Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    There was no overreaction. There was appropriate reaction to an unnecessary, desperation, overpayment for a washed up player in a trade that completely destroyed the locker room.

It was a moron, desperate trade - plain & simple.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    It was a trade forced by ownership because the Argos were hosting a Grey Cup. Wrong place, wrong time for Barker, and it cost him his job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    This is exactly what was debated over the months, rather the actual trade itself IMO. Everyone knows it was a bad trade, especially when looking at the pieces involved. 2 picks (top pick) and Heath does not equal Willy, but it was the thought that the team took a step back and that they were perhaps "doomed" is what got tiresome for some, myself included.
    I agree 100%...there's no "dooming" in the CFL. Its very rare that a draft pick turns out to be a real game changer, and while Heath was doing great he's not the "piece of the puzzle" to any Grey Cup team. It was a bad trade, that screwed the team LAST YEAR...I was very glad to have Willy in camp, and was just as glad that he was cut as I would been if he was kept. If he was kept, I would have believed he would have helped the team, because he had a new set of eyes on him. If Barker had of been around and kept him, I would have been suspicious.

That being said, the trade was not a game changer, may have set the Argos back slightly, maybe not...let's move on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    This is exactly what was debated over the months, rather the actual trade itself IMO. Everyone knows it was a bad trade, especially when looking at the pieces involved. 2 picks (top pick) and Heath does not equal Willy, but it was the thought that the team took a step back and that they were perhaps "doomed" is what got tiresome for some, myself included.
    On the field Gabe, agreed.

Popp & Trestman have been a godsent. We have seemingly figured our way around that mistake. But it's not that simple really is it? How long and productive a career does Faith E have? So the history book stays open, and we/ they will still evaluate just 'how bad' this mistake was.

Sorry, but that's the way it goes.

And we all know that that's not the whole story.

Off the field, the Argos in the City of Toronto; we all know we need positive news. Repeated positive news, repeated by the media. The Grey Cup the new stadium were set ups for the Argos to take advantage of. Even non-fans of the Argos were concerned for the health and future of the Argos.

It seems that the people who defended this trade like to call those who were 'concerned' as 'doomsayers.' Even when the concerns were plainly obvious.

This product isn't selling folks and that we will have to turn that around. Last year was very ill timed, and if this ship doesn't get turned around this type of conversation will be be at the crux of that sad story.

I am afraid that some of you don't understand how modern media (Bell included) operates, and I have come to understand that some people here would prefer to cover their ears & eyes anytime anything negative wanders down the street.

I submit that this is no way to deal with any problems in life. Negative stuff happens. State it plainly, deal with it, learn and move on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    The trade did not doom the franchise. Nor did it help the franchise. The likelihood that we would have made the playoffs and gone on a nice run if it hadn't been made is very low, IMO. The likelihood that our defence would be playing better than it is now if Heath were still here is low, IMO. Bottom line, it does not matter at this point. The deal was done, history will pass judgment on it when we see how the careers of Ekakitie and Heath and the future pick play out, and how the Argos do over that period of time.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The trade did not doom the franchise. Nor did it help the franchise. The likelihood that we would have made the playoffs and gone on a nice run if it hadn't been made is very low, IMO. The likelihood that our defence would be playing better than it is now if Heath were still here is low, IMO. Bottom line, it does not matter at this point. The deal was done, history will pass judgment on it when we see how the careers of Ekakitie and Heath and the future pick play out, and how the Argos do over that period of time.
    Sometimes there is a silver lining. The deal doomed Barker and eventually Milanovich IMO. But when it all played out I believe we are better because of the changes. Trestman just is a better Coach and we still have Ricky Ray. Popp has brought in some good veterans like Green and Woods who probably wouldn't be here if the previous GM was here. I still like Jim Barker but sometimes it just time for a change.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

The Redblacks won the Cup with an 8 win season last year and history is ongoing and fluid not linear; therefore, it always matters. Especially when it matters.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I am not discounting that one man's failure isn't another man's opportunity. This is what we have been very fortunate with as Argo fans. Things could have been decidedly worse. It didn't look good. Now, at least, Mr. Copeland has something to work with. He'll need to do his part too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    The Redblacks won the Cup with an 8 win season last year and history is ongoing and fluid not linear; therefore, it always matters. Especially when it matters.
    If you are suggesting we could have won the Grey Cup if we hadn't made that trade, afraid I have to disagree. I have no idea what the rest of the statement means, but I do know that nothing in the past can be changed. We have who we have now, and I like our team. I did not like our team last year with either LeFevour or Willy at QB.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If you are suggesting we could have won the Grey Cup if we hadn't made that trade, afraid I have to disagree. I have no idea what the rest of the statement means, but I do know that nothing in the past can be changed. We have who we have now, and I like our team. I did not like our team last year with either LeFevour or Willy at QB.
    Lefevour was the Golden Boy after the Labour Day rematch. Some forget that Ray and the Argos shredded that D in LD game the previous week in a hostile environment, and annointed DL the chosen one at the time. He showed it was a smoke screen 2 weeks later in Ottawa, and he was replaced by Willy who actually outplayed him on that night.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Plus, teams make money in hosting a play-off game, and even more prestige/attention (media & fans) in winning there and going on to the East final or possibly the GC.

Flushing the season down the toilet and ruining any concept of a TEAM: (a) moron trade for a useless QB in Willy - giving up Heath AND a 1st round draft pick + another pick; b) desperation, scape-goat job in releasing 3, no, 4, former starting receivers at one time (maybe unprecedented in CFL history) - made the team a total joke - to the fans, media and i'll guess a lot of the players. Barker and his clown Millanovich should have been fired by the end of the putrid season = not in the play-offs.

TJ Heath might be starting for this current Argo team - not sure there with Chamblin - figure he's as good as Ansah or Harris now ? And 2 draft picks are building blocks for the future - might have added another Chris Schultz and Kevin Eiben. Call me more a fan of building a team, not flushing teams and seasons down the toilet. Sorry bout that though to the anything the Argos do dare not be questioned apologists. Hey what Barker & Scotty did there was in the past anyhow - maybe they should have been given life-long extensions.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Let's keep it civil and not turn this into a "I told you so" thread.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Kind of fitting that TJ Heath's interception of Ray in the final minute of the game ended any hope for a comeback. Pretty well sums it up for how bad this trade turned out. Like the turkey in the oven, it's done so let's move on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Let's keep it civil and not turn this into a "I told you so" thread.

It is worth mentioning that every time I see this Heath guy play, he is a difference maker. He is a game changer. We most certainly DO have room for these types.
    All teams need them, and I think the Argos could use one more guy like this back there. It would make a difference, as Heath does almost everytime he plays this game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The gift that keeps on giving.
    GO ARGOS!!!