Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

What the heck is going on in Ottawa ?

http://www.tsn.ca/seven-scorers-lead...yotes-1.587858

in front of a sparse crowd of 11,061 at Canadian Tire Centre
    Maybe they need to move downtown sooner than I thought.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Initially, I considered the opponent (Arizona) as a factor, but they didn't sell out against the Maple Leafs or Canadiens either. The team (like all the other Canadian clubs) did not make the playoffs last year, but I don't expect the other 6 Canadian teams to have a decline in attendance like that. It isn't an easy market either: the arena is in the middle of nowhere (it isn't central even if they've built around it) and it's hard sometimes in a city where 1/2 (probably exaggeration) of the population cheers for Toronto or Montreal.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    In my opinion, it almost looks like in all sports in general, attendance is on the decline. Not only talking about the Argos or Sens in this case, but typically I seem to see it all over. Maybe because hi-def tv's are so good now, the comfort of your own home, the cost of not only tickets but transportation and food/beer. I was looking at Leaf tickets on ticketmaster the other day with tickets available for every game (not just standing room tickets and this includes the Penguins/Oilers/Habs, who you would think would be total sell outs)...Even the world cup of hockey wasn't a total sell out. This isn't only in Canada, but the US as well...the Red Sox don't even sell out every game like they did before! I am also seeing, and myself purchased, Leaf tickets on ebay for BELOW face value many times (not a Leaf fan at all, but like to take my son when I can get a reasonable priced pair)

I have no info to back this just my 2 cents as to attendance declines in sports...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matchuk View Post
    In my opinion, it almost looks like in all sports in general, attendance is on the decline. Not only talking about the Argos or Sens in this case, but typically I seem to see it all over. Maybe because hi-def tv's are so good now, the comfort of your own home, the cost of not only tickets but transportation and food/beer. I was looking at Leaf tickets on ticketmaster the other day with tickets available for every game (not just standing room tickets and this includes the Penguins/Oilers/Habs, who you would think would be total sell outs)...Even the world cup of hockey wasn't a total sell out. This isn't only in Canada, but the US as well...the Red Sox don't even sell out every game like they did before! I am also seeing, and myself purchased, Leaf tickets on ebay for BELOW face value many times (not a Leaf fan at all, but like to take my son when I can get a reasonable priced pair)

I have no info to back this just my 2 cents as to attendance declines in sports...
    This is likely a factor too but Ottawa has had struggles in the past in selling tickets for the Senators since they moved out to Kanata. I have to admit that 11,061 seems very low though. It sounds like they need to get some lessons from the RedBlacks.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Yes, they need to get downtown ASAP. Even that won't solve everything.

A cliché I read on hockeyboards (and it applies elsewhere), what sells tickets is winning and hope. The Sens have neither right now. They're not good enough to contend, not bad enough for a top draft pick. In addition, Melnyk's money issues are affecting the team. He won't spend to the cap as he yet has high expectations for the team, so the fan base has lost confidence they'll make the moves to improve.

The Sens averaged over 18K the past two years so the thinking is they're profitable if you spend closer to the floor so they're spinning their tires. He won't sell or take on partners, plus word that the Desmarais has shown interest in the team and keep it in Ottawa.

This adds up IMO that the fans have really cutback sending a message to Melnyk, make improvements on the team or if he can't, time to move on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Yes, they need to get downtown ASAP. Even that won't solve everything.

A cliché I read on hockeyboards (and it applies elsewhere), what sells tickets is winning and hope. The Sens have neither right now. They're not good enough to contend, not bad enough for a top draft pick. In addition, Melnyk's money issues are affecting the team. He won't spend to the cap as he yet has high expectations for the team, so the fan base has lost confidence they'll make the moves to improve.

The Sens averaged over 18K the past two years so the thinking is they're profitable if you spend closer to the floor so they're spinning their tires. He won't sell or take on partners, plus word that the Desmarais has shown interest in the team and keep it in Ottawa.

This adds up IMO that the fans have really cutback sending a message to Melnyk, make improvements on the team or if he can't, time to move on.
    I agree, moving downtown wouldn't solve everything, but I think it would help. Also, IMO Melnyk should have sold to the Devcore Group, as they actually have a lot of money behind 'em.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    COST - of tickets especially = just laughably high for boring regular season NHL, and the whole game day experience for the Sens - getting gouged for parking, beer, food - = the biggest factor by far contributing to weak attendance there. Next would be an iffy to weak team and a moron owner Melnyk - not doing enough to add talent; a young star like McDavid or Matthews in the line-up would probably sell lots of tickets.

Moving downtown (LeBreton Flats) would help - be SRO just to see the new building for a few years anyways IMO; but long-term, the cost of going to NHL games is just too high (IMO) - same way that GC prices being outrageous gouges resulted in weak sales this year.