Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Thanks j-ski - could you also link the CFL site's Scouting Combine list that they posted about a week ago.
    CFL Scouting Bureau

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/09/15/senior-...mber-rankings/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Yeah, and sometimes quite a bit of movement on the CFL list from one edition to the next, before Combine time.

I hope to go to the Panda Game - Carleton vs. Ottawa U - on Oct. 1st - both teams looking strong this season (GGs undefeated and the Ravens upset Western), so a battle of a couple of the top OUA teams so far; then would get to look at both those DBs Hamlin & Cranston.

Panda game is an old traditional football battle - old-timer Ravi might remember some from his days at Carleton; they have had some pretty decent crowds at Lansdowne since the revival of both the stadium and the game being played there (for 2 years now - I went 2 years back and a very entertaining game) - attendance close to 20K I think - which is big for CIS ball.
    Yeah, I attended a few of those Panda Games. A couple I didn't attend though had some ugly incidents. The year before I arrived at Carleton, some Carleton students were badly injured when the railing collapsed at old Lansdowne Park. I have always wondered what happened to those who were injured but I imagine that some gag orders came about when lawsuits were settled and we will never find out. A few years after that, a Carleton punt returner named Rob Dunn was assaulted - and it was an assault - on a punt return by an Ottawa U. player named Lussier (can't recall his first name now). Lussier nailed Dunn without any regard to the "no yards" rule. Dunn had injuries that, I believe, still haunt him to this day. Dunn's favourite player was Pinball Clemons and Pinball actually drove from Toronto to Ottawa to visit him in the hospital a day or two later.

Anyway, I don't believe that a Carleton player has made it to the CFL since the football program was re-started so 2017 could be a momentous occasion.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 12-08-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Yeah, I attended a few of those Panda Games. A couple I didn't attend though had some ugly incidents. The year before I arrived at Carleton, some Carleton students were badly injured when the railing collapsed at old Lansdowne Park. I have always wondered what happened to those who were injured but I imagine that some gag orders came about when lawsuits were settled and we will never find out. A few years after that, a Carleton punt returner named Rob Dunn was assaulted - and it was an assault - on a punt return by an Ottawa U. player named Lussier (can't recall his first name now). Lussier nailed Dunn without any regard to the "no yards" rule. Dunn had injuries that, I believe, still haunt him to this day. Dunn's favourite player was Pinball Clemons and Pinball actually drove down from Ottawa and visited him in the hospital a day or two later.

Anyway, I don't believe that a Carleton player has made it to the CFL since the football program was re-started so 2017 could be a momentous occasion.

The Ravens RB this season - Jayde Rowe - is having a great start, including setting a Carleton single game rushing record; very good yards/carry average; and a decent load for a RB (listed at 5-11, 220)' listed as a 4th year player (not with them before - bio seems to show he has bounced around including the OVFL and JUCO ball in the States ?) - wonder if he might get a look from some CFL "scouts" (even though he is a tailback), or if he will be on the 2017 CFL draft list? I'd bet Carleton receiver Nate Behar gets drafted next year and makes a CFL roster.

Heard today that over 22 thousand tickets have been sold already for tomorrow's Panda game ! Some of the big-mouth dorks on CFL fan forums (not this one) who love mocking Ottawa football/fans (I guess for the Ottawa franchise folding twice - due to incompetent clown owners) are shown to have no clue what they're talking about. RedBlacks games mostly sold-out or close to; and a CIS match-up can draw that many football fans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Saw some of that game today on City TV. Great sell out crowd in Ottawa. Great story there by the RedBlacks owners bringing back the CFL team and restarting the Carleton program.
    I agree RB Rowe and WR Behar looks like the two best Carleton players. Rowe doesn't look quite 5'11 220 but a good hard runner. They said he has 3 years eligibility left counting this one in the CIS.
    Carleton has some biiiiggg O-Linemen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Saw some of that game today on City TV. Great sell out crowd in Ottawa. Great story there by the RedBlacks owners bringing back the CFL team and restarting the Carleton program.
    I agree RB Rowe and WR Behar looks like the two best Carleton players. Rowe doesn't look quite 5'11 220 but a good hard runner. They said he has 3 years eligibility left counting this one in the CIS.
    Carleton has some biiiiggg O-Linemen.

Great, fun game to be at. Both these teams have a shot to win the OUA with no real powerhouse it seems; and both teams have vet (5th year i think) QBs at the helm.

Ravens have a good team; Behar is a superb receiver - bet he is first couple of rounds CFL draft pick next year; Carleton ground the run game well, but I wasn't that impressed by Rowe like i had hoped - decent back with some moves but doesn't seem to have much power or break away speed; GGs RB Bryce Virera (sp?) is the better back IMO.

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Akeel Lynch, #1 RB and #3 overall draft prospect has retired after having two concussions in a span of four games. He transfered to Nevada to complete his masters so perhaps football isn't that important to him? He could've just graduated and declared to be drafted last year, no?

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/...017-story.html
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Akeel Lynch, #1 RB and #3 overall draft prospect has retired after having two concussions in a span of four games. He transfered to Nevada to complete his masters so perhaps football isn't that important to him? He could've just graduated and declared to be drafted last year, no?

Two concussions in that short of a span should and will scare a lot of players in 2016. I just watched the movie "Concussion" the other night btw and I would recommend it.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Two concussions in that short of a span should and will scare a lot of players in 2016. I just watched the movie "Concussion" the other night btw and I would recommend it.
    Really well done movie Ravi agreed, probably a smart decision by Lynch.
    As more light is shed on this topic expect more announcements like this.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post

That stinks. I watched Lynch play quite a bit with Penn State during his time there. Would have loved to see him with the Argos and for a while (before the great trade) I thought it had a chance of happening. RB's do take a pounding. Too much head banging.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Disappointing for Lynch - but easy to understand with the better awareness now of the impact/dangers of concussions.

Tyler Varga had to pack it in for the Colts for the same reason i believe = that's 2 top notch Canadian RBs gone from pro potential in short order - sad. And was it mostly concussion issues that caused Jon Cornish to retire - early - he could have played much longer ?

Also Western's outstanding QB Will Finch had to retire with concussion concerns the issue there as well i think (?)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Disappointing for Lynch - but easy to understand with the better awareness now of the impact/dangers of concussions.

Tyler Varga had to pack it in for the Colts for the same reason i believe = that's 2 top notch Canadian RBs gone from pro potential in short order - sad. And was it mostly concussion issues that caused Jon Cornish to retire - early - he could have played much longer ?

Also Western's outstanding QB Will Finch had to retire with concussion concerns the issue there as well i think (?)
    What is the best course of action to reduce concussions? No hitting during practices post training camp?

Or is there any? I know the Ti-Cats don't hit in practice during the season.

I wonder how many years Marty Schottenheimer took off the lives of his players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    What is the best course of action to reduce concussions? No hitting during practices post training camp?

Or is there any? I know the Ti-Cats don't hit in practice during the season.

I wonder how many years Marty Schottenheimer took off the lives of his players.
    I believe that full-contact practices are now quite rare in the CFL. IIRC, you can only have one per week but I don't even think teams do that much.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    CIS semi finals:

2 very interesting match-ups: Laurier vs. Laval, and, Calgary vs. StFX

- which will also feature some top rated CFL draft prospects (plus a few others not rated much yet maybe) for next season:

Laval - from their O-line/hog factory - J-S Roy; TE/H-back Anthony Auclair; receiver Felix Lechasseur

Laurier - DE Kwaku Boateng, DT Jalen Price, C Jamie Lalonde (2nd team OUA all-star this year) LB Nakas Oneka; (and not that he will get any CFL attention - but QB Michael Knevel -big QB - 6-5 , 220 range and seems to have a good arm, plus can run = impressed me in the Yates Cup win - should be draftable)

Calgary - O-linemen Jordan Filippelli & Braden Schram (did not see him playing last game so maybe injured?); D-half Robert Woodson; DE Connor McGough

StFX - D-lineman Kay Okafor (plus like to see last year's undrafted DB Hayden Peters signed for a CFL FA look - former punter as well)

Looking forward to these games - some CIS play-off games of the past few years have been much more entertaining football than some CFL play-off games IMO. Pulling for a FX vs. Laurier Vanier; but i would bet on seeing Laval vs. Calgary instead.

Boatman
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Some more links of interest to CFL draft fans:

2017 CFL Draft Prospects in this weekends Mitchell and Uteck Bowls

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/11/18/u-sport...ant-miss-list/

Separate article on Laval's Antony Auclair

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl...fl-draft-pick/

OUA 2016 Football Allstars

http://oua.ca/sports/fball/2016-17/r...20161109hza27r

AUS 2016 Football All-stars

http://www.atlanticuniversitysport.c...20161111oe0999

RSEQ 2016 Football All-stars

http://rseq.ca/sports/football/unive...6-dévoilées/

Canada West Football All-stars

http://www.canadawest.org/sports/fba...3fballallstars

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Several top rated CFL draft prospects were not playing in these semis - injured i guess? - Woodson & Schram from the Dinos; Okafor for StFX.

Laval looked very impressive in dominating Laurier - very sharp, diverse offence.

Dinos pulled away with a big passing attack after StFX played them tough in the 1st half.

Should be a good Vanier - I'd bet on Laval, unless the Dinos can pass like they did today, but the Laval D might be a way tougher challenge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Laval tight end (H-back) Anthony Auclair, & Manitoba O-lineman Geoff Gray - selected as the 2 CIS players to go to the US Shrine college ball all-star game.

Gray to be part of what could be a very deep O-line crop for next year's CFL draft. Argos might be able to grab one of them by the time they pick in the 2nd round? Though I'm hoping they might have a shot at one of those 2 big MLB types (Herdman (SFU) or Mulumba (?) out of Maine) in the 2nd round.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Laval tight end (H-back) Anthony Auclair, & Manitoba O-lineman Geoff Gray - selected as the 2 CIS players to go to the US Shrine college ball all-star game.

Gray to be part of what could be a very deep O-line crop for next year's CFL draft. Argos might be able to grab one of them by the time they pick in the 2nd round? Though I'm hoping they might have a shot at one of those 2 big MLB types (Herdman (SFU) or Mulumba (?) out of Maine) in the 2nd round.
    Should be a good player available at #10. Wonder who Kyle Walters grabs (with a big smile on his face) 1st overall...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Should be a good player available at #10. Wonder who Kyle Walters grabs (with a big smile on his face) 1st overall...

Bummers - IMO anyways - would be insane to not, or at least not tempted - to pick SFU linebacker (and Winnipeg boy) Herdman with #1; superb college ball resume (already a 2 time conference D player of the year before his Senior season). Maybe/could be a long-time CFL quality starter if he pans out. Bass was decent at MLB for them last season, but IMO he was better at OLB the year before; Herdman might be a decent to great upgrade.

Argos could still make out OK with #10 overall; and he's a factor along with the great Drew Willy as the Argo all-star starting QB for the next decade or so. Gotta go now - to swill more double blue kool-aid.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    DT - Justin Vaughn (Fordham), a Hamilton native - has made the Patriot League 1st all-star team in US college ball.

Another DT to add to a decent crop at that position for next year's draft.

In other draft news - O-lineman Dariusz Bladek (Bethune Cookman) - former team O-lineman of the year - has been granted CFL eligibility for the next draft; his mom is Canadian so he could apply for eligibility under the new CFL draft rules; he declared early for the NFL draft last year but was not picked.

An addition to what should be a strong crop at O-line for next draft.