Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The problem was the stupid decision to let Dunigan walk after the 1991 season in favor of Rickey Foggie. That move set the Argos back four years and contributed to the downward spiral of the team's off-field fortunes in Toronto. Yes, Pless was an all-time linebacker, but the Argos actually filled that void nicely for several season with Darryl Ford, Chris Gaines and Don Moen. But, Gaines decided to retire after the 1991 season, I don't know what happened to Ford and Don Moen was heading towards the twilight of his career.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    The problem was the stupid decision to let Dunigan walk after the 1991 season in favor of Rickey Foggie. That move set the Argos back four years and contributed to the downward spiral of the team's off-field fortunes in Toronto. Yes, Pless was an all-time linebacker, but the Argos actually filled that void nicely for several season with Darryl Ford, Chris Gaines and Don Moen. But, Gaines decided to retire after the 1991 season, I don't know what happened to Ford and Don Moen was heading towards the twilight of his career.
    I remember Pless playing in his first pre-season game for the Argos, immediately you knew he was something special.
    Smaller guy who could really move well and a tackling machine on top of that.
    Agree with AF87, the stupid move was not retaining Dunigan's services for longer tenure.
    Another guy I really liked was Sam Mills who tried out for the Argonauts in 1982 and despite playing very well was cut, loved O'Billovich but he was capable of making some head scratching personnel decisions at times, Mills went on to play in the USFL and starred for many years in the NFL with New Orleans and Carolina.
    He sadly passed away from cancer a few years ago.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I remember Pless playing in his first pre-season game for the Argos, immediately you knew he was something special.
    Smaller guy who could really move well and a tackling machine on top of that.
    Agree with AF87, the stupid move was not retaining Dunigan's services for longer tenure.
    Another guy I really liked was Sam Mills who tried out for the Argonauts in 1982 and despite playing very well was cut, loved O'Billovich but he was capable of making some head scratching personnel decisions at times, Mills went on to play in the USFL and starred for many years in the NFL with New Orleans and Carolina.
    He sadly passed away from cancer a few years ago.
    Are you saying you actually noticed Mills during his Argo preseason and wanted him to be kept? If so, you would have been one of an extremely small group. I paid an absurd amount of attention to the roster back then, getting the (fat) preseason prospectuses and going to home preseason games. And I have no recollection of Mills as an Argo other than knowing he was one for a few weeks.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Are you saying you actually noticed Mills during his Argo preseason and wanted him to be kept? If so, you would have been one of an extremely small group. I paid an absurd amount of attention to the roster back then, getting the (fat) preseason prospectuses and going to home preseason games. And I have no recollection of Mills as an Argo other than knowing he was one for a few weeks.
    Wouldnt have posted this if I didn't notice him.
    I remember my father noticing him as well, I was a 17 year old kid obsessed with the Argonauts keenly interested in the team and any new players playing in their pre-season games.
    My father and I didn't miss a game from 1982 thru 1986, loved seeing the new players in pre season and trying to predict who would make the team each year.
    Incredible, maybe some keen young kid just watching his team noticed something that you didn't.
    I had the thin preseason prospectuses.......it's called a game program.
    Last edited by Argo57; 08-25-2016 at 10:30 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I also remember the huge Training Camp that Sam Mills had, as I studied this team like an Argo Nerd through this era especially. I remember the surprise when Mills didn't make the team. I vaguely recall a 10 tackle PS game, and that Pete Martin was big on this guy. I think it was John Pointer who beat Mills out ultimately. The Argos were a good team then so not many people questioned OB. He took em to the Grey Cup. I think after Pointer, the team settled on Darrell Nicholson, and that group went on and got us our first Grey Cup in 30 years.

We all remember that parade, don't we? (;

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    I also remember the huge Training Camp that Sam Mills had, as I studied this team like an Argo Nerd through this era especially. I remember the surprise when Mills didn't make the team. I vaguely recall a 10 tackle PS game, and that Pete Martin was big on this guy. I think it was John Pointer who beat Mills out ultimately. The Argos were a good team then so not many people questioned OB. He took em to the Grey Cup. I think after Pointer, the team settled on Darrell Nicholson, and that group went on and got us our first Grey Cup in 30 years.

We all remember that parade, don't we? (;
    LOL Gonzo, I guess that makes two of us who remembered Mills, I wish there was more kids obsessed with the Argos like we were back in those days!!
    You are indeed correct Jon, Pointer in 82, Nicholson in 83.
    I remember Nicholson being dealt to Calgary a year or two later.
    I followed Mills career pretty closely after him being cut by the Argonauts always fascinated that O'Billovich cut him loose and his subsequent success down south.
    Argos had some good linebackers come and go during this era, William Mitchell was another good one and of course Don Moen.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    LOL Gonzo, I guess that makes two of us who remembered Mills, I wish there was more kids obsessed with the Argos like we were back in those days!!
    You are indeed correct Jon, Pointer in 82, Nicholson in 83.
    I remember Nicholson being dealt to Calgary a year or two later.
    I followed Mills career pretty closely after him being cut by the Argonauts always fascinated that O'Billovich cut him loose and his subsequent success down south.
    Argos had some good linebackers come and go during this era, William Mitchell was another good one and of course Don Moen.

Yeah Moen arrived at a good time to be an Argo Fan. He was very steady, didn't miss a tackle, was an ironman, and could shed a block very well. But he was also lucky to line up beside some great MLBs. As we have discussed; Pointer, Mills, Nicholson and William Mitchell. And as you point out, the streak that came thereafter. Moen got to play with Willie Pless, Tank Landry, Chris Gaines, and Ken Benson. That didn't hurt.