Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Posted two days ago in its own thread sir.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    who needs Chris Berman when we have Rod Black. :/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    It wasn't only the Grey Cup that struggled to sell high-priced seats in Toronto. There were rows and rows of empty seats at last night's thrilling Canada/Slovakia World Junior Hockey Championship game at Air Canada Centre and no reason to think that we won't see a repeat of that tomorrow when Latvia pays a visit to play Canada. Furthermore, even the Leafs are struggling to sell out their outdoor game against Detroit at BMO Field: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/t...cting-sellout/
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    who needs Chris Berman when we have Rod Black. :/
    Automatic winner of best joke of the year!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    It wasn't only the Grey Cup that struggled to sell high-priced seats in Toronto. There were rows and rows of empty seats at last night's thrilling Canada/Slovakia World Junior Hockey Championship game at Air Canada Centre and no reason to think that we won't see a repeat of that tomorrow when Latvia pays a visit to play Canada. Furthermore, even the Leafs are struggling to sell out their outdoor game against Detroit at BMO Field: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/t...cting-sellout/
    Yup, let the double-standards begin.

It just shows that even the Leafs are not immune to a backlash to being gouged. Mind you I wonder if part of the problem here is people assume it will be sold out and won't even try. Even the heritage classic in Winnipeg had this issue.

The World Juniors on the other hand is just atrocious. For tomorrow's game vs. Latvia with Lots of tickets left, the start at 84.00 plus fees. No way would I even consider it...and it's worse in Montreal....yet crickets from the media.

I'm still looking out for a Pizza Pizza promo for either of these events lol...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Novelty of the outdoor NHL games starting to disappear IMO, we went to the Outdoor AHL (Marlies- Bulldogs) game at Ivor Wynne in 2012 and froze our asses off.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yup: Where are all the media types who wrote that "the Grey Cup should not come back to Toronto for years"? They could easily say that about the World Juniors, or about the outdoor game. But they won't-- one set of standards for the CFL/Argos, another for everyone else.

There's always a reason to find to kick the CFL, but never for other sports/leagues. Imagine if, at the outset of a CFL playoff game, someone realized that the field was not set up correctly, and the game was postponed as someone painted on the correct lines in the most embarrassing fashion possible. That would FOREVER be marked as the ultimate "bush league" moment, and replayed/discussed/repeated infinitely. But hey, its OK if it is the MLS, because they're legit, right?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtownfan View Post
    Yup: Where are all the media types who wrote that "the Grey Cup should not come back to Toronto for years"? They could easily say that about the World Juniors, or about the outdoor game. But they won't-- one set of standards for the CFL/Argos, another for everyone else.
    Hiding in plain sight?

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/25...nneys-guidance

http://www.tsn.ca/tickets-still-avai...assic-1.639810
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Level
    i was at the rangers/islander outdoor game at yankee stadium a few yrs back. they did it a few days earlier with the devils/rangers at yankee stadium . The NHL has milked this game to oblivion

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    i was at the rangers/islander outdoor game at yankee stadium a few yrs back. they did it a few days earlier with the devils/rangers at yankee stadium . The NHL has milked this game to oblivion
    Agreed.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    For sure, but I think NBC loves it which is good enough for Bettman.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    For sure, but I think NBC loves it which is good enough for Bettman.
    Well Bettman was hired for the sole purpose of making money from US TV deals. As far as that goes, I think hes actually been a failure, but the BOG has kept him on for more than 20 years for some reason, so they must like what he's doing. Everyone blames Bettman for everything, but forget its the BOG decision to keep him there or not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Whenever MLSE is involved, PT Barnum had it right with his classic line which clearly can refer to the population of the city of Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Yup, let the double-standards begin.

It just shows that even the Leafs are not immune to a backlash to being gouged. Mind you I wonder if part of the problem here is people assume it will be sold out and won't even try. Even the heritage classic in Winnipeg had this issue.

The World Juniors on the other hand is just atrocious. For tomorrow's game vs. Latvia with Lots of tickets left, the start at 84.00 plus fees. No way would I even consider it...and it's worse in Montreal....yet crickets from the media.

I'm still looking out for a Pizza Pizza promo for either of these events lol...
    i am a sucker and bought us/canada tickets for tomorrow night...mind you, they were an xmas present for my kids...we were at the us/russia game yesterday, and they offered everyone in attendance 20% off any ticket for the canada game that night (with their us/russia ticket stub)...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Whenever MLSE is involved, PT Barnum had it right with his classic line which clearly can refer to the population of the city of Toronto.
    Just because MLSE believes a sucker is born every minute, it doesn't appear as though the population of Toronto is buying it. They may think everything they touch is gold, based upon their results with the Leafs, which are really just results that were made by the fans love of the Leafs, but reality is hitting them in their face hard. Lets see if they begin to get it.

Back in the 80s, the Leafs sold out every game, even though they sucked. But you could still get tickets to a game for a relatively affordable price. When the 90s came the Leafs started being successful. In the very early 90s you would still get made fun of being a Leaf fan, they were that bad. But after that 93 run, everything changed. People jumped back on the bandwagon and haven't jumped off since, even through the very lean years of late. It became a really big deal to go to a Leaf game, and MLSE ran with it once they got the reigns of the organization. They are a huge organization with loads of cash, that they really didn't have to earn, so what do they really know about something that doesn't already make money? Their model seems to be price everything high, and the sucker born every minute in Toronto will buy it. How far does that really go? I think we are finding out about now.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    I went to a few WJ games last time around, got tix cheap second hand. Thought about buying some this year. The prices they're asking I can't and won't pay. Sadly, as I actually would have gone to a bunch of the games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post

Back in the 80s, the Leafs sold out every game, even though they sucked. .
    Not true. I went to a lot of games in the 80's, sat in the Greys, and often walked up to the box office to buy tickets at game time. On a weeknight, if they weren't playing a big draw, such as Gretzky or Montreal, the corner Grey sections were absolutely empty. Saturday night was a different story.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Not true. I went to a lot of games in the 80's, sat in the Greys, and often walked up to the box office to buy tickets at game time. On a weeknight, if they weren't playing a big draw, such as Gretzky or Montreal, the corner Grey sections were absolutely empty. Saturday night was a different story.
    Fair enough, but almost always full if not always. I used to religiously read the box score and knew the full attendance by heart, and it was something like 16,144, whatever it was, and it was ALMOST always that number. It basically sold out and therefore made Ballard a lot of money, but it wasn't like it was in the 90s. But my point is, you never really had to struggle to market the Leafs in Toronto. Even if a few greys went unsold, which really even never happened, because guys like me and you would buy them on game day. But it was never like what happened in the 90s, where the Leaf brand really took off. MLSE inherited that, they never built it. I'm not really convinced they really know how to build anything.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Fair enough, but almost always full if not always. I used to religiously read the box score and knew the full attendance by heart, and it was something like 16,144, whatever it was, and it was ALMOST always that number. It basically sold out and therefore made Ballard a lot of money, but it wasn't like it was in the 90s. But my point is, you never really had to struggle to market the Leafs in Toronto. Even if a few greys went unsold, which really even never happened, because guys like me and you would buy them on game day. But it was never like what happened in the 90s, where the Leaf brand really took off. MLSE inherited that, they never built it. I'm not really convinced they really know how to build anything.
    I would say that MLSE does know how to build a brand or better expand it, i.e. the rise of Raptors. With help of some good seasons. But they certainly don't know how to build winners. That they've shown over and over again.