C.F.L.’s Grey Cup Gets Lost in Toronto’s Crowded Sports Scene

Can't argue with this article.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Too bad he didn't interview more credible "CFL" people. Like one's that would tell him the GC is still a hot ticket but not at the prices they are trying to charge. Or instead of just pointing out the attendance decline ... mention that they packed 55K into the dome just 4 years ago in this same market

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Too bad he didn't interview more credible "CFL" people. Like one's that would tell him the GC is still a hot ticket but not at the prices they are trying to charge. Or instead of just pointing out the attendance decline ... mention that they packed 55K into the dome just 4 years ago in this same market
    Like Gord Stellick is credible!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    Like Gord Stellick is credible!!!
    That was his brother Bob. Bob's a bigger NFL fan than Gord.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    He did mention that Skydome was sold out for the Grey Cup in 2012.

And as for Grey Cup being a hot ticket, he points out that last year in Winnipeg, tickets sold out only two days before the game to the smallest crowd in decades, plus the game in B.C. Place not coming close to selling out.

Did you read the article?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    He did mention that Skydome was sold out for the Grey Cup in 2012.

And as for Grey Cup being a hot ticket, he points out that last year in Winnipeg, tickets sold out only two days before the game to the smallest crowd in decades, plus the game in B.C. Place not coming close to selling out.

Did you read the article?
    Ottawa will be an enormous success next year. Winnipeg overpriced their tickets last year as did Toronto this year. Vancouver should never have gotten the Grey Cup again so quickly after having had it only three years before while the same could be said for Toronto this year. The league had a really solid run of successful Grey Cups before the last three and hopefully they will have learned from these last three and will embark on another solid run starting next year.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    He interviewed Terry. What more do you want?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Have to say that I am disappointed that rehash of same old, same old came from Curtis Rush someone whom I think knows better. The usual negative tact of half truths. Why can't any positive stories come out? Are reporters seriously that lazy now that they just do a quick google for a few quotes (Ray Ratto reference) and slap an article together.

The playoff only drew half of HNIC, but he didn't say they drew more than everybody else including NFL/NBA and TFC.

The CFL has seriously got to stop taking this $hit and start to fight back. Their PR guy has taken on Rogers BS and in his final State of the League Cohon finally came out and said how they were killing everybody else (save hockey) in ratings. No more apologies, come out swinging, everybody else is kicking the league while its down, FFS start fighting back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argoknot View Post
    Have to say that I am disappointed that rehash of same old, same old came from Curtis Rush someone whom I think knows better. The usual negative tact of half truths. Why can't any positive stories come out? Are reporters seriously that lazy now that they just do a quick google for a few quotes (Ray Ratto reference) and slap an article together.

The playoff only drew half of HNIC, but he didn't say they drew more than everybody else including NFL/NBA and TFC.

The CFL has seriously got to stop taking this $hit and start to fight back. Their PR guy has taken on Rogers BS and in his final State of the League Cohon finally came out and said how they were killing everybody else (save hockey) in ratings. No more apologies, come out swinging, everybody else is kicking the league while its down, FFS start fighting back.
    You expect the league to fight back with Orridge as the commissioner. This guy is terrible, not only is he an overated marketer...congrats on the 2nd non-sellout under his regime. He's also alienated players with his ridiculous statement yesterday. I know it's in the courts, but why not just state no comment about brain injuries and football, not say that the jury is still out. You still want people to sign their kids up for this sport and to dream of winning the Grey Cup, not sign them to soccer and basketball, which is what is happening now in Canada. The attitude he displayed yesterday will not get parents to sign kids up or promote them playing football.

The game has less reach now on just TSN than it's ever had and the Super Bowl has passed the Grey Cup in ratings in Canada...how could that be good news? That was not the case as recently as 5 years ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Ottawa will be an enormous success next year. Winnipeg overpriced their tickets last year as did Toronto this year. Vancouver should never have gotten the Grey Cup again so quickly after having had it only three years before while the same could be said for Toronto this year. The league had a really solid run of successful Grey Cups before the last three and hopefully they will have learned from these last three and will embark on another solid run starting next year.
    You are absolutely right.... Ottawa will be an enormous success. I have to believe that Regina gets the Grey Cup after that in 2018 with their new stadium, which will also be spectacular, and then in 2019 they should give the Grey Cup to Hamilton, since they have been left out for a long time and also have a new stadium... and that will be a great success too. If the league goes East - West - East - West, as they should, then Calgary or Edmonton could be up for hosting the game in 2020, and either one will be a success, subject to weather. So as far as I am concerned, for the next four years, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. By that point, if Toronto Argos management hasn't figured things out and improved the brand, then that is on them.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    You are absolutely right.... Ottawa will be an enormous success. I have to believe that Regina gets the Grey Cup after that in 2018 with their new stadium, which will also be spectacular, and then in 2019 they should give the Grey Cup to Hamilton, since they have been left out for a long time and also have a new stadium... and that will be a great success too. If the league goes East - West - East - West, as they should, then Calgary or Edmonton could be up for hosting the game in 2020, and either one will be a success, subject to weather. So as far as I am concerned, for the next four years, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. By that point, if Toronto Argos management hasn't figured things out and improved the brand, then that is on them.
    Provided that the Argos get their act together, I don't see Toronto getting another one until 2023.

Let's take The Spirit of Edmonton for example. This is the best of the team parties, the organizers typically rent out a ballroom at a hotel (usually a Sheraton were present) and do not charge a cover. The beer tokens while not cheap are more reasonably priced than the team parties that are at the Convention Centre (in any city, BC was ridiculous too keep in mind). This event is usually prime for Grey Cup die-hards on Thursday night and a smaller crowd is not unsurprising on that day because typically not all of your out-of-towners have arrived in the host city yet. However, when I start hearing of the fact that there isn't a bloody lineup on Friday and well into Saturday for this event then you know there is trouble.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Let's take The Spirit of Edmonton for example. However, when I start hearing of the fact that there isn't a bloody lineup on Friday and well into Saturday for this event then you know there is trouble.
    What choo talkin' bout Willis?

Last edited by Argoknot; 11-27-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm beginning to wonder why some CFL fans are posting negative stuff. We're not so naive to know that Toronto has not been good for the league this year but in all honesty do we really need to help Toronto media/Rogers/TFC and NFL trolls spread the CFL hate.

There is enough of that garbage, I don't know about anyone else here but my head isn't buried in the sand, I know what is going on but I try to look at sites like this and cfl.ca as an oasis from the CFL hate not yet another perpetrator (or perpetuator) of it. There's enough of those trolls posting here without legit fans adding to the grief.

Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Curtis Rush, biggest troll I know.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Similar to Uncle Leo of Seinfeld fame...He's old. He's confused. I get that these forums are just opinion and discussion, but the amount of negativity makes believe that some people are only happy when they are miserable.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    The use of the word troll was meant to describe some NFL and TFC fans. But knowing Rush's history, you'd think he could have come up with something better than the usual negative drivel of half truths that we've been hearing ad nauseum, ad infinitem.

At least if you're going to shit on the league do some research and come up with something new, there are other teams besides the Argos. Funny how no one mentions the Montreal turnaround and positive momentum from the problems they had. But positive stories take some effort, something media now seems to find very difficult.