Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    The winning team had three shots on net during the entire game.
    Yawn.
    True, not a fan of having a shootout decide a Championship, perhaps Rock, Paper, Scissors would be better?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The winning team had three shots on net during the entire game.
    Yawn.
    At net. They actually had zero on net.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    For first time viewers of MLS, of which there were likely many last night, this championship game did not give them much reason to return. It was a terrible game and contained the worst stereotypes of soccer including the writhing on the field at the slightest touch that some players displayed. I know that the weather did not help but why in the hell is the MLS finishing their season on December 10th? The season should be over by October at the latest.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    For first time viewers of MLS, of which there were likely many last night, this championship game did not give them much reason to return. It was a terrible game and contained the worst stereotypes of soccer including the writhing on the field at the slightest touch that some players displayed. I know that the weather did not help but why in the hell is the MLS finishing their season on December 10th? The season should be over by October at the latest.
    You sure summed it up for me Ravi.

I have tried to develop an interest/appreciation in soccer over the past few years.
    "The Beautiful Game".
    The most popular sport in the world (largely because of its simplicity and low cost of participation).

Last night's game shut the door on this effort by me.
    It was exactly that flopping/collapsing after every challenge or tackle followed by the whining to the referee by several players for the next minute that pushed me away from soccer for good.
    The fact that one team can win while getting no shots on net over 120 minutes (thanks for the clarification Angelo) is pathetic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    You sure summed it up for me Ravi.

I have tried to develop an interest/appreciation in soccer over the past few years.
    "The Beautiful Game".
    The most popular sport in the world (largely because of its simplicity and low cost of participation).

Last night's game shut the door on this effort by me.
    It was exactly that flopping/collapsing after every challenge or tackle followed by the whining to the referee by several players for the next minute that pushed me away from soccer for good.
    The fact that one team can win while getting no shots on net over 120 minutes (thanks for the clarification Angelo) is pathetic.
    Admittedly, I watched after the Leafs game was over, and couldn't help but notice how Altidore, the biggest guy on the field, also seemed to go down the easiest all night. It really is pretty embarrassing to see this ALL GAME LONG. Yes, hockey players also embellish, but not to that degree.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Here is a great column by the CBC's Nigel Reed: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls/...team-1.3891444

What he has written has been my biggest problem with the MLS since it came to Canada over a decade ago. If Toronto FC had been playing for a championship in an all-Canadian league though, would they have even drawn 3600?
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    It WAS a terrible game. It's a shame because the previous Montreal series was outstanding with 12 goals in 2 games! As someone that has watched soccer since the 90's, it ranks up there as one of the worst Championship games I can recall. A lot of big games are susceptible to low scoring bore fests. It's well known that the World Cup and even the Champions League finals are usually not the best game in the tournament. Quite often, one team will "Park the Bus" like Seattle did and play for penalties. There's all sorts of debate how to improve the game. I think more substitutions would surprisingly fix a lot of problems.

MLS starts their season in cold April. Not much room to start earlier in snowy March. Condensing the schedule would be the only solution, but I don't know if that is possible or feasible. Players might be more susceptible to cramps 🙄.
    Last edited by ArgoZ; 12-13-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    MLS starts their season in cold April. Not much room to start earlier in snowy March. Condensing the schedule would be the only solution, but I don't know if that is possible or feasible. Players might be more susceptible to cramps .
    I actually think the MLS starts in early or mid March, but maybe wrong. The playoffs dragged so long because they had a week long break for international matches, which is quite laughable in the middle of the playoffs. The MLS neutral site final that was played at BMO in 2010 or 2011 was played on Grey Cup Sunday in November.

The old North American Soccer League (NASL) which was popular for a time in the late 70s after many aging stars like Pele, Beckenbauer and Chinaglia played for the NY Cosmos used to play their Championship final in early October. Very little, actually nothing, was talked about the Toronto Blizzard reaching the NASL final in 1983, losing to the Tulsa Roughnecks at BC Place Stadium. I believe it was played in front of 50k or close to it, as soccer has always been very popular in Cascadia (Vancouver, Seattle, Portland area). Nothing was also mentioned about the last North American Pro Soccer championship in Toronto, in 1976, when the Metros-Croatia, defeated the Minnesota Kick...I think, to win the NASL championship.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    I actually think the MLS starts in early or mid March, but maybe wrong. The playoffs dragged so long because they had a week long break for international matches, which is quite laughable in the middle of the playoffs. The MLS neutral site final that was played at BMO in 2010 or 2011 was played on Grey Cup Sunday in November.

The old North American Soccer League (NASL) which was popular for a time in the late 70s after many aging stars like Pele, Beckenbauer and Chinaglia played for the NY Cosmos used to play their Championship final in early October. Very little, actually nothing, was talked about the Toronto Blizzard reaching the NASL final in 1983, losing to the Tulsa Roughnecks at BC Place Stadium. I believe it was played in front of 50k or close to it, as soccer has always been very popular in Cascadia (Vancouver, Seattle, Portland area). Nothing was also mentioned about the last North American Pro Soccer championship in Toronto, in 1976, when the Metros-Croatia, defeated the Minnesota Kick...I think, to win the NASL championship.
    I believe that the neutral site MLS championship played in Toronto in 2010 was played on CFL divisional final Sunday and the Argos played that day in Montreal. That particular MLS game was certainly lost on both the Toronto and Canadian sports calendar.

I found it laughable when some were suggesting in the media that this past MLS championship was the biggest match ever for Canadian soccer. One of the reasons it was laughable is because TFC has little to do with Canadian soccer.