Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    Good wish list.
    Do you have any suggestions as to who you would choose to fill those positions from the current personnel in the CFL?
    I would think the Eskimos' Reilly or Lions' Jennings would suit for the QB position.

Whitaker is capable as the main RB who can get some decent to 10+ yard gains; the Argos have no real alternative as a change of pace, explosive type back (Coombs gets a few shots at RB but he is more like a Whitaker type back, IMO); yet - the Argos carry Cross on the roster as back-up at the oft little used H-back position? - IMO, big receiver Brian Jones could easily fill that role behind Dupuis along with Jones being a back-up slotback, and then they could try to find a change of pace, big play RB to have on the roster and use some. And since the Durie hybrid slot position that was once so effective with Durie often getting good yardage, but has now been basically either given up on or figured out by defences, and is doing precious little - maybe time to put in Noel or Jones and see what they can do as down field receiver threats ?

The Lions or Esks ain't about to give up Jennings or Reilly, but IMO the Argos could try to stick with and game play LeFevour as a running threat QB who is still a capable passer; but seems he has already been written off in favor of a mediocre passing / no run threat Willy? - we'll see how that works out; Ricky Ray possibly returning (is that still possible?) to run the check-down / dink & dunk Millanovich/Brady offence is the best hope the Argos have IMO; otherwise, they are IMO f****d on offence with the thinkers they have running things.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The Lions or Esks ain't about to give up Jennings or Reilly, but IMO the Argos could try to stick with and game play LeFevour as a running threat QB who is still a capable passer; but seems he has already been written off in favor of a mediocre passing / no run threat Willy? - we'll see how that works out; Ricky Ray possibly returning (is that still possible?) to run the check-down / dink & dunk Millanovich/Brady offence is the best hope the Argos have IMO; otherwise, they are IMO f****d on offence with the thinkers they have running things.
    After "enjoying" as much of the game as I could stand (less than 1/2)...

Whoever came up with the offensive offensive game plan and resultant play calling (a.k.a. the same old same old that opposing defences know better and execute faster than the Argonauts offence) vs. Ottawa should be [fill in the blank].

LH was having quite a rough time of it punting the ball - I hope he got himself sorted out in the second half.

Wanted: kick returner... kijiji ad posted months ago still hasn't been answered; oh wait, the ad was never posted.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Whitaker is capable as the main RB who can get some decent to 10+ yard gains; the Argos have no real alternative as a change of pace, explosive type back (Coombs gets a few shots at RB but he is more like a Whitaker type back, IMO); yet - the Argos carry Cross on the roster as back-up at the oft little used H-back position? - IMO, big receiver Brian Jones could easily fill that role behind Dupuis along with Jones being a back-up slotback, and then they could try to find a change of pace, big play RB to have on the roster and use some. And since the Durie hybrid slot position that was once so effective with Durie often getting good yardage, but has now been basically either given up on or figured out by defences, and is doing precious little - maybe time to put in Noel or Jones and see what they can do as down field receiver threats ?

Actually, I wasn't trying to tie you down to who you thought the Argos could get among current CFL players, but examples of the type of players who would fill the roles you describe.
    Therefore, a Reilly or Jennings "type" of QB for the Argos. Maybe a Jerome Messam "type" of running back to complement Whitaker?
    I'm saying that I can understand your argument, so who in the CFL currently exemplifies the traits for which you are looking and for which the Argos should look at drafting/developing?

Someone who can break tackles like Durie and Kackert used to would be nice.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    IMO f****d on offence with the thinkers they have running things.
    I asked before but you must have missed it.

You constantly complain about the schemes as you see it. But when you got to watch the team live and in person ... did you see receivers constantly being open so they could push it down the field?

I saw 3 Argo games live. When receivers got open you saw ray push it down field. But that always ended early and then Ray had no choice but to dink and dunk (as you put it) because that's all there was.
    Last edited by Ron; 09-27-2016 at 12:51 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I asked before but you must have missed it.

You constantly complain about the schemes as you see it. But when you got to watch the team live and in person ... did you see receivers constantly being open so they could push it down the field?

I saw 3 Argo games live. When receivers got open you saw ray push it down field. But that always ended early and then Ray had no choice but to dink and dunk (as you put it) because that's all there was.

Sorry Ron - can't give an honest answer there - wasn't paying that much attention to the Argos' receivers and their routes from my vantage points that game.

However - if the play-book & play-calling does not ask for receivers running lots of routes well down field and instead expect them to "sit-down" for check-downs or short pass plays, that is I'd think mostly what you'll get. Hazelton in the starting receiving corps again was maybe an example of this thinking - IMO he is nowhere near the downfield receiver threat that Gurley or Elliott are. Llevi Noel had a couple of very fine receptions a few games back in a bit of playing time, but has been rewarded by next to no playing time since ? And why continue to use the hybird slot Durie position with next to no production anymore? How many carries did Whitaker get last game? Reggiemac was talking about some new Argo RB signing - maybe he could get a shot to help the offence? Same old dink & dunk offence with Willy at QB - i have no faith in, but he could prove me wrong.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    From what vantage point could you not observe the Argo receivers, OV? (If you were in the bathroom for most of the game I understand - and you have my sympathy)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    After "enjoying" as much of the game as I could stand (less than 1/2)...

Whoever came up with the offensive offensive game plan and resultant play calling (a.k.a. the same old same old that opposing defences know better and execute faster than the Argonauts offence) vs. Ottawa should be [fill in the blank].

LH was having quite a rough time of it punting the ball - I hope he got himself sorted out in the second half.

Wanted: kick returner... kijiji ad posted months ago still hasn't been answered; oh wait, the ad was never posted.
    I'm with you on the lack of imagination of who's ever calling the plays. Milanovich or Brady? I thought the first 1/4 Argo offensive planning was almost made for Lefevour to fail. Drop back pocket passing with no roll outs which makes Lefevour succeed. Maybe the thinking was " Ottawa will be expecting Lefevour to roll out, so lets cross them up and keep him in the pocket". The only ones that got fooled was themselves. The results were predictable as Lefevour got rushed to throw and the receivers couldn't get open.
    But Willy is a better pocket passer than Lefevour and throws the deep ball better. That seems to be the offense Milanovich wants to go with, trying to fit a NFL type offense onto a CFL field, which might work if they had the horses up front and a bruising 225 lb RB. American RB's are suppose to be a dime a dozen so IMO it is time to drop an import receiver in favour of Coombes/Noel/Jones (lots of depth there) and give the QB and Whitaker some help inside. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see how Whitaker was much more effective when the defenses were presented with Lefevour as an alternate running threat. Good luck trying to win and sell tickets with this offense of trying to put a square plug into a round hole.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

Think OV Argo should be the next HC, very knowledgeable

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    From what vantage point could you not observe the Argo receivers, OV? (If you were in the bathroom for most of the game I understand - and you have my sympathy)
    I had a standing room ticket, and was down mostly low - all along the Southside concourse (where you can walk along and follow the line of scrimmage up the field), sometimes in either end zone. Watching more the lines and the QB. If you're up high, you have a better vantage point of watching part of the play that you typically don't see from the TV coverage shots - like what the receivers do as they go out on patterns.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by REAL View Post
    Think OV Argo should be the next HC, very knowledgeable

OK then; first order of business will be to name doubleblue as OC and have him install AV as our starting QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    OK then; first order of business will be to name doubleblue as OC and have him install AV as our starting QB.
    I like a roll out QB in my offense. I have my doubts about AV's ability to do that at 270 lbs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I like a roll out QB in my offense. I have my doubts about AV's ability to do that at 270 lbs.
    I didn't roll out in my playing days (unless by pure accident). No chance it would happen today.
    It's us vs the rest of the country