Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Wow. I was really worried Holmes would sign in Ottawa. He wasn't great last season but he's still a cornerstone-type piece. Cutting Bourke freed up some money -- I assume Holmes will be our highest-paid o-lineman.

Not sure Holmes would make the starting Ottawa O-line. Nolan MacMillan (a free agent currently) is better IMO and younger; maybe he could beat out J'Michael Deane at the other guard spot, but the RedBlacks have former top draft pick Alex Mateas in the wings - to take over at one of the interior O-line spots - current vet C Jon Gott is considered still pretty strong i think.

Doubt Holmes woulda got big starter money out of Ottawa.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntdog View Post
    Anthony Coombs has signed a two-year extension with the Argos according to Justin Dunk on 3 Down Nation

I'm pleasantly surprised by this.
    I'm not surprised at all. I personally don't buy the crap being said on here about Argos management.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    As am I. I'm really surprised actually.

Why? - did you think he would command big or even decent CFL buck$, or did you see another CFL team having big interest in him (a Canadian tailback with a bit of slotback experience now)?

I doubt Coombs is all of a sudden going to play a big or bigger role in the same old Millanovich offence; that hybrid slot spot might get changed since it has not been near as productive since Durie's hey-days there, or maybe another receiver (like Spencer) might get a shot at it.

I like Coombs and glad he is still around - versatile guy who could play both as a 2nd RB plus still some receiver, and maybe return some kicks too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Holmes had an opportunity to sign with Ottawa a few years ago and did not so I'm not surprised.
    Yeah, but they're a contending team now and there's always the pull of family. Someone close to the Argo org (but not in football ops) told me recently he thought Holmes was getting pressure from his folks to sign there. Regardless, very glad he didn't.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Do you think Holmes would get more salary than Van Zeyl? Do you think Barker will bring CVZ back?
    IMO he should get more than CVZ at this stage of their careers. The latter seems to be on the downside, while Holmes is in his prime. I assume CVZ will be re-signed, but would not be shocked if he isn't.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Why? - did you think he would command big or even decent CFL buck$, or did you see another CFL team having big interest in him (a Canadian tailback with a bit of slotback experience now)?

I doubt Coombs is all of a sudden going to play a big or bigger role in the same old Millanovich offence; that hybrid slot spot might get changed since it has not been near as productive since Durie's hey-days there, or maybe another receiver (like Spencer) might get a shot at it.

I like Coombs and glad he is still around - versatile guy who could play both as a 2nd RB plus still some receiver, and maybe return some kicks too.
    I'm glad he's back as well, but like SR I thought there was a good chance he'd leave. Two major factors: 1. He didn't get used much in 2016, and 2. He's from Manitoba and sometimes guys (especially out west -- see Andrew Harris) like to play at home. Anyway, glad he resisted the lure of free agency as he could be a cornerstone receiver going forward. IMO he's too small to play regularly at TB but I'd like him to get 35-50 carries per year (2-3 per game) as it would keep him more involved and would create some problems for the defence. I have always liked handoffs and pitches to guys who don't usually line up at TB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm glad he's back as well, but like SR I thought there was a good chance he'd leave. Two major factors: 1. He didn't get used much in 2016, and 2. He's from Manitoba and sometimes guys (especially out west -- see Andrew Harris) like to play at home. Anyway, glad he resisted the lure of free agency as he could be a cornerstone receiver going forward. IMO he's too small to play regularly at TB but I'd like him to get 35-50 carries per year (2-3 per game) as it would keep him more involved and would create some problems for the defence. I have always liked handoffs and pitches to guys who don't usually line up at TB.
    The two reasons mentioned here are why I thought Coombs could end up leaving.
    Last edited by R.J; 01-12-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm not surprised at all. I personally don't buy the crap being said on here about Argos management.
    Does Coombs and Holmes know who's coaching? If the locker room was so bad then why would guys not try to leave free agency? It's odd that the most of the more important possible FA's IMO are all re-signing. I guess we'll never know what actually went on. Plus, there are are two sides to every story.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I also think that sometimes people overestimate how much a player wants to play at "home". Holmes has been around Toronto long enough now to establish some roots and, clearly, Coombs has no issue with Toronto either.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Does Coombs and Holmes know who's coaching? If the locker room was so bad then why would guys not try to leave free agency? It's odd that the most of the more important possible FA's IMO are all re-signing. I guess we'll never know what actually went on. Plus, there are are two sides to every story.
    Yep. Maybe the free agents would have been more eager to leave if the four receivers hadn't been cut, or if there had been no experienced QBs on the roster. We'll never know.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The last three have been very good signings. Looks like Barker has been given the go-ahead to sign those players, he feels are necessary for next year. Kind of indicates he will be around next season ---still no word on the coaching situation. . Suspect the silence may be saying something --perhaps Barker back but maybe a new coach. Whatever the braintrust is doing , they need to act quickly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    The last three have been very good signings. Looks like Barker has been given the go-ahead to sign those players, he feels are necessary for next year. Kind of indicates he will be around next season ---still no word on the coaching situation. . Suspect the silence may be saying something --perhaps Barker back but maybe a new coach. Whatever the braintrust is doing , they need to act quickly.
    The coach is under contract. Why would they need to announce he'd be back? If there was an announcement to be made, it would have been on a change of coach. I may be 1 of 4 or 5 on here that feel this way, but I'd be very happy to see no coaching change.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Resigning Lirim Hajrullahu is important as we've all seen seasons where the Argos kicking game did them no favours.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I also thought there was a good chance he would be gone for these reasons.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:

Level
    The coach is under contract. Why would they need to announce he'd be back? If there was an announcement to be made, it would have been on a change of coach. I may be 1 of 4 or 5 on here that feel this way, but I'd be very happy to see no coaching change.
    Other teams have already announced that their staffs are returning. No changes being made but yet they made an effort to make a simple announcement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Other teams have already announced that their staffs are returning. No changes being made but yet they made an effort to make a simple announcement.
    What do these announcements say exactly?
    I don't recall reading announcements about coaches who are currently under contract that reiterate that they are still under contract.

Something like, "Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, will return as Prime Minister of Canada for 2017"?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's eight weeks since the Argos have announced that a thorough review of football operations and promised dominant and exciting football in 2017 and beyond. While no one expected any announcements before Grey Cup time, is moving on. Is anyone else getting impatient for at least an update? If the current regime returns intact, what structural changes could the Argos make to become dominant and exciting?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    It's eight weeks since the Argos have announced that a thorough review of football operations and promised dominant and exciting football in 2017 and beyond. While no one expected any announcements before Grey Cup time, is moving on. Is anyone else getting impatient for at least an update? If the current regime returns intact, what structural changes could the Argos make to become dominant and exciting?
    Apparently it's very thorough since we still haven't heard anything.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    If the current regime returns intact, what structural changes could the Argos make to become dominant and exciting?
    Would be a good topic for Cybulski & Sanchez to discuss on their Waggle podcast.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Glad Coombs and Liam are back. Hopefully Coombs gets more of an opportunity to shine this season.