Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    New Rider Derek Dennis discusses his route to becoming the Most Outstanding Lineman in the CFL in 2016.

“It’s just work ethic,” Dennis, who signed with the Roughriders on Tuesday, said when asked to explain his progression over the years. “I’ve always been one of those guys who, if I put my mind to doing something, I’ve been able to do it …
    “There was kind of a reluctance at first to play O-line. But I’ve had some good O-line coaches in college and my first couple of years at the pro level. I’ve taken tidbits from all the coaches I’ve played for and tried to mould it into one product. That’s what you saw last season.”
    But, truth be told, basketball was Dennis’ first love. In high school in New York, he was a 250-pound power forward who drew some interest from college programs.
    “I was just playing football as a thing to pass the time and to keep me in shape until basketball season,” said Dennis, who’s now 6-foot-3 and 341 pounds. “It just so happened that I was a big, athletic kid.”
    He played tight end and defensive line during football season, but never offensive line. Watching the NFL gave him ideas about his future — but others had different ideas.
    “I thought I could be the next Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham, one of those basketball players who would convert to tight end,” Dennis said, referring to two NFLers who played basketball in college.
    “But being that I was a big body, when I got to my college recruitment thinking I was going to play D-line or tight end, they were like, ‘Nah, we think you’ll make a better offensive lineman.’ That’s where it started for me.
    “It was one of those things where everybody was telling me that I had a better chance of having a future in football (as an offensive lineman),” he added. “I listened to the people I trusted and it has got me to where I am now.”
    http://www.riderville.com/2017/02/17...-true-calling/
    Last edited by jerrym; 02-18-2017 at 03:04 PM.