Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Ownership very quiet

I think they're observing the football operation. I think it's a bad sign when ownership chooses not to market one player but the atmosphere of the stadium...perhaps that tells you what they think of the product?

After Argo losses at home by 22, 10, 17 and 23 points, it would not surprise me if they're quietly looking for changes in the football department while getting their axes sharpened.

Forget the Grey Cup, will this team even make the playoffs?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    I think they're observing the football operation. I think it's a bad sign when ownership chooses not to market one player but the atmosphere of the stadium...perhaps that tells you what they think of the product.
    The big change for the Argos this past off season was the move to BMO Field and the change in game viewing atmosphere versus that of the cavernous Rogers Centre.
    Ownership's marketing of that plus tailgating over any individual player was the correct strategy.
    Sadly, the apathy in Toronto toward the CFL/Argos is greater than any of us realized.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think they're observing the football operation. I think it's a bad sign when ownership chooses not to market one player but the atmosphere of the stadium...perhaps that tells you what they think of the product?

After Argo losses at home by 22, 10, 17 and 23 points, it would not surprise me if they're quietly looking for changes in the football department while getting their axes sharpened.

Forget the Grey Cup, will this team even make the playoffs?
    I never thought that it had anything to do with the new ownership believing that they had nobody to market, but that the people they were tying to reach out to (the Liberty Village hipster) doesn't know or care who Ricky Foley is.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I never thought that it had anything to do with the new ownership believing that they had nobody to market, but that the people they were tying to reach out to (the Liberty Village hipster) doesn't know or care who Ricky Foley is.
    What kind of micro marketing crap is that...the hipsters at Liberty Village, then when I watch their tailgate commercials which haven't been on for a week or two, they keep showing people that look nothing like hipsters from Liberty Village, but more like the set of an MTV video. I've seen very few people that look like the people on those commercials at the game so it's obviously not working. They didn't even use Ricky Ray who is the closest thing to a household name on the Argos....and your right about Ricky Foley. This guy is a veteran who is now on the back end, but is he the only guy available to talk to TSN 1050....no GM, no coach, just Ricky Foley being asked dumb questions by Hayes...What kind of marketing and promotion is that.

Do any of their American receivers that are supposedly valuable players do interviews. I don't think I've ever heard Tori Gurley or Elliot speak. I have heard Hazelton. Brandon Whitaker is another guy that could've been marketed because you could see with the naked eye that he cares and gives a 100%. Sure, he may not break one all the time, but he's not calling the idiotic plays.

Don't even get me to start talking about Canadian talent. There are posters on here who think it's great....WHAT ARE THEY WATCHING.???? Declan Cross dropped a ball last week in the middle of the field with no Bomber around him for 15 yards. It's as if he was playing Peewee football. That's not professional and I heard a fan in a private box yell out, "you're fired." How could we not agree with that assessment...that's an example of a lack of accountability. The best organizations know that Canadians are your most valuable assets for marketing and developing fan loyalty through their quality of play and their identity. When the Argos ignore that, especially on the offensive side of the ball, they fail to get fans to emotionally invest in this team and ruin the reputation of the league at the same time by filling the rosters with NFL rejects who are not really better than CIS experienced players. (Case in point...Taylor Loffler would be our best hitter in the secondary if he played here and he's a rookie out of UBC getting playing time in Winnipeg)

Put an entertaining product on the field with players who want to play hard until every whistle on every play. The Argos may be 4-4, but the entertainment level at home has been putrid even with Ray in the lineup. Just for that reason alone, compounded with the attendance and fan apathy in a Grey Cup hosting season, and you can bet there will be changes in the football department for year 2 at BMO.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    It didn't help by not signing Chad Owens who is a fan favorite and doing well in the Hammer.

It might be an age thing but those Argo commercials to me don't cut the mustard. Do people who don't know the team realize that those are Argonaut players running through the streets or just actors. They need to dummy it right down to the lowest simplistic level. Sort of like a US silly catchy commercial.

Give tickets away! It can't hurt.

Oh and Neely! Life changes but I've done my part as I've yapped on about. I've also been to too many CFL games to list. I've been to 28 Grey Cups missing a few games but not the four day party. Next year in Ottawa will be 30 Grey Cups. I can talk about attendance all that I want. It's a football forum and it's a major issue. I've spent so much on CFL football over the years that I could be happily retired with a great bank roll had I not enjoyed CFL games and culture for ever and ever. Our lives revolve around the CFL schedule. That isn't complaining, it's talking.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Every guy who drops the first pass ever thrown to him should instantly be fired. That's the secret to marketing the team.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Every guy who drops the first pass ever thrown to him should instantly be fired. That's the secret to marketing the team.
    That's the secret to looking like a professional football team that deserves to be supported because they have quality players, especially their local talent who should not be signed and treated as token players which gives the public the perception that they're only on the team because of their passport. The Argos player management has at times given this perception and it has contributed as to why many in the GTA thinks the team, nor the league is not worth watching or spending money to support. That's the sad reality whether you like it or not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    That's the secret to looking like a professional football team that deserves to be supported because they have quality players, especially their local talent who should not be signed and treated as token players which gives the public the perception that they're only on the team because of their passport. The Argos player management has at times given this perception and it has contributed as to why many in the GTA thinks the team, nor the league is not worth watching or spending money to support. That's the sad reality whether you like it or not.
    So we're clear -- if a "local talent" drops one pass and gets cut, that will improve public perception of the team?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Milanovich has guys like Coombs surely wanting out. Milo really comes across as that very old school coach. He rides Whitaker like a rented mule but really should be rotating and resting him more. Just look at how effectively Calgary uses all of their players no matter their nationality. By the way Calgary is my choice to win Grey Cup 2016 in Toronto.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Agree completely with 1argoholic, Coombs has been virtually nowhere to be seen in the Argos' offensive schemes. Very odd considering the guy's talent and the fact he's a ratio-buster. Then again, Durie hasn't been playing much either (possibly just too old and injury-prone these days). But the lack of a running attack is pretty common in the CFL this year. I was at the Ott-Mtl game on Friday and Ottawa barely ran the ball for the entire first half (Montreal, by comparison, ran it quite effectively with Rutley). Duane Ford was also commenting on yesterday's broadcast that the Argos could've used Whitaker in the first quarter when they were down but still had lots of time but chose to keep passing (and, ahem, throwing interceptions). I've always been a pretty big fan of Milanovich, but not yesterday.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So we're clear -- if a "local talent" drops one pass and gets cut, that will improve public perception of the team?
    If anyone drops a pass as ridiculously simple as that one was, then yes it will improve public perception of the team because at least people who are at the stadium and fans watching on TV will know the players will be made to account. The bleeding hearts were all crying about Jim Popp's comments, but all he did was be honest and hold his players accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Milanovich has guys like Coombs surely wanting out. Milo really comes across as that very old school coach. He rides Whitaker like a rented mule but really should be rotating and resting him more. Just look at how effectively Calgary uses all of their players no matter their nationality. By the way Calgary is my choice to win Grey Cup 2016 in Toronto.
    He's hardly old school, I think he let's the players run the team from what I've seen and their performance shows that. Half the guys walk out the dressing room not being ready to play the game. They look like disorganized individuals who just happen to be wearing the same football uniform than a focused team ready to work together with the same goal in mind.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue1873 View Post
    Agree completely with 1argoholic, Coombs has been virtually nowhere to be seen in the Argos' offensive schemes. Very odd considering the guy's talent and the fact he's a ratio-buster. Then again, Durie hasn't been playing much either (possibly just too old and injury-prone these days). But the lack of a running attack is pretty common in the CFL this year. I was at the Ott-Mtl game on Friday and Ottawa barely ran the ball for the entire first half (Montreal, by comparison, ran it quite effectively with Rutley). Duane Ford was also commenting on yesterday's broadcast that the Argos could've used Whitaker in the first quarter when they were down but still had lots of time but chose to keep passing (and, ahem, throwing interceptions). I've always been a pretty big fan of Milanovich, but not yesterday.
    I thought Coombs had a good rookie season last year and has hardly touched the ball this year. Ottawa released Nic Grigsby because they just want to use Kienan Lafrance at RB. They hardly rushed the ball and ended up getting pounded at home, losing 43-19. I agree with Duane Ford, they should've used Whitaker out of the backfield more, but Milo likes watching Kilgore throw interceptions...maybe subconsciously Kilgore reminds him of his QB career in the CFL. You figure with that honker, Kilgore would be able to sniff out some open receivers, or at least some defenders that come between his passes and his receivers.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    It didn't help by not signing Chad Owens who is a fan favorite and doing well in the Hammer.
    Hey, great minds think alike ... I was just thinking about this today! : )
    There is no price tag on heart and motivation. By not signing Owens, The Argos missed a great marketing person, a team leader, and a inspiration.
    Youth identified with him, kids loved him like a superhero, not to mention what most adults thought of him while he was an Argo.
    Now he is working his magic in Hamilton. He scored 2 TDs last night, and was working the crowd, as well as the Tiger Cat bench. Barker (or whoever) F'ed up and The Argos dropped the ball BIGTIME! Who do the Argos have now? *crickets*

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I thought Coombs had a good rookie season last year and has hardly touched the ball this year. Ottawa released Nic Grigsby because they just want to use Kienan Lafrance at RB. They hardly rushed the ball and ended up getting pounded at home, losing 43-19. I agree with Duane Ford, they should've used Whitaker out of the backfield more, but Milo likes watching Kilgore throw interceptions...maybe subconsciously Kilgore reminds him of his QB career in the CFL. You figure with that honker, Kilgore would be able to sniff out some open receivers, or at least some defenders that come between his passes and his receivers.
    This is Coombs 3rd season. He can not help it if he is not targeted. In general this team's problems seem to stem from lack of creative plays and play calling. There is another that is somewhat difficult to say ............. ratio related.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    REAL, I've been saying that forever. No one uses their talent better then Calgary. Why dress talented guys like Coombs to stand on the sidelines? Coombs would have terrific numbers if he was used.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Coombs and Durie are not playing much because ever since Ricky got hurt, and even before that to some extent, we have used a tight end (Dupuis) on most snaps. I believe that is a way of compensating for poor o-line play. There's no sense adding a weapon if the QB is gonna get crushed repeatedly. If and when we get better blocking and a QB who can make fast reads, I expect Coombs and to a lesser extent Durie to start getting more snaps.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    speaking of blocking - what's up with Bourke this year? he racked up a bunch of penalties on Saturday - do we attribute this to him having to block Odell Willis? Feel like he's been heavily penalized this year so far or is it just me?

Boatman
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level

It might be an age thing but those Argo commercials to me don't cut the mustard. Do people who don't know the team realize that those are Argonaut players running through the streets or just actors. They need to dummy it right down to the lowest simplistic level. Sort of like a US silly catchy commercial.

Give tickets away! It can't hurt.

Oh and Neely! Life changes but I've done my part as I've yapped on about. I've also been to too many CFL games to list. I've been to 28 Grey Cups missing a few games but not the four day party. Next year in Ottawa will be 30 Grey Cups. I can talk about attendance all that I want. It's a football forum and it's a major issue. I've spent so much on CFL football over the years that I could be happily retired with a great bank roll had I not enjoyed CFL games and culture for ever and ever. Our lives revolve around the CFL schedule. That isn't complaining, it's talking.
    Quick note: Did you know it was Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip who first referred to Hamilton as 'The Hammer'??

That is all.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    That was quite the touch of a true Canadian experience the other night. I never classified my self as a Hip fan but holy crap somehow I know every song. Sad times but what a showman. The guy is a true wordsmith.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Coombs and Durie are not playing much because ever since Ricky got hurt, and even before that to some extent, we have used a tight end (Dupuis) on most snaps. I believe that is a way of compensating for poor o-line play. There's no sense adding a weapon if the QB is gonna get crushed repeatedly. If and when we get better blocking and a QB who can make fast reads, I expect Coombs and to a lesser extent Durie to start getting more snaps.
    Then why not try a pound the ball on the ground more if the O-line can't prevent a rush during pass blocking, which is much harder on the O-line than run blocking. If the poor O-line with the poor secondary doesn't have the depth to compensate injuries to starters coming out of training camp, then how can people realistically talk about this team as a Grey Cup contender or of even hosting a playoff game. They are just not that great team, maybe not even a good team as they've shown at home.

Furthermore, how could people not hold the GM and Coach largely responsible for the inconsistencies on this roster. We got to stop giving Barker a pass because of injuries. Every team has injuries. Hamilton lost the projected MOP for an entire calendar year. He hasn't delivered the talent and the Free Agent signings have not shown improvement to the team compared to last season.