Thread: Drew Willy

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Drew Willy

I thought that we should have a Thread to discuss Drew Willy as a QB (not the trade itself). I'd appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on him.

Here is his background from Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Willy

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Not much to discuss IMO, that we don't already know. Journeyman backup stay at home type QB who will get plastered sooner or later and be on the 6 game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Not much to discuss IMO, that we don't already know. Journeyman backup stay at home type QB who will get plastered sooner or later and be on the 6 game.
    Yeah actually there's a lot more to discuss than that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post

Pretty well nailed it, but maybe being a bit kind.

QB who sometimes puts up some decent passing stats in standard, simpleton short pass CFL offence mode, but who consistently misses deeper throws due to just not an accurate enough arm, plus who has limited mobility / no making 1st downs or decent gainers with his running capability, and who has shown he cannot consistently come up big/smart to win games in this league (with lots of opportunity).

Great QB acquisition though - has some experience (hey, what happened to MacPherson?)

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm more concerned with his poor technique, especially because it doesn't work. It would be a different story if he had success. So many times I saw Willy this season throw short on a little out or to the RB on a swing pass or screen pass. He's still "young" though and can get it figured out.

Walters said he couldn't handle Winnipeg media, here's hoping Frank Z doesn't rip him too much.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Lawless: Argos have had eye on Willy for a long time

How and when did Drew Willy become available to the Argonauts? How long has Toronto coveted the Bombers' quarterback? CFL Insider Gary Lawless breaks down the trade and explains why Winnipeg pulled the trigger on two QB deals.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Walters said he couldn't handle Winnipeg media
    Who can? They're idiots. The red headed step child Paul Friesen is quite likely the worst excuse of someone able to call himself a writer. This POS was still putting the boot into Mike Kelly a year after he was gone. I don't know why the Winnipeg populace would put up with this untalented clown.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argoknot View Post
    Who can? They're idiots. The red headed step child Paul Friesen is quite likely the worst excuse of someone able to call himself a writer. This POS was still putting the boot into Mike Kelly a year after he was gone. I don't know why the Winnipeg populace would put up with this untalented clown.
    No kidding. People should take a look at what Paul Wiecek (SP?) of the free press wrote about O'Shea after their 1-4 start. It was absolutely ridiculous the shots he took not just at O'Shea's coaching, but basically him personally. It is ridiculous. Winnipeg has a reputation for having quite a nasty bunch of fans, not only for football, but perhaps even worse for hockey. I guess they get their cue from writers like Wiecek.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    The media heat was all over Mike O'SHEA calling for his head. They just reeled off 6 in a row after making a controversial QB change. The same media do not seem to be singing O'SHEA ' praises now. Too bad because he deserves it.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Does anyone remember how well Willy played when he first got to Winnipeg in 2014? He even marched them down the field in the final minute to win two road games in Montreal and Hamilton early that season. There is no doubt in my mind that Willy can play and succeed but the guy played behind a swiss cheese o-line in 2014 and 2015 and came back tentative this year as a result. Some fans don't like that he isn't that mobile. Well, Ricky Ray isn't that mobile but has put up a Hall of Fame career for 14 years in this league. It comes down to Milanovich and Brady designing a gameplan to fit the QB's talents which they have shown to be quite proficient at over the years.

In the immediate afterglow of yesterday's big win, I wasn't necessarily that enthusiastic about this trade. However, given more time to digest it, I really don't think it is a bad one at all. The most important position in Canadian football is QB and the Argos have just acquired one that was considered to be, arguably, the hottest young QB in the league only two short years ago. He will get the best coaching in Toronto that he has ever received so if he is ever going to attain his potential, it will happen as an Argo.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    No kidding. People should take a look at what Paul Wiecek (SP?) of the free press wrote about O'Shea after their 1-4 start. It was absolutely ridiculous the shots he took not just at O'Shea's coaching, but basically him personally. It is ridiculous.
    And that's the part that gets me. So ironically, considering my insulting post above I feel free reign to go after these guys because they go after guys who realistically aren't in the position to defend themselves. And they do make it personal, Friesen was so bad he's mentioned in one of those Hitler videos.

This cracks me up

Last edited by Argoknot; 09-12-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    In the immediate afterglow of yesterday's big win, I wasn't necessarily that enthusiastic about this trade. However, given more time to digest it, I really don't think it is a bad one at all. The most important position in Canadian football is QB and the Argos have just acquired one that was considered to be, arguably, the hottest young QB in the league only two short years ago. He will get the best coaching in Toronto that he has ever received so if he is ever going to attain his potential, it will happen as an Argo.
    You got it, bro. DBs are a dime a dozen, don't like the draft picks but Willy is just one step from playing with the big boys. Let it be LeFevours team if he continues to do well but come training camp, she's a whole new ball game and besides every team needs two legit experienced QBs. I was worried about T.O. because I think Ray is finished but I'd be more worried about Wpg after this year, don't know how long Glenn will be around and if Nichols really is the real thing beyond one great year (so far)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Does anyone remember how well Willy played when he first got to Winnipeg in 2014? He even marched them down the field in the final minute to win two road games in Montreal and Hamilton early that season. There is no doubt in my mind that Willy can play and succeed but the guy played behind a swiss cheese o-line in 2014 and 2015 and came back tentative this year as a result. Some fans don't like that he isn't that mobile. Well, Ricky Ray isn't that mobile but has put up a Hall of Fame career for 14 years in this league. It comes down to Milanovich and Brady designing a gameplan to fit the QB's talents which they have shown to be quite proficient at over the years.

Ray isn't mobile, obviously, but he's proven that he has a great deal of talent, obviously.

I'm quite happy to argue (should anyone believe differently) that mobility is an attribute that a QB - particularly a CFL QB - is better off possessing. Flutie, Holloway, Durant, Dunigan, etc. were all capable inside or outside of the pocket; further, mobility equals escapability... it's all good.

I'm still not a fan of this transaction and if DW is anointed the starting QB instead of having the prove he's the best option of all the Argonauts' QBs then so much the worse.
    Last edited by Argo; 09-12-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    You got it, bro. DBs are a dime a dozen, don't like the draft picks but Willy is just one step from playing with the big boys. Let it be LeFevours team if he continues to do well but come training camp, she's a whole new ball game and besides every team needs two legit experienced QBs. I was worried about T.O. because I think Ray is finished but I'd be more worried about Wpg after this year, don't know how long Glenn will be around and if Nichols really is the real thing beyond one great year (so far)
    If DBs (you mean high-quality DBs I take it) are a dime a dozen, Barker must have been, much more often than not, short of funds these many, many months.

Pro football is, by and large, "What have you done for me lately?". If LeFevour keeps playing well and leads the team to the standard of success to which Milanovich should be accountable for this season, then the job should be DL's to lose next season. Short of this, there needs to be wide open competition from the get-go amongst the QBs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I was surprised the Bombers went after Glenn. I thought by trading Willy, they were committing to Dominque Davis as the back up for now and future down the line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    If DBs (you mean high-quality DBs I take it) are a dime a dozen, Barker must be short of funds these many, many months.

Pro football is, by and large, "What have you done for me lately?". If LeFevour keeps playing well and leads the team to the standard of success to which Milanovich should be accountable for this season, then the job should be DL's to lose next season. Short of this, there needs to be wide open competition from the get-go amongst the QBs.
    I think you are looking way to far ahead here. This trade was made for insurance only. If Lefevour keeps playing like he did, and more importantly if the Argos keep winning, there is no way Willy will start this season. With the big contract not kicking in until next season, there is no guarantee he will ever see that contract. Should DL shine, I guarantee the Argos would approach Willy for a restructured contract based in starts, and he would have little choice but to accept it or get cut. No team will pay him that contract at this point for next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I was surprised the Bombers went after Glenn. I thought by trading Willy, they were committing to Dominque Davis as the back up for now and future down the line.
    Davis is an intriguing prospect (I think, based on not too much info and "film"). Glenn is very likely viewed as a short-term component.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I think you are looking way to far ahead here. This trade was made for insurance only. If Lefevour keeps playing like he did, and more importantly if the Argos keep winning, there is no way Willy will start this season. With the big contract not kicking in until next season, there is no guarantee he will ever see that contract. Should DL shine, I guarantee the Argos would approach Willy for a restructured contract based in starts, and he would have little choice but to accept it or get cut. No team will pay him that contract at this point for next year.
    Yes, I see what you mean.

In reference to another comment you made - to paraphrase ' for in-season insurance "better Glenn on the cheap" ' - I agree and suspect Popp would have dealt with Barker, all things considered.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yah but there's that little detail called a 1st round draft pick, probably 3rd in the first round after Saskatchewan and Montreal. Barker would look really bad cutting Willy next year if he wouldn't take a pay cut.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Ravi, I like your loyalty to Jim and Scott, but comparing Willy to Ricky Ray because they're both not mobile????? There are few QB's in football that have the God given touch on a deep ball that Ricky has. Definitely none in this League. Drew Willy is probably a very nice young man and I hope he has success with the Argos (something like 30 TDs a season would be good) but you know the old saying about Chicken Feathers.