Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    You're joking right? Maybe some of us on here have said a few things, but please remind me of the time when Argos fans planned to go to TFC games and vowed to start up trouble including starting fights. When did Argos fans physically rip seats out of there spots? When have Argos fans been a public disgrace such as what we all saw when Montreal played here a few weeks ago? Yeah, Argos fans are the dicks.
    Or anti Argonaut banners at the games??
    Sense of entitlement in regards to BMO is staggering TBH.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'll defend the media establishment to a degree (generally; definitely not in regards to the article) and say that it cannot be easy to cover sports in a town like Toronto. The Argos are the last team in town to win a championship in 2012 and as we know many in the media dismiss that as non-significant. It probably isn't easy to be anything but overwhelmingly negative.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Or anti Argonaut banners at the games??
    Sense of entitlement in regards to BMO is staggering TBH.
    That was quite precious. I get their feeling of BMO being their home as they were there for a while. But as a public facility and one built with the option for a CFL conversion in the original agreement. It was a silly little thing to hold a grudge over. You can't control what you don't own, it also applies to us as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I honestly believe that when many of these writers cross over to the broadcasting world, their writing styles change to go more with their "entertaining" broadcast personalities.
    Jim Hunt was a frequent guest on Bob McCowan's radio show and never behaved in such a manner. He was too well respected to mess with either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The Toronto Star had one of their sports columnists write a column about the Argos for the first time this season and this was the crap that they wrote?
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisToronto View Post
    That was quite precious. I get their feeling of BMO being their home as they were there for a while. But as a public facility and one built with the option for a CFL conversion in the original agreement. It was a silly little thing to hold a grudge over. You can't control what you don't own, it also applies to us as well.
    Agreed Boris, if someone wants to cheer on TFC at BMO field have at it, but conversely Argo fans have the same right.
    Personally I think of BMO as the Argonauts home because that the team I'm interested in but the big difference is we (Argo supporters) respect the fact that TFC belongs there as well.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Agreed Boris, if someone wants to cheer on TFC at BMO field have at it, but conversely Argo fans have the same right.
    Personally I think of BMO as the Argonauts home because that the team I'm interested in but the big difference is we (Argo supporters) respect the fact that TFC belongs there as well.
    I've taken the approach of being an "adult" and not insulting their fans even during negative interactions on twitter. It would be too easy to respond back negatively, but then I'd be involved. I honestly don't care to.. I don't follow soccer, it does nothing for me. And oddly enough with a functioning remote control I can pretty much avoid soccer in my life.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Or at least made peace with the establishment in that regard.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Or at least made peace with the establishment in that regard.
    The stadium share is not going anywhere. What can be best hoped for is a improvement in the stadium turn around that would allow the interior of the stadium to feature what ever team is playing. Banners, flags, murals, statues.. what have you and be easily removed and replaced for the next team.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisToronto View Post
    The stadium share is not going anywhere. What can be best hoped for is a improvement in the stadium turn around that would allow the interior of the stadium to feature what ever team is playing. Banners, flags, murals, statues.. what have you and be easily removed and replaced for the next team.
    A reasonable enough compromise.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    A reasonable enough compromise.
    Reasonable is hardly agreeable to these days...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Jim Hunt was a frequent guest on Bob McCowan's radio show and never behaved in such a manner. He was too well respected to mess with either.
    True, but by the time Shaky was on the air, he became more of a part time writer, usually writing his stories with more of a lighter side approach.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Toronto Star had one of their sports columnists write a column about the Argos for the first time this season and this was the crap that they wrote?
    Do you think it was unsolicited from The Star and needing to fill columns on the cheap, they'll accept anything??

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    I'll add to this by pointing out that none of those teams should be using the non-name "FC".
    They should be using the non-name "SC" since they are playing in MLS, not MLF.

As for mocking the Roughriders/Rough Riders names, I always point out that there are three teams in the NCAA's South East Conference (SEC) named Tigers.
    The Toronto-wannabe Americans crowd usually shuts up when I mention this.
    Southeastern Conference, for the sake of accuracy. They also have two teams named Bulldogs.

The CFL East and West were also essentially two different, separate leagues until the 50s. It's not like one league had two Rider teams from the beginning. The playoff format didn't even get standardized for both divisions until the 70s. The NFL also had some weird playoff format anomalies that lasted until the early 70s.

Two years ago, Cox reportedly agreed to terms with TSN only a day or two before he signed with Rogers. Not that I'm questioning his integrity.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I still don't have a problem with the article tbh. The conclusion is probably accurate.

As some have pointed out though, it didn't have to be written.
    I believe that blaming Rogers for this is inaccurate.
    I really think that Rogers has backed off being hostile to the Argonauts/CFL this year.
    But Cox himself seems to have a personal hate for the Argonauts and uses every opportunity to dump on them.
    He bears responsibility for this article solely imo.

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Damian Cox blocked me after I called him on something. No name calling, no insults, just a friendly reply.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Maybe "tabloid" journalism is the direction the Toronto Star is looking towards to turn this boat?

Torstar Corp (TSb). The owner of circulation daily newspaper reported a bigger-than-expected adjusted third- quarter loss as it struggles with slumping advertising revenue. Operating revenue also fell, by 12.6 percent to C$162.1 million. Torstar reported net income attributable to shareholders of C$1.4 million, or 2 Canadian cents per share, for the quarter, including a gain of C$21.8 million from the sale of the Toronto Star's printing plant.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Cox like Brunt is a puke, no credibility.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I was fuming when I first read this column. I have now calmed down, and read it a few more times. My take: Cox's conclusion that TFC has "overtaken" the Argos is really ridiculous. Earlier this season, they were barely being mentioned in the press. Quite rightly, now that they have had some success and actually won in the playoffs, there is no surprise that interest is building. It is true, that TFC has drawn larger crowds, but their total fan base has always been smaller, and the tv numbers have been abysmal. Also, i recall many times viewing TFC hilights and seeing many many empty seats. They have done a good job in the past couple of years recruiting some bigger name players, are playing well as a team, and are reaping the benefits. Good for them. Having said that, what Cox says about the Argos situation is not untrue. They mistakenly believed that BMO would be a panacea for all ills and it hasn't been. A perfect storm of issues coming together has made this season to be a disaster: lousy scheduling, overpriced tickets(?), poor on-field performance, Grey Cup ticket fiasco, some questionable management decisions etc. Let's be realistic. In the Toronto market, with the Leafs, Jays and Raptors as the big three, the Argos are never going to get that attention. As far as who has surpassed who for "4th place", I say who cares? If our average attendance was around 16K, then really the issue is finding another 8 - 9 K fans to fill the seats. That is not an impossible goal. And while Cox is true, that the CFL doesn't necessarily have the "marquee" players other leagues have, we still have great athletes who are also interesting, multi-dimensional people. Look at that article in the Star just this week about Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and his passion for art and outreach to community. Or the recent story about Chad Kackert singing songs on his guitar at an open-mic night at a local pub. These are people I could sit down and have a beer with. And they would let me. They are generally humble, grateful for the opportunities they have and very approachable. Can anyone see themselves even getting close to Kyle Lowery, Jose Bautista or Auston Matthews? Not a chance. As far as I am concerned the CFL is special. It is the only professional sport that unites all of Canada, and that is played on our terms. We need to celebrate that and its rich history, and try finding about ten thousand more loyal and proud Canadians to share our passion for this great game. And then we need to put a competitive team on the field and all will be well. After that, all those others, Damien Cox included, can go f*#k themselves.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I was fuming when I first read this column. I have now calmed down, and read it a few more times. My take: Cox's conclusion that TFC has "overtaken" the Argos is really ridiculous. Earlier this season, they were barely being mentioned in the press. Quite rightly, now that they have had some success and actually won in the playoffs, there is no surprise that interest is building. It is true, that TFC has drawn larger crowds, but their total fan base has always been smaller, and the tv numbers have been abysmal. Also, i recall many times viewing TFC hilights and seeing many many empty seats. They have done a good job in the past couple of years recruiting some bigger name players, are playing well as a team, and are reaping the benefits. Good for them. Having said that, what Cox says about the Argos situation is not untrue. They mistakenly believed that BMO would be a panacea for all ills and it hasn't been. A perfect storm of issues coming together has made this season to be a disaster: lousy scheduling, overpriced tickets(?), poor on-field performance, Grey Cup ticket fiasco, some questionable management decisions etc. Let's be realistic. In the Toronto market, with the Leafs, Jays and Raptors as the big three, the Argos are never going to get that attention. As far as who has surpassed who for "4th place", I say who cares? If our average attendance was around 16K, then really the issue is finding another 8 - 9 K fans to fill the seats. That is not an impossible goal. And while Cox is true, that the CFL doesn't necessarily have the "marquee" players other leagues have, we still have great athletes who are also interesting, multi-dimensional people. Look at that article in the Star just this week about Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and his passion for art and outreach to community. Or the recent story about Chad Kackert singing songs on his guitar at an open-mic night at a local pub. These are people I could sit down and have a beer with. And they would let me. They are generally humble, grateful for the opportunities they have and very approachable. Can anyone see themselves even getting close to Kyle Lowery, Jose Bautista or Auston Matthews? Not a chance. As far as I am concerned the CFL is special. It is the only professional sport that unites all of Canada, and that is played on our terms. We need to celebrate that and its rich history, and try finding about ten thousand more loyal and proud Canadians to share our passion for this great game. And then we need to put a competitive team on the field and all will be well. After that, all those others, Damien Cox included, can go f*#k themselves.
    Love it. Great post/rant.
    It's us vs the rest of the country