Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1356
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yeah - a tad bleak, but I'm almost inclined to agree.

Barker - hasn't fixed some glaring personnel holes/units in some time - D-backfield in particular; panic moves to trade for Willy + cut 3 starting receivers; likes to air-lift in NFL resume players and assumes they can just plug & play = little TEAM concept - who are the proven vets this team will lead on - is he going to cut/scape-goat Josh Bourke now ?

Milllanovich - same old, predictable, mostly short-pass or check-down offence; thinks Drew Willy is a starting CFL QB or that Brady is an OC ???

Drew Willy - just not a starting calibre CFL QB

Not looking good with those 3 in place IMO
    Perhaps OV, but you know me...optimistic about all things Argos.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yeah - a tad bleak, but I'm almost inclined to agree.

Barker - hasn't fixed some glaring personnel holes/units in some time - D-backfield in particular; panic moves to trade for Willy + cut 3 starting receivers; likes to air-lift in NFL resume players and assumes they can just plug & play = little TEAM concept - who are the proven vets this team will lead on - is he going to cut/scape-goat Josh Bourke now ?

Milllanovich - same old, predictable, mostly short-pass or check-down offence; thinks Drew Willy is a starting CFL QB or that Brady is an OC ???

Drew Willy - just not a starting calibre CFL QB

Not looking good with those 3 in place IMO
    And these are the reasons that I think 2017 will be another poor season. Too much talent needed everywhere, and I have a hard time believing Barker can fix in one off season. Milanovich = Nothing else needs to be said. Willy and Ray as the Argos top 2 = Asking for trouble IMO.

I really do hope I'm wrong though.
    Last edited by R.J; 01-02-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    And these are the reasons that I think 2017 will be another poor season. Too much talent needed everywhere, and I have a hard time believing Barker can fix in one off season. Milanovich = Nothing else needs to be said. Willy and Ray as the Argos top 2 = Asking for trouble IMO.

I really do hope I'm wrong though.
    We all do.
    However currently there is absolutely no reason to be optimistic.
    Unlike us, heck even the Als have improved themselves at QB, on the coaching and management side.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    However currently there is absolutely no reason to be optimistic.
    Unlike us, heck even the Als have improved themselves at QB, on the coaching and management side.
    Some might consider continuity at GM and HC to be a source of optimism. Barker and Milo are proven winners; they are not the second coming of JI Albrecht and John Huard (a truly terrifying duo).

There’s still plenty of time before the regular season kicks off. Let’s evaluate the roster and management team at that time before we abandon all hope.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntdog View Post
    Some might consider continuity at GM and HC to be a source of optimism. Barker and Milo are proven winners; they are not the second coming of JI Albrecht and John Huard (a truly terrifying duo).

There’s still plenty of time before the regular season kicks off. Let’s evaluate the roster and management team at that time before we abandon all hope.
    Now you've done it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntdog View Post

Not the second coming of JI Albrecht and John Huard, but maybe the second coming of Alan Ford and John Gregory, I believe they struck lightning in a bottle and won a Grey Cup, but never won anything after that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    I believe they struck lightning in a bottle and won a Grey Cup, but never won anything after that.
    This^^
    I'm not going to say they were lucky in 2012, because I don't think even in a 9 team league luck will win you a championship, but a lot of the pieces of the puzzle happened to come together at the right time. Other than that, I would not say Barker and especially Milanovich are proven winners.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    This^^
    I'm not going to say they were lucky in 2012, because I don't think even in a 9 team league luck will win you a championship, but a lot of the pieces of the puzzle happened to come together at the right time. Other than that, I would not say Barker and especially Milanovich are proven winners.
    "Pieces of the puzzle happened to come together" suggests that B and M had little or nothing to do with it. Barker recruited the guys who came together, and Milanovich coached them. They had to win a playoff game in Montreal (never easy) and they destroyed a strong Calgary team, albeit one with Kevin Glenn at the controls. Their record since 2012 is far from exemplary, but they should get full credit for winning the championship in 2012.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    "Pieces of the puzzle happened to come together" suggests that B and M had little or nothing to do with it. Barker recruited the guys who came together, and Milanovich coached them. They had to win a playoff game in Montreal (never easy) and they destroyed a strong Calgary team, albeit one with Kevin Glenn at the controls. Their record since 2012 is far from exemplary, but they should get full credit for winning the championship in 2012.
    Which then begs the question on 2016? Barkers recruits never came together and coaching had no measurable impact either. I believe human nature attribute more weight to recent evidence to their position. Evidence five seasons ago is hard to hang your hat on in 2017. Which explains the phrase "what have you done for me lately?"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Barker has been able to find talented players...although maybe fewer of them since Chris Jones left...but keeping them and utilizing them properly has seemed to be the Argos biggest problem. I have mostly agreed with Barkers philosophy of not building a team through free agency but really think this year has to be an exception.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Barker has been able to find talented players...although maybe fewer of them since Chris Jones left...but keeping them and utilizing them properly has seemed to be the Argos biggest problem. I have mostly agreed with Barkers philosophy of not building a team through free agency but really think this year has to be an exception.
    With the amount of free agents we will see yearly going forward, I agree that the philosophy on not going after free agents has to and will change.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Just because tgey havent announced stuff it doesnt mean that they havent beendoing stuff to change our team. There might be lots of stuff happening but everyone is being quiet. I want to see a quality left tackle and a breakaway type of running back and a new offensive scheme. Injuries everywhere last year was our diwnfall and I am not at all sure how we can get around that. We got lots of experience for our backups and maybe found some new first teamers in the process so with the added experience gained last year and a bit of luck on the injury front maybe we are looking at a rebound year., and maybe, just maybe Willy will earn a spot and the opportunity to show he belongs. One must hope.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggiemac View Post
    Just because tgey havent announced stuff it doesnt mean that they havent beendoing stuff to change our team. There might be lots of stuff happening but everyone is being quiet. I want to see a quality left tackle and a breakaway type of running back and a new offensive scheme. Injuries everywhere last year was our diwnfall and I am not at all sure how we can get around that. We got lots of experience for our backups and maybe found some new first teamers in the process so with the added experience gained last year and a bit of luck on the injury front maybe we are looking at a rebound year., and maybe, just maybe Willy will earn a spot and the opportunity to show he belongs. One must hope.
    Not buying the injury excuse, all teams deal with injury issues during a football season.
    I'd be more inclined to look at mediocre (at best) coaching, schemes, talent and crappy team morale instead.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Which then begs the question on 2016? Barkers recruits never came together and coaching had no measurable impact either. I believe human nature attribute more weight to recent evidence to their position. Evidence five seasons ago is hard to hang your hat on in 2017. Which explains the phrase "what have you done for me lately?"
    My comment was not about 2016 -- it was about 2012. (Although I did say "Their record since 2012 is far from exemplary.") It just really disturbs me that the dislike some have for B and M has expanded to the point where they won't even acknowledge the two deserve some credit for actually winning a Grey Cup. Do we erase any credit to Obie for the Argos winning in 1983 because he never won another one and missed the playoffs twice?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    With the amount of free agents we will see yearly going forward, I agree that the philosophy on not going after free agents has to and will change.
    Hasn't it already? I think you'd agree that "going after" free agents means acquiring new guys, not extending existing ones. If so, here are the numbers for last season:

BC: 6
    EDM: 5
    CGY: 3
    SSK: 11
    WPG: 7
    TOR: 8
    HAM: 4
    OTT: 4
    MTL: 4

(Data from the 2016 FA tracker using search hits for "signed with xxx")

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yes, that's basically what I was getting at. Even Barker dipped in more than in previous years. I think will see him to even harder this season. Hopefully with more success.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    No, Angelo, that wasn't what you were getting at. Management may or may not (who knows?) be in the midst of a course correction, but you didn't predict it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    No, Angelo, that wasn't what you were getting at. Management may or may not (who knows?) be in the midst of a course correction, but you didn't predict it.
    Actually Wobble, I predicted on this site when the league dropped the option on non entry level contracts that rosters would be changing more on an annual basis with lots of player movement in free agency.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Actually Wobble, I predicted on this site when the league dropped the option on non entry level contracts that rosters would be changing more on an annual basis with lots of player movement in free agency. If you want to be a prick because you think I go overboard by defending the regime every time someone on here knocks them, that's on you. But if you are outright calling me a liar, go F yourself.
    I remember you stating that fact a year or two ago Angelo, which is fact correct.
    The nature of today's contracts lend itself to substantial player movement year after year which doesn't allow much roster continuity and doesn't help fans identify with their particular teams as in the past.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I remember you stating that fact a year or two ago Angelo, which is fact correct.
    The nature of today's contracts lend itself to substantial player movement year after year which doesn't allow much roster continuity and doesn't help fans identify with their particular teams as in the past.
    Thanks Argo57. Much appreciated.