Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm going to wait and see how things go the rest of the year before jumping off a building. Not a huge fan of the trade, but they definitely needed an insurance policy and everyone knew it. Personally, I would have traded Hazelton instead.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    There was speculation in the media here a few days ago that Ray could be pulling the pin after this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    There was speculation in the media here a few days ago that Ray could be pulling the pin after this season.
    Ray strikes me as a very intelligent well thought out person which makes this scenario highly likely IMO.
    Wonder if he'd like to pursue coaching?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Ray strikes me as a very intelligent well thought out person which makes this scenario highly likely IMO.
    Wonder if he'd like to pursue coaching?
    I would hope so. The league is a lot better with people like him in it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Ugh, seems like an awful trade. Must be something going on behind the scenes for Barker to think this is a good idea.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm going to wait and see how things go the rest of the year before jumping off a building. Not a huge fan of the trade, but they definitely needed an insurance policy and everyone knew it. Personally, I would have traded Hazelton instead.
    My first response to this trade isn't a positive one but I too will wait and see how things develop for the rest of this season. I felt pretty damn good after today's win too and I absolutely hate seeing Heath being moved but if Willy can develop into the QB that everyone thought he would be a couple of years ago, the Argos will have secured an incredible asset.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Shocking, even if Heath didn't have the monster game he played tonight. Why give up so much for a player who has lost his starting job? A team that didn't start winning until he stopped playing.

Boatman
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I was happy enough with his game to think we wouldn't have to press the panic button and overpay for Drew Willy. Feels like we're mortgaging the future for no reason--unless Barker feels like his job is in jeopardy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    I was happy enough with his game to think we wouldn't have to press the panic button and overpay for Drew Willy. Feels like we're mortgaging the future for no reason--unless Barker feels like his job is in jeopardy.
    Pretty obvious to me that Ricky Ray is going to retire after this season, so there is nothing wrong with bringing in another experienced QB for insurance and to compete for next year.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Pretty obvious to me that Ricky Ray is going to retire after this season, so there is nothing wrong with bringing in another experienced QB for insurance and to compete for next year.
    Not that I think this rationalizes or validates trade in any stretch, but that Bolles guy was dressed as #3 tonight IIRC. Hardly an ideal scenario.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I am also thrilled that the Argos didn't trade for Kevin Glenn.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    If they could have got him for a 5th round pick as an insurance policy, I would have done that first. I don't have a problem with Willy, but it might turn out to be a steep price. I hate parting with the #1 pick more than I do with Heath to be honest, because Mitchell looked good today, and I also like Rankin.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If they could have got him for a 5th round pick as an insurance policy, I would have done that first. I don't have a problem with Willy, but it might turn out to be a steep price. I hate parting with the #1 pick more than I do with Heath to be honest, because Mitchell looked good today, and I also like Rankin.
    Pretty high price for Willy, hate seeing a playmaking DB leave town considering how they have struggled with their secondary in the last 2-3 years.
    Perhaps a day or two may soften our perspective on this trade.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Pretty high price for Willy, hate seeing a playmaking DB leave town considering how they have struggled with their secondary in the last 2-3 years.
    Perhaps a day or two may soften our perspective on this trade.
    I'm really not too upset about losing Heath. I think Mitchell is better than him, and they also have Berry returning shortly. The only reservation I have is the first round pick. If Willy can regain his confidence, he is a really good QB. If not, hopefully they can regain that draft pick somewhere along the way.

I think the 2 picks Heath made yesterday is really making people believe that he is better than he is. It's not like he really made plays on the ball to make those picks. They were both tipped in from of him and just fell into his hands. Nothing extraordinary about that. Johnny on the spot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I'm really not too upset about losing Heath. I think Mitchell is better than him, and they also have Berry returning shortly. The only reservation I have is the first round pick. If Willy can regain his confidence, he is a really good QB. If not, hopefully they can regain that draft pick somewhere along the way.

I think the 2 picks Heath made yesterday is really making people believe that he is better than he is. It's not like he really made plays on the ball to make those picks. They were both tipped in from of him and just fell into his hands. Nothing extraordinary about that. Johnny on the spot.
    If you can get a potential starting QB - and Milanovich believes he can bring the best out of Willy and has a good track record developing QBs - is a first round draft pick too steep a price? I would say no. Willy was beat up badly behind that terrible Winnipeg o-line in 2014 and 2015 and subsequently lost his confidence. Milanovich feels that he can help Willy get that confidence back and I would give him the benefit of the doubt on that given how well he has worked with QBs in the past.

Regarding Heath, the Argos have other DBs that are now getting healthy whom they probably like at least as much in Mitchell, Rankin and Berry. As Paul noted, Heath is 29 which is not young for a DB. I know that some will point out that Willy is also 29 but that usually means heading into your prime for a QB. Remember that Trevor Harris is 31.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Level

i totally agree with you, mostly with losing the draft pick...i think people are more shocked that arguably the best defender on the field last night is traded within minutes after the game...if heath didnt do anything at all tonight, would anyone even bat an eye? i doubt it

i still have hope as i always think back to the cory boyd release...leagues leading rusher is released...and we win the grey cup that year!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Yah the number 1 pick bothers me the most to. Reminds me of the good old days, giving up the #1 draft pick for those star QB's Lemon and Bishop.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I wouldn't have found Glenn to be an ideal solution either, but it isn't like Drew Willy is either (especially at that price).
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I wouldn't have found Glenn to be an ideal solution either, but it isn't like Drew Willy is either (especially at that price).
    It comes down to what are the Argos' expectations for Willy? I think that Barker and Milanovich see him as an ideal fit for their offensive system and a potential starter in the not-too-distant future. Glenn probably would not be as good of a fit, especially with his penchant for bad interceptions.

The key for Willy is if he can get over his "gun-shyness" which seems to have developed while taking a pounding in Winnipeg the last couple of years. If he can, he could still develop into an elite QB but I will concede that is a big "if".

I didn't necessarily think that the Argos, despite the rumours, needed to trade for a veteran QB. The three that were rumoured were Durant, Willy and Glenn. Out of those three, Durant would have been my top pick with Willy at #2 and Glenn a distant #3. It could be that Barker felt some additional pressure to bring another veteran QB in with Toronto hosting the Grey Cup this year.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    It does look pretty bad, but Barker's trade history (i.e. near 100% success) makes me think that there's probably more to this than we realize right now - perhaps Winnipeg is picking up part of Willy's salary, for example.