Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
I have no idea whether a guy like Harris could play in today's game. MLBs back then did not have to deal with nearly as much passing as we see now, or as much motion. There was no "waggle" (running start), there was only one slotback, and no five- or six-pack receiver sets. The way offences play dictates the way defences deploy personnel and the schemes they use. The rise of DBs converted to LBs goes back about 20 years. I think Argos under Matthews were among the first to deploy guys this way. Again, not taking anything away from the heroes of the past -- they were the best at their position in their day, and in cases like Harris deserve to still be remembered among all-time greats. But could Harris do what MLBs are required to do now? I have no idea.
Definitely a different game now from Wayne Harris' days. Back then the Offensive Guards were 6'0-6'1 225-230 and most Tackles 6'3-6'4 240-250. The Guards did a lot of pulling for off tackle trap plays and around end sweeps. Guys like Roger Perdix 6'1 225 of Ottawa and Jack Abendshen 6' 230 of Sask. were your typical all stars Guards of that era. Couldn't ask the current 300 lbers to do that very often. The CFL has always had unlimited back field motion but until Mathews or Hugh Campbell came up with the idea of the 5 or 6 receiver set with the waggle we still had more of a NFL style offense.
Maybe we always think it was better in the good old days with a TE, FB who could actually do more than just block, but i don't see anything changing back to that now. Maybe a guy like Auclair who could be a force as an inside receiver as a TE, but not too many guys like him coming out these days. Easier to find five 300 LBers up front, a Canadian Fullback who can block a bit and throw in a back up O Lineman at TE on 1st down to try and get 4 or 5 yards from the one RB. Then hope one can get the first down with a quick short pass after taking out the TE and FB for WR's. Exciting as all get out.
I actually fear for the future of Professional Football with the predictable offenses and the Concussion issue that's not going away.