Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Winnipeg Blue Bomber Thread

The Bombers have a new national coach, Drew Morris.

Bombers general manager Kyle Walters didn't have to look far, nor did he have to think twice when it came time to replace national scout Drew Morris, who on Monday resigned from the organization to accept a job with the New York Jets.
    Walters immediately replaced Morris with Winnipeg native Craig Smith, who has worked all over the CFL, most recently with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
    “He's a quality man, he's a good man, he works his tail off, and he's gonna fit right in,” Walters said Monday night in the press box at TD Place. “He's excited about the opportunity, and we're not gonna miss a beat.”
    Walters said Smith will be responsible for heading up the team's American scouting, but as a Manitoba product he has always paid close attention to the Canadian university scene as well.
    “He's done it all,” Walters said. “He's been doing it for so long that he's very well connected in everything, and he'll be a nice asset to our organization. ... With his CIS background it would be foolish to not have him involved with his contacts and divvy up some of the work that way as well.”
    Morris was with the Bombers for three and a half years, joining the organization in August 2012 as a U.S. regional scout.
    “It was inevitable with the timing of the NFL season, and Drew's been going on interviews,” Walters said. “I knew this was coming, to be honest with you, with the amount of interest Drew was getting. It just shows what a bright young mind he is that it's impossible to deny him an opportunity like this with the New York Jets. So we wished him the best of luck.”
    Morris will remain with the team for the rest of the week as it sets its final roster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The Bombers have a new national coach, Drew Morris.
    Just another gob.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wrong forum jerry.

BTW Smith was brought in to scout not coach.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I got interrupted in the middle of posting this thread and just blew it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The Bombers cuts are in.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/06/1...wn-the-roster/

Took long enough for them to realize Bucknor isn't good enough - 2 years too late IMO; he was terrible at corner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    The Bombers cuts are in.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/06/1...wn-the-roster/

Took long enough for them to realize Bucknor isn't good enough - 2 years too late IMO; he was terrible at corner.
    The Bombers gained Andrew Harris and Keith Shologan as NI starters = other NI starters can become expendable - . i'd guess Hurl will no longer start at MLB for them; a CFL team does not want more than 8 NI starters. Bucknor was also a vet and a starter - meaning more than CFL minimum pay against the $M$ - I'd guess that was a factor too.

Bucknor may have been weak at times, - a lot of DBs get burned in an all passing league - but he was still better than a lot of other CFL starters - like Mitchell White of the Als (talk about terrible at corner), or Awansah or half the stiffs the Riders trotted out in their D-backfield last year.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 06-19-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The Bombers gained Andrew Harris and Keith Shologan as NI starters = other NI starters can become expendable - . i'd guess Hurl will no longer start at MLB for them; a CFL team does not want more than 8 NI starters. Bucknor was also a vet and a starter - meaning more than CFL minimum pay against the $M$ - I'd guess that was a factor too.

Bucknor may have been weak at times, - a lot of DBs get burned in an all passing league - but he was still better than a lot of other CFL starters - like Mitchell White of the Als (talk about terrible at corner), or Awansah or half the stiffs the Riders trotted out in their D-backfield last year.
    While it's well known that I'm not a fan of Ansah; I completely disagree that Bucknor is better than Ansah or even Mitchell White for that matter. Bucknor was playing and starting in this league for one reason and one reason only - his passport.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    While it's well known that I'm not a fan of Ansah; I completely disagree that Bucknor is better than Ansah or even Mitchell White for that matter. Bucknor was playing and starting in this league for one reason and one reason only - his passport.
    Hey - differing opinions are ok/good.

The only reason a stiff like White gets to play for the Als is his "passport" - he gets all kinds of playing time opportunity to show he is mediocre to useless, but Als draft pick - former CIS all-star corner Andrew Lue - has got pretty well zero playing time opportunity to see if he could be an upgrade, because he is Canadian, and they already have their 7 only need apply NI starters elsewhere. Matt Black has never been given full-time opportunity to play corner in the CFL either so we could see Ansah types instead.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I agree about Lue - I'd like to see him get a shot, but I disagree with the rest.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree about Lue - I'd like to see him get a shot, but I disagree with the rest.

The Als have 2 former CIS all-star D-backfielders and top rated CFL draft prospects - in Lue and Chris Ackie - yet they have got pretty well zero playing time opportunity to see if they could help a weak and often struggling Als D-backfield; meanwhile, Mitchell White starts.

What ? - you disagree that Matt Black has never been given some serious playing time chance at corner, but you're good with mediocres like White & Ansah handed playing time galore due to their "passports" ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I agree that Matt Black hasn't been given much playing time at corner, but I didn't want to get sucked into the vortex. IMO Matt Black is not starting CFL material nor do I think he's better than Ansah, but I will say that Black is a very good backup to have. He can play multiple positions and is a very good locker room guy to have, but again IMO not good enough to start.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Former Argo Travis Hawkins signs with Blue Bombers
    http://3downnation.com/2016/06/21/bo...ravis-hawkins/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Reading that Andrew Harris got nicked in practice and might not be good to go for the opener? - meaning a back-up import RB (Flanders looked good in pre-season IMO) would have to start. And apparently this would cause some dreaded "ratio problems" for the Bumblers - who have ex-Rider mediocre Macho Harris pencilled-in at safety (ahead of Canadians like Teague Sherman, Waggonner (who they burned a 1st round pick in this year's draft on to get in the supplemental last year) and this year's draft pick Taylor Loffler; they also have lightweight Mo Leggett (former safety for them) at OLB, when Sherman or Waggonner can play OLB as well; plus Hurl lost his MLB job as I expected.

Seems like the Argos will be the only CFL team to "start" 8 NI/Nationals, and it could easily be 9, 10 or 11 if the likes of Miles, Waud or Noel played on D or O.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have restructured the contracts of former Argo Justin Medlock and OL Stanley Bryant.

Kicker Justin Medlock and offensive lineman Stanley Bryant will remain Winnipeg Blue Bombers after finalizing a restructure of their contracts.
    Both players were set to become free agents next month. The team renegotiated their deals this past season to provide salary cap relief.

“Once we started getting a few injuries, I approached those two guys and asked if they would mind just changing a couple things around,” said Bombers general manager Kyle Walters in November. “They were more than happy to help out.”

Medlock was named the CFL’s top special teams player in 2016 following a record-breaking season. The 33-year-old set a new league mark by hitting 60 of his 68 field goal attempts. He also broke the Bombers’ record for most points in a season with 227.
    Bryant has started every game since initially signing with the Bombers in 2015. With his help, Winnipeg finished this past season tied for third in the league in sacks allowed with 35.
    The Bombers now have 18 players who can become free agents on Feb. 14.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3157937/wi...tanley-bryant/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have signed QB Dominique Davis and WR Gerrard Sheppard.

Davis (6-3, 215, East Carolina, July 17, 1989 in Lakeland, FL) has spent the past two seasons with the Bombers after signing at the beginning of the 2015 season. He dressed for all 18 regular season games, and the Western Semi-Final in 2016. Davis has started one game during his tenure with Winnipeg, going 16-25 for 169 yards in the final game of the 2015 season in Toronto, a campaign in which he dressed for 11 games. Prior to joining Winnipeg, Davis was briefly with Calgary, and prior to that had spent time in the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons (2012-14), Tennessee Titans (2014), and Indianapolis Colts (2014).
    “Dom Davis is a quarterback who has continued to grow in our organization,“ said Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters. “He’s a mobile quarterback with a strong arm, and has the attitude we look for in our players. We believe he will continue to prosper under our offensive staff and are glad to get this deal done with him.”
    Sheppard (6-2, 210, Towson, November 16, 1990 in Owings Mills, MD) played seven games with Winnipeg in 2016, hauling in 13 receptions for 118 yards. Prior to signing with Winnipeg, Sheppard was with the Green Bay Packers after spending the 2013 season on the Baltimore Ravens practice roster. Sheppard began his college career at the University of Connecticut, where he played in eight games over two seasons before transferring to Towson where he started in nine of 23 games played in his final two seasons. He registered 52 receptions for 584 yards (11.2 avg.) and five touchdowns.
    “Gerrard is a physical receiver who can not only catch the football but is an excellent blocker downfield, “ said Walters. “His physicality and willingness to do whatever is asked of him is a credit to his character, and we’re looking forward to seeing him compete in training camp in 2017.”
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/0...rard-sheppard/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Matt Nichols may become a free agent as contract negotiations with the Bombers are not going well.

And according to Walters, it continues to be “tough sledding” with respect to contract negotiations with the agent for Quarterback Matt Nichols. “Stay tuned”, was the GM’s response. “Nothing ever seems to get done quick with these guys (agents). Everything’s a grind. Matt’s agent and I, we talk weekly. We’ll keep plugging along, and I’m cautiously optimistic that we’re going to make some real good progress on the Matt Nichols contract before he becomes a free agent on February 14th.” ...
    Just last week the Blue Bombers cut ties with veteran QB Kevin Glenn, at least for now, as Walters felt it was the right thing to do because there were no contract talks planned with Glenn who becomes a free agent on February 14th as well.But that also leaves Winnipeg with Dominique Davis as the lone, signed pivot on the current roster and Walters admitted that has led to feeling the pressure to get a deal done for Nichols with just 5 weeks remaining before CFL Free Agent Day. “I mean yeah, he’s our starting Quarterback,” said Walters. “I was hoping before Christmas we’d have a contract done so I could take a deep breath. But that wasn’t the case so now it’s- let’s get Matt Nichols under contract before February 14th and get this over with, and not let him get to free agency and focus on 20-17. That’s the big goal.”
    http://www.cjob.com/2017/01/10/kyle-...w84Bhg.twitter

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have signed former Argo TC prospect Akeem Whonder.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has inked national linebacker Akeem Whonder.
    Whonder (5-11, 224, Windsor, born in Mississauga, ON) played five years with the Lancers, the last of which saw him post 53 tackles, two sacks, and an interception. Those numbers were good enough to earn him an Ontario University Athletics all-star nod. In his five seasons he totaled 175 tackles and eight sacks. Whonder has spent time in camp with the Stampeders and the Argos.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/0...akeem-whonder/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers are losing their OL coach Bob Wylie to Cleveland Browns.

The 65-year-old has been with the Bombers since 2014. He also spent two seasons with the team from 2007 to 2008.
    Wylie has coached at five different levels of football over his career. He has worked for six colleges, seven NFL teams and two CFL clubs.
    The Browns fired offensive line coach Hal Hunter earlier this week.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3181847/wi...to-nfl-report/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Paul Friesen argues that the Bombers and starting QB Matt Nichols, especially after the Durant trade because he doesn't see Jones pursuing Nichols.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/01/1...eed-each-other

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ed Tait discusses how the large number of players (173 right now) and the Durant trade impact the Bombers.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/13/226039/