Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    CFL Hall of Famer and Assistant GM/Director of U.S. Scouting Danny McManus discusses how Bomber free agent camps work below.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/01/...e-agent-camps/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Kevin Oiszewski and Darrin Bauming discuss the need for a veteran quality backup QB and whether Darian Durant can fill the bill in the podcast below.

https://soundcloud.com/tsn1290roundt...medium=twitter

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have signed the following players from their 2017 PR for the 2018 season: QBs Josh Straughan and Philip Nelson, DLs Sam Montgomery and Chris Casher, DB Zavian Bingham, WR Garry Brown and RB Zach Bauman. There profiles are below.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/01/...rs-add-roster/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Darian Durant finds another job signing with Winnipeg.

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-p...-one-year-deal
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Darian Durant finds another job signing with Winnipeg.

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-p...-one-year-deal
    Makes some sense i guess - in that a lot of CFL teams have a desperate need for an "experienced" back-up QB.

I wouldn't have paid Durant anymore than bare minimum CFL back-up QB wage; and I think it would be wayyyy smarter to try some younger QBs with some upside on the roster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Makes some sense i guess - in that a lot of CFL teams have a desperate need for an "experienced" back-up QB.

I wouldn't have paid Durant anymore than bare minimum CFL back-up QB wage; and I think it would be wayyyy smarter to try some younger QBs with some upside on the roster.
    While I agree that Durant deserves to be backup to Nichols, I'm not sure what you mean by the bare minimum for a back-up QB, but if it is what the Bombers paid Dan LeFevour, then I would have to disagree as Durant, despite his very poor performance last year, has shown himself to be much better than that in the past.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Durant says he is ready to take on a QB back-up role in Winnipeg.

“I just want to come in and help out Matt as much as I can and have a role with the team, whether it’s in meetings, whether it’s short yardage,” Durant said on a conference call Sunday after signing a contract with the Bombers late Saturday night. “I talked to Matt and told him that I’m just coming in to support you 100% — you’re the guy. You’ve helped build what is Winnipeg Blue Bomber football in this present day. I’m just coming in to try and help and do what I can. If my number is called then be ready and until then be that veteran guy to help him as much as possible.”
    The Bombers clearly believed they lacked depth at the quarterback position last season — when Dom Davis and Dan LeFevour were the backups — and went out and got Durant just a few days after he was released by the Montreal Alouettes. ...
    "I don’t think (being the backup) will be difficult at all,” Durant said. “When I first started my career, I was a practice-squad guy, then I was a third-stringer and I had to work my way up and everybody on the team has a role and I’m looking at this as ‘Where can my talents be best served?’ I felt like coming in, helping Matt, being a security blanket for him, helping out with short-yardage and just being around (offensive co-ordinator Paul LaPolice) in a good environment, that just made it an easy decision for me.”

Durant said the idea of retirement never crossed his mind. He said he was approached by three CFL teams after he was released by Montreal but chose Winnipeg because of the people in the organization and because he believes the team has what it takes to win. “When you’re working with good people, you always want to take advantage of that,” Durant said. “I’m big on work environment, going to work happy every day, being in a good locker room, being in a good situation and just seeing what coach (Mike) O’Shea has done with the team over the past couple of years, I see this as an organization that is definitely on the up and coming.”
    The Bombers had other choices when looking for a veteran backup, most notably Kevin Glenn, the 38-year-old who was recently released by the Roughriders. Glenn has been the ultimate utility quarterback in recent years but clearly Bombers general manager Kyle Walters saw Durant as a better option.
    “I hope that they see that I could still play and they can see that I can help this team,” Durant said. “Being a veteran presence behind Matt, being that guy on the field, myself and (quarterback’s coach) Buck (Pierce), helping him through reads — whatever it is that we may see. We had some tough battles with Winnipeg, myself over the past couple years. So I think that they think I can bring something to the table and that’s why they brought me in.”
    http://winnipegsun.com/sports/footba...e-with-bombers

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM Kyle Walters discusses below where Winnipeg is at this point in the off-season.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/01/...-kyle-walters/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have signed three players with previous CFL experience: Nationals DB Brendan Morgan, who was cut by the Bombers in 2017 after two years with the club, and WR Tylor Henry, a Bomber 8th round 2017 draftee who did not survive TC, and International Stephen Clarke, who spent four years with BC.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/01/24/bomber...-clarke-henry/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The signing of National DB Brendan Morgan and International DB Stephen Clarke suggests the Bombers may be willing to let one of their free agent DBs, TJ Heath or Moe Leggett go, if their salary demands are too high.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    WR Weston Dressler discusses the upcoming Bomber season and what it means to him to reunite with Darian Durant in this podcast.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-12...-team-1.979930

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bombers' Most Outstanding Defensive Player DB Chris Randle talks about the 2017 season and his goals for the upcoming season below.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/01/...eteran-leader/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Geoff Gray, Bomber's 2017 eighth overall draft choice, has signed a two year contract with the Cleveland Browns, which had grabbed him off the Jets PR late in the season, so it's unlikely the Bombers will be seeing him anytime soon.

http://winnipegsun.com/sports/footba...nd-year-in-nfl

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Winnipeg has signed International DB Anthony Gaitor who played 12 games for the BC Lions last year, making 38 DT and 1 interception.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/...nthony-gaitor/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have cut QB Dominique Davis, who saw little action in three years with Winnipeg, suggesting the team did not have much confidence that at 28 he would develop into a decent CFL QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The Bombers have cut QB Dominique Davis, who saw little action in three years with Winnipeg, suggesting the team did not have much confidence that at 28 he would develop into a decent CFL QB.
    When Davis had his opportunity to play last season, he did not seize it. This is an appropriate move for the Bombers.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Does this open up a spot for Fajardo?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Does this open up a spot for Fajardo?
    It could but if he is after playing time, he is probably better off going to Ottawa where behind Trevor Harris is the rather pedestrian Ryan Lindley, the injury prone Drew Tate who has only played 3 games in each of the last two seasons, and the very inexperienced William Arndt and Danny Collins rather than sit behind Nichols and Durant in Winnipeg.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Andrew Harris wants the Bombers to try to sign Kienan Lafrance. This makes sense as it would give Winnipeg a good backup National RB who could spell Harris without upsetting the National/International ratio. Despite leading the league in rushing last year, Harris started to wear down towards the end of the season, so Lafrance could help reduce Harris' wear and tear. They could still use International Timothy Flanders who is a good receiver out of the backfield as well as a runner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Andy Muamba, Winnipeg's second overall pick in 2013, won't be coming back to the Bombers in the future as he is retiring from football, at least that is what he says. It appears from the article below that the Argos are not the only team having disputes over two year contracts. Muamba's decision could also affect who the Bombers go after in free agency.

Mulumba has spent parts of the last five years in the National Football League after signing as an undrafted free agent in 2013 with the Green Bay Packers and then getting looks from the Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders and Los Angeles Rams. ...
    The decision by Mulumba comes following a tumultuous few months in his dealings with the Bombers: He turned his attention to the CFL after his NFL options had apparently been exhausted last fall, but Mulumba’s agent made some disparaging public comments about the CFL in the media and then asked for his client to be traded when he didn’t like the team’s first contract offer.That rankled Bombers GM Kyle Walters, who said this when asked about the status of Mulumba at his season-ending media availability last November:
    “We’ve called him for two years and he had zero interest in coming to the CFL. Zero interest. This year they decide that they’ll listen, but they only want to come for one year. It really doesn’t work like that, truth be told. If you want to come up here for a couple of games this year and be a free agent after next year, here’s the offer. This is standard procedure. Do your research, this is the way it works.” ...
    “I put an offer out on whatever the day it was and have heard nothing. Absolutely no counter offer, nothing back. The next thing I heard through the media was that they wanted to be traded or he was going to retire. I said, ‘This is your negotiating ploy? I don’t quite understand that. Why don’t you send me what you’d like?’ I’ve yet to hear a counter offer. But now Andy Mulumba (if he signs) is committed for 2018 and 2019, regardless of where he goes. His idea of signing for the remainder of ’17 and getting out of his contract for 18, which seemed to me was their top priority, is no longer an option. He’s now committed to an ’18-’19 contract if he wants to play in the CFL.” ...

His decision does potentially impact what the Bombers might do in CFL free agency, which begins February 13th. The Bombers have started veteran Canadian Jamaal Westerman at defensive end over the last three years, but he is scheduled to become a free agent, as is another Canadian, defensive tackle Jake Thomas.
    Canadian defensive linemen under contract for 2018 include end Trent Corney and tackles Faith Ekakitie and Ian Marouf.
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/04/andy-mulumba-moves-football/