Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Jim Popp as GM in Toronto

Would Toronto Argonauts have any interest is Popp as a GM if he is out in Montreal?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    He's worse at finding QB's than what we have now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    He's worse at finding QB's than what we have now.
    Not bad at finding other talent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Would Toronto Argonauts have any interest is Popp as a GM if he is out in Montreal?
    He would have to have a no coach clause. lol

But the owners in Montreal seem to love Popp, so I don't see that happening. Montreal may have gotten lucky again by appointing Chapdelaine as HC. He had the look Sunday like he was in charge and appeared to be a confident Coach. The players seem to feed off that. The fact that he is francophone is icing on the cake in Montreal.
    I was thinking earlier in the year that if Milanovich was let go in Toronto he might land back in Montreal as a known name, but I don't see that happening now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Not bad at finding other talent.
    He was a pretty good GM - at one time - in finding FA import talent, and at drafting smart. Those days are long over now though as Poop progressed to fawning all over ex-NFL/all-American has-beens and over-hyped superstars (Ochocinco, Michael Sam for example) and his drafting has become average to weak, IMO. Average at best CFL GM now (all teams find some good new import talent plus make some good draft picks), plus enough of an ego clown to install himself (repeatedly) as HC after some of his own coaching hires bomb.

Wouldn't want Poop anywhere near this Argo team, thank-you; rather keep Barker around if that was the only other choice .... which it clearly isn't.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    He was a pretty good GM - at one time - in finding FA import talent, and at drafting smart. Those days are long over now though as Poop progressed to fawning all over ex-NFL/all-American has-beens and over-hyped superstars (Ochocinco, Michael Sam for example) and his drafting has become average to weak, IMO. Average at best CFL GM now (all teams find some good new import talent plus make some good draft picks), plus enough of an ego clown to install himself (repeatedly) as HC after some of his own coaching hires bomb.

Wouldn't want Poop anywhere near this Argo team, thank-you; rather keep Barker around if that was the only other choice .... which it clearly isn't.
    How about Ottawa Assistant GM Brock Sutherland? Seems to be an up and coming guy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    I certainly hope not.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Popp brings in a lot of older guys and has trouble managing the cap. I think his days of being one of the top GMs is over. What is Brendan Taman doing these days? He could still have a role in football except I wouldn't want him as the GM either.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Popp brings in a lot of older guys and has trouble managing the cap. I think his days of being one of the top GMs is over. What is Brendan Taman doing these days? He could still have a role in football except I wouldn't want him as the GM either.
    This is the issue. It is easy to talk about getting rid of Barker and Milanovich but there aren't a lot of available guys out there that I would rather have. My own feeling is that let's give Barker and Milanovich a chance to make the personnel/coaching changes they think are necessary - they have seemingly already started that today - and see if they can get back on the contending track in 2017. If they can't, you can dump them and the remaining year on their contracts at that point.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    This is the issue. It is easy to talk about getting rid of Barker and Milanovich but there aren't a lot of available guys out there that I would rather have. My own feeling is that let's give Barker and Milanovich a chance to make the personnel/coaching changes they think are necessary - they have seemingly already started that today - and see if they can get back on the contending track in 2017. If they can't, you can dump them and the remaining year on their contracts at that point.
    I have supported B&M up until this season and I do think a change is necessary however if that means bringing in Popp I would rather see the Argos stay the course and give Barker and Milanovich another shot at it.
    Popp is an asshole plain and simple and can stay in Montreal, Barker on the other hand strikes me as an honourable human being who I would rather see running the Argonauts.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    If they can't, you can dump them and the remaining year on their contracts at that point.
    I expect the glorious braintrust will be back next season... and if we see other season of this fecal football, the Argonauts are dead and buried in Toronto.