Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers 10 released names from their negotiation list (with descriptions of each player included in the url) are:

• Jayson DiManche, LB, Southern Illinois
    • Quinton Flowers, QB, South Florida
    • Alex McGough, QB, Florida International
    • Félix Ménard-Brière, K, Montreal
    • Shakim Phillips, WR, Boston College
    • Cody Prewitt, DB, Ole Miss
    • Marcus Sayles, DB, West Georgia
    • Tharold Simon, DB, LSU
    • Chris Streveler, QB, South Dakota
    • Corey Washington, WR, Newberry College
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/02/...ames-revealed/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Winnipeg has signed two International players: DB Tevin Homer and WR Corey Washington.

The six-foot-two, 190 pound Homer played two seasons at Florida Atlantic where he appeared in 13 games, primarily on special teams. He signed with the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent last year but was released before the regular season.
    The six-foot-four, 215 pound Washington split a four-year collegiate career between Georgia Military and Newberry. He totalled 147 receptions for 2,396 yards and 34 touchdowns thorough his career.
    He spent time in multiple practice squads in the NFL after being signed by the Arizona Cardinals as an undrafted free agent in 2014.
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/footb...ashington.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After being fired by the Nebraska Cornhuskers, the peripatetic Mike Reilly considered returning to the CFL, but there were no offers, including in Winnipeg, where he had helped coach the Bombers to three Grey Cups in seven years.

Mike Riley's time in the CFL was relatively short, but it was a charmed existence.
    While spending three seasons at a defensive assistant coach in the mid-'80s, he helped Winnipeg end a 22-year title drought with a Grey Cup championship in 1984. When he returned to the Blue Bombers as a head coach after a one-year absence, he guided the club to its most recent Grey Cup titles in 1988 and 1990. Seven years, three championships. And he reached the division final in each of his four seasons as head coach.
    After being fired by the University of Nebraska last November, he said he would have considered a return to Canada. "I did not get any calls," said Riley. "I didn't even know if there were any appropriate openings. I didn't really know anything about what was going on but I would've been open to that. I've always wondered in the back of my mind if I wouldn't have ended up in Canada. Either coaching or managing or whatever. I didn't know if anyone would necessarily be interested. Because we enjoyed it so much. I personally, in my own mind, have always thought of that." ...

There have been frequent moves and just as many jobs. Mike Riley, 64, has seen and experienced a lot in more than 40 years as a football lifer. He started a new chapter last month as the assistant head coach and tight ends assistant at Oregon State after a three-year stint as the head coach of the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers ended with his firing last November.
    There was an undeniable comfort in the new job. Riley, one of the most celebrated coaches in the history of the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers, was going home — literally. He was returning to Corvalis, Ore., his football perch for 14 years and two previous stints with the Beavers football program. This time, though, he wasn't the man in charge — spurning other college offers to work for incoming head coach Jonathan Smith, a person who had played for him 20 years ago. ...
    It seems unlikely to be Riley's swan song. But his early exit from Nebraska — he was fired after going 4-8 in 2017, the school's worst record since 1961 — still stings. "I probably made some mistakes in the foundation of the way we built it," said Riley, who went 6-7 and 9-4 in his first two seasons in Lincoln. "We inherited a different style of quarterback so we adapted as best we could and actually won nine games in the second year which was a good year, not a great year. At one time we were in the top 10 and we were 7-0, undefeated for a long part of the season."
    https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...474721583.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Too bad that the Alouettes didn't give Riley a call when they had their opening.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers are wooing Henoc Muamba, as are the Alouettes, by hosting him during couple of day visit to Winnipeg in order to strengthen their LB and National core of players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jeff Hamilton discusses why the Bombers are putting so much effort into wooing Muamba:

What the Bombers hope is he will return for training camp in May with his name signed to a contract for the 2018 season.

In order to achieve that goal, the Bombers are showing Muamba how much the organization has evolved. Muamba was the Blue Bombers' first overall pick in the 2011 CFL Draft. He spent three seasons in Winnipeg, where in his his final year, in 2013, he earned multiple team awards, including most outstanding player, most outstanding defensive player and most outstanding Canadian.
    But as good as Muamba was, the Bombers were just as bad, finishing the 2013 season dead last in the East Division, with a record of 3-15. In the three years Muamba was in Winnipeg, the Bombers went 19-35, which left a sour taste in his mouth.
    Things have changed, and the club wants to make that clear to Muamba. With a new leadership group now in place, Winnipeg has gone 23-13 over the past two seasons. ...
    What makes Muamba such an important piece to the Bombers’ puzzle — and why they are going to such lengths to acquire him – is that he would not only improve what has, for years, been a struggling defence, but also fill a spot at a middle linebacker position that has underperformed for just as long. The fact he’s Canadian makes him all the more valuable, giving Winnipeg added flexibility with the ratio. ...

Winnipeg is one of just two locations Muamba is said to be scouting. He visited the Alouettes — who, like Winnipeg, are also under a new management regime (though Montreal still has the same owner in Robert Wetenhall) — last week and they gave him a similar sales pitch. But unlike the Bombers, the Alouettes are coming off another dismal season (3-15) and are currently in a heavy rebuild.
    While the optics might rub some the wrong way, Muamba entitled to test the market. He’s a premier Canadian player, playing a position coveted by every team across the league. Both the Bombers and Alouettes could use him.
    It helps that Muamba is coming off his best season in the CFL since he last played for the Bombers. As a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, he finished the 2017 season with 82 tackles in 17 games and was named the team’s top Canadian.
    One possible hitch: sources say he is dealing with knee issues. But others close to the player, some of who worked closely with him last season, say there is nothing to worry about at this stage.
    https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...475188763.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Jeff Hamilton discusses why the Bombers are putting so much effort into wooing Muamba:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...475188763.html

Makes so much sense if the Bombers could afford him: adding one of the best MLBs (IMO) in the CFL at an area of glaring need; gets to go back to the CFL team that drafted him and where he first showed he could be an excellent pro player.

Love to see this happen - we shall see though - his agent might be making tough demands.

Bombers with Muamba and Loffler down the middle of their D = 2 very good Canadian talents for the D; they lost Westerman as a starting NI on their D; maybe last year's first overall Faith Ekakitie can step up to claim a starting DT job; young DE Trent Corney is very talented and will probably play in the rotation again, but i doubt he gets a full-time spot - but those 2 could play in a rotation for a 3rd NI starter on D.

Sounds like they will be going back to 3 NI starters on the O-line with Bond lost in FA; Harris is a sure-fire starter at RB (with Lafrance (Winterpeg guy)) added to back him up); they also added FA Nik Demski at receiver - another Winnipeg guy.

I thought Walters & O'Shea would really get having faith in Canadian talent in the CFL; I'm not convinced yet, but adding Muamba might help.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Looks like Muamba is strongly leaning towards signing with Winnipeg. When a Bomber fan sent out a tweet he was impatiently awaiting Muamba signing with the Blue and Gold, Muamba replied:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bomber OC Paul LaPolice said on Winnipeg's CJOB's podcast that Nic Demski may play RB at times in the Bomber offence because he's fast and has short space quickness. This would give the Bombers 3 National RBs with Demski playing there in addition to Andrew Harris and Kienan Lafrance.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Found this when reading about Muamba heading to Winnipeg. "There is one easy way to create some room: release defensive end Tristan Okpalaugo" - would be a perfect replacement for Butler and something I predicted would happen awhile back, if true.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Found this when reading about Muamba heading to Winnipeg. "There is one easy way to create some room: release defensive end Tristan Okpalaugo" - would be a perfect replacement for Butler and something I predicted would happen awhile back, if true.

Why would the Bombers just release a top CFL DE ? - that would be stupid IMO

OTOH - the pair of import DTs (Nevis & "Pooh" Johnson) they played last year were average or more like mediocre; i highly doubt Nevis was signed away from the Ticats for league minimum. And i wouldn't be paying Mo Leggett real big CFL bucks for some big plays and a lot of average play at OLB either; They could find LOTS of ways to save money rather than getting rid of a top DE like Okpo; paying Durant big back-up bucks was a real dumb move IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Why would the Bombers just release a top CFL DE ? - that would be stupid IMO

OTOH - the pair of import DTs (Nevis & "Pooh" Johnson) they played last year were average or more like mediocre; i highly doubt Nevis was signed away from the Ticats for league minimum. And i wouldn't be paying Mo Leggett real big CFL bucks for some big plays and a lot of average play at OLB either; They could find LOTS of ways to save money rather than getting rid of a top DE like Okpo; paying Durant big back-up bucks was a real dumb move IMO.
    He is reportedly the highest paid import Dlineman in the league, about to make 178k this year. Jeffcoat probably makes league minimum so there you go.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    He is reportedly the highest paid import Dlineman in the league, about to make 178k this year. Jeffcoat probably makes league minimum so there you go.
    OK - so (IMO) you pay top dollar for stud / league best level at their position players - like Okpo (who is up there with Jefferson or Charleston Hughes as league best DE level IMO); how much are the Bummers paying Durant ?; or Nevis or Leggett ? - those are clearly not best in league type talent (though i guess some would argue Leggett is - not me though) . They want to cheap-out though and replace Okpo with a mediocre like Craig Roh though ? - that's laughable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    OK - so (IMO) you pay top dollar for stud / league best level at their position players - like Okpo (who is up there with Jefferson or Charleston Hughes as league best DE level IMO); how much are the Bummers paying Durant ?; or Nevis or Leggett ? - those are clearly not best in league type talent (though i guess some would argue Leggett is - not me though) . They want to cheap-out though and replace Okpo with a mediocre like Craig Roh though ? - that's laughable.
    There will be a price to pay to sign Muamba. That price could end up being quite steep for the Bombers.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    There will be a price to pay to sign Muamba. That price could end up being quite steep for the Bombers.

Like I said - the price to sign Durant - who looked like total $hite last year as he skipped passes in the dirt for the Als - was guaranteed quite steep for the Bummers - all for the sake of having an "experienced" QB on your roster rather than having some guts to develop your own young guys behind a veteran starter in Nichols.

I'd take Okpo at DE and Muamba at MLB in my defence any day over having a done Durant around for some kind of laughable insurance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't disagree with you. Just saying that they have put themselves in a cap crunch, and might feel that Jeffcoat is a much better bargain than Okpo. The only thing I disagree with you on is Leggett. He was by far the best player on their D last year. After he was injured, their D was giving up 400 yard passing games pretty much every game. IMO, the best SAM in the league.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't disagree with you. Just saying that they have put themselves in a cap crunch, and might feel that Jeffcoat is a much better bargain than Okpo.
    If Okpalaugo is released he may find he will have to settle for a lot less as I suspect many teams are getting close to their cap, reducing the amount of competition for him. I'd love to see him back with the Argos, but I doubt that is going to happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    2017 first overall draft choice DT Faith Ekakitie hopes to expand his playing this year. It's good to see he admits he had a problem last year as this is the first step in correcting it.

Ekakitie suited up for 14 games last year as a Bomber, seeing time as a rotational tackle along the defensive line. But his impact, admittedly, was limited as he finished the year with five tackles.
    “It was a huge learning experience,” said Ekakitie. “I remember being asked a year ago what my goals were and they were to come in and contribute to the team. Looking back, I feel like I didn’t give myself the chance to compete for as much playing time as I would have liked.
    “Part of that was circumstance, but a lot of it is just on me. Coming into camp, to put it bluntly, I was too fat and out of shape.” ...

"I wasn’t where I wanted to be at the beginning of my career at Iowa and I’m not where I want to be at the beginning of my career as a professional. But I did get where I wanted to be at Iowa and I feel like the biggest thing is having faith in myself. It may not happen when I want it to happen, but at some point it will happen if I stick to it."
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/03/...eady-year-two/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    CFL Hall of Famer Doug Brown argues below that the Bombers need to sign Henoc Muamba.

There are countless reasons why Henoc could be a catalyst for the 2018 defence, not least of which would be offsetting the loss of Jamaal Westerman to Montreal. Not only is he an all-star-calibre player with the right kind of passport, like Westerman, but he is the kind of tenured, travelled and respected voice and leader you would want filling the void that Westerman’s departure has certainly left.

Most importantly, however, would be the impact that his insertion into the heart of the defence would have on the defensive dozen. To be an elite defence — heck, to even just be a good defence — you need strength down the middle of the field. You need players who can push up front and others who can discourage a passing attack inside of the numbers. If an opponent can’t run up the middle, and is also concerned about health and ball security issues from throws over the middle, then you have effectively eliminated the most linear area on the football field.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...476557463.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    HC Mike O'Shea discusses how important long-term Bomber Mo Leggett and free agent signing Chandler Fenner.

ike O’Shea says Chandler Fenner was at the top of the Bombers free agent list.
    “Defensively he’s a very active, very aggressive player and you add on top of that 27 special teams tackles, so he’s going to make our special teams unit better as well as our defence. But the added bonus you get from him is a guy who is committed to playing special teams,” O’Shea, the blue and gold head coach, told Bob Irving on 680 CJOB in Winnipeg. ...

“When I spoke with him it’s evident that he certainly puts a big emphasis on it and wants to play, so he’s going to make us better in two facets of the game. Anytime you can land a guy who is going to help you in two of the three phases that’s a real bonus,” O’Shea said. That kind of leadership you don’t have to speak a lot. You go out there and you run down on kick-off, then you play defence, then you play punt return, then you run out on punt, your teammates notice.”

Leggett has been in Richie Hall’s scheme since the defensive coordinator came to Winnipeg for the 2015 season.
    “Obviously we like Mo’s play-making ability and he’s been in our system and understands the defence front and back. We have no problem slotting Mo in a couple different spots and see how it plays out,” O’Shea said.
    Leggett suffered a season-ending Achilles tear while bringing down an onside kick late in the Bombers’ win over the Lions in Week 17. ...

“It does look good for training camp,” O’Shea said in regards to when Leggett could be back to full health.

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/13/chandler-fenner-mo-leggett-give-bombers-defence-an-advantage/