Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The Argos have been notorious in not allowing or giving a fair shake to CIS players. Look around the league at most other teams who value CIS players and many have become stars no matter where they are from. I think Wally has always done a terrific job in utilizing Canadians. The Stamps have been great as well. Perhaps the issue is with where teams are spending most of their time scouting. Barker seems to have small college USA covered very well but CIS seems to be more of an after thought or a necessary evil to him. My perception of his drafting of CIS players. He takes a lot of gambles but perhaps that's his way of crapping on the system. Every year we shake our heads after the draft wondering why Barker passes on quality CIS known CIS talent only to go way off the board.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The last few years though Barker has turned to the CIS players along with a couple of Juniors. Dupuis, Gabriel, Sewell (kind of a failure, turned into Shawn Lemon), McEwen, Waud, Walker, Jones, Noel, Campbell, Sackey, Cross and Newton. I think half a dozen of that group are or will be starters. It goes in cycles. The 2018 draft might have more NCAA players picked as there are quite a few Canadians down there in their Junior year right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    The Argos have been notorious in not allowing or giving a fair shake to CIS players. Look around the league at most other teams who value CIS players and many have become stars no matter where they are from. I think Wally has always done a terrific job in utilizing Canadians. The Stamps have been great as well. Perhaps the issue is with where teams are spending most of their time scouting. Barker seems to have small college USA covered very well but CIS seems to be more of an after thought or a necessary evil to him. My perception of his drafting of CIS players. He takes a lot of gambles but perhaps that's his way of crapping on the system. Every year we shake our heads after the draft wondering why Barker passes on quality CIS known CIS talent only to go way off the board.
    I don't think there is a shred of evidence for this being true in the Barker era. Five of their seven first-rounders since 2010 have come from CIS. Exceptions being Eppele in 2010 and Holmes in 2011. This year eight out of nine picks came from CIS, and the other (Noel) came from Cdn junior football via CIS. (Six of them have dressed for us this year.) Last year all seven picks came from CIS. (Four have dressed for us this season.) The previous year all nine came from CIS. (Three are still with us and one with B.C.) So IMO it's absurd to suggest we "have been notorious in not allowing or giving a fair shake to CIS players." Maybe that was true 10-15-20 years ago, but it sure isn't true in recent years.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't think there is a shred of evidence for this being true in the Barker era. Five of their seven first-rounders since 2010 have come from CIS. Exceptions being Eppele in 2010 and Holmes in 2011. This year eight out of nine picks came from CIS, and the other (Noel) came from Cdn junior football via CIS. (Six of them have dressed for us this year.) Last year all seven picks came from CIS. (Four have dressed for us this season.) The previous year all nine came from CIS. (Three are still with us and one with B.C.) So IMO it's absurd to suggest we "have been notorious in not allowing or giving a fair shake to CIS players." Maybe that was true 10-15-20 years ago, but it sure isn't true in recent years.
    Pfft. Facts - Who needs 'em