Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Why did the Argos struggle (off the field) in 2016 and how can it improve?

This article covers a lot. I believe the article having it's own thread is justified based on the many points brought up by Wright, Cohon, Sokolowski and Copeland.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...and-attendance

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    “I don’t have the solution,” said former CFL commissioner Tom Wright. “But even if I did, they wouldn’t listen. They didn’t listen to me when I was commissioner. Why would they listen to me now?”
    Why would they listen to you when you admit you have nothing to offer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    “I don’t have the solution,” said former CFL commissioner Tom Wright. “But even if I did, they wouldn’t listen. They didn’t listen to me when I was commissioner. Why would they listen to me now?”
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Why would they listen to you when you admit you have nothing to offer.
    I guess nobody told him that there are new owners here and the man that couldn't stand him (Braley) has significantly less power these days. Personally, I hate that quote from Wright. Coimes off as a crybaby.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Admittedly my memory ain't so good but I don't recall Wright doing anything of consequence as commish. It seems all the good things happpened (or the perception of such) came under the team of Cohon and Copeland.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argoknot View Post
    Admittedly my memory ain't so good but I don't recall Wright doing anything of consequence as commish. It seems all the good things happpened (or the perception of such) came under the team of Cohon and Copeland.
    The Ottawa Renegades also folded after Wright spent an off-season doing nothing about their sorry situation.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    http://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-115...ttawa-1.613386
    http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050...argos-1.613302

So, clearly Wright is still bitter about his time with the CFL and how it ended - it's been about a decade, probably time to let go.

I think Wright, Sokolowski, and especially Cohon are spot on. IMO Rogers coming on board and having the full might of MLSE would be a big help to the Argos. The problem with the Argonauts and CFL is the perception of it, BMO as never going to be the cure all, and because of that it's going to take time (minimum 5 years IMO). Was I expecting sellouts this season ? No, minus the home opener. Was I expecting it to be as bad as it was ? No, but I think some had unrealistic expectations. Even if the team starting marketing in September 2015, would the fans really have come out in droves ? I highly doubt it, so I'm actually really surprised that some are so shocked about the Argos first season in BMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Ottawa Renegades also folded after Wright spent an off-season doing nothing about their sorry situation.
    ???
    There were 3 potential buyer groups, Jeff Hunt was a part of the Golden Gate group, and had Mr. Anderson not been diagnosed with cancer, who knows what would have occured. The League didn't want to take over ownership of the team either, so hence the team folding - not sure how Wright is blamed for that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    http://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-115...ttawa-1.613386
    http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050...argos-1.613302

So, clearly Wright is still bitter about his time with the CFL and how it ended - it's been about a decade, probably time to let go.

I think Wright, Sokolowski, and especially Cohon are spot on. IMO Rogers coming on board and having the full might of MLSE would be a big help to the Argos. The problem with the Argonauts and CFL is the perception of it, BMO as never going to be the cure all, and because of that it's going to take time (minimum 5 years IMO). Was I expecting sellouts this season ? No, minus the home opener. Was I expecting it to be as bad as it was ? No, but I think some had unrealistic expectations. Even if the team starting marketing in September 2015, would the fans really have come out in droves ? I highly doubt it, so I'm actually really surprised that some are so shocked about the Argos first season in BMO.

???
    There were 3 potential buyer groups, Jeff Hunt was a part of the Golden Gate group, and had Mr. Anderson not been diagnosed with cancer, who knows what would have occured. The League didn't want to take over ownership of the team either, so hence the team folding - not sure how Wright is blamed for that.
    The only way that Rogers gets involved is if they have some television rights. Even then there would be conflicts with the Jays.

Also MLSE isn't exactly a cohesive unit, Rogers and Bell are always butting heads.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Wright was to blame, at least in part, because he let that franchise go down the drain beginning in the off-season following the 2004 Grey Cup. If you go back and read articles from that time in the Ottawa papers, you will see a lot of criticism of Wright for neglecting that franchise from January of 2005 until they folded.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    why would rogers want the team? They are trying to kill it and the league...
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    Turned on the FAN590 this afternoon and heard Andrew Walker bashing the Argonauts and calling for the CFL to fold the team or move them to the Maritimes.
    Class act!!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Turned on the FAN590 this afternoon and heard Andrew Walker bashing the Argonauts and calling for the CFL to fold the team or move them to the Maritimes.
    Class act!!
    That's too bad but not unexpected.

Unfortunately, the reality that this Argo hate (as opposed to ignore) stems more from a telecommunication battle between Bell and Rogers. Rogers was actually on pretty good terms with the Argos and the CFL before the league went exclusive with Bell.

2008 was the first year of the exclusive arrengements. It was also the first year of the ill-fated Bills in Toronto series...brought to you by....guess who...

I would agree it would be better if Rogers had a piece of the action and there will less negative press.

Too bad...you never hear TSN bashing the CHL or U Sports....both Rogers properties.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Class act!!
    Well then will Walker ask why the NHL is expanding when Carolina, Florida, and Phoenix draw flies??? He should point out the NHL should just fold or move these teams!!!!!
    And will he talk about the Vegas Golden Knights and the joke of a launch?? Someone couldn't work the video??? Looked like it should have been held in a strip joint!
    I think not!!!!

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Turned on the FAN590 this afternoon and heard Andrew Walker bashing the Argonauts and calling for the CFL to fold the team or move them to the Maritimes. Class act!!
    Just one question, who is Andrew Walker and why should I listen to him?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argoknot View Post
    Just one question, who is Andrew Walker and why should I listen to him?
    Technically, that's 2 questions. Answer to the 2nd question is, there is no reason to listen to him (or anyone at that station).
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    At this point Rogers clearly doesn't want the team, but from previous reports it seems as though Bell and Tanenbaum have left the door open for Rogers to come on board eventually. Like it or not, we need Rogers to be our ally, not our enemy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    At this point Rogers clearly doesn't want the team, but from previous reports it seems as though Bell and Tanenbaum have left the door open for Rogers to come on board eventually. Like it or not, we need Rogers to be our ally, not our enemy.
    Which won't happen unless Rogers gets some sweet deal where they own the league or sonething ...

Again, I say, Rogers as a media corporation has a real hatred for Canadian football and the Argos specifically. They only want NFL and the big money that brings...

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Which won't happen unless Rogers gets some sweet deal where they own the league or sonething ...

Again, I say, Rogers as a media corporation has a real hatred for Canadian football and the Argos specifically. They only want NFL and the big money that brings...
    I'd have to come up with better evidence, but sometimes I do wonder if Rogers shows as much hatred towards the CFL in other markets aside from Toronto?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I'd have to come up with better evidence, but sometimes I do wonder if Rogers shows as much hatred towards the CFL in other markets aside from Toronto?
    . I only know what they have done here in the GTA these last several years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    That's too bad but not unexpected.

Unfortunately, the reality that this Argo hate (as opposed to ignore) stems more from a telecommunication battle between Bell and Rogers. Rogers was actually on pretty good terms with the Argos and the CFL before the league went exclusive with Bell.

2008 was the first year of the exclusive arrengements. It was also the first year of the ill-fated Bills in Toronto series...brought to you by....guess who...

I would agree it would be better if Rogers had a piece of the action and there will less negative press.

Too bad...you never hear TSN bashing the CHL or U Sports....both Rogers properties.
    TSN doesn't treat the Jays the same way that Rogers treats the Argos/CFL either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Probably not, they wouldn't be able to get away with it in other markets. Torontonians are special that way.