Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Josiah St. John feels he has lots to prove this after a somewhat disappointing rookie season.

“I can tell a lot of people don’t believe in me 100 per cent, so I need to prove myself,” the Saskatchewan Roughriders’ second-year offensive lineman said. “It’s not just for myself but for my family also because when I’m on the field, people see ‘St. John’ on my back.
    “I’m playing with a huge chip on my shoulder this year and I’m pretty sure people will be able to notice a difference.”
    St. John was the first overall pick in the 2016 CFL draft, but he didn’t join the Roughriders until July 4 due to a contract holdout. He ultimately dressed for 10 regular-season games with six starts. But many league observers have questions about St. John and wonder whether the 6-foot-6, 305-pound product of Toronto will make it in the CFL. It’s those doubters who have helped to inspire St. John this off-season.
    “Coach (Chris) Jones and the organization have supported me 100 per cent since I got here, so it’s about making believers out of everybody else,” said St. John, 24. “I’m confident in my abilities. I’m confident in what I bring to the table. Showing the world is what I’ve got to do.”
    After completing high school in Toronto, St. John headed to California to play football at Fresno City College. He spent one season there before moving to Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, Texas.
    Following one season at Trinity Valley, St. John was recruited by the University of Oklahoma Sooners in Norman, Okla. He redshirted in 2013 and then played the 2014 and ’15 seasons.
    The Roughriders used the draft’s No. 1 pick on St. John, but the rookie held out. He missed all of training camp, the pre-season and Saskatchewan’s regular-season opener before agreeing to terms.
    “(Arriving late) was extremely difficult; I would not advise anybody to miss camp,” St. John said. “It was hard because I wasn’t in the best shape when I got here, I didn’t know the playbook and I didn’t know my teammates. ...
    The Roughriders had to help St. John adjust to the Canadian game again and to the speed of the CFL. They also had to get him into shape — and into the weight room.
    “If he commits in the weight room and he commits to football, he can be as good as he wants to be,” Jones told reporters in February.
    That has meant an off-season of workouts. ...
    St. John played at 320 pounds last season, which was 15 pounds heavier than his playing weight at Oklahoma. He’s aiming to get back to 305 pounds while also improving his strength. He also wants to improve his footwork, his use of his hands, his technique and his knowledge of the CFL game.
    With the recent retirement of right guard Chris Best, there’s a golden opportunity for St. John to slide into a starting job in 2017. He made one start at that position in 2016, when Saskatchewan deployed six different players at right guard.
    “I’m excited about (the possibility of starting),” St. John said. “As a competitor, I go into every camp trying to win a position. Nobody wants to sit on the bench. Nobody wants to watch what’s going on. That has been my mentality. It’s why I came back early to train and lift. I want to compete for a starting job this year.”
    http://www.riderville.com/2017/03/27...-driven-prove/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Luc Mullinder analyzes video of two Rider TC signees: former Miami Dolphin 6'0" 230 lb RB Daniel Thomas who hasn't played a regular season game since 2014 and former BC/Calgary DL 6'2" 300 lb Zach Minter.

http://www.riderville.com/2017/04/04...nter-analysis/
    Last edited by jerrym; 04-14-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Former Bomber RB Cameron Marshall will be getting another shot at a starting job with the Riders after failing to make it in the NFL.

http://www.riderville.com/2017/04/05...estart-career/

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    3 strikes and you're out, Justin Cox. Charged for the third time with assault, gets released and any future contract will be blocked as per Orridge's statement.

http://3downnation.com/2017/04/19/ri...ence-incident/

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Former Argo LB, Greg Jones has been released. Having Henoc Muamba was probably the reason why.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Jeremy O'Day discusses the Rider mini-camp in the video below.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I think National QB Brandon Bridge's chances of becoming a CFL starter in Riderville are remote, especially with Jones focusing on Vince Young and veteran CFL voyageur Kevin Glenn, but he has the positive approach you need if you are going to ever succeed, whatever your skill level.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have made some high-profile moves this off-season in hopes of finding a starting quarterback.
    In Brandon Bridge’s mind, the CFL team already had a No. 1 QB on its roster: Brandon Bridge.
    Most people have focused on Kevin Glenn or Vince Young as the likely successor to the departed Darian Durant, leaving Bridge as something of a forgotten man. But the 25-year-old product of Toronto doesn’t feel like he’s flying under the radar as the Roughriders prepare for mini-camp in Florida.
    “I’m not too worried about the signings of Vince Young or Kevin Glenn; they’re just going to bring out more competition,” Bridge says from Toronto. “All I can ask for is a fair chance.
    “I never want anything handed to me. I want everyone to be at their best and at their healthiest. Whatever happens and whatever decision the coaches make, at least I won when everyone was at their best or I lost when everyone was at their best.
    “People can talk about whoever they want, but just know that on the field, the eye in the sky doesn’t lie. If I’m the best man on the field, that film will not lie and it will show the coaches.”
    Bridge began his CFL career in 2015 with the Montreal Alouettes, who selected him in the fourth round (31st overall) of the 2015 draft. The University of South Alabama product played in 11 games with Montreal and made one start — the first start in the CFL by a Canadian quarterback since 1995.
    The 6-foot-5, 225-pound Bridge was released by the Alouettes on Aug. 1, 2016, and signed with the Roughriders nine days later.
    Bridge dressed for 12 games with Saskatchewan last season, primarily as the third-stringer. He finished the season with 11 completions in 13 pass attempts for 163 yards, and four rushes for 23 yards and a touchdown.
    The Roughriders’ quarterbacking depth chart changed greatly in January, when Durant was traded to Montreal (Jan. 13), Glenn was signed (Jan. 23) and Mitchell Gale was released (Jan. 27). The landscape changed again March 9, when Young was signed.
    Bridge could only watch things happen while continuing to prepare himself for the 2017 season.
    “There’s uncertainty (over who’s going to be the starter), but all I can do is control whatever I can,” he says. “The best thing I can do is go in there and, instead of counting my reps, make my reps count. If I get two reps, then I have to make sure I do my best on those two reps. If I get eight reps, I have to make sure I get the best out of those eight reps.
    “My mindset is to show them that I’m the best guy regardless if I’m Canadian or if I’m younger than the other guys. That’s what I’ve been trying to show every day. That’s what I tried to show last season. I want to show that I’m the best man for the job.”
    To that end, he continued his normal off-season regimen, heading to Alabama to work out with quarterback trainer David Morris and Cincinnati Bengals pivot A.J. McCarron.
    Since Bridge returned to Toronto, he has been throwing footballs to CFL receivers like Chad Owens, Kevin Elliott and Shamawd Chambers.
    All the while, Bridge tried to work on the things suggested to him by Roughriders head coach Chris Jones, offensive co-ordinator Stephen McAdoo and quarterbacks coach Jarious Jackson.
    “They know I can run the ball and they know I’ve got a live arm and can throw deep downfield,” Bridge says. “They want me to hone in on the short game, which I’ve really been working on.
    “I’m a year into the offence too, so they want me to make sure I know everything like the back of my hand.”
    If Bridge can show his level of improvement during the Roughriders’ upcoming mini-camp (April 25-27 in Vero Beach, Fla.) and at training camp (beginning May 28 in Saskatoon), he could indeed win the starting job. If he does, he will have overcome the stigma that seems to be prevalent in the CFL about Canadian quarterbacks.
    Then again, Bridge doesn’t think that label even applies to him — despite what his passport says. Having attended Alcorn State University and then South Alabama, he received the same kind of coaching as every other American QB who starts in the CFL.
    To Bridge, his birthplace doesn’t matter.
    “I have to go (to camp) with the mindset that I’m the best one for the job regardless if I’m white, black, Canadian or whatever,” he says. “I don’t care what I am …
    “I’ve shown a lot of promise. In every game I’ve been in, I’ve shown well, and the fans are really rooting for me. It’d be great for me to be the starter, to lead this team and to be very successful.”
    https://www.riderville.com/2017/04/1...-looking-no-1/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    On July 29th Argos play their first game at the new Mosaic Field which looks spectacular! We plan on being there. It looks to be an ideal road trip for anyone interested in experiencing Riderville up close and personal. Love when the downtown core dresses up in Rider green the day of the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The following players have been cut by the Riders:

· International defensive end Tavarus Dantzler
    · International defensive back Seth Ellis
    · International offensive lineman Taylor Fallin
    · International offensive lineman Kelby Johnson
    · International defensive lineman Derrick Lott
    · International running back Lyle McCombs
    · International running back Dennis Norfleet
    · International wide receiver Jonathan Ray
    · International defensive back David Van Dyke
    · International wide receiver Frankie Wims
    http://www.riderville.com/2017/05/01...ction-may-1st/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    On July 29th Argos play their first game at the new Mosaic Field which looks spectacular! We plan on being there. It looks to be an ideal road trip for anyone interested in experiencing Riderville up close and personal. Love when the downtown core dresses up in Rider green the day of the game.
    Hopefully the weather is nice for you guys but if not the canopy covers the stands and you'll only need a raincoat for the walk to the stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Hopefully the weather is nice for you guys but if not the canopy covers the stands and you'll only need a raincoat for the walk to the stadium.
    We were fortunate to attend the last Argos game at Mosaic Field and the weather couldn't have been better! The Riders were kind enough to provide a tour of the stadium. I hope they show us around the new Mosaic. It looks perfect.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Josiah St. John was drafted #! overall last year. Below he talks about that experience and his first year in the CFL., including how his hold out for contract reasons affected his season.

“It’s always good to be picked No. 1 like you were in gym class or any sport that you were playing, even though they weren’t drafts,’’ said St. John, who is headed into second season with the Riders. “Being picked first is an honour in any sport or activity and I was happy about that.’’ ...
    St. John learned about the business side of football after the draft. A contract holdout delayed his arrival with the team until July 4.

“(The holdout) hurt me a lot,” said St. John, who is represented by Johnathon Hardaway. “I wasn’t in camp where I could work out where you are supposed to work out, not being able learn all of the plays and not being able to build that bond with my teammates. There was definitely a difference. I left it in my agent’s hands and let him look after that side of the business.”
    St. John played catchup after missing all of training camp, two pre-season games and the regular-season opener before agreeing to terms with the Riders. Once he settled in, St. John discovered that he liked the CFL.
    “I learned that the CFL is a fun league to play in,’’ he said. “I had a great time when I was playing and I really enjoyed it.’’
    Chris Jones, the Riders’ head coach and general manager, was pleased with St. John’s progress through the season. Jones told reporters in February that St. John needed to get into shape and commit to the weight room during the off-season.
    “He’s had a good off-season, but an off-season is just working out and there isn’t anybody in pads,” Jones said. “He has to to show on the football field that he’s grown. His work habits are certainly better than when we got him. I look forward to seeing him put the pads on and show that he stayed strong.”
    Jones suggested that many aspects of football came easily for St. John as he moved through high school and two seasons of junior college football before joining the Sooners in 2013. He red-shirted in 2013 and played with the Sooners in 2014 and 2015.
    “I’m a pretty good athlete so it always came naturally to me,’’ St. John said. “When I got to the CFL, I learned that natural ability only gets you so far. You have to put the work into getting strong and getting in shape to be able to perform at a high level in the CFL.’’
    http://leaderpost.com/sports/footbal...siah-st-john-2

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Riders have obtained LB/S Mike Edem and a conditional pick in a trade with BC for a conditional draft pick.

On Thursday, the Roughriders acquired the 27-year-old Edem from the B.C. Lions in exchange for a conditional selection in the 2018 CFL draft. The Lions also sent Saskatchewan a conditional pick in that draft.
    The 6-foot-1, 210-pounder can play either safety or linebacker and could help the Roughriders shore up their Canadian depth.
    Edem overcame his late start in the game to land a spot with the University of Calgary Dinos. He played defensive back and linebacker with the Dinos and, in 2012, was named Canada West’s top defensive player.
    He was selected by the Montreal Alouettes in the first round (third overall) of the 2013 CFL draft and cracked the Als’ lineup that fall.
    Edem was named an East Division all-star as a rookie after recording 49 defensive tackles, nine special-teams tackles, five sacks, four fumble recoveries and three interceptions. He was Montreal’s nominee for the awards as the CFL’s most outstanding Canadian and most outstanding rookie.
    But Marc-Olivier Brouillette replaced Edem as the Als’ starting safety the following season. Edem had five defensive tackles, 13 special-teams tackles and one interception in 17 games in 2014 — and his role was diminished further in 2015.
    In October of 2015, he was traded to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, with whom he played four regular-season and two playoff games.
    He signed with B.C. as a free agent prior to the 2016 season and recorded 37 tackles and two interceptions in 17 regular-season games.
    There were rumours this off-season that the Lions were trying to trade Edem — and that speculation came to fruition Thursday.
    “I’m just excited to play football and excited for the opportunity to extend my career with the Roughriders,” he said from Calgary. “I want to give the fans the best of Mike Edem, to come there and put my best foot forward.
    http://www.riderville.com/2017/05/11...ety-mike-edem/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Riders have extended Edem through 2018.

http://www.riderville.com/2017/05/17...ety-mike-edem/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Rider safety Marc-Olivier Brouillette has retired. Concussions and other career opportunities likely played a role.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders signed Brouillette as free agent in February, hoping he could serve as a starter at safety and give the team some much-needed ratio flexibility.
    Drafted 23rd overall by Montreal in the 2010 CFL Draft, the 31-year-old Brouillette has played in 102 games and made 64 starts in his seven seasons with the Alouettes. He started all 18 games last season making 33 defensive tackles, three special teams tackles and registering one interception while being named an East all-star.
    Brouillette has a law degree and sources say he’s now going to pursue a legal career. He also has a history of concussions and once said he’d retire if he suffered another one.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/05/27/ev...lette-retires/

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Jerry, too many of your posts in these team threads are of the cut-and-paste variety and constitute 85-90% of the posts in the thread. I appreciate your efforts in researching and gathering news, but perhaps not every little tidbit needs to be posted here?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Vince Young will miss 4-6 weeks because of a hamstring injury. Because Young did not get any signing bonus, it will be easier for Chris Jones to dump him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Although the Rider's #2 overall pick Cameron Judge signed with the Riders at the beginning of June, he is only reporting now to Rider TC as he was allowed to finish his exams. This delay may hold him back initially but I expect he will be an impact player in the long run.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It's time for the Riders to dump Vince Young as he hasn't shown he still has the skills or health to do the job in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The Riders looked brutal in B.C. tonight. Yes, I know it is only preseason but the Riders' best QB is now in Montreal and Chris Jones, after not finding a lot of players he liked in going through 100 of them last year, still seems very much to be in rebuilding mode. I don't see this team winning more than 6 games this year.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force