Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Why do I have a feeling they are not going to be able to repeat last season's on field success? Everything went right for them last season. Can't see Matt Nichols doing it again. Just my opinion.
    I will tell you why they won't be as successful. Winnipeg benefitted from some horrible officiating last season ( Ricky Foley RTP call and Andrew Harris's non fumble against BC late in the year). To be fair Winnipeg had some real bad calls again st them in 2015.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm not sold on Nichols as a good starting CFL QB who can lead them far either; plus they got predictable ole LaPo running their offence - but they do have good talent on O-line, Harris at RB; receiver group nothing special though.\

It's on D where they might be able to build a strong unit - maybe league best - particularly with their D-backfield and that is so important in the all-pass CFL now; need a real good MLB to step-up though and again, IMO, they would be smart to draft either of Mulumba T or Herdman and give them a real shot.

Medlock is a great place kicker, but only average at best as a punter - they would be smart to find a better punter.

I'll expect the Bombers to be above .500 and maybe challenge for 1st in a maybe strong West - the Stamps should be good still; BC maybe real dangerous with the talent they have on offence; and the Esks could maybe be very good too; Riders should hold down last place in the West no problem ;o)

I could see a West cross-over again with the Argos a big question mark, and Montreal re-tooling with so many changes on offence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have added receivers T J Lowder to their roster.

Lowder (5-11, 185, Florida Tech, July 19, 1993 in Panama City, FL) spent his first three collegiate years at Florida International before transferring to Florida Tech. Lowder played in all 11 games as a senior in 2015, while being named Second Team All-GSC. He finished sixth in the conference in receptions (46), seventh in yards receiving (616) and 10th in touchdowns (5), while tying a school record with 14 receptions in a game against Southeastern Louisiana.
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/04/...er-t-j-lowder/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Receiver T J Thorpe has signed with Winnipeg.

Thorpe spent time with the NFL’s Washington Redskins before being released prior to the start of last season. He received All-ACC honours while playing for the North Carolina Tar Heels. Thorpe finished his collegiate career at Virgina, catching 23 passes for 321 yards and a touchdown.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3378232/wi...ver-to-roster/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    As so often happens, the building of a new stadium for the Bombers ends up in controversy and a possible soaking of the taxpayer.

Last edited by jerrym; 04-15-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    IG Field construction was far from perfect, the location at the University of Manitoba isn't great, but what a great stadium to watch a CFL game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Bombers have added Internationals RB Johnta Hebert and LB Jeremy Grable to their TC roster.

Hebert (5-10, 195, Prairie View A&M, December 10, 1993 in Baton Rouge, LA) finished his career with over 3,000 rushing yards, 1,300 receiving yards, more than 3,000 return yards and 33 touchdowns. Hebert was with the Riders in training camp last season.

Grable
    (6-0, 200, Valdosta State, June 21, 1991 in Milton, GA) totalled 190 tackles in his two seasons as a starter, accumulating 259 total tackles along with 6.5 sacks and two interceptions in his four seasons at Valdosta State. Grable started 27 games in college before signing with Tampa Bay of the NFL.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/04/1...-added-roster/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    IG Field construction was far from perfect, the location at the University of Manitoba isn't great, but what a great stadium to watch a CFL game.
    The extent of the stadium problems and the subsequent proof of shoddy workmanship that resulted in the taxpayers so far having to cover the bill is not changed by your point and will take two more years to complete. Hopefully, the lawsuit will recover the additional expenses because this will until this happens repeatedly we can expect more of the same. The Big Owe in Montreal took 30 years to pay off. I once met the girlfriend of one of the construction workers on Montreal's Olympic Stadium. She told me that cement trucks would drive through the site and be checked off five times without unloading their load and all the construction workers were receiving double pay to keep their mouths shut. Winnipeg's problems are not on the same scale but the attitude is the same. At least we haven't reached the height of American extravagance where Atlanta Braves new just opened stadium was $1.1 billion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunTrust_Park) and the new Las Vegas football is estimated to cost $1.9 billion with updates to come no doubt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas_Stadium). A small blessing for Canada I guess.

Winnipeggers are getting a fresh look at the extensive repairs being done to the Investors Group Field. The fixes are at the centre of a legal fight between the consortium that runs the facility, the builder and the architect.
    Dozens of construction workers were cutting and fitting paving stones and sealing joints with thick black tar Monday as repairs continue in an effort to complete the work before the Winnipeg Blue Bomber training camp starts.Crews worked through the winter under giant tents at both ends of the stadium to plug leaks and fix drainage. The concrete in the end zones was torn up and re-graded and waterproof membranes have been installed. ....
    Repairs to the faulty concrete and drainage at Winnipeg's Investors Group Field will take two more years to complete. ...

In a statement last Thursday, Triple B's chair Andrew Konowalchuk re-asserted the group's position that the cost for the repairs are the responsibility of the contractor that built the stadium — Stuart Olson — and the architect who designed the building, Ray Wan.
    The Progressive Conservative government has promised to work with Manitoba's Auditor General to find out why the stadium required so much repair work just shortly after it was opened.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...bers-1.4072873

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Marshall Ferguson looks at who the Bombers are likely to draft #1 overall.

So what should the Bombers do at first overall?
    If history is any method of prediction the Blue and Gold will select a hulking lineman of the offensive or defensive variety to anchor the trenches for – they hope – years to come. Seventeen top picks since 1994 have been lineman.
    Eleven of them selected to protect quarterbacks (1994 – St. Germain, 1995 – Nutten, 1997 – Folk, 2002 – Gauthier, 2003 – Morley, 2004 – Smith, 2009 – Rottier, 2012 – Heenan, 2014 – Lavertu, 2015 – Mateas, 2016 – St. John) and six to chase the CFL’s high value pocket passers (1998 – Fleiszer, 1999 – Meier, 2001 – Schultz, 2005 – Robede, 2006 – Braidwood, 2013 – Gaydosh).
    http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/21/ferguso...s-1st-overall/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The extent of the stadium problems and the subsequent proof of shoddy workmanship that resulted in the taxpayers so far having to cover the bill is not changed by your point and will take two more years to complete. Hopefully, the lawsuit will recover the additional expenses because this will until this happens repeatedly we can expect more of the same. The Big Owe in Montreal took 30 years to pay off. I once met the girlfriend of one of the construction workers on Montreal's Olympic Stadium. She told me that cement trucks would drive through the site and be checked off five times without unloading their load and all the construction workers were receiving double pay to keep their mouths shut. Winnipeg's problems are not on the same scale but the attitude is the same. At least we haven't reached the height of American extravagance where Atlanta Braves new just opened stadium was $1.1 billion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunTrust_Park) and the new Las Vegas football is estimated to cost $1.9 billion with updates to come no doubt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas_Stadium). A small blessing for Canada I guess.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...bers-1.4072873
    I am pretty sure ambitious stadium projects that include all levels of government, Blue Bomber ownership, University of Manitoba and the Shaw family with unrealistic deadlines must be important to coordinate. It's a work in progress that although not complete, is a beauty. Whether or not the taxpayers pay the bill, will have to do with the words in the contract signed.

We have huge infrastructure project out here, the E407 toll road under construction. The tendering companies know the drawings are unworkable, but bid low knowing that the out-of-scope work will more than make up for the original contract work. They have been tearing up new work and replacing it. Then tears up that work and replacing it again? They're making a fortune.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Alouette discusses coming to Winnipeg at the Bomber mini-camp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers #4 ranked QB, Myles Carr, discusses Canada, the CFL and his game below.

“Coming into here I have no knowledge whatsoever of Canadian football,” Carr said after the first day of Winnipeg Blue Bombers mini-camp.
    “I came out here the first day and I didn’t realize how wide the field was so I was skipping a lot of the field throws. I’m starting to get used to it. It’s process.”
    Carr comes to Winnipeg from the Texas A&M-Kingsville Javelinas, where he was second all-time in passing. He threw for 2,702 yards and 31 touchdowns, with only eight interceptions, last season.
    He’s the fourth quarterback on the Bombers roster, behind starter Matt Nichols and backups Dominique Davis and Dan LeFevour.
    “They just want somebody who is going to come in here and learn the offence and just compete,” the 22-year-old from Pasadena, Calif., said. “I feel like that’s what I’ve been doing.”
    This is his first time in Canada, and had to research Winnipeg before coming north, but he believes he has the type of game that can be successful in the CFL.
    “I’m a competitor,” he said, when asked to describe himself as a quarterback. “I like the camaraderie and the competition of this game.
    “Definitely throw first, but if the pocket breaks down I can use my legs as well.”
    http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/04/2...wn-road-in-cfl

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    LB Nick Temple discusses why he thinks he can move from the practice roster to the regular lineup in this video.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Matt Nichols gives his impression of the new Bombers:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Matt Nichols discusses how he sees things now that he is the starting Bomber QB at the beginning of the season.

“Honestly, going into this season feels more normal to me than my last seven seasons have been because from second grade all the way through college, I was always the starting quarterback,” Nichols said before he and backup quarterbacks Dominique Davis and Dan LeFevour met fans for an autograph session inside the team store.
    “So this honestly feels more natural to me than coming in as the second or third guy like I have most of my career.” ...
    The Eastern Washington grad has been working hard to keep the reins and build on last year’s success.

“You always feel like you’ve always worked your hardest, but I can say without a doubt this is the hardest I’ve worked in an off-season and I’m looking forward to getting going with the guys,” he said.
    That work has included watching a lot more game film of himself and other CFL quarterbacks and implementing his findings into his training.
    “I’ve really gone back and looked at the things I feel I can get better at,” he said.
    He also views himself, Davis and LeFevour as a trio that will help push each other.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/04/26/bl...g-quarterback/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have released 12 player as they get down to the 75 man roster.

INT quarterback Myles Carr
    INT receiver Di’Andre Campbell
    INT receiver Rashon Ceaser
    INT receiver Xavier Rush
    INT receiver Alex Chisum
    INT defensive back Jeremy Harris
    INT running back Johnta Hebert
    INT defensive back Tre’ Hunter
    INT defensive back Keith Lewis
    INT linebacker Will Smith
    NTL defensive lineman Brandon Tennant
    NTL linebacker Akeem Whonder
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/0...yers-released/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers hope they have found a speedy WR/KR in Kieran Duncan.

Duncan is a 23-year-old product of Div. II Colorado State-Pueblo, who is looking to make his mark as a receiver and kick returner in the CFL.
    He signed with the Bombers last fall after getting cut by the NFL’s Chicago Bears and is now part of an intense competition for jobs in the team’s receiving corps. That competition will spill over into main training camp next month, for those who are lucky enough to garner invitations through mini-camp.
    Duncan certainly hopes to be a part of that and his speed and ability to return kicks certainly could give him an edge. He’s been an athlete as long as he can remember and takes great pride in talking about how his parents passed along their love of sports.
    “I was blessed,” says Duncan, who sports dreadlocks he has been working on since he was 13 years old. “I’ve been a returner since I started playing football, so that’s always been an added skill set of mine. My mom is Jamaican and she was a track runner. My dad is from Great Britain and he played pro football and ran track as well. He played American football in Great Britain.
    “He played college in America but before he got to America he played in a semi-pro league in Great Britain. He was big-time … he played quarterback , defensive back and dabbled at receiver as well. ...

He made enough of an impression last year to make sure he’s back here now,” Bombers coach Mike O’Shea said about the receiver and kick returner from Colorado State-Pueblo.
    “He didn’t miss a beat. He came in better than how he left in terms of understanding what we’re doing.”
    Duncan signed with the Bombers in late September last season and spent the rest of the season on the practice roster.
    http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/04/2...to-melting-pot

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Bombers have brought in a RB, Kendall Roberson, who rushed for 420 yards in a single game in college in the hope that it foreshadows a outstanding CFL career.

No matter what happens over the rest of his career, Blue Bombers hopeful Kendall Roberson will always have Oct. 24, 2015.
    On that day, the East Texas Baptist University running back rushed for a remarkable 420 yards and five touchdowns in a win over Bellhaven University.
    He is one of only 17 players in the history of NCAA football to have rushed for over 400 yards. His total is the eighth highest at any level and the fifth highest in NCAA Div. III.
    Despite not playing in the fourth quarter, he missed the all-time record by only 35 yards
    “I was trying to break the record,” Roberson said during Blue Bombers mini-camp at Investors Group Field on Thursday. “At halftime, I had 290 and the coach came in and said he might not play me in the third quarter as much. I said ‘Let me get to 400.’ And I got up to 400 and he said ‘You’re done.’ I said ‘Let me get to 500.” He said ‘You’re pushing it.’ So I didn’t play all four quarters.”
    Roberson, 23, is trying to parlay his strong collegiate career into a job in the CFL. It won’t be easy in Winnipeg, where Canadian Andrew Harris and American Timothy Flanders are solid incumbents at the running back position.
    http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/04/2...rushed-for-420

Last edited by jerrym; 05-03-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Could this be the Bombers first overall draft choice?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former NFL DB Roc Carmichael wanted to sign with Winnipeg because of a personal connection with the Bombers Victor "Macho' Harris who played with the team last year.

Carmichael was far from soft, growing up to star at Viriginia Tech, then being selected in the fourth round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Houston Texans, before stints with the Philadelphia Eagles and Arizona Cardinals. ...
    Carmichael’s last days as a football player in the NFL were in 2015 with the Cards. He stepped away then to deal with some issues about which he didn’t want to elaborate.

Sadly, Carmichael’s father never saw any of this metamorphosis, as he passed away before he had even pulled on a Hokies jersey in college. And it’s here, indirectly, where this connection with the Bombers was born.
    Victor ‘Macho’ Harris, who spent last year with the Bombers, was already an established Hokies starter when Carmichael arrived. And when he heard of the passing of his father, a relationship was born that still stands today. ...
    “I retired. I had some family problems going on at home that I had to take care of,” said Carmichael. “I just couldn’t be in two places at once and my family is in Washington, D.C.”
    Carmichael kept in shape by training and coaching/training young prospects in the area, including his younger brother. But the fire to return to action never dissipated.
    “It’s the love for the game. It never stops,” said Carmichael. “It’s what I’ve been doing for as long as I can remember. You never think you would have to stop playing, but I had to make that decision for my family. But I told myself I would take two years to help and then get back to it.” ...

“It’s fun being out there again. It took me a while to get a feel for the field and the ‘Waggle’, but just being in the locker room, being around the guys and their energy… like I said, that’s what I’ve been doing my whole life and without it, it hurt. I hated watching football. I could watch Virginia Tech games, but I couldn’t watch NFL games. I’d go out and watch little league and high school Friday and all day on Saturday. My love for the game never stopped.
    “This is an opportunity for me to get back in the locker room and be playing football again.”

And interestingly, the decision to return coincided with another conversation with Harris that led him north of the border to Manitoba.
    “I told (Harris) I think I want to give it another shot,” said Carmichael. “He told me I’d like Winnipeg… the stadium, the facilities, the team… everything.
    “This was my first choice. I told my agent, ‘Can we try Winnipeg and at least get a shot with Winnipeg?’ And now I’m here.”
    “It’s wild, isn’t it? It was Macho who helped me out almost 10 years ago now and I’m still following in his footsteps today.”