Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level

Sep. 23: Argonauts @ REDBLACKS

LeFevour starts.

Hopefully the Argonauts success in Ottawa continues.
    A loss here would create some unwanted separation in the east division standings while a win puts the Argonauts on a good footing in those standings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I think LeFevour with his ability to extend plays will give Ottawa's average defense fits. If the Argo D can prevent Harris from connecting on his deep passes, the Argos walk out of our Nation's Capital with 2 points.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I for one am happy to see Lefevour continue to start. IMO, he has had 2 very good games.

One thing that can't be overlooked with Lefevour is his running ability has to keep the defence honest. I was one that was writing Whitaker off a few weeks ago, but it's amazing how much better he has looked when the D has to respect the possibility of the QB keeping the ball and getting to the outside.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I for one am happy to see Lefevour continue to start. IMO, he has had 2 very good games.

One thing that can't be overlooked with Lefevour is his running ability has to keep the defence honest. I was one that was writing Whitaker off a few weeks ago, but it's amazing how much better he has looked when the D has to respect the possibility of the QB keeping the ball and getting to the outside.
    Speaking of Whitaker, he sits second in CFL rushing, just 39 yards behind Jerome Messam. He is on pace to surpass 1,000 yards. Argos have not had a 1,000 yard rusher since Jamal Robertson in 2009 I believe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Speaking of Whitaker, he sits second in CFL rushing, just 39 yards behind Jerome Messam. He is on pace to surpass 1,000 yards. Argos have not had a 1,000 yard rusher since Jamal Robertson in 2009 I believe.
    Cory Boyd ran for 1300 in 2010.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Cory Boyd ran for 1300 in 2010.
    How could I forget about Boyd????

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    One thing Whitaker has seemed to be able to do a lot this season, is break bigger than average runs - a lot of 7 or 10 + yard carries; some have been late in games when it was maybe easier to achieve, but still, he has shown ability to get good yardage on lots of his carries - like a 9 yard/carry average last game I believe.

Too bad this Argo offensive coaching staff does not believe in more run game - as a way to make 1st downs and move the ball up the field; a bit or a lot more ground game (and add in some carries for Durie or Coombs too; plus some planned QB runs with LeFevour in now) instead of a lot of the 5 yard gainer dink & dunk and check-down passes, and this offence would be better, IMO.

And BTW - for a CFL RB nowdays to have a thousand yard season - with an 18 game sched. - he only needs to average 55 yards per game; yet how many teams have a RB on pace for 1000 + yards this season ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    My daughter observed (correctly, I'd say) that Whitaker seems to either get held for no gain whatsoever or bust out for 8-10 yards. Fortunately he's had a lot of the latter, especially of late.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    One thing Whitaker has seemed to be able to do a lot this season, is break bigger than average runs - a lot of 7 or 10 + yard carries; some have been late in games when it was maybe easier to achieve, but still, he has shown ability to get good yardage on lots of his carries - like a 9 yard/carry average last game I believe.

Too bad this Argo offensive coaching staff does not believe in more run game - as a way to make 1st downs and move the ball up the field; a bit or a lot more ground game (and add in some carries for Durie or Coombs too; plus some planned QB runs with LeFevour in now) instead of a lot of the 5 yard gainer dink & dunk and check-down passes, and this offence would be better, IMO.

And BTW - for a CFL RB nowdays to have a thousand yard season - with an 18 game sched. - he only needs to average 55 yards per game; yet how many teams have a RB on pace for 1000 + yards this season ?
    With LeFevour at QB, it seems to open up a lot more possibilities regarding the running game. Diontae Spencer was a threat to run the ball last game and I could see the Argos working Durie and/or Coombs in this week as an additional run option for LeFevour.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    My daughter observed (correctly, I'd say) that Whitaker seems to either get held for no gain whatsoever or bust out for 8-10 yards. Fortunately he's had a lot of the latter, especially of late.

While Whitaker is not exactly a Leon McQuay - in terms of explosive, break-away speed that is a constant threat to bust a run for 50+ yards - he is still capable of getting those decent chunks of yards = should merit more carries IMO. NO Leon's in the CFL now it seems (though Cornish was good for some long gainers) - partly because those kind of ability backs (speed, power, explosion) do not exactly grow on trees, and also IMO because CFL offensive "thinkers" do not value those types of RBs in favor of a more all-around back (blocking or pass catching assignments are valued), plus the offensive formations are so standard, with one basic run play now.

If i was a CFL GM, I'd damn well be looking for such a big play/explosive back to have on my roster - even as a back-up RB (could play STs maybe too) and have a few run plays a game called for him - and hope he breaks the odd big gainer ; take the place of some pi$$-poor & pathetic 4 yard hitch or check-down completions with the receiver tackled right away and short of the 1st down plays that exist so much in the CFL now. Same deal for a release well down the field by the TE/H-back that most CFL teams use to some degree now - send this guy down the seam and throw it to him 20 yards+ up field - even if just used strategically once or twice a game; could call it the Bingo play because the odd time I see a CFL team try it, it is often wide-open and uncovered - free spot on the play-book bingo card. ;o)

Diversity in a CFL offence - WTF is that ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    While Whitaker is not exactly a Leon McQuay - in terms of explosive, break-away speed that is a constant threat to bust a run for 50+ yards - he is still capable of getting those decent chunks of yards = should merit more carries IMO. NO Leon's in the CFL now it seems (though Cornish was good for some long gainers) - partly because those kind of ability backs (speed, power, explosion) do not exactly grow on trees, and also IMO because CFL offensive "thinkers" do not value those types of RBs in favor of a more all-around back (blocking or pass catching assignments are valued), plus the offensive formations are so standard, with one basic run play now.

If i was a CFL GM, I'd damn well be looking for such a big play/explosive back to have on my roster - even as a back-up RB (could play STs maybe too) and have a few run plays a game called for him - and hope he breaks the odd big gainer ; take the place of some pi$$-poor & pathetic 4 yard hitch or check-down completions with the receiver tackled right away and short of the 1st down plays that exist so much in the CFL now. Same deal for a release well down the field by the TE/H-back that most CFL teams use to some degree now - send this guy down the seam and throw it to him 20 yards+ up field - even if just used strategically once or twice a game; could call it the Bingo play because the odd time I see a CFL team try it, it is often wide-open and uncovered - free spot on the play-book bingo card. ;o)

Diversity in a CFL offence - WTF is that ?
    You're preaching to the choir here. Leon McQuay - what a talent.

If I was an O lineman I think I'd rather run block than stand still and get smacked around.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The Argos can win this game, and had better do so!

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

McFadden is in at MLB, Jefferson is out at boundary corner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Looks like just one change: Jefferson out, McFadden in. Presume we will again sit Hazelton and either Sackey or Campbell. I assume McFadden's return means we'll return to a more traditional 4-3 look at least some of the time, with Gordon or Isaac coming in when we go 3-4.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Like everyone else who is impressed by him, I find Whittaker get's stronger as the game goes on and especially when we are second and long in a crucial possession.
    Reminds a bit of Jon Cornish when he used to pile up the yards in the second half.
    Now with Dan being a threat to run out of the pocket at any time, the D cannot key on both of these two hence the dual threat.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Wondering why Gabriel has not got his starting safety job back? - he was healthy enough to dress and play STs last game, and he did get on towards the end of the game on D ? - maybe Stubler likes Black better ? (and Black may have the better cover skills, but Gabriel is the better hitter/tackler with a nose for the ball, IMO)

Also - what is the nature of Thomas Miles' injury? - he didn't play much early in the season, and I wonder if he might too be a guy that Stubler does not care for as much? - Miles was often excellent when he played on the D last season IMO - nose for the ball and can hit - impressed me a lot more than McFadden has this year on the Argo D.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Gabriel played most defensive snaps in the last home game, as did Black. And I saw him on the tv coverage at times in Winnipeg. They have been using six and even seven DBs a lot. As noted before, the depth charts often bear little or no resemblance to the actual scheme and personnel used in the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Wondering why Gabriel has not got his starting safety job back? - he was healthy enough to dress and play STs last game, and he did get on towards the end of the game on D ? - maybe Stubler likes Black better ? (and Black may have the better cover skills, but Gabriel is the better hitter/tackler with a nose for the ball, IMO)

Also - what is the nature of Thomas Miles' injury? - he didn't play much early in the season, and I wonder if he might too be a guy that Stubler does not care for as much? - Miles was often excellent when he played on the D last season IMO - nose for the ball and can hit - impressed me a lot more than McFadden has this year on the Argo D.
    I think something stinks with the Miles "Injury". Agreed, from what I have seen he is much better than McFadden has shown. Why is Jefferson out? Is he hurt or is it performance related?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Is there some reason to be suspicious that Miles is not actually injured? Tons of guys get injured. Why would his in particular raise alarm bells? Is it because no one actually saw him leave a game due to injury?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I think something stinks with the Miles "Injury". Agreed, from what I have seen he is much better than McFadden has shown. Why is Jefferson out? Is he hurt or is it performance related?
    Truth is we know next to nothing about McFadden except for the fact he seems to be injury prone which in itself probably says a lot.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions