Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Exactly my point, jury is out as to this O-Line's ability to give any QB the time to throw which may suggest a mobile quarterback would be more effective.
    The way that O-Line played ... nothing less than "Flutie mobile" would have had half a chance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The way that O-Line played ... nothing less than "Flutie mobile" would have had half a chance.
    I agree. It's all about good, quick reads and execution. As I said, Ray looked very rusty to me at the start, then you dig a hole and it's hard to come out of. No different than the 3 games Harris played against Hamilton last year. Mistakes, and especially turnovers need to be eliminated.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If as you say "Flutie Mobile" would give half a chance we could be in for a long season.
    Let's see what happens.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree. It's all about good, quick reads and execution. As I said, Ray looked very rusty to me at the start, then you dig a hole and it's hard to come out of. No different than the 3 games Harris played against Hamilton last year. Mistakes, and especially turnovers need to be eliminated.
    Sure, let's see if they can make any of this happen next time they play Hamilton.
    Ray's rust was totally self inflicted due to the strategy to sit him during the pre-season.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It is an 18-game season, Edm looked awful against us last year in Week 1, and won the Grey Cup. I'm not planning on panicking until we lose at least two more games as badly as we lost this one. And I honestly don't expect that to happen.

And yes, Stevoman, the Ticats' unis have gotten worse. Not only the logo on the sleeve, but the unitard pyjama pants are big steps backward.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Ok, admittedly stupid observation here but I only saw half the game. It looked like Ricky Ray had the same play all night, granted he made completions but was there a running back for Toronto? Where were Durie and Coombs, did they play? I'm hoping that was rust for Ray because if it isn't the Argos are in trouble.

It was just a strange night all around that I don't know what to make of. The attendance was good but not good enough, the rating was good but not good enough, Ray made completions but he looked terrible. I'm just confused, I guess many of us had very high expectations. But aside from the brutal on field performance you'd have to call the overall event a success.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Sure, let's see if they can make any of this happen next time they play Hamilton.
    Ray's rust was totally self inflicted due to the strategy to sit him during the pre-season.
    And I don't disagree with that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree it's the first game of eighteen. It as a wonderful evening Thursday echoed by all, with exception to the Argos on field performance. Milanovich's only job was to prepare the team for this season and figure out a way to counter the absolute domination of the Ticats last season. He did neither. Barkers job was to find the players to put the right tools in Milanovich's hands to do his job. Most successful teams are deep at QB. Ottawa was a good example last night where it was seamless between Burriss and Harris. Their HOF QB went down and they looked great. I am pretty sure Kevin Glenn was available several times to us.

As a longterm fan, concerned about the sustainability of our franchise, I am concerned that Milanovich's success is often on the road, and upon return his team often lay eggs. No matter what events go on around the game, in the end, on field performance is critical. As such, I think unless at mid season this team gets rid if the mindless penalties and plays quality football at home, Bell Media and Larry Tanabaun will get rid of Milanovich's and Jim Barker. The owners are prepared to invest, but they also need the entertainment for the fans.

I have spent too many drives home listening to disheartened broadcasters expressing how frustrated this team can be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    in the end, on field performance is critical. As such, I think unless at mid season this team gets rid if the mindless penalties a
    Not to intentionally cherry pick from your post, but penalties were not an issue on Thursday. Argos were actually quite disciplined in that respect. Argos had 60 yards compared to 133 for the Cats.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    O line has to be better. D line has to be better. If these two areas don't improve it could be a long year. We need to win on Thursday.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yeah, if only we had Kevin Glenn everything would be great.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    In my view, Hamilton dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, a reflection of superior preparation and execution. They performed so consistently, operating as a cohesive unit, that even their (sloppy) penalties had minimal impact on the outcome and, they compensated for it to such a degree as to influence how the breaks would turn (the Fantuz touchdown, for example). They set the tone early that they were going to dominate (you could just sense it), and even when the Argos grabbed some momentum in the third quarter, their confidence and poise never wavered. By the same token, I also believe that the Argonauts' coaching staff and players, collectively, are just as capable of meeting this high standard. Either way, it's going to take a much larger body of evidence before a wholesale referendum on TEAM performance would make sense, say by the time they are eliminated from playoff contention.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yeah, if only we had Kevin Glenn everything would be great.
    At this point in time, I would take Glenn over Ray in a heartbeat.

Ray's mobility was never any good, but i think it's worse than ever. I think a QB with even average mobility would have been able to avoid a couple of those sacks. One guy getting through puts a hand on Ray and he's down.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Wow. Just wow.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Johno27 View Post
    In my view, Hamilton dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, a reflection of superior preparation and execution. They performed so consistently, operating as a cohesive unit, that even their (sloppy) penalties had minimal impact on the outcome and, they compensated for it to such a degree as to influence how the breaks would turn (the Fantuz touchdown, for example). They set the tone early that they were going to dominate (you could just sense it), and even when the Argos grabbed some momentum in the third quarter, their confidence and poise never wavered. By the same token, I also believe that the Argonauts' coaching staff and players, collectively, are just as capable of meeting this high standard. Either way, it's going to take a much larger body of evidence before a wholesale referendum on TEAM performance would make sense, say by the time they are eliminated from playoff contention.
    Excellent analysis altho I feel the Fantuz TD was pure good luck, nothing more than that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Ottawa was a good example last night where it was seamless between Burriss and Harris. Their HOF QB went down and they looked great.
    I guess you didn't read all the experts on this site who said that Harris' play in his last 4 games last year was proof that he was not a viable long-term option, and not worthy of a big contract offer. Never mind the fact those 4 games included "home" games in another city in front of 3,000 people in which the entire team was justifiably flat as a pancake.

And never mind the fact that Harris was arguably the League MVP for the first 3/4 of the season, leading the CFL in TD passes and completion% even at season's end. No, he played badly in the last 4 games so the early part of the season must have been a fluke, let's let the guy walk for nothing.

Can anybody seriously doubt today that Trevor Harris will be an effective QB in the CFL for years to come?

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Excellent analysis altho I feel the Fantuz TD was pure good luck, nothing more than that.
    Thanks Paul. Yes, "pure good luck" for sure. To clarify, what I was getting at is that it seems that serendipity seems to follow when teams are performing well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I guess you didn't read all the experts on this site who said that Harris' play in his last 4 games last year was proof that he was not a viable long-term option, and not worthy of a big contract offer. Never mind the fact those 4 games included "home" games in another city in front of 3,000 people in which the entire team was justifiably flat as a pancake.

And never mind the fact that Harris was arguably the League MVP for the first 3/4 of the season, leading the CFL in TD passes and completion% even at season's end. No, he played badly in the last 4 games so the early part of the season must have been a fluke, let's let the guy walk for nothing.

Can anybody seriously doubt today that Trevor Harris will be an effective QB in the CFL for years to come?
    I was in the keep Harris over Ray camp. I also believe SM offensive game plan hasbeen figured out by most teams in the league, and contributed to Harris’s poorplay in the last few games.
    But that ship has sailed, so we’ll have to see what SMand Ray do the next few games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level

Ray's mobility was never any good, but i think it's worse than ever. I think a QB with even average mobility would have been able to avoid a couple of those sacks. One guy getting through puts a hand on Ray and he's down.
    That's a pretty rich statement there Rich. lol. Kevin Glenn would get killed behind the current Argo O LIne. We all know that Ricky Ray is a stay at home QB, but he is still one of the best and accurate passer in the League IMO given time. I'm a big believer in tayloring your offensive game to match your personnel. With Ricky that means no back up caliber Lineman starting on the offensive line. Also a big tough RB like a 220 lb Jon Cornish type. However, the good ones don't grow on trees, which means some good old hard scouting, not just watching the NFL cut line.
    But having spouted off all that stuff again, I don't expect to see many changes in personnel except maybe Watman going to a back up role when McEwen is ready. Milanovich and Barker seem to have hung their hats on playing all Canadian offensive linemen and small RB's.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't think Barker and Milo thought that Ray was washed up so they thought they placed a solid O line in front of him. After one game they didn't play well. Ray didn't suck. Ray dropped some nice passes in. Once again if the O line shapes up we should be fine. If not you might have to try changing plays up and involving the young qb's more and more. You can't have Ray getting killed.