Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Willy

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    LeFevour was more successful but I feel like his scramble angle game his a limited potential. That being said, Willy didn't show me much. I found that when I watched him, he looked scared. Seems like he spent most of his time looking for who's gunna hit him next vs. looking down field for options.

I say bring him into camp and push him, use him to push others, see if he can show some of the potential he had before. If not then get rid of him. But for now, no better options are on the horizons, the focus needs to be on bringing as many QB's into camp as we can and making them earn everything. No projected starter, just competition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Fair enough. I think that it was and it was similar to the chance that LeFevour got and LeFevour was more successful than Willy IMO.
    Lefevour was also with the team longer before getting into action than Willy was.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Also CFL contracts are not guaranteed.
    My thoughts exactly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think the importance of talent, and the process, as the Patriots proved earlier this year, can't be understated. Who we surround next year's QB and what we ask them to do is more important than who is taking the reps at QB. I hope that both of these issues are addressed before training camp. If not, it isn't fair on whomever is asked to lead this team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Lefevour was also with the team longer before getting into action than Willy was.
    Marginally longer. And he looked a lot more than marginally better than Willy.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    So, Drew Willy is now the next Anthony Calvillo........................... I thought I'd heard everything.
    Anthony Calvillo was in a similar fragile state when he left Hamilton for Montreal after the 1997 season. That's where any similarities (for now) should start and end.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Had the Argos elected to ride out the storm with LeFevour and Kilgore, the season may have ended up the same, but it seems the trade took away momentum from that September 11 win. Thing is this team lost a play making DB and what turned out to be the #1 overall pick...a high price for Willy.
    And to be fair to Willy, he also entered into a room where the Coach had lost his team. Turmoil. Rookie receivers.

On the other hand, this guy has had a #1 job handed to him before. The results are in. Three seasons; he never got his team into the Playoffs, and he lost his job.

So, again, SM and JB seem to know better than everyone else.

That'll catch up with you sooner or later. If they are staying, they'll need results cos there is no way this team doesn't put them on probation. Tough spot there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    And to be fair to Willy, he also entered into a room where the Coach had lost his team. Turmoil. Rookie receivers.

On the other hand, this guy has had a #1 job handed to him before. The results are in. Three seasons; he never got his team into the Playoffs, and he lost his job.

So, again, SM and JB seem to know better than everyone else.

That'll catch up with you sooner or later. If they are staying, they'll need results cos there is no way this team doesn't put them on probation. Tough spot there.
    My biggest concern is that even when he was given enough time and protection he couldn't seem to throw a catchable ball. At least LeFevour is mobile.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Marginally longer. And he looked a lot more than marginally better than Willy.
    The game they both played in Ottawa, Willy looked considerably better than Lefevour. Lefevour was awful in the first half of that game. Similar to Kilgore, once Lefevour started throwing picks (as he did against Winnipeg in the 2nd half the week before), he really struggled.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisToronto View Post
    LeFevour was more successful but I feel like his scramble angle game his a limited potential. That being said, Willy didn't show me much. I found that when I watched him, he looked scared. Seems like he spent most of his time looking for who's gunna hit him next vs. looking down field for options.

I say bring him into camp and push him, use him to push others, see if he can show some of the potential he had before. If not then get rid of him. But for now, no better options are on the horizons, the focus needs to be on bringing as many QB's into camp as we can and making them earn everything. No projected starter, just competition.
    I agree. LeFevour was more successful, but then showed a troubling pattern of inconsistency in his throws, which I think was the knock against him all along. If the team had not been as desperate, they might have left him in, but instead they put Willy in, and we all know how that turned out. Training camp will be the place where he either puts up and earns it, or like you say he is shown the door. The best thing the Argos can do is have lots of competition for that starting job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The game they both played in Ottawa, Willy looked considerably better than Lefevour. Lefevour was awful in the first half of that game. Similar to Kilgore, once Lefevour started throwing picks (as he did against Winnipeg in the 2nd half the week before), he really struggled.

I was in attendance in the stands at that game and I disagree. LeFevour did not do much the 1st half as Ottawa was sitting back in coverage plus getting a bit of decent pass pressure, and the Argos' usual offensive "brain-trust" had no answers - like bang a run game including some planned runs by a big mobile QB. Instead - they gave LeFevour the early hook and went with their boy Willy - who was his usual self - completes some short passes, makes a few nice throws, but is woefully inaccurate at passing well down the field or in making key throws for needed yardage. Willy just does not have even a decent pro passing arm - inaccurate, poor decision making - making the same knock against Lefevour, who at least has some good QB running & scrambling ability while believing Willy can run a CFL all pass offence, I find totally laughable. Or maybe more like hilarious.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I think the importance of talent, and the process, as the Patriots proved earlier this year, can't be understated. Who we surround next year's QB and what we ask them to do is more important than who is taking the reps at QB. I hope that both of these issues are addressed before training camp. If not, it isn't fair on whomever is asked to lead this team.
    Yes.... we need to develop a much stronger O-line that will provide that extra time so that the pass routes have time to develop. And we have to have the receivers who can run those routes. A legitimate deep threat would also be a great addition. Without that strong supporting cast, who is lining up behind center becomes less and less material.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    You think so? I thought that they looked equally bad, but again at least LeFevour can run/scramble. To be honest I'm not sure that Willy throws much better than Lefevour does.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    You think so? I thought that they looked equally bad, but again at least LeFevour can run/scramble. To be honest I'm not sure that Willy throws much better than Lefevour does.
    Not even close.

Willy pushed the ball down field in that game, and actually led them to a TD, to bring them relatively close until Ottawa added a late TD to extend the lead. IMO, after this loss, the team basically quit, therefore, hard to really make a comparison of the 2.

Willy: 16/24 for 153, 1 TD, 0 INT's
    Lefevour: 13/19 for 72, 0 TD, 1 pick.

And Willy throws way better than Lefevour.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I was in attendance in the stands at that game and I disagree. LeFevour did not do much the 1st half as Ottawa was sitting back in coverage plus getting a bit of decent pass pressure, and the Argos' usual offensive "brain-trust" had no answers - like bang a run game including some planned runs by a big mobile QB. Instead - they gave LeFevour the early hook and went with their boy Willy - who was his usual self - completes some short passes, makes a few nice throws, but is woefully inaccurate at passing well down the field or in making key throws for needed yardage. Willy just does not have even a decent pro passing arm - inaccurate, poor decision making - making the same knock against Lefevour, who at least has some good QB running & scrambling ability while believing Willy can run a CFL all pass offence, I find totally laughable. Or maybe more like hilarious.

OV, I'm not going to say Willy was good last year, but I think you have pre-determined your response to that game based on how you feel about Willy. Willy was just under 10 yards a completion and threw for more than double the amount of yards in his half than Lefevour did. Would have put up more points, but Argos were gambling on 3rd down rather than kicking FG's at the end.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think bad teams can make QBs look bad. Conversely, good teams can make the same QBs look good. I can still remember the criticism for Terry Bradshaw in Pittsburgh 1972. Fortunately for Bradshaw, the Steelers and Steeler fans - the rest of the coaching, talent and system got great just in time. The rest is history. I remember those days well as a young football player watching both the wonderfully eccentric Argos and the Steel Curtain (thoroughly loving their wins over America's Team Cowboys). Maybe my most intense time being a player and fan of 2 great teams.

It's pretty clear that player professional success has much to do with timing and luck.

"Bradshaw became a starter in his second season after splitting time with Terry Hanratty in his rookie campaign. During his first few seasons, the 6'3", 215-pound quarterback was erratic, threw many interceptions (he threw 210 interceptions over the course of his career) and was widely ridiculed by the media for his rural roots and perceived lack of intelligence." It took Bradshaw several seasons to adjust to the NFL, but he eventually led the Pittsburgh Steelers to eight AFC Central championships and four Super Bowl titles. WIKIPEDIA

Don't get me wrong, I am not drawing any links between DW and TB, but we have DW and he'll have his chance to show he can play or go. We paid the price for him, it makes no sense not to see the experiment to the end.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Not even close.

Willy pushed the ball down field in that game, and actually led them to a TD, to bring them relatively close until Ottawa added a late TD to extend the lead. IMO, after this loss, the team basically quit, therefore, hard to really make a comparison of the 2.

Nope - sorry.

\ Lefevour throws as well or better than wimpy Willy; their career CFL completion percentages are around the same (Lefevour's slightly better); Willy just plain misses wayyyyyy too many throws - inaccurate and off the mark often. I get that something about Lefevour's passing arm has been a knock against him (maybe the good old "mechanics" that some QB experts love to site), but unless he starts completing under 50% or throwing way more picks than TDs or just plain throws lots of ducks or wobblers, then I don't get - at all - the Willy has the better arm argument = he just doesn't - not in terms of arm strength or velocity and certainly not in terms of accuracy; and if some sort of anecdotal evidence means anything - I've seen Willy miss wayyyyyyyyyy more open receivers or make more bad throws than Lefevour has in the CFL (granted in more opportunity).

Neither QB has a gun for an arm or is a great accurate or touch passer (see Ricky Ray) - IMO; so let's not pretend either do/is and is going to be capable of effectively running a Millanovich pop-gun, short pass or check-down all-pass offfence. It's ridiculous to believe Willy can with that poor of a passing arm. A smart offensive coach could at least game-plan and play-call for a big mobile QB like Lefevour though - even as just a chance of pace QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    ... he'll have his chance to show he can play or go. We paid the price for him, it makes no sense not to see the experiment to the end.
    Precisely. He's one of two experienced QBs on the roster. It would be nuts not to keep him until he can be evaluated through training camp, unless a clearly better (and as affordable) experienced QB becomes available.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Not even close.

So 66.6% and 1 TD for Willy and 68.4% and 1 INT for LeFevour. That looks pretty close to me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post

I was at that game (and just about froze) but it looked like LeFevour had the run offence taken out of his game. Ottawa had a pretty good defense in 2016 but weren't a complete shut down unit IMO. LeFevour's strength as a QB has to have the threat of him running occasionally to improve the pass game, but the Argo offense wasn't designed for that IMO. It seems Milanovich copies the New England and Tom Brady offense for Ricky Ray. Get rid of the ball quickly with short passes. LeFevour wasn't that type of QB so needed a different approach IMO.
    If they go with Ray and Willy with the same New England offense in 2017, Ray can be successful if he has the right parts around him. Not so sure about Willy, he holds unto the ball too long very often, which kind of negates that kind of offense. Maybe Milanovich thinks he can make Willy into a 2 second release QB. I'm not so sure, as old habits are hard to break, especially when the pass rush gets dialed up.