Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Holy cow. So...

Shaw - Spencer - Jones/Noel - Wylie + Durie/Coombs?

That's actually a pretty good looking group. Our depth is almost gone, but that isn't really a problem.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    I'm really going to miss the Kevin Elliot topspin on the football for every 1st down he caught....not!
    I was going to write that exactly. Good riddens and that stupid spinning ball. It was brutal when it was a blow out and we got 3 yards and he spun the ball.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Holy cow. So...

Shaw - Spencer - Jones/Noel - Wylie + Durie/Coombs?
    Yeah but Wylie and Kenny Shaw have proven to be studs and I expect them to step up even more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    WTF ???

The 4 headed scapegoat? I could see 2 of these guys getting cut maybe, but all 4 including a talent like Gurley who produces big plays / makes tough catches / scores TDs ?

Desperation / season over mode for Barker now? Who will get to play receiver? - gasp, not those NI types Jones & Noel maybe ?
    Gurley does produce big plays, and I am a bit surprised he was released. Having said that, he runs some sloppy routes. I mentioned this in the Winnipeg game day thread, that the first pick Lefevour threw which started the Bombers comeback was not on Lefevour, but that Gurley ran a really bad route.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Yeah but Wylie and Kenny Shaw have proven to be studs and I expect them to step up even more.
    Indeed. I actually think we'll win some games with these guys. And it will be great to get a look at Jones and/or Noel.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I have no issue with the releases, I just wish they were done earlier in the season. One thing that can't be overlooked here, is that despite the size of these receivers, the Argos seem to be the only team in the league that hasn't had success with their bubble screens. Blocking is a huge part of buying in to a team philosophy. The fact that these guys didn't do it should have been warning signs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    These issues must have been festering for quite some time which in itself is disappointing on many levels, shows lack of character in the players Toronto brought in and leaves you wondering how much the players respect and believe in the coaching staff??
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Didn't they cut 4 receivers though if you include Bates - and 3 of them have been starters a lot of the past 2 seasons? That's not "outside the box", it's an atom bomb drop of unprecedented proportion in CFL history maybe (name me another team that cut 3 starting receivers at one time late in the season, and when they still had a play-off shot?) ??? And BTW - is this move (cutting all 4 of those receivers ) confirmed anywhere? So what, Barker & Millanovich just all of a sudden came to the conclusion that all 4 of these guys shouldn't be on the roster ??? This Argo team is looking like a gong show to rival Poop and the Als at their worst the past couple of years.

We shall see who gets to play receiver now - Wylie could draw in to go with Shaw and Spencer; and Barker types always have some new American players either on the PR or on speed-dial. Jones & Noel both getting to start along with the Durie/Coombs spot still in place? - could be, maybe pigs will fly too.
    It's confirmed:

http://www.argonauts.ca/2016/10/03/a...ons-october-3/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I have no issue with the releases, I just wish they were done earlier in the season. One thing that can't be overlooked here, is that despite the size of these receivers, the Argos seem to be the only team in the league that hasn't had success with their bubble screens. Blocking is a huge part of buying in to a team philosophy. The fact that these guys didn't do it should have been warning signs.
    Well Kackert is a good blocker...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    You don't cut 4 guys to make a statement if you are serious about the playoff push. You cut 1 or 2 to be used as motivation for the other ones. You cut this many guys to make room for salary cap space to pay for your overpaid starter (Willy) and back up (Ray). Man, in the course of 3 weeks, the Argos have turned into a gong show just like the Al's were.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    You don't cut 4 guys to make a statement if you are serious about the playoff push. You cut 1 or 2 to be used as motivation for the other ones. You cut this many guys to make room for salary cap space to pay for your overpaid starter (Willy) and back up (Ray). Man, in the course of 3 weeks, the Argos have turned into a gong show just like the Al's were.
    So very true.

And now, moving over to the "Outlook" thread...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I don't know about that. Honestly, these guys were supposed to be the best receivers on the team, yet both Spencer and Shaw produce higher than they do. Salary cap space isn't an issue at this point in the season. Willy's big contract doesn't kick in until next season. Pretty obvious that unless the ball is going to them, they don't seem to care that much. Shaw may have got a penalty for a low block on Sunday, but at least he was hustling down field to attempt to spring Spencer. I don't think I've seen any of those guys attempt to block for their teammates.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    After these moves, I have a renewed interest in attending Monday's game against the Stampeders.
    The comedy factor should provide for an entertaining, rather than frustrating, beat-down by Calgary.

Ignore my post in the Als game thread offering my season seat for sale.
    I have to see this!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    After these moves, I have a renewed interest in attending Monday's game against the Stampeders.
    The comedy factor should provide for an entertaining beat-down they give to Calgary.
    Fixed. ;-)

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    The comedy factor should provide for an entertaining, rather than frustrating, beat-down by Calgary.

Ignore my post in the Als game thread offering my season seat for sale.
    I have to see this!
    I predict the Argos will win at least 1 of the 2 games vs the Stamps. We will see a proud performance from guys looking for an upset.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I predict the Argos will win at least 1 of the 2 games vs the Stamps. We will see a proud performance from guys looking for an upset.
    Argos vs. Stamps 2nd and 3rd stringers in a meaningless (for the Stamps) late game of the year should be real interesting. Unless the Stumps are gunning for the CFL best season record still?

I'd put the point spread at the Stumps favored by 20 or so. ;o)
    Last edited by OV Argo; 10-03-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Fixed. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Argos vs. Stamps 2nd and 3rd stringers in a meaningless (for the Stamps) late game of the year should be real interesting. Unless the Stumps are gunning for the CFL best season record still?

I'd put the point spread at the Stumps favored by 20 or so. ;o)
    To Ron and Gabe, I like your optimism!
    Completely unwarranted, but impressive nonetheless!

I'm obviously more with OV.
    For example, if I had to bet on whether the Argos win on Monday, or at least BLM and Jerome Messam don't play the fourth quarter of this game because the Stampeders are winning by a lot, well...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    +1

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos release Hazelton, Gurley and Elliott, their top three receivers last year
    Andrew Bucholtz By Andrew Bucholtz
    11 hours ago
    55 Yard Line

Kevin Elliott (L), Vidal Hazelton (C) and Tori Gurley (R) were all released by the Toronto Argonauts Monday. (CFL.ca.)

"In 2015, the Toronto Argonauts' top three receivers were a trio of talented rookies, Vidal Hazelton, Tori Gurley and Kevin Elliott. Those three receivers, dubbed "The Three Towers" by CFL.ca's Don Landry, looked likely to have the Argos set at the position for years to come, and that was part of why they let the Ticats outbid them for veteran receiver/returner Chad Owens in free agency. It didn't work out that way at all, though; in a relatively shocking move Monday evening, the Argos announced (a couple of hours after TSN's Matthew Scianitti first reported it) that they've released all three of Hazelton, Gurley and Elliott, plus fellow receiver Phil Bates. This release comes only a day after Toronto head coach Scott Milanovich went on a rant about a few unnamed players on his team:

"There are a couple of guys that maybe aren’t on board as much as they need to be,” Milanovich told reporters following Sunday’s game in Montreal. “It starts with the preparation, it starts with the attitude in the locker-room. Coaches, players, staff — everybody. We need to make sure it’s the right one. We’ve got to get the right people on the bus. That’s where we’re at at this point.”
    Milanovich's comments in the release also make it seem like attitude may have been a factor:

“Obviously these decisions are very difficult to make, but I believe they are in the best interest of this football team,” said Head Coach Scott Milanovich. “We remain committed to winning this year and making a final push for the playoffs.”
    The production these three guys put up last year was remarkable. Hazelton led the team with 803 receiving yards on 70 catches and had 10 touchdowns, earning both a selection as the Argos' rookie of the year and the divisional nomination for the league-wide award, while Gurley posted 791 yards and 10 touchdowns (tied for the CFL lead) on 58 catches and Elliott added 642 yards and eight touchdowns on 50 catches. However, things weren't going as well for them this year. Gurley and Elliott both missed time with injuries, and Hazelton was frequently a healthy scratch. Still, based on on-field production alone, this would be surprising; Gurley was the third-leading receiver on the team with 509 yards and led the Argos with five touchdowns despite playing in just nine games, while Hazelton and Elliott were fifth and sixth in yardage with 361 and 294 yards (and three and two touchdowns) respectively in eight games each. (Bates, by contrast, only played in two games and recorded three catches for 20 yards.)

This housecleaning gets more remarkable still when you consider these players' ages. They weren't the youngest rookies out there, as they all have some NFL experience, but Elliott is just 27 and Hazelton and Gurley are both 28. They should have plenty of good CFL seasons left from an age perspective, and they all showed they can post some significant production when called upon this year. That makes it very clear that this wasn't about their talent or their ability, and that will make it interesting to see if any other CFL team takes a look at them.

Lots of teams are out there looking for a playoff push, and a glut of proven CFL receivers just became available. Maybe in the right situation, one or more of these guys might find a perfect fit and resume their rise to CFL stardom. Other teams may be skeptical of adding them given Toronto's drastic action here, though. It's exceptionally rare to see teams cut young, talented and proven guys like this, and that rarity means there will be a lot of doubts hanging over these three guys going forward.

However, this also raises big questions about the Argonauts and their management. Is cutting three young, talented players like this really what's best for the club? A lot of that depends on what exactly these guys did, which we don't really know from outside, but it's worth pointing out that Montreal receivers Kenny Stafford and Duron Carter got in a much more public confrontation with quarterback Rakeem Cato a few weeks back, and all sides involved managed to get over it and come together to put up a spectacular performance against these Argos Sunday. Was releasing these three top players, who looked to be key components of the team's future so recently, really the best option? We'll find out, but it seems likely that Toronto's push towards the playoffs will get much more difficult without them."

I think the last paragraph speaks volume. Too bad the issues for the 3 came to this and the time and investment in three are lost. Chad Owens cut loose to fund these receivers comes back to haunt us too.

Banned
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Gurley was a out of this world Receiver, I predict he will be picked up by another team before the weekend if not today. I just heard that Scott M just named his boy starting QB for the rest of the season.Ray to be back up when he returns

Scott Milanovich will be out of coaching hopefully before 2017, assuming that the Argo Owners give a hoot one way or the other, certainly he wont be a HC again in the CFL once his stint here is done

Barker was a mistake from day 1, if we had Coach /GM along the lines of a Wally,Huff etc I am pretty sure under same situation they would have gone with Dan LEF and been very successful, not to mention they might have hung on to Harris or even Colaris

I suspect they will release Dan L shortly because they are so dumb
    Last edited by argoscott; 10-04-2016 at 10:22 AM.