Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    You're kidding, right? This stuff is taught from pop warner all the way through college ball. If you're a pro and you don't block, it's because you have no desire to do so. You also make it sound like these guys have been 1500 yard receivers in this league. Not even close. They either couldn't even get on the field, or were barely used on their new teams. Gurley didn't even dress in the playoff game.
    I guess Edmonton, Hamilton and Winnipeg disagree as they are all under contract to return in 2017. How does a redshirt freshman start at receiver at University of South Carolina in the ACC and the go on to hang around the NFL for five seasons with his bad attitude. To be honest, I would say the frustration must have rained supreme on the SM team. I believe in 2017 receivers wouldn't even recommend challenges, because they new what happened to those who did and the result seemed to be quite dis-functional. I am pretty sure that Jim Barker wasn't looking for 4 troublemakers when he scouted the terrible four.

I took the position after Week #1 that big changes were required after the thumping we took at hands of the Ticats during Week #1. Many disagreed. We had a top quality coach and a top GM. Patience was required.

The season turned into a circus after Week 16 and the GM/HC summariiy cut 1/4 of offense. Timing was great as it was just before we played the CFL powerhouse Stampeders. By the way, we got zilch for these players. I was then told, no one would pickup these guys. Except they were all four picked up?? Now I hear they didn't a lot of playing time.

And the final straw for me was when the GM and HC decided just 5 days later that there still as a chance to get to the Grey Cup in-spite of the self-inflicted mortal wound of Week 16. A desperate trade for a reportedly gunslinger QB was acquired after trading future assets. This previously benched QB, with a hefty contract would be available in the offseason. To add to the problem, the receivers had just been sent packing!

I guess it all circles back to the terrible four. I fear the Argos have a rough road ahead, and many players will have lots to prove when they come back to town.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 02-06-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    How does a redshirt freshman start at receiver at University of South Carolina in the ACC and the go on to hang around the NFL for five seasons with his bad attitude. To be honest, I would say the frustration must have rained supreme on the SM team.
    Nowhere did I ever question his talent. You do realize that he was with 8 different organizations in the NFL and now is in his 2nd in the CFL, right? I get that you have a personal relationship with him, but a good attitude and being a good team mate doesn't get you now 9 pink slips in 5 years.

And for the record, South Carolina is in the SEC, not the ACC.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I believe there was some significant scape-goating of players last year to make up for coaching "inadequacy" (I'd call it stupidity); Bourke, Bulcke (one game chance while they trotted out a mediocre rookie import Bishop all season), Raymond, and then cutting 4 receivers at one time ??? Too bad that entire coaching staff didn't get cut about mid season and a new staff could have been working to see if they could make needed improvements.

Gurley was easily IMO, the best receiver talent of the so-called big 3; and they could have cut the other 2 as an example / to make a point.
    Well when Pinball's wife sends out a Tweet saying that it's not the players...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I was then told, no one would pickup these guys. Except they were all four picked up?? Now I hear they didn't a lot of playing time.
    I was one who said that not all four would surface elsewhere. I was wrong as all four did get signed by other teams. But it is a fact that they got little playing time. Elliott got the most PT with the Cats (three games). Gurley played two games with the Bombers and did not play in the playoffs. Hazelton did not dress for Edmonton. Bates played two games with Sask. I'll be surprised if all four are on an opening-day roster but I assume a couple of them will be. Time will tell if any have a greater impact with their new team than they had with the Argos.

And the final straw for me was when the GM and HC decided just 5 days later that there still as a chance to get to the Grey Cup in-spite of the self-inflicted mortal wound of Week 16. A desperate trade for a reportedly gunslinger QB was acquired after trading future assets. This previously benched QB, with a hefty contract would be available in the offseason. To add to the problem, the receivers had just been sent packing!
    The sequence of events is off. The Willy trade occurred Sept. 11. The receivers were cut on Oct. 3.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Butler was seen as a passrusher on the rise when he tore up his knee 4 seasons ago. He was on a multimillion dollar contract. Then he had a 4 game suspension for violating PED policy. That was a few years ago so maybe he is on a recovery path to restore his career.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    We have many talented feceivers signed for next year. What I havent seen is any RB signings, I think we need a breakaway threat in the backfield to open up our passing game. Whittaker is a steady guy but no threat. Also must have good hands and be a punishing blocker.is that too much to ask for?

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I wonder if he turned to PED's as a result of his injury? Trying to get back to his former self. Thats when many people get addicted. Having suffered a stroke I would probably gladly find a pill that could return me to my old self. But they dont exist. This is regarding the Victor Butler signing.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    We signed our seventh and eighth round picks from last year's draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's some more information on the two draft picks from last year who signed.

The Toronto Argonauts announced today that the club has signed 2016 CFL Draft picks Johnathan Ngeleka and Ryan Nieuwesteeg.
    Ngeleka (pronunciation: NUH-GLE-KAH), spent five years at McMaster University, where he registered 30 tackles, six tackles for a loss of 47 yards, and fives sacks with the Marauders. The 5-10, 191-pound, native of Hamilton, Ontario, attended training camp with the Double Blue after being selected in the seventh round (58th overall) of the 2016 CFL Draft.
    Nieuwesteeg (pronunciation: NEW-WE-STEEG), selected by the Argonauts in the eighth round (66th overall) of the 2016 CFL Draft. The 5-8, 170-pound native of Niagara Falls, Ontario played five seasons at the University of Guelph, where he compiled 1,498 kick return yards on 103 returns and hauled in 32 passes for 372 receiving yards with the Gryphons.
    The 2015 Yates Cup Champion and second-team OUA All-Star attended training camp with the Argonauts in 2016 before electing to return to UofG for his final year of USport eligibility.
    http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/02/09/a...l-draft-picks/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I like CVZ but at 230K, that's a steep price for someone approaching the end of their career.
    I agree as he will be 37 at the end of the contract. As much as I like CVZ, I wonder if this is the best direction to go for a rebuilding team. I hoped the Argos don't get Bourked.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    We scheduled 3 free agent camps and cancelled one of them but the forum has been silent on the camps. Anyone got ideas on prospects that impresed? Weve seen some receiver signings so maybe they were impressive enough to be signed but any otherscwho havent been announced yet?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggiemac View Post
    We scheduled 3 free agent camps and cancelled one of them but the forum has been silent on the camps. Anyone got ideas on prospects that impresed? Weve seen some receiver signings so maybe they were impressive enough to be signed but any otherscwho havent been announced yet?
    Unless the media cover these camps, we won't know anything until players are signed.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I expect to see avery competitive TC this year. Especially on tge D side as we brought in so many new guys last year because of injuries and they have had the benefit of practicing and in some cases dressing for games so that has to be a positive and with the recent receiver KR signings it should be an interesting battle at that position. So, if they get off tgeir collective asses and get a GM and HC we can move forward.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggiemac View Post
    I expect to see avery competitive TC this year. Especially on tge D side as we brought in so many new guys last year because of injuries and they have had the benefit of practicing and in some cases dressing for games so that has to be a positive and with the recent receiver KR signings it should be an interesting battle at that position. So, if they get off tgeir collective asses and get a GM and HC we can move forward.
    Very little talent on the defensive side of the ball IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Very little talent on the defensive side of the ball IMO.
    The additions of Venable and Sears (if he can stay healthy and play to his CFL best form) really help there IMO. And IF Greenwood returns, those 3 could, IMO, form a top notch CFL LB corps.

Other units of the D have big question marks or holes though.

D-Line: Lemon is a good pass rushing DE; Foley is getting on in mileage and has to rebound to better than last year or be replaced IMO; Bishop & Hall were mediocre at best IMO - a better import DT should be found; I have hopes that Waud can still become a very good CFL DT, but they should draft a DT from a good crop coming up to compete/platoon there (unless Finley shows he is good for playing time there)

DBs: I think Gabriel can still be a very good CFL safety; but after that - lots of competition needed with all spots up for grabs - maybe they go out and sign a vet DB for experience/leadership (Jovon Johnson?); like to see Matt Black get a real shot to play corner, but he at least provides very experienced depth - could fill in anywhere in the D backfield.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The additions of Venable and Sears (if he can stay healthy and play to his CFL best form) really help there IMO. And IF Greenwood returns, those 3 could, IMO, form a top notch CFL LB corps.

Other units of the D have big question marks or holes though.

D-Line: Lemon is a good pass rushing DE; Foley is getting on in mileage and has to rebound to better than last year or be replaced IMO; Bishop & Hall were mediocre at best IMO - a better import DT should be found; I have hopes that Waud can still become a very good CFL DT, but they should draft a DT from a good crop coming up to compete/platoon there (unless Finley shows he is good for playing time there)

DBs: I think Gabriel can still be a very good CFL safety; but after that - lots of competition needed with all spots up for grabs - maybe they go out and sign a vet DB for experience/leadership (Jovon Johnson?); like to see Matt Black get a real shot to play corner, but he at least provides very experienced depth - could fill in anywhere in the D backfield.
    I agree about our linebacking corps if Greenwood re-signs and Sears plays Sam, but aside from Lemon and Gabriel, what else do we really have ?
    I'm not really crazy about Johnson coming here, as I don't think that highly of him as a player, but considering how poor our secondary is, I suppose we could use him.
    Black, IMO is nowhere near good enough to be a CFL starter, no matter where you put him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I agree about our linebacking corps if Greenwood re-signs and Sears plays Sam, but aside from Lemon and Gabriel, what else do we really have ?
    I'm not really crazy about Johnson coming here, as I don't think that highly of him as a player, but considering how poor our secondary is, I suppose we could use him.
    Black, IMO is nowhere near good enough to be a CFL starter, no matter where you put him.

There's been this discussion about Black here lots before.

There is basically zero evidence to support the notion that he could not be a capable starting CFL corner - his natural position in college ball where he was an all-star - and with his extensive CFL D learning experience now. He just has not been given any real game in game out starting chance at corner (though he has at safety and his been just ok there); and the times he has played some corner for the Argos, IMO he held up pretty well.

OTOH - there is TONS of evidence of other Argo (and CFL in general) import corners (and D-halfs) getting handed starting positions and being mediocre, lousy or burned all over the field. Sorry, but I'm stuck with going by actual on field football game evidence in evaluating players and not pre-judging them by their passports like some typical GOBs - and if you want to write off Black as a potential starter, I could easily write-off half the starting corners in the CFL now, including some mediocres who have been handed extensive CFL playing time (and Black has NOT been given that chance) - a bunch of them with the Argos over the past few seasons. You're entitled to your opinion of course and I might change my mind WHEN/IF I get to see Black start a bunch of games (at corner or D-half) and he shows he is not a good player there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    There's been this discussion about Black here lots before.

There is basically zero evidence to support the notion that he could not be a capable starting CFL corner - his natural position in college ball where he was an all-star - and with his extensive CFL D learning experience now. He just has not been given any real game in game out starting chance at corner (though he has at safety and his been just ok there); and the times he has played some corner for the Argos, IMO he held up pretty well.

OTOH - there is TONS of evidence of other Argo (and CFL in general) import corners (and D-halfs) getting handed starting positions and being mediocre, lousy or burned all over the field. Sorry, but I'm stuck with going by actual on field football game evidence in evaluating players and not pre-judging them by their passports like some typical GOBs - and if you want to write off Black as a potential starter, I could easily write-off half the starting corners in the CFL now, including some mediocres who have been handed extensive CFL playing time (and Black has NOT been given that chance) - a bunch of them with the Argos over the past few seasons. You're entitled to your opinion of course and I might change my mind WHEN/IF I get to see Black start a bunch of games (at corner or D-half) and he shows he is not a good player there.
    IMO Matt Black at age 31 is a good rotation/back up guy right now. Good enough to come in or start some games but not an every down player at this stage of the game. But a valuable Canadian veteran to have on the roster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Ottawa gets Tate for a 2018, 5th round draft choice ---we get Willy for the 1st overall draft choice in 2017 and also our best DB Can you say hosed?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Ottawa gets Tate for a 2018, 5th round draft choice ---we get Willy for the 1st overall draft choice in 2017 and also our best DB Can you say hosed?
    Not going to defend the trade for Willy (it was an obvious desperation move for a team that was hosting the Grey Cup), but in all honesty, different expectations. Tate is brought in to be a back up. Willy was brought in to be the starter.

Don't get the love for Tate these days. Looked GREAT in 2012. Has looked pretty bad in limited starts since.
    It's us vs the rest of the country