Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

2017 CFL Draft Thread

In advance of the CFL's Scouting Prospect's List (first of which for 2017 should be out soon)

1) Jordan Herdman - Linebacker - (Simon Fraser, 6-2, 235) - already a 2 time Conference D player of the year and record setting tackler

2) Elie Ankou - DT - (UCLA, 6-3, 305) - repeat starter on a Div I program

3) Rishaun Simonise - receiver - (Calgary, 6-5, 210) - big target, speedy receiver with big CIS production - * (not playing for the Dinos this season - academically inelligible ? - but was already signed as a FA by the NFL's Bengals this summer but released in TC)

4) Eddie Meredith - OT - (Western, 6-6, 310) - 2 time CIS all-star OT; previously recruited by Boston College - * (not playing for Western this season - and haven't been able to find out why?) - if he has given up on football = have to scratch him from this list

5) Mason Woods - OG - (Idaho, 6-9, 336) - massive starting guard in Div I ball

6) Junior Luke - DT - (Montreal, 6-1, 300) - play-maker on D for a strong Carabins D that has went to 2 straight Vaniers

7) Sam Narkaj - DT - (Concordia, 6, 295) - CIS all-star, 36 bench reps in Combine testing

8) Nate Behar - receiver - (Carleton, 6, 192) - smooth, polished receiver with some good testing #s

9) Braden Schram - OT - (Calgary, 6-4, 304) - CIS all-star OT, played for a very productive Dinos offence

10) Marc Glaude - O-line - (Montreal, 6-2, 288) - repeat Q all-star on a top CIS program

11) Dan Vandervoort - receiver - (McMaster , 6-1, 190) - very productive CIS receiver for several seasons

12) Robert Woodson - DB - (Calgary, 5-11, 181) - CIS all-star with some very good athletic testing #s (4.52 forty & 36" vertical)

13) Evan Foster - DE - (Manitoba, 6-2, 220) - pro undersized a bit at DE but very athletic, strong (30 bench reps), play-making defender

14) Alex Morrison - receiver - (UBC, 6-3, 211) - big target with some good athletic testing #s

15) Jesse McNair - safety - (Western, 5-11, 186) - CIS all-star

*** edit - after seeing the CFL's Scouting Combine list - I would add 4 NCAA ball Canucks, plus one guy from CIS ball :

Justin Senior - OT - (Miss. St., 6-5, 310) - starter for 3 seasons now

Akeel Lynch - RB (Nevada, 5-11, 220) - formerly at Penn State where he put up some big rushing #s

Chris Mulumba Tshimanga - LB (Maine, 6-1, 245) - huge backer who was their D player of the year a couple of seasons back

Faith Ekakitie - DT - (Iowa, 6-3, 290)

Kwaku Boateng - DE - (Laurier, 6-1, 243) - 2nd team CIS all-star last season

Senior, Lynch and Mulumba should all be top 5 or 10, IMO

Not sure who/where the Argos will be targeting next draft?; and oops, already gave up their 1st rounder in the trade for a Willy - might be able to get a good player / one of these guys in the 2nd round ?
    Last edited by OV Argo; 09-15-2016 at 08:21 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks. Good to read from people like myself who would have no clue otherwise.

So all things being equal, you would take Herdman with the first overall pick?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Thanks. Good to read from people like myself who would have no clue otherwise.

So all things being equal, you would take Herdman with the first overall pick?
    Argos ? Probably not, with Greenwood & Miles on the team, but it would be tempting to take such a talent.

I'm non-GOB like in draft thinking - would want a player who could compete/help in an area of need - sooner than later.

I' wouldn't take any of the top receivers this coming draft either when I had Brian Jones & Llevi Noel on the roster.

Like to see them get one of those DTs, or an O-lineman = areas of need now, but things can change come draft time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't know too many on there yet OV, will have to start checking them out. CITY TV is suppose to be carrying some CIS games this fall. I thought Meredith was eligible to be drafted last year. Not a very strong draft for NCAA players although Ankou sounds like a good one. Maybe there will be a few guys like Alex Singleton's show up on the list.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I don't know too many on there yet OV, will have to start checking them out. CITY TV is suppose to be carrying some CIS games this fall. I thought Meredith was eligible to be drafted last year. Not a very strong draft for NCAA players although Ankou sounds like a good one. Maybe there will be a few guys like Alex Singleton's show up on the list.
    Not sure what is up with Meredith; however, if he was CFL draft eligible last year, surely there would have been some draft talk about him as a prospect or he would have been invited to a CFL Combine - but there was zip mention of him last draft; his size and resume (2 time CIS all-star OT, plus recruited to Boston College before that) would have made him about/near the top O-line prospect last draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    What ever happened to WR/DB Joel Karim Zoukngrana 6' 200 played 3 seasons at Boston College (first year red shirt) then transferred to McGill last year. Not listed on the McGill roster this year, which would be his CFL draft year.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    This is great, OV! I hope you update it at the end of the CIS season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The CFL's Scouting Combine list of top prospects - 1st/fall version - for the 2017 draft is now out on their site.

Some of the guys from my list are on there - but not my #1 Herdman ? - maybe he is somehow not eligible for the 2017 CFL draft or maybe the CFL expert scouts are writing the guy off because he plays Div II ball ?

A couple of US college ball Canucks I did not know about are on the CFL list: their #1 prospect is OT Justin Senior (Miss. St.); another is RB Akeel Lynch (who i believe doubleblue has mentioned before) - former starter at Penn State, and this year playing for Nevada. These 2 guys should be added to my list for sure - I'll revise to make a top 20.

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Rishaun Simonise is playing junior for the Okanagan Sun. The Bengals apparently told him to bulk up and play a year of junior and they will evaluate him again, next season.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The CFL's Scouting Combine list of top prospects - 1st/fall version - for the 2017 draft is now out on their site.

Some of the guys from my list are on there - but not my #1 Herdman ? - maybe he is somehow not eligible for the 2017 CFL draft or maybe the CFL expert scouts are writing the guy off because he plays Div II ball ?

A couple of US college ball Canucks I did not know about are on the CFL list: their #1 prospect is OT Justin Senior (Miss. St.); another is RB Akeel Lynch (who i believe doubleblue has mentioned before) - former starter at Penn State, and this year playing for Nevada. These 2 guys should be added to my list for sure - I'll revise to make a top 20.
    Herdman was listed as a Junior earlier when I was checking the rosters. He could still declare for the draft early I guess. Might be a good year to do that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Herdman was listed as a Junior earlier when I was checking the rosters. He could still declare for the draft early I guess. Might be a good year to do that.
    I thought this was Herdman's 4th year at SFU - which would make him draft eligible? - but i could be wrong there.

That linebacker out of Maine - Chris Mulumba Tshmianga- i had read about before and saw that his hometown was listed as Montreal, but i wasn't sure if he would be considered a "national" in the CFL. Had a big season there a couple of years back and was Maine's D player of the year; big linebacker too.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks OV. As a fan of the CFL draft and the Canadians in the CFL, I love your updates.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I thought this was Herdman's 4th year at SFU - which would make him draft eligible? - but i could be wrong there.

That linebacker out of Maine - Chris Mulumba Tshmianga- i had read about before and saw that his hometown was listed as Montreal, but i wasn't sure if he would be considered a "national" in the CFL. Had a big season there a couple of years back and was Maine's D player of the year; big linebacker too.
    The Herdman brothers are showing that this is their Senior year. I would think they would be ranked higher than the 3rd round. The Combine will separate the men from the boys.
    Another Canadian playing NCAA Div I is David Fennell at Michigan State. 6'2 266 was a D Lineman, but this year I see he's listed as a FB. I believe he may be the Son of former Edmonton star DT Dave Fennell.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I believe he may be the Son of former Edmonton star DT Dave Fennell.
    He is. I'll try to watch out for him if/when any of their games are televised.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Herdman brothers are showing that this is their Senior year. I would think they would be ranked higher than the 3rd round. The Combine will separate the men from the boys.
    Another Canadian playing NCAA Div I is David Fennell at Michigan State. 6'2 266 was a D Lineman, but this year I see he's listed as a FB. I believe he may be the Son of former Edmonton star DT Dave Fennell.

Herdman is listed as R-SR on the SFU roster - which i believe means red-shirted Senior ? - and if so, does this mean he would be eligible for another (5th) year of playing there ?

And the new CFL draft rules mean that Canadians playing US college ball are draftable after they have used up all their college ball eligibility ?

SO - Herdman might not be CFL draftable till the 2018 draft ??? - i dunno

IF he is draftable the next CFL draft but is not on the CFL's Scouting Combine top 20 prospects list - I would find that just bizzarre (but it is the CFL draft we're talking - and nothing surprises me there).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Justin Dunk has an article out somewhere (saw the link*at Riderfans.) where he lists more prospects who could be on the CFL Prospects list, and he mentions Herdman as one of them - so, for what that's worth, I guess he is draftable next year ? CFL "scouts" not including this guy in their top 20 is still beyond me.

* BTW - don;t know how to do the links, but if somebody could link the CFL site's list and maybe Dunk's article too to this thread to help build a 2017 CFL draft thread, I would appreciate it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Justin Dunk has an article out somewhere (saw the link*at Riderfans.) where he lists more prospects who could be on the CFL Prospects list, and he mentions Herdman as one of them - so, for what that's worth, I guess he is draftable next year ? CFL "scouts" not including this guy in their top 20 is still beyond me.

* BTW - don;t know how to do the links, but if somebody could link the CFL site's list and maybe Dunk's article too to this thread to help build a 2017 CFL draft thread, I would appreciate it.
    Dunk's additional guys not on your list:

OT Jordan Filippelli 6'6 310 Calgary
    RB John Augustine 5'10 200 Guelph
    WR Mike Picton 6'2 205 Regina
    DT Jalen Price 6'5 320 Laurier
    DB Nate Hamlin 6'1 205 Carleton
    DB Ty Cranston 6'3 188 Ottawa

That pretty well covers the first three rounds. But we know a few players will drop and a few others will rise after the combine.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Dunk's additional guys not on your list:

OT Jordan Filippelli 6'6 310 Calgary
    RB John Augustine 5'10 200 Guelph
    WR Mike Picton 6'2 205 Regina
    DT Jalen Price 6'5 320 Laurier
    DB Nate Hamlin 6'1 205 Carleton
    DB Ty Cranston 6'3 188 Ottawa

That pretty well covers the first three rounds. But we know a few players will drop and a few others will rise after the combine.

Yeah, and sometimes quite a bit of movement on the CFL list from one edition to the next, before Combine time.

I hope to go to the Panda Game - Carleton vs. Ottawa U - on Oct. 1st - both teams looking strong this season (GGs undefeated and the Ravens upset Western), so a battle of a couple of the top OUA teams so far; then would get to look at both those DBs Hamlin & Cranston.

Panda game is an old traditional football battle - old-timer Ravi might remember some from his days at Carleton; they have had some pretty decent crowds at Lansdowne since the revival of both the stadium and the game being played there (for 2 years now - I went 2 years back and a very entertaining game) - attendance close to 20K I think - which is big for CIS ball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Thanks j-ski - could you also link the CFL site's Scouting Combine list that they posted about a week ago.