Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Argo Fan
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

Canadian Offensive Linemen taking heat

It just kills me that as soon as Quarterbacks start getting hurt the media start blaming the Canadian O-Linemen. I believe the most sacks ever given up in history was by the Goldminers that featured an all American line. NFL Quarterbacks are getting hurt just as much these days and they don't have to face the constant blitz.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jojoheath View Post
    It just kills me that as soon as Quarterbacks start getting hurt the media start blaming the Canadian O-Linemen. I believe the most sacks ever given up in history was by the Goldminers that featured an all American line. NFL Quarterbacks are getting hurt just as much these days and they don't have to face the constant blitz.
    I agree, JoJo. There are at least one or two coaches/managers/personnel people who have been complaining to Kirk Penton about how the overall numbers of required Canadians should have been reduced when Ottawa came back into the league. That argument doesn't hold water with me as amateur football is better than it ever has been in this country and the league already reduced the required number of starters from 10 to 7 back in 1996. You also make a good point that NFL o-lines are having problems protecting their QBs.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Never mind the fact that the D schemes in the last few years are way more attack oriented than back 20-30 years ago.
    Blitz schemes are very complex (and well disguised) these days and seem to be called every couple of plays or so.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    To be honest, I've never understood why Canadian Offensive linemen or "ratio problems" are the go to for some. Montreal had an all Canadian offensive line for years and they were generally considered the best offensive line in the CFL; not to mention all the bad American offensive linemen we seen up here the last 5 years alone. Coaching bias is the real reason behind this way of thinking (Chris Jones is the best example of it right now); I'd love to see the league go back to 10 Cdn starters, but those days are probably and sadly long gone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Where is this "story" coming from ? - source?

Maybe floated by ego-Jones and with help from the usual suspects at Riderfans. - some of whom are constantly whining about "ratio problems" - while their team trots out all kinds of mediocre to useless import starters. Revenge by ego for having to deal with a fine for ratio violation ?

The CFL "ratio problem" often gets lots of traction from the usual dupes in the CFL football reporting world - clueless clowns who dutifully parrot what CFL "expert sources" feed them.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    In addition to Penton, Cole from the National Post has written a few articles about it. He also does not name sources. Just some American GM I am sure who wishes he can bring up some guys from his beloved Alma Matter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    In addition to Penton, Cole from the National Post has written a few articles about it. He also does not name sources. Just some American GM I am sure who wishes he can bring up some guys from his beloved Alma Matter.

Yep - sounds about right; and of course not challenged by any of the GOB supporting football reporters.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I remember a story a while ago where they interviewed some NFL o-linemen, and they claimed that the o-line is now by far the worst coached position in the NFL, and that most o-linemen have poor-to-average technique.

Maybe that's a result of practicing a lot less in pads compared to the old days, which is also true in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I heard the other day an NFL coach complained that his o-linemen can't fulfil their assignments until two months into the season because there is basically no hitting in practice. It's not quite that limited in the CFL, but practice time has also been severely reduced compared to the past. I suspect o-line is the trickiest, most intricate role in football and the one that requires the most repetition. But it's also one of the most dangerous to a player's health. I'm glad they are limiting hitting and doing other things to protect players, but difficulty mastering the requirements of the o-line positions is an unintended consequence of this.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Isn't the offensive line mostly (all?) about technique though ? and if so wouldn't that be a coaching issue ?

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    With the complex blitz schemes that go on today its not even about technique, its about recognition. That only comes from watching film.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If you're going to run 75 % + pass play-calling; and often in same old 5 pack look, often with a smallish tailback in as blocking help ... and defences know this, and can just tee off in pass rush, with lots of blitz ... then expect your QB to get hit some, punished some and maybe injured some. That seems fairly obvious , to me anyways. Little run game, little variety in play-calling with same old standard look = helps the defence - they know what to expect and can key on it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    With the complex blitz schemes that go on today its not even about technique, its about recognition. That only comes from watching film.
    I personally have no idea whether it's about technique, coaching, practice and hitting restrictions or anything else. All I know is that at least one NFL coach thinks the lack of practice time mandated under that league's collective agreement is putting o-lines behind other groups. It might be true or it might be a convenient excuse for a coach to make. But it does seem to have the possibility of being at least partly true. I don't think film study by itself is the answer. (And keep in mind, it's not just hitting that is limited -- it is the number of hours a player can be required to be physically present at team facilities. It's possible that a few CBAs ago, players were forced to watch more film than they are now, too.)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    The "Good" Canadian Offensive Linemen are just as good as the Import Linemen. One big problem. There's not enough "Good" ones to go around.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    QB's getting hurt is going to happen. Big fast men hammering smaller men who are usually in a vulnerable position looking downfield or scampering for their lives will eventually cause injuries. It has nothing to do with Canadian O linemen. Hell it's football and all the guys are getting bigger and stronger and working out all year. This isn't the days of no working out or working out part of the year. Injuries happen.
    Same as the NHL. Players used to smoke and eat a big assed steak before a game. Now guys are all about getting big and working out everyday. The equipment is out of bounds making players seem like they are dressed like Knights.

I tell you we're headed for non contact. The OHL just dropped the fighting suspension down from 10 fights to 3 for the season. So a tough guy will be suspended after 3 fights. In days past that could have been in one game. I was so looking forward to second year Petes D man Cole Fraser to knock some heads. The kid hammered guys last year as a 16 year old rookie. Popping helmets off as few guys heads like corks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    The "Good" Canadian Offensive Linemen are just as good as the Import Linemen. One big problem. There's not enough "Good" ones to go around.
    Absolutely truth here. Not to say there aren't any with potential, just need to develop.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Absolutely truth here. Not to say there aren't any with potential, just need to develop.
    I kind of struggle with this thinking. I've seen just as many terrible American offensive linemen as some Canadians put out there (Cave, Fonoti, etc vs. Neufeld, Sewell, etc).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    If you're going to run 75 % + pass play-calling; and often in same old 5 pack look, often with a smallish tailback in as blocking help ... and defences know this, and can just tee off in pass rush, with lots of blitz ... then expect your QB to get hit some, punished some and maybe injured some. That seems fairly obvious , to me anyways. Little run game, little variety in play-calling with same old standard look = helps the defence - they know what to expect and can key on it.
    Please don't wave a pitcher of cold clear water in front of parched fans suffering in a relentless desert of arid offence, with feasting flocks of defensive vultures.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I kind of struggle with this thinking. I've seen just as many terrible American offensive linemen as some Canadians put out there (Cave, Fonoti, etc vs. Neufeld, Sewell, etc).
    Difference being they invest way less time in Americans if they show they can't play. Fonoti got 1 start, sucked, was invited back to camp and got cut. How long did Sewell get?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Difference being they invest way less time in Americans if they show they can't play. Fonoti got 1 start, sucked, was invited back to camp and got cut. How long did Sewell get?
    True enough. Sewell got ample opportunity due to his passport. The biases do work both ways at times.