Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

All-import CFL D-backfields NOT taking any heat ?

Argos secondary gets lit up by Reilly and the Esks passing game : 40 plus points allowed.

RedBlacks all-import D-backfield gets just scorched by that superstar QB Kevin Glenn and the Als aerial attack: 40 plus points allowed.

Just brutal to weak play; yet no CFL reporter/commentators or GOB shills starting any talk about weak American talent in the league, or whining and cry-babying like we see in the thread here about Canadian O-linemen ???

Funny how that works, eh, er, huh ? ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Argos secondary gets lit up by Reilly and the Esks passing game : 40 plus points allowed.

RedBlacks all-import D-backfield gets just scorched by that superstar QB Kevin Glenn and the Als aerial attack: 40 plus points allowed.

Just brutal to weak play; yet no CFL reporter/commentators or GOB shills starting any talk about weak American talent in the league, or whining and cry-babying like we see in the thread here about Canadian O-linemen ???

No talk about the Redblacks vaunted Canadian D-Line and SAM LB getting eaten alive in that same game?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    No talk about the Redblacks vaunted Canadian D-Line and SAM LB getting eaten alive in that same game?

Keep up the good work believing Canadian football talent is automatically inferior cause your GOB heroes or one of your ex-team-mates who attended a CFL TC once told you so - sucka.

Nice job of ducking or avoiding the question though - GOB supporter typical/laughable.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Does every damned thread have to turn nasty lately?

OV, you have a strong pro-National player bias. You must be aware of this.

Everyone else on this board fits into one of these categories:

A) Roots a bit harder for the National guys but basically just appreciates good football players
    B) Truly doesn't care
    C) Dislikes National players because "The Man" says they're bad

I think most of us are in category A, with a few B's. No one is in category C.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    What is an import in the CFL?

I know internationals. What is this "import" thing?

Achievements:

Level
    I sometimes forget that you're relatively new here, GD! In the CFL's olden days of yore (until 3 years ago?) Nationals were known as non-imports and Internationals were imports.
    Last edited by Wobbler; 08-24-2016 at 03:05 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    OVA has there ever been a Canadian player you thought played poorly?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

That was kind of the B team, except for Jefferson, playing Saturday OV. But IMO your not going to beat Mike Reilly with a bend but don't break type defense. Gotta bring the house like a Don Mathews defense against Reilly or he will pick you apart, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    That was kind of the B team, except for Jefferson, playing Saturday OV. But IMO your not going to beat Mike Reilly with a bend but don't break type defense. Gotta bring the house like a Don Mathews defense against Reilly or he will pick you apart, as far as I'm concerned anyway.
    It was the C team in at least one case, when Alford replaced Green. We are missing four guys who started early this season and were presumably considered ahead of four who played Saturday: Rankin, Berry, Mitchell and Gabriel.

I'm not sure a "bring-the-house" approach will work consistently against any team with a veteran QB unless its o-line is terrible. QBs and receivers make such quick reads these days that teams can beat that approach with quick screens and dumps and flat passes to put a receiver in space.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Keep up the good work believing Canadian football talent is automatically inferior cause your GOB heroes or one of your ex-team-mates who attended a CFL TC once told you so - sucka.

Nice job of ducking or avoiding the question though - GOB supporter typical/laughable.
    Never once did I say that. I just don't buy your argument that American players will play over Canadian players that are better than they are.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I sometimes forget that you're relatively new here, GD! In the CFL's olden days of yore (until 3 years ago?) Nationals were known as non-imports and Internationals were imports.
    This has come up before, GreyDragon is aware of the old terms, but doesn't understand why OV continues to use the old terms instead of the new. Quite frankly, neither do I.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Is this a good time to bring up that Antoine Pruneau has been relegated from his starting spot with Ottawa?
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I appreciate your patience and instruction Wobbler.
    I was actually being sarcastic.
    I assure you that I am plenty old enough to remember the days when the CFL referred to Canadians (or pseudo-Canadians I suppose) as "non-imports" and foreign born players as "imports".
    The CFL wisely changed that a few years ago as you mention to the better monikers of "National" and "International".

I bugged OVArgo once before about using the old nomenclature.
    I find it ironic that someone who rails against CFL "GOB"s as he calls them, acts like a GOB himself by using an outdated and borderline insulting term to describe a country's own citizens.
    In what other country would a domestic organization refer to its citizens as "non-imports".
    Refer to Americans as "non-imports" in their country and one is likely to get a U.S. flag and flagpole shoved up one's ***.

End rant.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Is this a good time to bring up that Antoine Pruneau has been relegated from his starting spot with Ottawa?
    http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/08/23/...e-starting-job

TBh, he deserves to ride the pine IMO. Not playing well this season, and at times last season I felt he was overrated (still feel that way actually).

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

They could blame it on the safety's, after all that is the "Canadian" position on most teams.

The discussion about QBs going down because of national "O" lineman was about the numbers. The point was that the "O" line position is mainly Canadian and there are just not enough coming out of the CIS to make up the numbers. It's not that the starters are doing a bad job but there are quite a few getting injured along with the QBs. One of the options would be to have competition at that position like the do for a running back, DB etc but if the do that they may end up with internationals and then they create a problem somewhere else having to start a national at RB or receiver.
    The "unnamed" coaches are talking about reducing the national ratio which would give them more flexibility especially when these Canadian "O" linemen get injured and there are slim pickings of nationals out there for backups.
    Considering that the NCAA is taking the cream of the Canadian crop and some are ending up in the NFL and with the reduced talent coming out of the CIS, maybe it is time to look at reducing the ratio. A reduction of two would seem to be reasonable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayahre View Post
    The "unnamed" coaches are talking about reducing the national ratio which would give them more flexibility especially when these Canadian "O" linemen get injured and there are slim pickings of nationals out there for backups.
    Considering that the NCAA is taking the cream of the Canadian crop and some are ending up in the NFL and with the reduced talent coming out of the CIS, maybe it is time to look at reducing the ratio. A reduction of two would seem to be reasonable.
    Are you kidding. The last thing the CFL should be doing is listening to coaches, of whom most are American, to decide what the national ratio should be. They just want to make their own jobs easier. Maybe they should be dressing more American O-lineman and starting them while starting more Canadian receivers and backs.

It's much easier for a Canadian receiver who has played the Canadian game to adjust to the field and the rules to go up against a bunch of 5'9 international defensive backs who can't even last 2 weeks at an NFL training camp,(or make a practice roster spot down there. If they could, you know they would rather be there, than up here) than it is for a wet behind the ears Canadian O-lineman from the CIS to go up against a possible All-American quick D-lineman who has some great Div 1-A experience, but is in the CFL because they were considered to small to play in the NFL. Most NCAA teams play 12 games a year now, compared to the 8 played by CIS teams.

The only teams that play as much as 12 games in CIS are the teams who make the Vanier Cup Final and I have no problem with that...football is gruelling sport...their is actually too many games in the CFL, hence all the makeshift rosters because of injuries like the Argos had Saturday, but I digress.

Point being, Offensive lineman in the CFL and NFL are now very obese (no offense, I just can't find a better term), over 300 lbs on average compared to even 10-20 years ago. I was looking at the Award winners for Outstanding lineman in CFL yesterday and used to notice that guys would win the award at 260lbs. That would be considered a midget for a lineman in today's pro football, in both the CFL and NFL. With Americans making up the bulk of registered tackle football players in North America, probably more than the 10:1 ratio between the populations of both countries, it would probably be realistic to assume that they're more big guys available to play O-line effectively in the CFL from the states. I know they're intrinsic differences in the rules that they'd need to get used to like the yard off the ball, but that's easier for them to adjust than it is for a rookie Canadian O-lineman to adjust to the speed of Ted Laurent or John Chick running at them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Reduced talent coming out of the CIS ? The talent has never been better.
    Reducing the ratio ? Yeah, that happened about 20 years ago already and it's not as if the league's talent level grew significantly.

The last thing the league should do is listen to the GM's and Coaches - they're the reason the flow of the game has been ruined with all the penalties and challenge flags.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    I assure you that I am plenty old enough to remember the days when the CFL referred to Canadians (or pseudo-Canadians I suppose) as "non-imports" and foreign born players as "imports".
    The CFL wisely changed that a few years ago as you mention to the better monikers of "National" and "International"

I bugged OVArgo once before about using the old nomenclature.
    I find it ironic that someone who rails against CFL "GOB"s as he calls them, acts like a GOB himself by using an outdated and borderline insulting term to describe a country's own citizens.
    In what other country would a domestic organization refer to its citizens as "non-imports".
    Refer to Americans as "non-imports" in their country and one is likely to get a U.S. flag and flagpole shoved up one's ***.

End rant.

The ignore option can be your friend if you don't like to hear the term NI. Deal with it.

And in most other countries, a foreign coaching staff that vastly favored their guys from their country and also complained/whined about the "national" talent in their league and called for less of it, might get a flag-pole shoved up their @$$; shoulda been done up here a long time ago, IMO only of course. if that's allright with you.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ov argo View Post
    the ignore option can be your friend if you don't like to hear the term ni. Deal with it.

And in most other countries, a foreign coaching staff that vastly favored their guys from their country and also complained/whined about the "national" talent in their league and called for less of it, might get a flag-pole shoved up their @$$; shoulda been done up here a long time ago, imo only of course. If that's allright with you.
    gob.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    Sorry GD!

FWIW, as an "import" living in the U.S., I think Americans would be more likely to be amused by the non-import label than offended. The new labels do make more sense, but the old ones had a technical quality that was strangely appealing.