Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Guys like Mulumba and Victor Butler need to be realistic about their opportunities in the NFL. Both are too old and too expensive for an NFL team to want them. I know that it is hard to give up the dream of making a tonne more money but they need to be realistic if they want to continue playing pro football.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ed Tait use stats over the last few seasons to argue that having a good backup QB is extremely important. He also argues that that Bombers could have the best 1-2 QB combo the team has had in years.

First, let’s admit the obvious: quarterback is the most important position on the field and a franchise that has questions behind its starter – regardless of his history of durability – is juggling hand grenades the minute the team steps on the field for training camp.
    To that end, consider that over the last four years only four Canadian Football League starters suited up for all 18 games for their clubs – Mike Reilly of the Edmonton Eskimos last year, B.C.’s Jonathan Jennings in 2016, and Ottawa’s Henry Burris in 2014 and 2015. Last year, four other quarterbacks – including Nichols, Bo Levi Mitchell of the Calgary Stampeders, Ricky Ray of the Toronto Argonauts and Kevin Glenn, then of the Saskatchewan Roughriders and now of the Esks – made 17 starts.
    It’s worth noting as well that 19 different QBs started games for the nine teams across the CFL in 2017, down from the 20 who started games in 2016 and 26 in 2015. And the nine quarterbacks who made the majority of starts for their respective clubs last year combined to post a 74-64-2 record, with the starters for the six playoff squads at a combined 61-38-2.
    But of the other 10 players who made starts for their teams, only four – Lions veteran No 1-1A Travis Lulay, Winnipeg’s Dan LeFevour, Saskatchewan’s Brandon Bridge and Drew Tate of Ottawa – helped lead their team to victories. ...
    And the combined record of those 10 back-up quarterbacks who made starts? Try 6-16.
    Those are just some of the numbers that help justify the importance of having a quality No. 2.
    The 2017 season ended with Durant watching from the sidelines in Montreal and with concerns about a decrease in his arm strength. He’ll step into a different situation in Winnipeg, where he is reunited with former Riders teammate Weston Dressler and offensive coordinator Paul LaPolice, and highly-respected QB coach Buck Pierce. Just as important is the experience he’ll bring to the Bombers, with 128 career starts to his name (61-66-1, but 58-54-1 prior to last year’s disaster in Montreal). ...
    In adding Durant, it could be argued the Bombers now have their best 1-2 punch at the position in some time.
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/...ad-qb-tandems/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bombers have decided to let Internationals WR Clarence Denmark and OL Travis Bond go in free agency.

Bond, 27, played the last two seasons in Winnipeg, where he was named a CFL all-star in 2016 after filling in for an injured Patrick Neufeld at left guard in Week 6 of that year. Neufeld later replaced the six-foot-seven and 356-pound Bond late into the 2017 season after Bond suffered a lower-body injury. But once he was cleared to play, it was Neufeld who was called upon in a 39-32 loss to the Edmonton Eskimos in the West Division final. Neufeld, who is Canadian, has since signed a two-year extension with the Bombers.
    Denmark was the longest-tenured player for Winnipeg, as he’s been with the team for the better part of the last seven seasons. After being released at the start of the 2016 campaign, Denmark made a miraculous comeback. That year, he recorded a career-high eight touchdowns despite playing in just 10 games.
    https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...473579763.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The following article also includes a 21 minute video by GM Kyle Walters in which he says he's looking at free agents at every position, but specifically discusses adding another free agent WR in addition to Adarius Bowman. He also comments on the remaining eight remaining Bomber potential free agents. In addition to the already announced releases of Dominique Davis, Clarence Denmark and Travis Bond, Walter also indicated that former Argo Dan Lefevour will not be back.

That leaves the Bombers with eight other pending free agents heading into next week: defensive backs T.J. Heath and Kevin Fogg, defensive linemen Jamaal Westerman and Jake Thomas, receiver Julian Feoli-Gudino, fullback Christophe Normand and linebackers Kyle Knox and Sam Hurl.
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/09/gm-kyle-walters-approaching-free-agency/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quite a few teams were pursuing Adarius Bowman: the Argos, Als, Riders, and BC in addition to the Bombers. Part of his decision to pick the Bombers was his previous experience with the Bomber OC Paul LaPolice in Winnipeg.

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/09/wh...ed-in-the-peg/

Last edited by jerrym; 02-11-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo and 2017 Bomber QB Dan LeFevour has announced his retirement after the Bombers told him to look elsewhere for a team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    According to Darrin Bauming, Rider WR Nic Demski appears set to sign with the Bombers in free agency.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Following the signing of Kevin Fogg, there is a good chance that all of the remaining Bombers hit free agency, with Jamaal Westerman being the one most likely to resign, according to Darrin Bauming.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Andrew Harris got his wish with the signing of Kienan Lafrance. He wanted the team to sign Lafrance to give him a rest from his heavy workload both running and catching balls that brought him closer to becoming the first 1,000/1,000 running/receiving player in the history of the CFL, a workload that started wearing him down toward the end of the season as he stayed on the field nearly all the time that the offence did. With Lafrance, Harris knew the team would not have to worry about the ratio when Lafrance takes his place.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bomber are pursuing Henoc Muamba but so are several other teams, after he was cut by the Riders yesterday. However, so are BC, Montreal, and the RedBlacks

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are kicking the tires again on what has become another Henoc Muamba sweepstakes. ...
    Bombers GM Kyle Walters met with the media Thursday morning to provide a free agent update three days into the opening of the market, and discussion turned again to the plans for the middle linebacker position, particularly after Muamba’s release.
    “He’s a quality Canadian starter, which in our league puts you at a premium,” said Walters. “Everybody right now will take a look at their roster and look at their ratio and say, ‘Can we or can we not fit Henoc in? What’s the price point? How does it fit to the ratio?’
    “It’s no different than when any quality player gets released, particularly a Canadian. I don’t anticipate us being any different than any of the other teams.” ...

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are kicking the tires again on what has become another Henoc Muamba sweepstakes.
    But if the former Bombers draft pick – cut adrift by the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Wednesday – opts to sign elsewhere, the club is more than comfortable with their in-house linebacker options.
    Bombers GM Kyle Walters met with the media Thursday morning to provide a free agent update three days into the opening of the market, and discussion turned again to the plans for the middle linebacker position, particularly after Muamba’s release.
    “He’s a quality Canadian starter, which in our league puts you at a premium,” said Walters. “Everybody right now will take a look at their roster and look at their ratio and say, ‘Can we or can we not fit Henoc in? What’s the price point? How does it fit to the ratio?’
    “It’s no different than when any quality player gets released, particularly a Canadian. I don’t anticipate us being any different than any of the other teams.”
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/...s-free-agency/

Muamba was due a $35,000 off-season bonus Feb. 15 as part of his 2018 compensation that would’ve paid him $220,000 if he played at least 15 games. The move was salary cap related as the Riders have acquired big names such as quarterback Zach Collaros, defensive end Charleston Hughes, Canuck defensive lineman Zach Evans, national running back Jerome Messam, American offensive lineman Travis Bond and gave raises to players such as defensive end Willie Jefferson.
    http://3downnation.com/2018/02/15/mu...-henoc-muamba/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Nic Demski and Kienan Lafrance comment on signing with the Bombers in the following article with videos of each player's comments.

“This felt like a no-brainer place to go,” said Demski. “About five minutes before (LaFrance) signed, he sent me a message with a couple of emojis and I thought, ‘OK, this guy is about to sign in the same place. I can’t get rid of the guy.’ We’re here.
    “I was looking for the best opportunity for me. It was never in the plan to just sign in Winnipeg immediately after my contract was done. It was just the best opportunity and the best fit for me.
    “Honestly (the decision) wasn’t even about coming home. It was about what kind of offence it is and I think my skillset is going to be great in this offence. They like my versatility and with a guy like Matt Nichols throwing you the ball and having weapons around you, a lot of stuff is going to open up. Coming home just adds to the effect.”
    LaFrance also downplayed the coming-home angle on Wednesday, although clearly it was a factor in his decision to sign with the Bombers. ...
    “I was looking at the best fit for myself and the opportunity for the next few years,” he said. “I thought that Winnipeg presented that. There were definitely some (other) options out there. I always felt that I brought more to the table than just playing running back. Hopefully we can explore those talents. I bring special teams to the table, good solid back-up Canadian if that’s the case and catching the ball out of the backfield… that’s all something I’m going to work towards.”
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/...nce-back-home/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    "Death" (Craig) Roh talks about why he signed with Winnipeg in free agency. Bomber Director of College Scouting Ryan Rigmaiden, who already knew Roh

"reached out initially and said, ‘Hey, we want you here. Let’s work out a deal. We’ve got a position for you and think you can function here really well,’” said Roh. “I just really trust his opinion and he knows what I can do as a football player.“That’s important because they’re investing money in you and you’ve also got to understand whether it’s a fit organizationally. All the players talk with each other, too, about which organizations are good. Winnipeg seems like that, with good coaches, good people who really care about winning.” ...

Despite consistent sack totals with the Lions – he had six, seven and seven over his three years there – the vibe he got from the new Ed Hervey-led regime this offseason was lukewarm at best.
    “It was interesting… B.C. just didn’t show that much interest in me,” he said. “It seemed like they were going in a little bit of a different direction. Ed came in and he’s got his plan with what he’s comfortable with… I don’t take it personally, there just wasn’t a whole lot of interest. I’m happy where I am now.
    “In B.C. I was asked to do just about everything. I played defensive tackle and all the way out to the end to dropping into (pass) coverage. I can confidently say I’m one of the CFL’s most versatile players, but I will say my strongest position is at end. I can go inside and rush, go outside and rush. If I’m given the opportunity to pass rush, I think I’m pretty dang good.”
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/...-fit-winnipeg/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    "Death" (Craig) Roh talks about why he signed with Winnipeg in free agency. Bomber Director of College Scouting Ryan Rigmaiden, who already knew Roh

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/...-fit-winnipeg/
    Interesting, but IMO Roh isn't even close to as good as last year's Bummers DEs - Okpo and Jeffcoat, and young NI Corney is better too. Even with Westerman gone, the Bombers seem pretty good at DE, so adding an average at best Roh? - shows how important connections are sometimes to get a shot with a team?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Interesting, but IMO Roh isn't even close to as good as last year's Bummers DEs - Okpo and Jeffcoat, and young NI Corney is better too. Even with Westerman gone, the Bombers seem pretty good at DE, so adding an average at best Roh? - shows how important connections are sometimes to get a shot with a team?
    With the way they have spent in the off season, I can see them having to release some players before the season in order to stay within the cap. I'm sure Roh makes less than Okpalaugo, and Jeffcoat being on an entry level deal is likely playing at or below 60K. I would love to see the Argos try and acquire Okpo to replace Butler. I loved that guy as an Argo.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    With the way they have spent in the off season, I can see them having to release some players before the season in order to stay within the cap. I'm sure Roh makes less than Okpalaugo, and Jeffcoat being on an entry level deal is likely playing at or below 60K. I would love to see the Argos try and acquire Okpo to replace Butler. I loved that guy as an Argo.
    Agreed, sounds like a plan Angelo.
    Free agent signings are the first step, GM’s will now start weeding out the current players on their rosters who they consider too expensive (Okpalaugo may fit into this category).
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post

Love to see Okpo back with the Argos too.

But surely Walters & O'Shea aren't that stupid/myopic to have to cut a far superior player to play a cheaper, average/mediocre one?

How much SM$ did they cough up to the seemingly quite washed-up Darian Durant ? Too gutless to develop their own young QBs behind Nichols? Durant isn't going to do a thing there even if Nichols is injured first game of the year there - they'd end up in last place just like the Als did with Durant at QB. Not sure how much they paid for Bowman but at least it was in a huge area of need (receiver), but they may have way over-paid there too.

IF they could have Okpo (plus Muamaba) on their starting defence but are too cheap / blow $M$ bucks on clowns = they deserve a losing season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Love to see Okpo back with the Argos too.

But surely Walters & O'Shea aren't that stupid/myopic to have to cut a far superior player to play a cheaper, average/mediocre one?

How much SM$ did they cough up to the seemingly quite washed-up Darian Durant ? Too gutless to develop their own young QBs behind Nichols? Durant isn't going to do a thing there even if Nichols is injured first game of the year there - they'd end up in last place just like the Als did with Durant at QB. Not sure how much they paid for Bowman but at least it was in a huge area of need (receiver), but they may have way over-paid there too.

IF they could have Okpo (plus Muamaba) on their starting defence but are too cheap / blow $M$ bucks on clowns = they deserve a losing season.
    You also have to factor in that Nichols got a big pay bump this year. I believe he was still under his Eskimos contract in 2017 which was a back up contract. He likely went from about 150k or so to 400k +.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If the Bombers want Muamba, they'll have to make a move elsewhere. Someone with a high salary would have to be let go so it could very well be Tristan Oko....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    If the Bombers want Muamba, they'll have to make a move elsewhere. Someone with a high salary would have to be let go so it could very well be Tristan Oko....

I bet they pay big bucks to their 2 starting import OTs, and maybe Darvin Adams too (who IMO is quite over-rated and easily replaceable); Mo Leggett is another vet who probably has a large pay-cheque there - and while he makes plays on their D, he also whiffs on tackles plenty and is not IMO that consistent as an OLB - Okpo & Muamaba would be far more valuable to a defence.

Regardless - how much did they give to Durant ? - if it's anything over 150K (and maybe much more?) , that is 50K or so too much that they could be using on top notch starters like signing Muamba.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I 'm shocked. There seems to be a consensus on something.