Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I know that many are down on Willy right now but how did everyone feel about Matt Nichols a year ago? He was another one who looked tentative after coming off a couple of injury-plagued seasons. However, he has regained his confidence and looks quite competent now. Why can't the same happen for Willy with a change of scenery?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Yah but there's that little detail called a 1st round draft pick, probably 3rd in the first round after Saskatchewan and Montreal. Barker would look really bad cutting Willy next year if he wouldn't take a pay cut.
    The GM gave the HC the QB he wanted. The success or failure of DW will certainly have a big impact upon the status of his sponsors.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    The success or failure of DW will certainly have a big impact upon the status of his sponsors.
    What does this mean?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    What does this mean?
    Milo and Barker are his sponsors. More Milo in this case as he told Barker who he wanted him to get.

IMO some are maybe missing another piece of this puzzle. If Milo has been after Willy for as long as is being reported ... then there's another reason they let the older Harris walk.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Second and Longterm
    Chris O'Leary
    The Star

Drew Willy sat down in his home in Winnipeg on Sunday to watch the Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats on TV.
    It wasn’t much different than the role he’d had with the Blue Bombers for the last month-and-a-half. His team was 1-4 when Willy lost the starting quarterback job to Matt Nichols. Since then, he had watched from the sidelines as the Bombers ran off six consecutive wins.
    As he watched the game, Willy heard a knock at his door. Mike O’Shea, his coach, was there in person to deliver some good news and some bad news.
    “There were some emotions,” said Willy, who after 2-1/2 seasons with the Bombers was dealt to the Argos for defensive back T.J. Heath, a first-round pick in the 2017 Canadian draft and a third-rounder in 2018.
    “I’ve been through a lot with coach O’Shea and I think so highly of him,” Willy said.
    The trade wasn’t what he envisioned when he signed a new contract with the Bombers in 2015, but his early morning flight on Monday brought with it some much-needed opportunity. Ricky Ray is still out another three to five weeks with a rib and lung injury and, while Dan LeFevour will get the start on Saturday against the Bombers in Winnipeg, it sounds like Willy will get a shot at that job in the coming weeks.
    “(Ray) broke a rib and had a collapsed lung. We expect him to be back by the end of the year but we’re playing to win a Grey Cup every year,” Argos GM Jim Barker said. “And we believe Drew Willy has the things that it takes, long term. We brought Dan LeFevour in here a month ago and he’s done a great job and right now he’s the starting guy.”
    LeFevour completed 27 of 36 passes for 329 yards in the win and Milanovich was very impressed with what he did.
    “I don’t know if people realize what he did and how difficult that is to do, having zero reps going into the week, having thrown with our receivers very little. I thought he was fantastic,” Milanovich said.
    “But you’ve got to have a quarterback at this level. Ricky’s health situation has been difficult and we need to make sure we have more than one guy that can lead this football team and give us a chance to take it where we want to go.”
    Ray’s health has been an issue in three of the last four seasons. In years past, the Argos were helped by solid play from young backup quarterbacks Zach Collaros and Trevor Harris, but they moved on as free agents to Hamilton and Ottawa, respectively.
    The Argos haven’t been as fortunate with their backups lately.
    They traded Mitchell Gale to Saskatchewan early in the season for defensive end Shawn Lemon. They’ve signed and released Adrian McPherson twice. Logan Kilgore played well in his first start after Ray injured his knee earlier this season but ended up throwing nine interceptions to two touchdowns while going 1-2.
    Barker said there were no regrets on moves made in the past.
    “Those guys developed and they moved forward. Ricky Ray won the MVP playing in, what, 10 games in 2013? We weren’t ready to anoint Zach the starter at that time,” Barker said. “We offered him a good contract but he opted to go elsewhere.
    “Then with Trevor . . . we offered him a contract and he wanted to do something else. That’s the way it goes. We’re kind of back at that developmental stage now where we have to get that point where we can do that again. It’s gone a full cycle.”
    A team never wants to cycle through quarterbacks mid-season. LeFevour was a gamble that’s paid off so far and the Argos are hoping that Willy can come in and do the same.
    “I see Drew as a bona fide starter, an upper-tier starter,” Milanovich said. “I have no doubts he can play. I think we’re in a pretty good spot right now as far as quarterbacks. We have some guys that can win games.”

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Here is what I want to know:

You know that part of the reason that Drew Willy failed in Winnipeg was that he was playing behind a poor offensive line. So why would you trade for him and plug him in behind an offensive line that isn't very good in Toronto and expect anything to change? If there is any hope of Willy being salvaged then putting a solid 5 in front of him is a definite pre-requisite. Whether or not the patience exists for that depends on what happens to Barker and Milanovich at the end of the season.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Here is what I want to know:

You know that part of the reason that Drew Willy failed in Winnipeg was that he was playing behind a poor offensive line. So why would you trade for him and plug him in behind an offensive line that isn't very good in Toronto and expect anything to change? If there is any hope of Willy being salvaged then putting a solid 5 in front of him is a definite pre-requisite. Whether or not the patience exists for that depends on what happens to Barker and Milanovich at the end of the season.
    Nailed it, first thing I thought of when the trade was made. Our oline and Winnipeg's oline at the beginning of the season are/were playing the same. How exactly is a clearly shell shocked Drew Willy suppose to improve here behind our offensive line ?

What makes even less sense is why trade for Willy in the first place ? There was zero chance that Winnipeg was going to pay him the $100k bonus in January, so Barker and Milanovich could have got Willy for a cheaper contract (going up next season) and wouldn't have had to trade any assets away.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think that I found a new picture of him:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Nailed it, first thing I thought of when the trade was made. Our oline and Winnipeg's oline at the beginning of the season are/were playing the same. How exactly is a clearly shell shocked Drew Willy suppose to improve here behind our offensive line ?

What makes even less sense is why trade for Willy in the first place ? There was zero chance that Winnipeg was going to pay him the $100k bonus in January, so Barker and Milanovich could have got Willy for a cheaper contract (going up next season) and wouldn't have had to trade any assets away.

On top of the further stupidity, Barker could have offered to the BB (who as it turns out took Gurley)any of the 4 receivers eventually cut and the trade could have been one for one without giving up Heath and the two picks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    On top of the further stupidity, Barker could have offered to the BB (who as it turns out took Gurley)any of the 4 receivers eventually cut and the trade could have been one for one without giving up Heath and the two picks.
    I don't think the Bombers would have made that trade, but you never know.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level

I think it's pretty clear that JB and SM believed that with LeFevour and Kilgore, there was no chance of playoffs. They weren't willing to throw the season away at that point, and thought Willy might be the answer. The fact SM clearly likes the guy made it easy to make the move. I know a lot of Argo fans thought LeFevour was the answer, but clearly JB/SM did not agree. (Nor did I, but my opinion on that is irrelevant -- the question you asked is why did JB/SM make the move.)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    IIRC, Gary lawless brought up well before the trade that Walters wanted at minimum a first round pick. I have no idea if one of the big three were offered up, who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I think it's pretty clear that JB and SM believed that with LeFevour and Kilgore, there was no chance of playoffs. They weren't willing to throw the season away at that point, and thought Willy might be the answer. The fact SM clearly likes the guy made it easy to make the move. I know a lot of Argo fans thought LeFevour was the answer, but clearly JB/SM did not agree. (Nor did I, but my opinion on that is irrelevant -- the question you asked is why did JB/SM make the move.)
    I agree, LeFevour isn't the answer, a QB has to be able to throw from the pocket eventually.
    I understand the Willy trade was a desperation move, but to make the trade when Willy would have been available later on is just nuts IMO. I really do question the idea/logic behind the move.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I understand the Willy trade was a desperation move, but to make the trade when Willy would have been available later on is just nuts IMO. I really do question the idea/logic behind the move.
    Waiting until he became available would have meant missing any chance of getting to the Grey Cup, and I assume they were under a mandate (possibly self-imposed, but more likely from above) to try to do that this year. It's pretty logical if you are trying to win this year that you don't wait until next year to do the one thing you think can help you win this year.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    On the Argonauts, late 2016 edition, LeFevour was more the answer than Willy is. I know SM and JB don't agree: that's their problem, of which they have many.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    On the Argonauts, late 2016 edition, LeFevour was more the answer than Willy is. I know SM and JB don't agree: that's their problem, of which they have many.
    Personally, I would have stuck with Lefevour, but I'm also of the opinion that they gave up much too early on Kilgore. I think after sitting out 2 games, as he did after Ray's return, he would have been a much better QB coming back this time. If the Argos are officially eliminated, I would hope Kilgore would start any remaining games.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Personally, I would have stuck with Lefevour, but I'm also of the opinion that they gave up much too early on Kilgore. I think after sitting out 2 games, as he did after Ray's return, he would have been a much better QB coming back this time. If the Argos are officially eliminated, I would hope Kilgore would start any remaining games.
    I'm with you on that. The second game Lefevour started they took away a lot of his roll outs and counter plays with Whitaker. Thought they would cross the enemy up I guess. But it took away from Lefevour what he does best.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I know that many are down on Willy right now but how did everyone feel about Matt Nichols a year ago? He was another one who looked tentative after coming off a couple of injury-plagued seasons. However, he has regained his confidence and looks quite competent now. Why can't the same happen for Willy with a change of scenery?
    Matt Nichols only cost the Bombers a 7th round draft pick. Small price to pay,unlike Willy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree with you. I have a hunch that Barker and SM panicked because 2016 unravelled so quickly on them and the Grey Cup was still a possibility for an Eastern team. They made a very high risk move, going for Willy. They must've known Ricky Ray was done for good, too.

Should've stuck with Lefeveour and Kilgore. I am surprised that there is no sign of Fajardo returning. He showed some glimmer of talent and wasn't afraid to take off when the heat was on. I'd like to see him I future.

I sure hope we don't have to spend the rest of the season watching an awful Drew Willy, then cut him in January. It would ensure that 2016 was a total waste of a year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Agree again.
    Giving up quickly on Kilgore may have an irreversible affect on his psyche. Not to say he was the answer but we will never know.
    As for Dan, again pulled him way too early after making the Willy trade.
    For me he has a much better upside than Willy but now is unlikely to see the field again save and except the odd third down gamble.
    Since we are out of the playoffs, I would but again it won't happen with stubborn Scotty, give each of the 3 to start and play one entire game.
    With the evaluation and their future depending on the performance.
    Last edited by argotom; 10-12-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Totally agree Angelo, this season is lost so the remaining games should be used to evaluate the young talent they have and also provide much needed experience in regular season games.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions