Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisToronto View Post
    I would say that MLSE does know how to build a brand or better expand it, i.e. the rise of Raptors. With help of some good seasons. But they certainly don't know how to build winners. That they've shown over and over again.
    I'm not sure the Raptors are a good example. Did they really build the Raptor brand? Besides maybe the last season, have you ever had a problem getting a Raptor ticket? Of course they can market something, they have more money then you or I combined will ever see in 10 lifetimes, but they never convinced me to be a Raptor fan. I admit I slightly cheered them on when they were in the playoffs, but only because they were a Toronto team. I did the same with TFC. It had nothing to do with MLSE. But that's just me.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    I'm not sure the Raptors are a good example. Did they really build the Raptor brand? Besides maybe the last season, have you ever had a problem getting a Raptor ticket? Of course they can market something, they have more money then you or I combined will ever see in 10 lifetimes, but they never convinced me to be a Raptor fan. I admit I slightly cheered them on when they were in the playoffs, but only because they were a Toronto team. I did the same with TFC. It had nothing to do with MLSE. But that's just me.
    Fair points. I have to give them credit for the We the North thing... I personally hate it.. The teacher in me knows it's both grammatically and factually incorrect but it did take off for them. I'd say they did have something to do with the presence of the team increasing in this town. I remember I time when they were pretty much an afterthought. But that could also have to do with actually being a contender as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Fair points. I have to give them credit for the We the North thing... I personally hate it.. The teacher in me knows it's both grammatically and factually incorrect but it did take off for them. I'd say they did have something to do with the presence of the team increasing in this town. I remember I time when they were pretty much an afterthought. But that could also have to do with actually being a contender as well.
    We the North, which as you pointed out is so grammatically wrong, was only created after they made the playoffs. I guess you are right that it did something to raise the profile of the team. But really if they raised that grammatically incorrect banner when they were winning .356 would it mean anything? To me anyhow, it meant nothing, since most of the players were from the US, southern states at that, just a guess I don't really care. That abomination of language did nothing for me, if not turn me off. But I know I'm now in the minority for "unimportant" things like that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Fair enough, but almost always full if not always. I used to religiously read the box score and knew the full attendance by heart, and it was something like 16,144, whatever it was, and it was ALMOST always that number. It basically sold out and therefore made Ballard a lot of money, but it wasn't like it was in the 90s. But my point is, you never really had to struggle to market the Leafs in Toronto. Even if a few greys went unsold, which really even never happened, because guys like me and you would buy them on game day. But it was never like what happened in the 90s, where the Leaf brand really took off. MLSE inherited that, they never built it. I'm not really convinced they really know how to build anything.
    The peak was 16,485 from 68-81 after Ballard and Stafford Smythe narrowed the seats. Then capacity decreased when they added private boxes.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    We the North, which as you pointed out is so grammatically wrong, was only created after they made the playoffs. I guess you are right that it did something to raise the profile of the team. But really if they raised that grammatically incorrect banner when they were winning .356 would it mean anything? To me anyhow, it meant nothing, since most of the players were from the US, southern states at that, just a guess I don't really care. That abomination of language did nothing for me, if not turn me off. But I know I'm now in the minority for "unimportant" things like that.
    I am with you.. That slogan drives me crazy, it's such bad grammar. Also we are not the most northern team geographically.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I am with you.. That slogan drives me crazy, it's such bad grammar. Also we are not the most northern team geographically.
    For consistency, I trust that you two refer to the NHL team as the "Toronto Maple Leaves"?

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    For consistency, I trust that you two refer to the NHL team as the "Toronto Maple Leaves"?
    For sake of consistency I try to not refer to them at all.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    The peak was 16,485 from 68-81 after Ballard and Stafford Smythe narrowed the seats. Then capacity decreased when they added private boxes.
    I think it was 15,720 by the end or something like that.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The Raptors were popular in 2001 when they had their little playoff run too. They are popular as long as they are winning. If they have three losing seasons in a row, nobody will be running around saying, "We The North."
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    As a teacher, do you recall the famous Shakespeare battle speech: "But we in it shall be remembered; We few, we happy few, we band of brothers."? By dropping the verb and making just the noun phrase, it's grammatically correct in Early Modern English, which we speak today. (Used from Raptors Republic)

The "We" probably should have a comma after it. With today's hashtag and Twitter trends, the comma would be lost and confusing. In fact, much grammar is getting destroyed by online language nowadays.

The Raptors are Canada's team, the most Northern Country. The Great White North. Nothing about it is un factual, even if a few city's might be more Northern than Toronto.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    As a teacher, do you recall the famous Shakespeare battle speech: "But we in it shall be remembered; We few, we happy few, we band of brothers."? By dropping the verb and making just the noun phrase, it's grammatically correct in Early Modern English, which we speak today. (Used from Raptors Republic)

The "We" probably should have a comma after it. With today's hashtag and Twitter trends, the comma would be lost and confusing. In fact, much grammar is getting destroyed by online language nowadays.

The Raptors are Canada's team, the most Northern Country. The Great White North. Nothing about it is un factual, even if a few city's might be more Northern than Toronto.
    Portland is even more North and kinda played with the We the Northerner slogan. I get that it's the only NBA team in Canada but I would still say that the Blue Jays is not "Canada's" teameven if it's the only MLB team left.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Speaking for Portland, you can have the slogan. "Northernness" isn't a trait that's important here.

I was going to say something about Seattle being the undisputed northern team, but *cough* just learned that they haven't existed for eight years. Can you tell that I'm not a basketball fan?

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Are they Canada's team? They're the only one in Canada, that for sure. Like I said I find it slogan very unappealing. Granted am I very very casual Raptors/NBA/Basketball fan.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:

Level
    Are they Canada's team? They're the only one in Canada, that for sure. Like I said I find it slogan very unappealing. Granted am I very very casual Raptors/NBA/Basketball fan.
    No, they are an American basketball team that plays In Canada. They are not Canadian. Lets not pretend they are by calling them Canadian anything.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's a marketing tactic, and one I cannot blame the Raptors for trying to push.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    No, they are an American basketball team that plays In Canada. They are not Canadian. Lets not pretend they are by calling them Canadian anything.
    My reference was in terms of do they represent the nation vs. the city. Not so much the nationality of the players or the league. I have to say the whole Toronto teams represent Canada thing is very annoying and I'm a Torontonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    It's a marketing tactic, and one I cannot blame the Raptors for trying to push.
    No you can't but I can certainly be annoyed with the MLSE for pushing that angle.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    My reference was in terms of do they represent the nation vs. the city. Not so much the nationality of the players or the league. I have to say the whole Toronto teams represent Canada thing is very annoying and I'm a Torontonian.

No you can't but I can certainly be annoyed with the MLSE for pushing that angle.
    I still don't understand why a poster (Deerkeeper), who has admitted on these very forums his disinterest and dislike of the Raptors and basketball in general, continues to comment on the subject. As a public service reminder, it's OK to follow other sports while in the slow Argonauts off season.

The Raptors (Owned by Canadians and play home games in Canada BTW) play in the highest level of the sport and are the countries only franchise that does so. They are Canada's team by default (much like the Jays), whether you like it or not. To their credit though, the team has had successful pre-season games in Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver the last few seasons, so they are definitely exposing the brand.

There are currently 12 Canadians in the NBA. Not a great number, but much improved from few or none, a relative short time ago. Surprisingly, the Raptors have one (Cory Joseph), on their team and another (Brady Heslip) on their developmental squad (Raptors 905, who play in Mississauga).

To give a little more backstory to the "We The North" brand; There has always been a general consensus among Raptor fans that the NBA mistreats the team with unfair Christmas schedules, afternoon playoff games, referees favoring American teams and stars, to name a few examples. Whether true or not, and rather ignore it, the team decided to embrace it and create a culture where they are the outsiders, who get no love but win anyway. We do it our way, "We The North". It was a brilliant marketing campaign, that the fans took to immediately. Bus groups invaded visiting cities, with a friendly gang mentality, whenever the Raptors played. Along with team success, it became a cool place to play for American players, who normally would have no interest.

Sorry this thread became derailed to Bball, but I guess the marketing aspect still applies. How about that Grey Cup 2016!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm far from the biggest basketball fan out there but the "We The North" campaign is brilliant marketing by the Raptors.
    As ArgoZ correctly pointed out the campaign has served as a rally cry for the Raptor faithful to which it has worked beautifully.
    Imagine if the CFL had come up with the same slogan we'd all think it was genius plain and simple.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Imagine if the CFL had come up with the same slogan we'd all think it was genius plain and simple.
    Our balls are bigger was brilliant.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I'm far from the biggest basketball fan out there but the "We The North" campaign is brilliant marketing by the Raptors.
    As ArgoZ correctly pointed out the campaign has served as a rally cry for the Raptor faithful to which it has worked beautifully.
    Radically Canadian.