Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I think that is absolutely the reason. The number of people who care enough about the team to go to games has been dwindling for 30 years. The Jays were in a somewhat similar situation 6-8 years ago and have recaptured a large fanbase, so it can be done. But we are dealing with a few strikes against us, including a much longer period of fan bleed, perception that we are not in a "major league" and an erratic schedule. Still, we have what appears to be committed ownership in it for the long haul and I believe that 3-5 years from now we can be consistently drawing 24,000 fans a game.
    Alienate: To make indifferent especially where attachment formerly existed.
    Last game 7000 ST holders were joined by 5000 other fans in one of the most depressing crowds in Argos modern history. Is the notion that the current ownership better be careful not to alienate us fans one by one still "beyond laughable" Paul? While I too can see potential and a brighter future, there is nothing wrong holding current ownership to some shared accountability. For example, if there is no real supply/demand, what exactly is there to attract a potential ST holder? There have been some great suggestions in others threads before and after last games debacle, hopefully we can get this right.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    A musical Ron? hahaha. Rocket From The Crypt is a killer band from San Diego who we've seen twice since 1998. They broke up and are now back together. I've been to hundreds of CFL games. This will be the third time seeing one of my favorite bands so yah we made the plans. I had no idea the Argos played on the Monday at that point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    im going to be at work while the games on... but ill be able to watch on tsn go.
    so... hurray
    Hey everybody! Check out my YouTube page at MARCWAGZ ON YOUTUBE for some Mediocre Martial Arts and Music Videos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Alienate: To make indifferent especially where attachment formerly existed.
    Last game 7000 ST holders were joined by 5000 other fans in one of the most depressing crowds in Argos modern history. Is the notion that the current ownership better be careful not to alienate us fans one by one still "beyond laughable" Paul? While I too can see potential and a brighter future, there is nothing wrong holding current ownership to some shared accountability. For example, if there is no real supply/demand, what exactly is there to attract a potential ST holder? There have been some great suggestions in others threads before and after last games debacle, hopefully we can get this right.
    What exactly has the current ownership done to alienate you so far? Speaking for myself, the GC tix prices are extremely disappointing but other than that I have no complaints yet. I certainly don't want them to give away seats after I paid for mine.

I agree they should (and will) be held accountable but I'm not seeing tangible evidence that they deserve a ton of criticism so far. I'm not of the belief that they should have started advertising before they even owned the team (or that it would have made a significant difference to sales) or that they dropped the ball by failing to hold a Fan Day. Obviously some folks feel otherwise.

And again, we are TWO GAMES into a new regime. Anyone who expected overnight success after 30 years of neglect and worse was being unrealistic. I'm sure even Larry T did not really expect to sell out every game. You can argue he shouldn't have said it, but I don't consider that an alienable offence.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Paul's correct about the Jays - going to games about 10 years ago they had the majority of that stadium tarped off and those fans at the ballpark were older generally. 15k was about the norm, few in the upper deck. So although the Argos face more in the way of headwinds attracting crowds, as was stated it can be done. Will it be done? all we can do is cross our fingers - I know I'll be there on Monday for what will hopefully be our first W at BMO Field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    What exactly has the current ownership done to alienate you so far? Speaking for myself, the GC tix prices are extremely disappointing but other than that I have no complaints yet. I certainly don't want them to give away seats after I paid for mine.

I agree they should (and will) be held accountable but I'm not seeing tangible evidence that they deserve a ton of criticism so far. I'm not of the belief that they should have started advertising before they even owned the team (or that it would have made a significant difference to sales) or that they dropped the ball by failing to hold a Fan Day. Obviously some folks feel otherwise.

And again, we are TWO GAMES into a new regime. Anyone who expected overnight success after 30 years of neglect and worse was being unrealistic. I'm sure even Larry T did not really expect to sell out every game. You can argue he shouldn't have said it, but I don't consider that an alienable offence.
    I have no issue with what Tanenbaum stated. What was he supposed to say ? "Well we hope we can sell out 1 or 2 games and maybe get 15k for the rest". I doubt that would have gone well over here, in the media or even the general public.

I agree with your overall sentiment though; the new owners and leadership haven't done anything alienable. Are there issues ? Yes I believe so, but they can all be corrected in time, and IMO they've done a very good job with certain things. 3 home games (pre season included) is nowhere near enough time to see what's to come. TBH I really don't understand how or why some are so disappointed; it's going to take time to fix this market. The individuals who are complaining and thought everything would be fixed or close to it in year one, either have zero patience or have no concept of how bad this market has become.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    The individuals who are complaining and thought everything would be fixed or close to it in year one, either have zero patience or have no concept of how bad this market has become.
    All you need to do is read a game day thread to realize there is a huge lack of patience.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    All you need to do is read a game day thread to realize there is a huge lack of patience.
    That IMO is different. We've had to watch Milanovich's offense for 4.25 seasons; it's the same issues recurring. TanenBELL are new owners and again IMO need more time to right the ship. A lot of damage was done to this market, and it's not TanenBELL's fault this market has sucked for 30 years.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    Paul's correct about the Jays - going to games about 10 years ago they had the majority of that stadium tarped off and those fans at the ballpark were older generally. 15k was about the norm, few in the upper deck. So although the Argos face more in the way of headwinds attracting crowds, as was stated it can be done. Will it be done? all we can do is cross our fingers - I know I'll be there on Monday for what will hopefully be our first W at BMO Field.
    I remember there used to be a joke that more fans were at the Toronto Lynx (pre-TFC) than at the Jays game.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

New Fan
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:

Level

Update

From what I gather, the Argos knew that both the Ottawa game and next weeks Montreal game was going to be a hard sell. They identified both these games when the schedule was released as tough sells. With about 4 days to go for the Ottawa game, there was talk of providing tickets to the Corp partners to up the attendance into the 18,000 range. However with the Argos growing their season ticket base from 3,000 last year to 7400 this year, the concern was about pissing off your season ticket base. Most of the season ticket holders have bought in the higher price sections too. The fear being, here we are at game 2 at home and we already have too give out 3000 to 4000 tickets. The team is trying to install some integrity with STH and to grow the base. So the thinking was, what would be worse or cause the most damage to the brand. Have 18,000 at the Ottawa game, or have 12,000 sold. The media was still going to be negative on the team, even with 18,000, so the team made the call to back their STH. Also the team really wanted to see where the fan baseline was at, and to get a real picture of where the Argos sit with the ticket buying public. I think it was the right call. The same conversation is taking place for the Monday Montreal game and the team will make the same call. The team is selling more tickets for this game then Ottawa, but I think 15,000 will be the number sold. The Argos are making a big push for the first weekend game and are hoping to get over 22,000 or more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Footballdude View Post
    From what I gather, the Argos knew that both the Ottawa game and next weeks Montreal game was going to be a hard sell. They identified both these games when the schedule was released as tough sells. With about 4 days to go for the Ottawa game, there was talk of providing tickets to the Corp partners to up the attendance into the 18,000 range. However with the Argos growing their season ticket base from 3,000 last year to 7400 this year, the concern was about pissing off your season ticket base. Most of the season ticket holders have bought in the higher price sections too. The fear being, here we are at game 2 at home and we already have too give out 3000 to 4000 tickets. The team is trying to install some integrity with STH and to grow the base. So the thinking was, what would be worse or cause the most damage to the brand. Have 18,000 at the Ottawa game, or have 12,000 sold. The media was still going to be negative on the team, even with 18,000, so the team made the call to back their STH. Also the team really wanted to see where the fan baseline was at, and to get a real picture of where the Argos sit with the ticket buying public. I think it was the right call. The same conversation is taking place for the Monday Montreal game and the team will make the same call. The team is selling more tickets for this game then Ottawa, but I think 15,000 will be the number sold. The Argos are making a big push for the first weekend game and are hoping to get over 22,000 or more.
    Sounds like you might have some inside info. Everything you are saying here does make sense though. Back in 1997 when the Als were still playing at the Big Owe, Larry Smith made the decision not to give out freebies that season after Jim Speros had papered the stadium heavily the year before. The idea was for Alouettes tickets to have value and that eventually paid off expedited by the move to McGill. However, in 1997, the Als often played before fewer than 10k.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    This would be the right call. Never devalue the tickets or piss off the season ticket holders. According to ticketmaster it looks like a lot more sales for Monday's game from when I checked a few days ago. I hope they are not purposely being held back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    This would be the right call. Never devalue the tickets or piss off the season ticket holders. According to ticketmaster it looks like a lot more sales for Monday's game from when I checked a few days ago. I hope they are not purposely being held back.
    Upper section of seats in the East upper deck are held back.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The upper east side except for one section is definatly being held back , they just wiped out a whole pile of available seats for sale up there , its almost as if they don't want to sell it till the rest of the stadium seats are sold ....maybe not a bad idea.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pike View Post
    The upper east side except for one section is definatly being held back , they just wiped out a whole pile of available seats for sale up there , its almost as if they don't want to sell it till the rest of the stadium seats are sold ....maybe not a bad idea.
    Yes. I think TFC does this as well. But looks like a lot more sold in the lower tier of east side as well.

I think the argos should lower ticket prices on the east side versus their equivalent seats on the west side to encourage more sales there and make it look better and more balanced for TV.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    As a STH I don't want a ton of freebies while I had to pay full price. However I am tired of sitting in empty stadiums. I want atmosphere at the game. I think they are pricing the tickets way too high for what the demand and perception is.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If you want an attendance prediction with no baloney, talk to the hotdog cart dude...

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I have no issue if they donate to an organization near and dear to Durie's heart in Community Living Mississauga. Basically developmentally disabled. My wife worked for The Clements Centre in Duncan BC which is the same type of great organization. If you want people with a love for life that will be loud and full of fun these are the folks. They would have no preconceived notions about the league, they'd just have a blast. Man they can make you laugh with what they come up with.

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Yes. I think TFC does this as well. But looks like a lot more sold in the lower tier of east side as well.

I think the argos should lower ticket prices on the east side versus their equivalent seats on the west side to encourage more sales there and make it look better and more balanced for TV.
    completely agree. ticket prices should be lower on the east side. Even noticed the LA Rams price the sunny side alot lower from shade side.

If you see games of TFC last year, the eastside was just as bare as last argo games. MLSE worked hard in the offseason to sell these off to corporate / group sales and its much fuller. Hopefully MLSE can do the same for the Argos with a full offseason.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It makes sense and I don't disagree with their decision.