Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Calgary Stampeders with their Seattle Seahawks moment at the goal line.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Today's game and the 89 Hamilton-Saskatchewan game are #1 and #1A on my best ever list. On the down side we just stopped in at a pub for a quick one after the game and the majority of the people there had no idea of who was playing or even that their city was hosting the game. It is so unbelievably frustrating. Can't see Toronto hosting again for a very long time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Great game, cheered for the Eastern representative, got the feeling Stamps fans thought they had it in the bag.
    Good on Ottawa!!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

New Fan
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    And in Liberty Village post-game at the bars it was Grey Cup madness. The ugly, negative, counter-community opinion pieces that (normally fine) sportswriters Kelly and Arthur wrote this weekend are moot. Toronto can host a great game, and festival. Most people in this city don't even know the name of the big lake on the south side of the city. Let's not ever let this idea prevail that Toronto is not for the CFL. It is, and that festival, concerts, tailgate and game prove it. What a night. One of the greatest spectacles I've witnessed, and worth every dollar. Special thanks to the eight, young, unaccompanied teenagers in our row that just lit it up, knew the game, screamed insanely throughout, and stayed for the GC presentation. This is your league now.

Boatman
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    Today's game and the 89 Hamilton-Saskatchewan game are #1 and #1A on my best ever list. On the down side we just stopped in at a pub for a quick one after the game and the majority of the people there had no idea of who was playing or even that their city was hosting the game. It is so unbelievably frustrating. Can't see Toronto hosting again for a very long time.
    Agreed. B.C. over Baltimore was a big one too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by torontois View Post
    And in Liberty Village post-game at the bars it was Grey Cup madness. The ugly, negative, counter-community opinion pieces that (normally fine) sportswriters Kelly and Arthur wrote this weekend are moot. Toronto can host a great game, and festival. Most people in this city don't even know the name of the big lake on the south side of the city. Let's not ever let this idea prevail that Toronto is not for the CFL. It is, and that festival, concerts, tailgate and game prove it. What a night. One of the greatest spectacles I've witnessed, and worth every dollar. Special thanks to the eight, young, unaccompanied teenagers in our row that just lit it up, knew the game, screamed insanely throughout, and stayed for the GC presentation. This is your league now.
    Yes, the LARGE silent minority that supports the CFL in the GTA are not welcome to comment on the league by the mainstream media. They came out in force yesterday and were part of the biggest party in Toronto this year.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds Double Blue View Post
    ...the majority of the people there had no idea of who was playing or even that their city was hosting the game. It is so unbelievably frustrating...
    Once you get a block or two away from the venue, isn't it like that for any event? Why would it be "unbelievably frustrating" for you? Not to pick on just you and this one comment as it seems to be a common theme with some here, but I don't understand the strange and really kind of childish attitude some here have of hating anyone and everyone who isn't as enthusiastic about the same type of sports (or entertainment) that they happen to like. Do you hear things like that said by others getting angry at the whole city, maybe like "People in Toronto are such idiots for not getting as excited about (boxing, horse racing, lacrosse, or insert name of other sport here) as I do"? If there's a music act you really like and you get to see them at some place where only 150 show up, does it stop you from going and enjoying it (maybe as much or more than seeing them 30 years ago in a 15,000 seat arena)? Why get angry at the whole city if you choose to adopt a Debbie Downer attitude?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Awesome game the atmosphere at the stadium is one I have not seen there before.
    Most of the crowd on my side were for the RB.
    The game does remind me of the other 89 thriller, but I wasn't at the dome then.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    Definitely the best Grey Cup I've seen in my 40+ years of watching the CFL!
    And you didn't want the east vs west matchup this year.

It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    On a side note, with the fact that Ottawa was so quick to win a championship after the league expansion, anyone think this may be a good sign for a possible 10th team out east? The fact that a new team doesn't have to get beat up for years may be a very good selling point to any would be groups looking to start up a team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    On a side note, with the fact that Ottawa was so quick to win a championship after the league expansion, anyone think this may be a good sign for a possible 10th team out east? The fact that a new team doesn't have to get beat up for years may be a very good selling point to any would be groups looking to start up a team.

Yes - good point.

Adding a 10th team is THE single biggest thing the CFL could do to improve & grow. Shoulda happened years ago and Atlantic Canada would rally from all over to support a team there IMO. Yeah - small little detail about lack of a stadium and owners, but I believe a CFL Commish & BOG with vision would have been doing everything in their powers to make this happen - and I also believe there has been no such effort.

Another side-note about possible expansion: almost guarantee that some CFL GOBs, and their dupes in the media, would be calling for lowering the ratio to make for less NIs (Nationals) on CFL rosters and more of their fave American players instead - just not enough Canadian talent to go around to an extra team, the gobs would chant & their sheep would bleat. Well, Ottawa just won the GC - great game - in playing 10 or 11 NI starters, rather than the just 7 need apply that most CFL teams subscribe to, and Canadian talent was prominent on both teams. Not enough Canadian talent my @$$.

Second biggest thing the CFL could do IMO = repatriate the league. More Canadian players on rosters and start hiring more Canadian football people to run CFL teams - Ottawa just won the GC with a Canadian GM and a bunch of Canadian coaches on their staff. The Vanier Cup was a great exciting game once again too - small crowd in Hamilton for that though - as sad/embarrassing as some of the paltry crowds for Argo home games this season - as Canadian football continues to struggle for support and respect in much of this wannabe media led country. Stick it your @**es, wannabes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Adding a 10th team is THE single biggest thing the CFL could do to improve & grow. Shoulda happened years ago and Atlantic Canada would rally from all over to support a team there IMO. Yeah - small little detail about lack of a stadium and owners, but I believe a CFL Commish & BOG with vision would have been doing everything in their powers to make this happen - and I also believe there has been no such effort.
    While I agree a 10th team in Atlantic Canada would be fantastic, what exactly is in the "powers" of the commissioner and BoG to make it happen? They can't force someone to build a stadium (at least $150M, likely much higher than that to have good revenue potential). They can lobby the Irvings or whomever until the lobsters come home, but unless and until some level of govt thinks it's worth funding a stadium that might be used 30-40 times per year max, no team is going to be created out there.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    It's going to go down as one of the best Grey Cups ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    And you didn't want the east vs west matchup this year.

Smart guy.

I do wonder how the playoffs would have gone if the teams were ranked according to regular season results rather than east/west seedings.

6 teams in the playoffs.
    Top two teams (Calgary and B.C.) get a bye.
    3rd seed (Winnipeg) hosts 6th seed (Hamilton).
    4th seed (Edmonton) hosts 5th seed (Ottawa).

Hmm...

Nonetheless, best Grey Cup game I have ever watched, and further proof of my contention that anything can happen in CFL playoffs. (I just don't agree with the seedings.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    Smart guy.

I do wonder how the playoffs would have gone if the teams were ranked according to regular season results rather than east/west seedings.

6 teams in the playoffs.
    Top two teams (Calgary and B.C.) get a bye.
    3rd seed (Winnipeg) hosts 6th seed (Hamilton).
    4th seed (Edmonton) hosts 5th seed (Ottawa).

Hmm...

Nonetheless, best Grey Cup game I have ever watched, and further proof of my contention that anything can happen in CFL playoffs. (I just don't agree with the seedings.)
    Calgary may have saved the blowout of BC for Grey Cup...in a likely half empty stadium...and nobody would have wanted to see that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    While I agree a 10th team in Atlantic Canada would be fantastic, what exactly is in the "powers" of the commissioner and BoG to make it happen? They can't force someone to build a stadium (at least $150M, likely much higher than that to have good revenue potential). They can lobby the Irvings or whomever until the lobsters come home, but unless and until some level of govt thinks it's worth funding a stadium that might be used 30-40 times per year max, no team is going to be created out there.

Lets' see - here's IMO what a CFL Commish and BOG (spell it backwards - get it?) with some vision and guts (instead of being myopic cheapskates) could have possibly been doing - for the last 3 DECADES or so - to try to get a CFL team somewhere in Atlantic Canada (Halifax, but maybe have one or 2 home games a year in Moncton where they have held CFl games):

Constantly, non-stop, round the clock sort of thing - lobby all 3 levels (Feds, Provincial & Municipal) about building a large, multi-use stadium for the area that could house a CFL team. That would take lots of no-quit effort - build all sorts of connections and bridges and contacts with the entire region. If a billionaire owner like the Irvings ain't interested, then try to put together a group of rich guys who love football and the idea (see Ottawa RedBlacks and their revamped Lansdowne - great facility and large crowds for RedBlacks games, plus soccer, plus big CIS Panda game football crowds, plus big concerts held there). As an extra incentive - the GOB offer a ZERO dollars / no gouge expansion fee - because the league will be built stronger & richer with a 10 team (extra game a week on TV, big news and prestige with expansion, more revenue/marketing with the new team and league progressing) CFL, and because they get this and don't need a mickey mouse expansion fee to join their former little myopic clique.

OH but that's wayyyyyy to much to ask for - a CFL led by a smart & progressive Commish and BOG - so GOB it is and shall remain instead.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Nice seeing Mitchell being butthurt over the play calling late in the game. Also the fact he admits he was mentally weak in thinking the game was over. (Thus why he sucked on OT when he was needed to step up)

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-must-see/video...to-win~1004705

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Lets' see - here's IMO what a CFL Commish and BOG (spell it backwards - get it?) with some vision and guts (instead of being myopic cheapskates) could have possibly been doing - for the last 3 DECADES or so - to try to get a CFL team somewhere in Atlantic Canada (Halifax, but maybe have one or 2 home games a year in Moncton where they have held CFl games):

Constantly, non-stop, round the clock sort of thing - lobby all 3 levels (Feds, Provincial & Municipal) about building a large, multi-use stadium for the area that could house a CFL team. That would take lots of no-quit effort - build all sorts of connections and bridges and contacts with the entire region. If a billionaire owner like the Irvings ain't interested, then try to put together a group of rich guys who love football and the idea (see Ottawa RedBlacks and their revamped Lansdowne - great facility and large crowds for RedBlacks games, plus soccer, plus big CIS Panda game football crowds, plus big concerts held there). As an extra incentive - the GOB offer a ZERO dollars / no gouge expansion fee - because the league will be built stronger & richer with a 10 team (extra game a week on TV, big news and prestige with expansion, more revenue/marketing with the new team and league progressing) CFL, and because they get this and don't need a mickey mouse expansion fee to join their former little myopic clique.

OH but that's wayyyyyy to much to ask for - a CFL led by a smart & progressive Commish and BOG - so GOB it is and shall remain instead.

They could have done all that. There would still be no stadium because there is little in it for the taxpayers who would have to pay for it. Building a stadium for rich guys who like football is not a politically saleable proposition anymore in Canada. And especially not for a sport that has 10 games a year -- multiply it by colleges and even high schools and the odd stadium-sized concert (in a region that can maybe support one of those per year) and you're up to maybe 40 dates. The economics just aren't there, sorry to say.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    They could have done all that. There would still be no stadium because there is little in it for the taxpayers who would have to pay for it. Building a stadium for rich guys who like football is not a politically saleable proposition anymore in Canada. And especially not for a sport that has 10 games a year -- multiply it by colleges and even high schools and the odd stadium-sized concert (in a region that can maybe support one of those per year) and you're up to maybe 40 dates. The economics just aren't there, sorry to say.

You believe Atlantic Canada currently gets only one major music concert a year ??? And a larger venue could not lead to more ?

IF all 3 levels of government - especially working together on the same page - want something bad enough, they find a way. Throw in some financial and other business smarts assistance from some sharp local entrepeneurs, and the project gathers more steam.

The economics ARE there if somebody like government and a business group say they are. How many dates a year do you think are booked at the revamped stadium in Ottawa now? How bout at Tim Horton's Field in the Hammer?; or the new stadium in the Peg?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    You believe Atlantic Canada currently gets only one major music concert a year ??? And a larger venue could not lead to more ?

IF all 3 levels of government - especially working together on the same page - want something bad enough, they find a way. Throw in some financial and other business smarts assistance from some sharp local entrepeneurs, and the project gathers more steam.

The economics ARE there if somebody like government and a business group say they are. How many dates a year do you think are booked at the revamped stadium in Ottawa now? How bout at Tim Horton's Field in the Hammer?; or the new stadium in the Peg?
    You're answering you own argument. There is no stadium there right now because nobody of note wants one there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You're answering you own argument. There is no stadium there right now because nobody of note wants one there.
    Agreed.

Just like there was no CFL football team in Ottawa for a number of years after the Renegades folded; but the 3 new RedBlacks owners (local rich businessmen Shenkman, Ruddy, and what's his name) + their OSEG business partner Jeff Hunt WERE all in and around and working in Ottawa. AND the old Lansdowne Stadium + the entire park/site there was in need of a major renovation and face-lift - the City knew this and wanted to re-develop a prime, historic piece of Ottawa real estate. It happened.

I don't know much of the business or city/local ins & outs for Halifax or Atlantic Canada - maybe you do though ?

There was an old Touchdown Atlantic or Maratimes CFL expansion thread here aways back. Pretty sure a link there made mention of a prime piece of Halifax area real estate that could be up for grabs thru Federal Gov. of Canada involvement (they own or can give rights to the property?)

Impossible there you say? - OK then. ;o)