Reply to Thread
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Mens soccer has such a sucky culture.

First it was all of the diving and bad acting. Now Messi missed a penalty kick and Argentina lost so the next day he quit the national team. England gets upset so their coach quit as long time national coach. It's like the kid taking the ball and going home. You can see why many fans act the same.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    I've been a soccer fan about 20 years longer than those most of those scuzzy RPB have been alive, there's quite a few things I don't like about the game.

Having said that I don't think we need to go looking for trouble in this thread. It's a hard enough job defending our own game, we don't need to do like they do and go around looking to make new enemies. I think the RPB thread is just fine for venting and defending what we hold dear and I don't care for this thread to go out of its way to look for trouble, there's no need of it and it makes us as bad as them and that to me is the ultimate insult.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    The Messi resignation from the Argentina national team smacks of a spoiled little kid who didn't get his way and is throwing a tantrum. Also, Cristiano Ronaldo's little tirade about Iceland not going to do anything in the tournament (after his Portuguese team was held to a 0-0 draw by them) also smacked of "spoiled little brat" syndrome. As for the England coach resigning, he should. He shouldn't have allowed his players to take Iceland so lightly. Wasn't the experience of the Netherlands in the tournament qualifier enough of an example?(Netherlands didn't qualify for the tournament after losing both games against Iceland, FYI).

I agree with 1argoholic that the most ardent soccer fans are the most juvenile, and yes, they probably take their lead from the players.
    TFC supporter group members come by their juvenile behaviour honestly it appears.
    Note, however, that the majority of TFC fans are actually quite reasonable from my experiences with them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The vast majority of fans in all sports are good folk but ...

Sports in general can be full of sucky people. Plenty of tantrums from players and coaches with massive egos. Heck, even in the CFL we have examples of ego gone mad. A few years back there was a CFL coach that got so over inflated with his ego ... he physically attacked his QB as the QB came to the bench after an incompletion. But we see these acts of ego but we don't label the sport and the fans along with the egomaniac ... let alone see fans taking the degenerates lead and start attacking people.

As for diving? Hockey had diving. Hockey never had the bad acting because Canadian films were never as bad as most international films back in the day.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

As for diving? Hockey had diving. Hockey never had the bad acting because Canadian films were never as bad as most international films back in the day.
    Hockey has diving, but at least they don't lie there for minutes while the play is going on around them. Soccer diving is ridiculous. How much can falling on grass actually hurt?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The magic spray cures all.........................

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    The magic spray cures all.........................
    My favourite is when the stretcher comes on to carry off an "injured" player, and miraculously 10 feet from the sideline the player has recovered and get back into the play.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    First it was all of the diving and bad acting. Now Messi missed a penalty kick and Argentina lost so the next day he quit the national team. England gets upset so their coach quit as long time national coach. It's like the kid taking the ball and going home. You can see why many fans act the same.
    You might want to actually look into why things are happening instead of just ranting against a sport because you dislike it.

England's coach was going to be fired, that is why he resigned. It was either resign or be fired, so he was gone no matter what.

Messi's declaration of not playing for the Argentina national team has nothing to be with being a spoiled brat, but him being disgusted with how the AFA (Argentina Futbol Association) is run.

"Last week, AFA boss Luis Segura was indicted with six executives and three former presidential cabinet heads, with speculation that television money and riches from lucrative friendly matches was being pocketed or misused by executives and politicans. The AFA has been rudderless since predecessor Julio Grondona died in 2014 after 35 years in charge with unfettered power. In 2015, he was implicated into an investigation about multi-million dollar bribes relating to television rights.
    In 2015, an attempt to replace him ended in farcical circumstances when anti-corruption reformist Marcelo Tinelli and interim-president Segura tried to split 76 votes - despite there only being 75 eligible voters!
    On Friday, FIFA took control of Argentina’s federation due to the corruption crisis as another set of elections were postponed.
    Amidst this chaos, there remains uncertainty over the upcoming structure of the country’s upcoming domestic league season too.
    With all of this in mind, it’s possible that Messi’s premature retirement — along with that of several of his international teammates — is for political, rather than sporting reasons"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post

I agree with 1argoholic that the most ardent soccer fans are the most juvenile
    , and yes, they probably take their lead from the players.
    TFC supporter group members come by their juvenile behaviour honestly it appears.
    Note, however, that the majority of TFC fans are actually quite reasonable from my experiences with them.
    Go to an NFL game and walk around and you'll probably think again.

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think it's pretty silly to bash a sport. But I guess when Arash Madani, Dean Blundell etc. bashes the CFL, it's a free pass for us to bash a sport/league we don't like as well. Nothing wrong with highlighting current stories though.

I've been to games in Europe and the fans were great, nothing like the small minority of TFC buffoons we hear about it. But there are also stories of hooligans. You can't generalize an entire sports fan base.

I guess all those annoying CFL fans I've encountered must have been originally soccer fans. 
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 06-29-2016 at 04:21 AM.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm not even talking about TFC. This is what they show on highlight packages. Diving in hockey has pretty much been eliminated. I don't hate women's soccer. It's the men that are sucks. You don't see the Canadian women's team diving and rolling around.

It's not the whole sport that we bash it's the ridiculous parts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    I'm not even talking about TFC. This is what they show on highlight packages. Diving in hockey has pretty much been eliminated. I don't hate women's soccer. It's the men that are sucks. You don't see the Canadian women's team diving and rolling around.

There needs to be a rule update that prevents these diving incidents in soccer. I'm not sure what the answer is. If they delay the game 30 seconds they have to sit out 5 minutes and that costs your team a substitution? That may snuff out these delay game tactics pretty quit.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    There needs to be a rule update that prevents these diving incidents in soccer. I'm not sure what the answer is. If they delay the game 30 seconds they have to sit out 5 minutes and that costs your team a substitution? That may snuff out these delay game tactics pretty quit.
    Play with stop time like others sports, then there is no advantage to diving and time wasting. It also removes the ridiculous stoppage time (at a referee's discretion)

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Why are we even talking about this here? Are we going to be like RPB and have one of the biggest threads be about something other than what we cheer for, ie something we hate, that's stupid, and we already have a thread. It's bad karma to bash another sport and we have enough CFL haters as it is, why try and make new enemies?

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I suppose that's a good way to look at it Argoknot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Easy. Have 1-game suspensions for any diving/fake injury situations determined by league offices after the game. That will stop the diving and rolling around on the grass real quick.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    The only issue is that we'll have less funny sports highlights if they take out diving. Some of the best ever are soccer dives or guys trying to draw penalties. I should say in men's soccer as for some reason you don't see the bs in women's.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree with Argoknot--let's allow the RPB to have their 150+ page thread and keep the threads to our version of football.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    There is nothing wrong talking about other sports than football in the Other Sports Room. There has been many embarrassing and comical dives in soccer. It has been improved dramatically recently, mostly due to improved refereeing. I find that the casual fan or onlooker often confuses genuine takedowns or injury with simulation. Think about when you stubbed your toe on the bed post, twisted your ankle or bashed your shin on a trailer hitch (something I've seen take down the biggest men). Excruciating pain for a few moments, but after a few minutes, you can usually get on with your day. It's kind of the same thing a player feels when someone stomps on his toe, trips him or gives him a strong cleat to the leg.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    No doubt a stiff kick or cleat to the shins or toes would hurt like hell. The funny and yet sad ones are the fakers who roll around or dive in the penalty area. When I played hockey I NEVER wanted the other team to think that they hurt me. I'd get up as if nothing happened when really I hurt big time. I didn't want them to have the satisfaction of knowing that their hit crushed me and I had little air. haha.