Former Argo and Eskimo Jason Vega has signed a one day contract with the Bombers so that he can finish his career with them.

The 29-year-old Brockton, Massachusetts product has long had a different take on professional football to dispel any lingering anger or bitterness that might come with walking away from the game.
And so, Vega will slap his name on a one-day contract with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers today and retire as a member of the blue and gold without a trace of regret or remorse.
That – leaving on his own terms – makes him unique in a profession often described this way: ‘Great game, crappy business.’
“I’ve always had a somewhat detached view of football,” began Vega in a chat with bluebombers.com. “It was always one where I played it because I enjoyed it, not because I had to. That was something my mom instilled in me when I was younger and it helped me keep it in perspective; that I wasn’t going to play football forever and I needed to have a plan for after the game.
“So for me to walk away from it isn’t overly difficult because I know there are much more important things… family, for me, is prime in every situation. And now that I have a son who was born in October it made it easier for me to say, ‘It’s time.’” ...

his Canadian Football League career officially began with the Bombers in 2011 and, after taking his NFL shot with the New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys in 2013, he returned to Winnipeg in 2014.
He spent 2015 with the Toronto Argonauts and then finished up last year with the Edmonton Eskimos. And it was before his last regular season game last November – a 41-17 Eskimo win over the Toronto Argonauts in which he had three tackles and a sack – that Vega knew his finish line was near.
“This is something that I’ve been considering for a while,” said Vega. “In 2015 when I ended up playing in Toronto I had a feeling I might be done. I went out there and played and then going into last year’s offseason I was focussed on removing the whole idea of playing football and moving forward.
“Then the opportunity came up to play for Edmonton and I talked to my wife about it. She said, ‘Just give it another go and make sure you’re done with it and if you are, you are. I’ll support you either way.’
“It really hit me the last regular season game of this past season,” added Vega.
http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/0...hifting-focus/