Reply to Thread
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Landry: Looking ahead to what will be wild Argos off-season

Landry's new article discusses some of the FA decisions the Argos will have to make.

I have a hard time believing that Coombs is the future at RB - considering how infrequently we've used him at that position - but if we change coaches I guess everyone will be reevaluated.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Landry's new article discusses some of the FA decisions the Argos will have to make.

I have a hard time believing that Coombs is the future at RB - considering how infrequently we've used him at that position - but if we change coaches I guess everyone will be reevaluated.
    Coombs is an FA, so would he even want to come back ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

As goofy as believing Keenan LaFrance will be the future at RB for the RedBlacks. Maybe the Argos can sign Nic Grigsby off a car-lot for TC next season? ;o)

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Coombs is an FA, so would he even want to come back ?
    I don't think he has much reason to feel ill-treated. True, he got fewer touches this year but I'd say that was mostly because he's more of a possession guy and we were playing from behind in every damned game. And I doubt that he'd be competing with Durie for reps next year...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wouldn't be too surprised to see Owens and Durie back next season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Canadian Players I would like to see back would include Holmes, Black, Yurichuk and Hallaleujah (or what ever his name is) the kicker. Spencer can be a useful player if used right. Shaw a good #2 type guy. Whittaker has been a good durable RB and at his age might still do a good job if they could spell him off with a younger back. I was hoping for the Canadian RB Lynch but he has retired. I don't think Coombes will ever be a RB in the pros but could be of value as a WR IMO. Good speed and shifty ability in the open field. I agree with Landry that Van Roten is a good O Lineman to have around as he has shown he can play all the positions. Bourke seems to be done which is unfortunate as Canadian Linemen of his calibre are tough to find. Van Zeyl could still play IMO, but would like to see him at Guard.
    I think Greenwood is a FA and would be a priority IMO as well, but he does get injured a lot.
    It would be nice to get Okaplugo and Laing back on the defensive line to go with Waud and Lemon. Jefferson, Owusu-Ansah and Gabriel in the defensive backfield. They need some experience back there. After that I guess you start running free agent camps all over the southern states this winter, and see if they can find some keepers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Canadian Players I would like to see back would include Holmes, Black, Yurichuk and Hallaleujah (or what ever his name is) the kicker. Spencer can be a useful player if used right. Shaw a good #2 type guy. Whittaker has been a good durable RB and at his age might still do a good job if they could spell him off with a younger back. I was hoping for the Canadian RB Lynch but he has retired. I don't think Coombes will ever be a RB in the pros but could be of value as a WR IMO. Good speed and shifty ability in the open field. I agree with Landry that Van Roten is a good O Lineman to have around as he has shown he can play all the positions. Bourke seems to be done which is unfortunate as Canadian Linemen of his calibre are tough to find. Van Zeyl could still play IMO, but would like to see him at Guard.
    I think Greenwood is a FA and would be a priority IMO as well, but he does get injured a lot.
    It would be nice to get Okaplugo and Laing back on the defensive line to go with Waud and Lemon. Jefferson, Owusu-Ansah and Gabriel in the defensive backfield. They need some experience back there. After that I guess you start running free agent camps all over the southern states this winter, and see if they can find some keepers.
    I agree with most of what you have said here with the exception of Coombs as a WR. To me, he needs to be given an apportunity as a RB, and if not there, then he needs to stay in the hybrid spot. He doesn't run great wide out routes and is deadly on those drag routes were he can make something happen afterwards. To me a wide out is someone that can beat good cover guys 1 on 1, either with their route running or by being very physical and winning the 50/50 balls. That's not Coombs.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I think if healthy, there is no reason that Berry and Jefferson can't man the Corners.

To me, Owusu-Ansah should be playing HB. I would bring 1 CFL Vet in for one side (Emmanuel Davis/ Abdul Kanneh are my first choices), and let the rest battle it out on the other side. (Green, Owusu-Ansah, Rankin, D.Smith, J.Mitchell).

Big question mark here; Will Gabriel and Greenwood fully recover from concussion issues. Those are the pivotal questions for moving forward on the Dee to me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree with most of what you have said here with the exception of Coombs as a WR. To me, he needs to be given an apportunity as a RB, and if not there, then he needs to stay in the hybrid spot. He doesn't run great wide out routes and is deadly on those drag routes were he can make something happen afterwards. To me a wide out is someone that can beat good cover guys 1 on 1, either with their route running or by being very physical and winning the 50/50 balls. That's not Coombs.
    Yah but he can stretch the field with his speed. Guys like Walker of Edmonton and Daniels of Calgary don't run great routes IMO, just turn on the jets and say catch me if you can. Of course it helps to have a Reilly or Mitchell throwing that deep ball. But I agree he hasn't the size to out fight DB's for the ball and a hybrid WR/SB would probably be his best position. Maybe the odd touch as a RB but I don't think he is tough enough to do it very often, and he doesn't break tackles.
    When we're all said and done he's back to what they have had him do the last couple of years. A hybrid back. But I would like to see them send him deep a bit more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't think he has much reason to feel ill-treated. True, he got fewer touches this year but I'd say that was mostly because he's more of a possession guy and we were playing from behind in every damned game. And I doubt that he'd be competing with Durie for reps next year...
    Coombs and Durie were hardly used due to Brady and Milanovich going with more protection packages. TBH, I don't see Coombs returning, especially if Milanovich is back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Coombs and Durie were hardly used due to Brady and Milanovich going with more protection packages. TBH, I don't see Coombs returning, especially if Milanovich is back.
    I agree he probably won't be back if the same system (with Dupuis taking way more snaps than either Coombs or Durie) is in place. But since that seems unlikely, I hope he will be in the plans of the new coaching staff, and will be open to returning.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Achievements:

Level
    I thought that the overuse (agreed) of Dupuis was an emergency measure. We'll see, I guess.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I thought that the overuse (agreed) of Dupuis was an emergency measure. We'll see, I guess.
    IMO it was an emergency measure in the sense that our o-line was determined to be too weak to block on its own. So yes, it's not just about the offensive system -- if we don't get better o-line play, the next system will also need to use a fullback/H-back frequently.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7