saw last year. Likes to run straight into the D line, not big enough to do anything once he gets there.

Matt Sewell: Saw him beat badly at least once.
    Accurate summary, I think Sewell is done, Wylie looks like he can play but seems rather fragile, biggest improvement this season will be the defence, combo of much improved coaching and serious upgrade in talent.
    O-Line was abysmal last night, Gale looked more like a third baseman trying to handle those snaps from centre.
    I still put Montreal as one of the least likeable teams in the CFL.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    dmont summed things up nicely. Same guys caught my eye for good or bad reasons. I know it's preseason but I'm not sure that we have a Chad Owens type returner. Young healthy Chad. haha. Montreal has found one in that little 5'6" speedster.

I'm really impressed with Fajardo and his ability to move and throw on the run. Imagine this guy playing with first stringers. Yah I like him right from the get go when watching plenty of college highlight packages. Man does he have a burst and he's not tiny.
    Berry, Mitchell, Legree looked good and Heath has potential.

O'line had bigger holes then Swiss Cheese. There where guys that just couldn't move their feet. It looked like a bantam O line.

Funny how obvious it was that some guys played very well and others looked lost.

Oh yah Ambles looked great. We have a glut of receiver talent. I like Baker over Joesy. Baker looks like a more powerful runner with a good burst even though with the blocking or lack thereof it was hard to see.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Josey needs to be cut. Sewell... meh. Could the Argos please find a high-quality kick returner one of these years?!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I wouldn't blame Heath for the TD by Carter. Looked to me that he released Carter to the inside then realized that Gordon didn't have proper depth at safety and it was too late to recover. IMO the blame there is on Gordon.
    It looked like it was on Gordon to me too and I wasn't impressed with Gordon's giving up on the play after Carter caught it as well. (I mean, I know Carter is fast, but if you can't even chase hard during pre-season when you're trying to make the team, when will you?)

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Again, was this our depth on the OL getting exposed or the starters. Either way, even if it was the former, it is still a cause to be slightly concerned as these are the guys we'd be counting on if there are injuries.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm not completely blaming him for the Carter TD either, but that doesnt excuse the fact that he's gotten beat quite a few times in too games. He seems to chase a lot; which to me is very concerning.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    It looked like it was on Gordon to me too and I wasn't impressed with Gordon's giving up on the play after Carter caught it as well. (I mean, I know Carter is fast, but if you can't even chase hard during pre-season when you're trying to make the team, when will you?)
    I agree completely with both sentiments.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Again, was this our depth on the OL getting exposed or the starters. Either way, even if it was the former, it is still a cause to be slightly concerned as these are the guys we'd be counting on if there are injuries.
    Not quite. The only one we were really counting in IMO was Sewell. I assume Smith and McEwen rank ahead of everyone who played last night. Mind you, Smith is always injured and McEwen has yet to take a CFL snap. Hopefully one of the import backups and either Sewell or Circelli are capable of being 8 and 9 on the depth chart. But I certainly don't hold out much hope for Sewell.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Dillon Campbell - has he dressed or played at all in the 2 ex. games? For those who have seen a bit of TC - where has he lined-up/ has he got many reps on actual offence?

Have to wonder if maybe he was drafted as a project slotback to be in line behind Durie & Coombs at that hybrid slot position for non-imports? Doesn't seem like he is getting a shot to compete at tailback, and if a stiff like Josey is assumed to be better, there might be something wrong with that picture - my guess is tailback is an imports only position in terms of starter for Millanovich - though Coombs can play & sub in there (and did a bit last season). I'll bet Campbell gets outright cut.
    He hasn't played an offensive snap. Either he's not gonna make the team or he is and the coaches were more interested in figuring out who the INT backup RB is.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Not quite. The only one we were really counting in IMO was Sewell. I assume Smith and McEwen rank ahead of everyone who played last night. Mind you, Smith is always injured and McEwen has yet to take a CFL snap. Hopefully one of the import backups and either Sewell or Circelli are capable of being 8 and 9 on the depth chart. But I certainly don't hold out much hope for Sewell.
    Which in itself concerns me because we aren't sure whether Van Zeyl will return to form either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    He hasn't played an offensive snap. Either he's not gonna make the team or he is and the coaches were more interested in figuring out who the INT backup RB is.

If a guy hasn't played an offensive snap in 2 ex. games, my guess is the coaching staff think little of him; and I sort of doubt he is going to make the team as a tough, special teams gunner type.

Maybe a wasted draft pick, but he did have the very good college ball production resume to rate drafting; might have bombed in Argo TCs 2 years in a row? - if he isn't given any shot to compete at RB when a mediocre like Josey is kept around, he must not be doing much right in camp, or, he wasn't going to get a serious shot at his natural position to begin with.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    If a guy hasn't played an offensive snap in 2 ex. games, my guess is the coaching staff think little of him; and I sort of doubt he is going to make the team as a tough, special teams gunner type.

Maybe a wasted draft pick, but he did have the very good college ball production resume to rate drafting; might have bombed in Argo TCs 2 years in a row? - if he isn't given any shot to compete at RB when a mediocre like Josey is kept around, he must not be doing much right in camp, or, he wasn't going to get a serious shot at his natural position to begin with.
    Team did lose Gillanders in offseason so who knows.