Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Coombs and Durie are not playing much because ever since Ricky got hurt, and even before that to some extent, we have used a tight end (Dupuis) on most snaps. I believe that is a way of compensating for poor o-line play. There's no sense adding a weapon if the QB is gonna get crushed repeatedly. If and when we get better blocking and a QB who can make fast reads, I expect Coombs and to a lesser extent Durie to start getting more snaps.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    speaking of blocking - what's up with Bourke this year? he racked up a bunch of penalties on Saturday - do we attribute this to him having to block Odell Willis? Feel like he's been heavily penalized this year so far or is it just me?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    speaking of blocking - what's up with Bourke this year? he racked up a bunch of penalties on Saturday - do we attribute this to him having to block Odell Willis? Feel like he's been heavily penalized this year so far or is it just me?
    Not one of our o-linemen has had a good season. Bourke has been well below his past form, so have Van Zeyl and Holmes. Too early to rate McEwen. Watman has been OK.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Coombs and Durie are not playing much because ever since Ricky got hurt, and even before that to some extent, we have used a tight end (Dupuis) on most snaps. I believe that is a way of compensating for poor o-line play. There's no sense adding a weapon if the QB is gonna get crushed repeatedly. If and when we get better blocking and a QB who can make fast reads, I expect Coombs and to a lesser extent Durie to start getting more snaps.
    Then why not try a pound the ball on the ground more if the O-line can't prevent a rush during pass blocking, which is much harder on the O-line than run blocking. If the poor O-line with the poor secondary doesn't have the depth to compensate injuries to starters coming out of training camp, then how can people realistically talk about this team as a Grey Cup contender or of even hosting a playoff game. They are just not that great team, maybe not even a good team as they've shown at home.

Furthermore, how could people not hold the GM and Coach largely responsible for the inconsistencies on this roster. We got to stop giving Barker a pass because of injuries. Every team has injuries. Hamilton lost the projected MOP for an entire calendar year. He hasn't delivered the talent and the Free Agent signings have not shown improvement to the team compared to last season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Then why not try a pound the ball on the ground more if the O-line can't prevent a rush during pass blocking, which is much harder on the O-line than run blocking.
    We don't run-block particularly well, either. Two games excepted out of eight, and in one of those (Saturday's) most of Whitaker's yards came when the Esks were just trying to run out the clock of a laugher.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    That was quite the touch of a true Canadian experience the other night. I never classified my self as a Hip fan but holy crap somehow I know every song. Sad times but what a showman. The guy is a true wordsmith.

Boatman
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    That was quite the touch of a true Canadian experience the other night. I never classified my self as a Hip fan but holy crap somehow I know every song. Sad times but what a showman. The guy is a true wordsmith.
    Yeah I'm with you. I never identified myself as a Hip fan. But as I watched the replay of the show (I was at the game obviously), every song I recognized and I kept saying 'Oh yeah, I love this song!' Until toward the end I realized I was actually a Tragically Hip fan and didn't even really know it.

Boatman
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
    Yeah I'm with you. I never identified myself as a Hip fan. But as I watched the replay of the show (I was at the game obviously), every song I recognized and I kept saying 'Oh yeah, I love this song!' Until toward the end I realized I was actually a Tragically Hip fan and didn't even really know it.
    lol same thing for me! I was surprised at how many songs I knew and enjoyed! I grew up with it and the radio stations in Kingston play them constantly.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I guess Mike Hogan knows the guys from his high school days in Kingston as he's mentioned to us in the past.

Hey Neely, my motto is 'If Your Not Bitchin, Your Not Livin'. hahaha. I just came up with that gem. Sounds like an album name to me. Plus It's cool to hate, that great Offspring line.
    I'm really not a fan of most people so I do bitch and complain about them. Animals are a different story, they kick ass. I'll have to run my new motto past my wife during the next Argo game when she says, "I'm the only one here to hear you bitch". haha. It's all fun.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    So wait, one dropped pass = automatic cut ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    So wait, one dropped pass = automatic cut ?
    According to the guru Gil The Thrill, yes.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I'm sure there was a nicer way to say that, Angelo. ;)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Actually there wasn't. I tried really hard too. You should have seen my first 50 drafts.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Actually there wasn't. I tried really hard too. You should have seen my first 50 drafts.
    "Cognitively-impaired" ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    all CFL GOB decisions
    If this actually existed there would never be a Cornish or an Andrew Harris. They never would have got the chance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If this actually existed there would never be a Cornish or an Andrew Harris. They never would have got the chance.
    Note they didn't play in Toronto. I don't think it's as conspiratorial, but there has been plenty of nationals who have not got a good chance to show their stuff in Toronto.

OV mentioned Niewesteeg, as a recent Canadian who hardly got a look by the Argos...you could go back over the years and the list is shocking. How many CIS all-stars were barely given any playing time, especially on offence. From Elberg, to Irwin, to Jock Climie who ended up going to Ottawa and then had a great career with Montreal. Even Paul Nastasiuk. Durie might as well have retired with how little he's being used presently and Coombs looks to be well on his way to marginalization by this Argo regime after having a good rookie year.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Please try not to be jackasses, everyone. If you see a post that you think fails to meet this standard, report it. We've already temp-banned someone this week, so rest assured that your concerns will be taken seriously.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos have been notorious in not allowing or giving a fair shake to CIS players. Look around the league at most other teams who value CIS players and many have become stars no matter where they are from. I think Wally has always done a terrific job in utilizing Canadians. The Stamps have been great as well. Perhaps the issue is with where teams are spending most of their time scouting. Barker seems to have small college USA covered very well but CIS seems to be more of an after thought or a necessary evil to him. My perception of his drafting of CIS players. He takes a lot of gambles but perhaps that's his way of crapping on the system. Every year we shake our heads after the draft wondering why Barker passes on quality CIS known CIS talent only to go way off the board.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The last few years though Barker has turned to the CIS players along with a couple of Juniors. Dupuis, Gabriel, Sewell (kind of a failure, turned into Shawn Lemon), McEwen, Waud, Walker, Jones, Noel, Campbell, Sackey, Cross and Newton. I think half a dozen of that group are or will be starters. It goes in cycles. The 2018 draft might have more NCAA players picked as there are quite a few Canadians down there in their Junior year right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    The Argos have been notorious in not allowing or giving a fair shake to CIS players. Look around the league at most other teams who value CIS players and many have become stars no matter where they are from. I think Wally has always done a terrific job in utilizing Canadians. The Stamps have been great as well. Perhaps the issue is with where teams are spending most of their time scouting. Barker seems to have small college USA covered very well but CIS seems to be more of an after thought or a necessary evil to him. My perception of his drafting of CIS players. He takes a lot of gambles but perhaps that's his way of crapping on the system. Every year we shake our heads after the draft wondering why Barker passes on quality CIS known CIS talent only to go way off the board.
    I don't think there is a shred of evidence for this being true in the Barker era. Five of their seven first-rounders since 2010 have come from CIS. Exceptions being Eppele in 2010 and Holmes in 2011. This year eight out of nine picks came from CIS, and the other (Noel) came from Cdn junior football via CIS. (Six of them have dressed for us this year.) Last year all seven picks came from CIS. (Four have dressed for us this season.) The previous year all nine came from CIS. (Three are still with us and one with B.C.) So IMO it's absurd to suggest we "have been notorious in not allowing or giving a fair shake to CIS players." Maybe that was true 10-15-20 years ago, but it sure isn't true in recent years.