Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After being released by the Als, Winnipeg has signed Kenny Stafford to a two year contract.

The 26-year-old Columbus native spent part of last season with Montreal, where in nine games he caught 16 receptions for 218 yards and two touchdowns. Stafford’s best season came in 2015, hauling in 47 receptions for 732 yards and nine touchdowns in 18 regular season games with Edmonton. He also recorded four receptions for 100 yards and a touchdown in the 2015 playoffs, helping Edmonton win the 103rd Grey Cup.
    “Kenny is an experienced receiver in our league, with great athletic ability and big play capability,” said Blue Bombers general manager Kyle Walters. “He’s got the range to go up and get the football and he’s a competitor. We’re very confident he will fit comfortably into our locker room, and are excited about what he will bring to our offence.”
    http://www.cfl.ca/2017/01/17/bombers...two-year-deal/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo Receiver Darvin Adams has extended with the Bombers through 2019.

But Adams, 27, says when an NFL workout with Cincinnati didn't produce anything south of the border, he was ready to commit, long-term.
    “For one, they have always given me a chance to show my abilities,” he said. “They've always trusted in me and the things I do. Where I'm from, loyalty is very important and family is a big thing. And Winnipeg is like a family and loyalty is showed there. So I want to keep up my part of the deal.
    “I'm glad the team wants me for that long. We're moving in the right direction towards winning a Grey Cup. We started a new movement there, trying to win ball games. And I just want to be a part of it.”
    In 2015, his first with Winnipeg after two in Toronto, Adams caught 61 passes for 839 yards and six touchdowns.
    You wonder what kind of numbers an improving Adams could produce if he stays healthy.
    Adams didn't want to speculate during his conference call with reporters, Monday.
    http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/01/1...p-end-receiver

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Winnipeg has extended QB Matt Nichols for three years, after GM Kyle Walters at the end of last month that negotiations had reached a snag.

Financial details on the new deal for Nichols are not being disclosed by the team.

Nichols says he’s thrilled to be back in blue and gold and never really considered leaving.
    “I’m grateful for the opportunity that Kyle Walters and Coach O’Shea gave me when they acquired me in 2015,” says Nichols. “That was the beginning of a fresh start for me, and I was able to get a full opportunity last season. I truly feel we are on the precipice of great things with this organization from top to bottom, and I’m appreciative that they feel I am the quarterback to lead them there.”
    Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters says getting his pivot to sign on the dotted line was definitely top priority in a busy off season.
    http://www.cjob.com/2017/01/18/bombe...r-quarterback/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jamaal Westerman discusses his offseason and preparation for the upcoming season in this video.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/01/19/off-sea...aal-westerman/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's an extended interview with Matt Nichols including comments on the signing of former teammate Kenny Stafford and current teammate and former Argo Darvin Adams.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/1...-winding-road/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jay Steinberg discusses whether Matt Nichols can be the guy to lead the Bombers to even more success below.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/01/23/steinbe...st-hill-climb/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have an article on CFL/NFL prospect and University of Manitoba homeboy prospect Geoff Gray, so obviously they wouldn't mind getting him in the draft, other things being equal.

That last answer is a peek at what makes the 6-6, 310-pound Gray one of the most intriguing prospects heading into the Canadian Football League Draft in May. And possibly as an NFL prospect like former Bisons Izzy Idonije and David Onyematta.
    Gray is ridiculously strong – he is also a competitive Olympic lifter – and carries his weight well on his frame. Just as impressive is the intelligence he brings to the game and his leadership, as he was one of the Bison’s captains this past season.
    Currently ranked fifth in the CFL’s Scouting Bureau draft rankings, Gray was invited to the East-West Shrine Game in Florida – along with Laval receiver Antony Duclair of Laval.
    Gray said his week leading up to last Saturday’s bowl game was a whirlwind that combined the mental and physical testing along with all the on-field work. He was an unknown to most heading into the week, but exited feeling he had made a favourable impression.
    It helps, too, that Idonije and Onyematta have blazed a trail before him. ...

It was a really good experience. It was definitely more than I anticipated. The football down there is totally different than anything up here.”
    Gray threw a key block in the Shrine Game’s only TD – an 18-yard TD run by Eli McGuire – and got a shout-out during the NFL Network’s telecast of the game from analyst Mike Mayock.
    “I had some people come up to me after practice and say, ‘We really had no idea who you were beforehand’ but seemed to be impressed with what I did,” said Gray.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/2...-manitoba-map/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The following article discusses where the team is at in terms of players signed, potential free agents and money spent so far.

Just as mammoth is the price tag, paying Nichols an average of more than $400,000 over the course of the three-year contract.
    And with that deal now out of the way and with the Canadian Football League’s free agent market scheduled to open Feb. 14th a basic question remains for the Bombers: Now what? ...

Seven names on the Bombers prospective free agent list have been signed or had their contracts extended in Nichols, kicker Justin Medlock, left tackle Stanley Bryant, receivers Darvin Adams and Gerrard Sheppard, long snapper Chad Rempel and quarterback Dom Davis (a full list of transactions, signings and extensions can be found here).
    Newcomer Kenny Stafford – ex of the Montreal Alouettes – was also added this week while veteran pivot Kevin Glenn was released, by his request, to have a chance to test the market for his services earlier.
    That leaves 13 players still unsigned and inching closer to becoming free agents: receivers Clarence Denmark, Rory Kohlert, Quincy McDuffie and Tori Gurley; linebackers Khalil Bass, Tony Burnett, Sam Hurl and Jesse Briggs; defensive tackle Euclid Cummings; safety Macho Harris; defensive back Teague Sherman; offensive lineman Jeff Keeping, and fullback/linebacker James Tuck.
    That’s a lot of talent with undecided futures, and it’s all but a given not all of them will be back in 2017. That’s simply the reality in trying to fit all those pieces onto the depth chart while staying under the salary cap. ...
    We kind of put in our 2017 cap numbers and who fits in where and if we sign this guy, where does he fit and who’s got to go,” explained Walters. “There’s still another month where we control the rights of all the pending free agents… so you’ll see more of those guys getting offers. ...

Walters also said the free agent landscape is already shaping up to be an intriguing one. With more players than ever signing one-year deals, teams are opting to lock up their quarterbacks to big-dollar contracts. Ditto for star position players, whether they are receivers, running backs or linebackers.
    The fallout from that is a wage scale that will see high-end talent getting their dollars and more teams relying on the CFL Draft and U.S. scouting to find younger, cheaper talent to fill in some of the gaps on the depth chart.
    And that means the veteran spot starter or depth player who has carved out a decent career may be feeling a financial squeeze come Feb. 14th.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/2...ching-numbers/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers are expecting a performance at least close to that of an All-Star year from Matt Nichols considering the money that they have invested in him.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...tball/bombers/

Don
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

PLAYER POS NAT/INT STATUS
    Adams, Darvin WR International Extended (01/16/17)
    Bass, Khalil LB International
    Briggs, Jesse LB National
    Bryant, Stanley OL International Extended (01/03/17)
    Burnett, Tony LB International
    Cummings, Euclid DL International
    Davis, Dominique QB International Extended (01/04/17)
    Denmark, Clarence WR International
    Glenn, Kevin QB International Released (01/06/17)
    Gurley, Tori WR International
    Harris, Macho CB International
    Hurl, Sam LB National
    Keeping, Jeff OL National
    Kohlert, Rory WR National
    McDuffie, Quincy WR International Released (01/31/17) (NFL)
    Medlock, Justin K International Extended (01/03/17)
    Nichols, Matt QB International Extended (01/18/17)
    Rempel, Chad WR National Extended (12/19/16)
    Sheppard, Gerrard WR International Extended (01/04/17)
    Sherman, Teague DB National
    Tuck, James FB National
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former DT Argo Euclid Cummings seems likely to hit the free agency market. In addition the Bombers have released DT Keith Shologan, who signed with the Als, as well as Pascal Lochard.

The Bombers announced Tuesday the release of veteran defensive tackle Keith Shologan along with fullback Pascal Lochard – both Canadians – just two weeks before the opening of the Canadian Football League’s free agent market.
    As well, import defensive tackle Euclid Cummings – added last year along with Shologan during the Bombers free agent spending spree – seems destined to hit the open market on Feb. 14thafter seeing his quarterback sack total drop from eight to three.
    “It’s a tough business,” said Bombers GM Kyle Walters. “Veteran guys have higher salaries and as we head into free agency there’s some tough decisions that need to be made as you try to set yourself up for this year. This was one of them.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/31/d-line-changes/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Argo and Eskimo Jason Vega has signed a one day contract with the Bombers so that he can finish his career with them.

The 29-year-old Brockton, Massachusetts product has long had a different take on professional football to dispel any lingering anger or bitterness that might come with walking away from the game.
    And so, Vega will slap his name on a one-day contract with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers today and retire as a member of the blue and gold without a trace of regret or remorse.
    That – leaving on his own terms – makes him unique in a profession often described this way: ‘Great game, crappy business.’
    “I’ve always had a somewhat detached view of football,” began Vega in a chat with bluebombers.com. “It was always one where I played it because I enjoyed it, not because I had to. That was something my mom instilled in me when I was younger and it helped me keep it in perspective; that I wasn’t going to play football forever and I needed to have a plan for after the game.
    “So for me to walk away from it isn’t overly difficult because I know there are much more important things… family, for me, is prime in every situation. And now that I have a son who was born in October it made it easier for me to say, ‘It’s time.’” ...

his Canadian Football League career officially began with the Bombers in 2011 and, after taking his NFL shot with the New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys in 2013, he returned to Winnipeg in 2014.
    He spent 2015 with the Toronto Argonauts and then finished up last year with the Edmonton Eskimos. And it was before his last regular season game last November – a 41-17 Eskimo win over the Toronto Argonauts in which he had three tackles and a sack – that Vega knew his finish line was near.
    “This is something that I’ve been considering for a while,” said Vega. “In 2015 when I ended up playing in Toronto I had a feeling I might be done. I went out there and played and then going into last year’s offseason I was focussed on removing the whole idea of playing football and moving forward.
    “Then the opportunity came up to play for Edmonton and I talked to my wife about it. She said, ‘Just give it another go and make sure you’re done with it and if you are, you are. I’ll support you either way.’
    “It really hit me the last regular season game of this past season,” added Vega.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/0...hifting-focus/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have signed International rookie receiver Alex Chisum.

Chisum (6-3, 200, Cincinnati, November 6, 1992, in Fayetteville, GA) played four seasons with the Bearcats, with his most productive coming as a senior in 2015. That year he hauled in 38 passes for 475 yards and one score. Over his career, he totaled 88 receptions for over 1,150 yards and five majors. He recently spent time in camp with the Detroit Lions.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/0...r-alex-chisum/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With the signing of former Argo Tristan Okpalaugo, along with resignings of key players, Winnipeg has greatly reduced its cap space and expects to be fairly quiet during free agency.

Kyle Walters has done a good chunk of his free agent shopping early and, in the process, crossed off the top item on his wish list.
    The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced the addition of defensive end Tristan Okpalaugo on Thursday and the club’s GM confirmed he has been in his crosshairs for months. ...

The money allotted to him – along with quarterback Matt Nichols, Darvin Adams and new receiver Kenny Stafford – means the Bombers’ approach to free agency when it opens on Tuesday will dramatically contrast that of the previous couple of years.
    There is less desperation to fill holes, although there will be some jobs up for grabs when training camp opens in late May.
    “We’ve done a lot of our work, just the way it shaped up this year, versus waiting to start the day free agency started,” said Walters. “We were able to get Kenny and Tristan and with their situations, we were able to get this done before free agency, which is nice.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/02/0...ncy-predicted/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Paul Wiecek argues that the Bombers are being reckless in using Dominique Davis as Matt Nichols backup, as he did not complete a single pass in 2016 and has played only one meaningless game at the end of the 2015 season. Perhaps they will go after Cato to get a little more experience at QB.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...413449603.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Looks like former Argo Julian Feoli-Gudino will be competing for a starting National WR job with Kohlert heading for free agency.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With Euclid Cummings not extending, it looks like the Bombers could be looking for a DT with the first overall pick.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have signed two first year players, Internationals WR Xavier Rush and db Johs Celerin

Rush graduated from Tulane University and in four seasons with the Green Wave, the 6'3'' receiver caught 99 balls for over 1300 yards and 12 touchdowns. The Stillwater, Okla.-native was looked to for big plays in his senior year and averaged just short of 20 yards per reception. Rush most recently is coming off a season with the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles, where he signed as an undrafted free agent in Feb. 2016.
    Celerin played three seasons at Central Connecticut State University, where he racked up 133 tackles in 32 games. As a senior, the Tampa, Fla.-native transferred to Jacksonville University and had a strong year. The 6'0'' defensive back tallied 63 tackles, including eight and a half for a loss, seven pass breakups, and an interception in 2015.
    http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/article/blue-b...nings-1.669518