Thread: Drew Willy

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Personally, I would have stuck with Lefevour, but I'm also of the opinion that they gave up much too early on Kilgore. I think after sitting out 2 games, as he did after Ray's return, he would have been a much better QB coming back this time. If the Argos are officially eliminated, I would hope Kilgore would start any remaining games.
    Terrible trading for Willy in-season (and paying so damn much to boot), but now that he's here and the Argos going nowhere, I would prefer that Willy not play.

It's likely that his playing out the string of this horrible season is not going to do anyone any good, especially him.

I'd rather he be given a fair kick at the can next season - if he earns his place in the preseason - with the best offensive line that can be assembled.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I'm with you on that. The second game Lefevour started they took away a lot of his roll outs and counter plays with Whitaker. Thought they would cross the enemy up I guess. But it took away from Lefevour what he does best.
    If you are talking about the Ottawa game, it was the RedBlacks who took that away. Any CFL defensive coordinator knows that you have to make LeFevour a pocket passer. If you do that, you will likely win.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    If you are talking about the Ottawa game, it was the RedBlacks who took that away. Any CFL defensive coordinator knows that you have to make LeFevour a pocket passer. If you do that, you will likely win.
    Yes I know that, the old defense against a roll out QB. I was there. But there was no adjustment from the Argos. They just abandoned anything that had worked against Hamilton like faking a roll out and have Whitaker run on a cut back. Maybe it all comes down to the O-Line not being able to block.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Willy looked terrible tonight. Even when he was given plenty of time he couldn't even throw a catchable ball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Willy looked terrible tonight. Even when he was given plenty of time he couldn't even throw a catchable ball.
    Yep - just not a good enough arm - horrid at throws more than 10 yards down field.

Barker & Millanovich must think differently though.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    On top of the further stupidity, Barker could have offered to the BB (who as it turns out took Gurley)any of the 4 receivers eventually cut and the trade could have been one for one without giving up Heath and the two picks.
    Athe this point Gurley hadn't done what happens after the Montreal game so ...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by herrington2828 View Post
    Athe this point Gurley hadn't done what happens after the Montreal game so ...
    But SM said it wasn't just one thing so........what was it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    But SM said it wasn't just one thing so........what was it.
    Milanovich and Barker won't trash these guys publicly. It would be the easiest thing for them to do but they refuse to do it.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Kirk Penton ‪@PentonKirk‬ has just tweeted:

I'm told the #Argos and QB Drew Willy agreed to terms on a new deal two weeks ago. #Bombers

He'll make more than 300K as the starter, plus incentives, this year, and 2018 rewards him with chance to earn more than 400. #Argos

This is the 2nd signing I have heard of that hasn't been announced. A moratorium on player re-signing over the holidays?
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 01-01-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post

I'm told the #Argos and QB Drew Willy agreed to terms on a new deal two weeks ago. #Bombers

He'll make more than 300K as the starter, plus incentives, this year, and 2018 rewards him with chance to earn more than 400. #Argos

This is the 2nd signing I have heard of that hasn't been announced. A moratorium on player re-signing over the holidays?
    So it sounds like Willy will be our starter. I haven't seen anything that shows me that he can be a starter.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Another step indicating Milanovich will be back? Where's Ron????

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Even if Millanovich was gassed, sounds like Barker would still be there - and insist on Willy as the starting QB, and at good CFL dollars ?(if those reports are true and I am always suspicious of CFL contract reported figures) = ???

Just bizzarre. The future of this team does not look good at all IMO - and sorry bout that opinion - but Barker + Millanovich + Willy as the starting QB = recipe for disaster - worse than last season. And good luck at luring fans to a same old, boring offence and losing football team.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    That doesn't leave a whole lot of money for the #2 QB. I'm curious to see what role, if any, Ray has next season.

As everyone knows, salaries aren't guaranteed, so nothing is set in stone just yet. It does sound as though he's our projected starter, though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level

Personally disappointed that Willy is their guy TBH, oh well let's see what happens.
    Here's hoping they continue to keep their eyes peeled for another QB and or one of the young guys starts to step it up (they're going to need it).
    Free agent tryout camps and CFL free agency coming up hopefully they find some gems this year.
    Hard to understand the Argos silence, word leaking out about some signings and nothing official from the team?
    Last edited by Argo57; 01-01-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Even if Millanovich was gassed, sounds like Barker would still be there - and insist on Willy as the starting QB, and at good CFL dollars ?(if those reports are true and I am always suspicious of CFL contract reported figures) = ???

Just bizzarre. The future of this team does not look good at all IMO - and sorry bout that opinion - but Barker + Millanovich + Willy as the starting QB = recipe for disaster - worse than last season. And good luck at luring fans to a same old, boring offence and losing football team.

I agree OV, I think we are heading into a rough stretch as Argo fans.
    I also fear that this team could actually be worse in 2017.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    So it sounds like Willy will be our starter. I haven't seen anything that shows me that he can be a starter.
    IMO, it is too early to have a final determination on the question of whether Willy can be a successful starter for the Argos. Take a look at the 2016 passing stats for the CFL:

Willy's numbers are not bad, are are comparable to other QB's who have been successful. If you look at prior years, this holds true as well, even though in one full season with Winnipeg he was sacked 67 times. Shortly, after he arrived in T.O., our supposedly best three receivers were released and he was left trying to learn a new system with receivers who had never started much, behind a very porous OL that could not provide any real protection. I admit he did not look great at times, but it was a difficult position to be put in.

The other question I have for all those who are so against giving him a chance, is who do we go to? While Cody Fajardo shows promise, he is not ready to be a starter and neither Dan LeFevour or Logan Kilgore appear to be viable candidates either. As far as having let Trevor Harris and Zach Collaros go, both of them have had their issues, and neither can be said to be a premier QB... yet. Finally, when you look at what experienced QB's might be available through either free agency or trade, none jumps out as being vastly superior to Drew Willy.

I am not naive, and am not saying he is going to be our saviour, but he has to be given a legitimate chance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level

This, to me, indicates the return of Barker -- and most likely Milanovich.
    Sink or swim with Willy I guess. I personally would not gamble my job on this QB because that is what these guys will be doing.
    I hope I am wrong, and I could be, but Milanovich and Barker are stubborn. This to me is a weakness.
    My guess is that Willy and Ray are at the helm with the youngsters (Fajardo & Kilgore) in the stable.
    The chances of a mid season reshuffle have just gone up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I agree OV, I think we are heading into a rough stretch as Argo fans.
    I also fear that this team could actually be worse in 2017.
    How do you get worse than last place?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    IMO, it is too early to have a final determination on the question of whether Willy can be a successful starter for the Argos. Take a look at the 2016 passing stats for the CFL:

Willy's numbers are not bad, are are comparable to other QB's who have been successful. If you look at prior years, this holds true as well, even though in one full season with Winnipeg he was sacked 67 times. Shortly, after he arrived in T.O., our supposedly best three receivers were released and he was left trying to learn a new system with receivers who had never started much, behind a very porous OL that could not provide any real protection. I admit he did not look great at times, but it was a difficult position to be put in.

The other question I have for all those who are so against giving him a chance, is who do we go to? While Cody Fajardo shows promise, he is not ready to be a starter and neither Dan LeFevour or Logan Kilgore appear to be viable candidates either. As far as having let Trevor Harris and Zach Collaros go, both of them have had their issues, and neither can be said to be a premier QB... yet. Finally, when you look at what experienced QB's might be available through either free agency or trade, none jumps out as being vastly superior to Drew Willy.

I am not naive, and am not saying he is going to be our saviour, but he has to be given a legitimate chance.
    Willy has been given plenty of chances in Winnipeg and Toronto. He looks lost and scared on the field. I'd take Ray, LeFevour or Fajardo before him.