Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Paul Bennett, Mookie, Danny Bass, Willie Pless as well. Danny and Pless were massive stars after they left.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Paul Bennett, Mookie, Danny Bass, Willie Pless as well. Danny and Pless were massive stars after they left.
    Pless was traded for Matt Dunigan, who won us a Grey Cup a year later. Hated to lose Pless -- he was fabulous from his first game in the CFL -- but I'd make that trade 100 times out of 100.

Bass was sent away in possibly the worst trade Ralph Sazio ever made -- for defensive lineman Reggie Lewis, who played a few games and then tried his luck in the NFL.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Pless was traded for Matt Dunigan, who won us a Grey Cup a year later. Hated to lose Pless -- he was fabulous from his first game in the CFL -- but I'd make that trade 100 times out of 100.

Bass was sent away in possibly the worst trade Ralph Sazio ever made -- for defensive lineman Reggie Lewis, who played a few games and then tried his luck in the NFL.

Pless was traded along with a whole whack of other Argos for Dunigan - who played for the Argos for how many seasons? Beauty to get an all-time great QB who helped win ONE GC; giving up an all-time great CFL linebacker as part of the deal = no.

Pless should have been an untouchable IMO; I really doubt BC would have refused the trade if the Argos had offered up another good young D starter instead of Pless.

Real fans should be wise to know their team history and be aware that management is capable of some very stupid/moronic moves that see great players traded away or cut or mistreated; and hope history does not repeat itself too often. Pless. Bennett, Neil Lumsden, Sowieta, etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Pless was traded along with a whole whack of other Argos for Dunigan - who played for the Argos for how many seasons? Beauty to get an all-time great QB who helped win ONE GC; giving up an all-time great CFL linebacker as part of the deal = no.

Pless should have been an untouchable IMO;
    All your roster ideas finally make sense. Actually winning a championship is not as valuable to you as having a player you like fill a roster spot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    All your roster ideas finally make sense. Actually winning a championship is not as valuable to you as having a player you like fill a roster spot.
    The writers who vote for CIS and CFL all-stars are the real champions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yeah - Pless never did much in his CFL career after the Argos gave him away; just an average joe filling a roster spot. The Argos also gave up Jerald Baylis, Emanuel Tolbert, Tony Visco, Todd Wiseman and QB Rick Johnson in that trade to get Dunigan.

Oh boy, winning one GC in an 8 or 9 team league - such a rare feat - I'd do anything to get a QB who might help win a "championship" - hell trade the whole team now for Collaros or Kevin Glenn.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Oh boy, winning one GC in an 8 or 9 team league - such a rare feat - I'd do anything to get a QB who might help win a "championship" - hell trade the whole team now for Collaros or Kevin Glenn.
    Okay, if winning a championship isn't the goal for you, what is?

As for the winning in an 8 or 9 team league...I trust you are not a Maple Leafs fan either.
    In their oh-so-glorious history, they have NEVER won a championship in a league with more than 8 teams (and most of them were in a 6 team league).

As for it not being a rare feat to win in an 8 or 9 team league, perhaps you should become a Roughriders fan. I'm sure they might have a different opinion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    Okay, if winning a championship isn't the goal for you, what is?

As for the winning in an 8 or 9 team league...I trust you are not a Maple Leafs fan either.
    In their oh-so-glorious history, they have NEVER won a championship in a league with more than 8 teams (and most of them were in a 6 team league).

As for it not being a rare feat to win in an 8 or 9 team league, perhaps you should become a Roughriders fan. I'm sure they might have a different opinion.
    Pretty sure Bomber and Ticat fans aren't happy with their current Grey Cup droughts. As we all know, the Argos managed to go 31 years without winning one. In the NHL, the Bruins and Rangers combined for exactly zero Cups in the six-team era (1942-67). Black Hawks only did it once.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yeah - Pless never did much in his CFL career after the Argos gave him away; just an average joe filling a roster spot. The Argos also gave up Jerald Baylis, Emanuel Tolbert, Tony Visco, Todd Wiseman and QB Rick Johnson in that trade to get Dunigan.

So you accept I got it right that you choose players you like over teams winning championships. The strawman attempt failed.

As for Rare? You keep using that word but I do not think it means what you think it means.

As for how rare an event it was to actually win a Cup ... just how many Cups did the Argos win between 1954 and 1989? I'll give you a second to figure it out and just why any team may feel making a big move is worth it regardless of how some linebacker may play 5 years in the future. In the Argos case they made a move and got the championship. (Which you probably hated)

As for your hyperbole "Collaros and Glenn" reference ... I figure the vast vast vast majority of fans would make that trade if it resulted in a Grey Cup win. You OTOH stand alone as a dude that doesn't care if the team wins as long as the player you like has his spot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    As for Rare? You keep using that word but I do not think it means what you think it means.
    LMAO!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So you accept I got it right that you choose players you like over teams winning championships. The strawman attempt failed.

As for how rare an event it was to actually win a Cup ... just how many Cups did the Argos win between 1954 and 1989? I'll give you a second to figure it out and just why any team may feel making a big move is worth it regardless of how some linebacker may play 5 years in the future. In the Argos case they made a move and got the championship. (Which you probably hated)

As for your hyperbole "Collaros and Glenn" reference ... I figure the vast vast vast majority of fans would make that trade if it resulted in a Grey Cup win. You OTOH stand alone as a dude that doesn't care if the team wins as long as the player you like has his spot.
    You're totally clueless in your attempt to win some sort of grade 5 level debating class project.

I never said the Argos should not have traded for an all-time great QB in Dunigan - who helped them win one GC and then was gone shortly thereafer; I said they should NOT have included an all-time great CFL defensive player in Willie Pless in that deal - can you comprehend this??? - or maybe you can offer some absolute proof that the deal would never have happened if Pless was off the table there ? Yeah - i just hated the Argos winning the 91 GC with Dunigan - not a real true fan like you i guess - chump.