Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The Argos, re-Barker brought quite a few good Import Tackles into the League in the last several years. Washington, Rogers, King, Campbell come to mind. All but Campbell are still in the League as he retired rather than move to Regina. The players are out there, just have to be recruited. I would be ok with Van Roten playing somewhere in the line. I thought he should have been at RG all last year. So if they can re-sign Van Roten that would just leave a good LT missing from a pretty good O Line IMO.
    If Van Zeyl is actually getting 230,000 I would wager maybe 50,000 would be made up in bonuses, with a base of around 180,000.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Victor Butler has a lot of NFL experience...weighing in at 248 he could be used at DE as well. Harris could be a find based on his college career. Hope the new coaching staff likes these guys.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    True - I'm curious about what we do at DE. Lemon is a lock, obviously, but do we bring back Foley? If we end up with two INTs on the OL we'll have to keep an eye on our NAT content on D.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Ego-Jones and the Riders have cut vet DB Fred Bennett. Argos should sign him IMO - always thought he was very good and might come relatively cheap now. Need for veteran savvy in the D-backfield IMO, as opposed to the Barker MO of plugging-in a bunch of new, ex-NFL resume guys every year and thinking that will work. Matt Black should finally get a real look to see if he can start at his real position - cornerback - too - another vet to provide some glue to the secondary, and Jefferson has built up some CFL experience and has talent IMO. And I hope Gabriel can rebound at safety - not sure if Stubler liked him ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Ego-Jones and the Riders have cut vet DB Fred Bennett. Argos should sign him IMO - always thought he was very good and might come relatively cheap now. Need for veteran savvy in the D-backfield IMO, as opposed to the Barker MO of plugging-in a bunch of new, ex-NFL resume guys every year and thinking that will work. Matt Black should finally get a real look to see if he can start at his real position - cornerback - too - another vet to provide some glue to the secondary, and Jefferson has built up some CFL experience and has talent IMO. And I hope Gabriel can rebound at safety - not sure if Stubler liked him ?
    Gabriel was really hampered by injuries in 2016 but can hopefully rebound in 2017. I agree with you, OV, about Bennett. I think that he would be a nice addition and he knows Stubler's defence too.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I totally agree about Bennett. Last season there were numerous veteran DB's that were available from other CFL teams, but for what ever reason they found their way to other teams and contributed. Not sure how Zimmerman can continue to sign players when the new coaching staff (announcement to be made soon) may not even want them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I totally agree about Bennett. Last season there were numerous veteran DB's that were available from other CFL teams, but for what ever reason they found their way to other teams and contributed. Not sure how Zimmerman can continue to sign players when the new coaching staff (announcement to be made soon) may not even want them.
    Coaches can cut players in camp; Zimmerman should do whatever he feels is needed in the meantime. There's absolutely no downside to signing Bennett unless his salary demands are untenable. Obviously we need Gabriel to rebound as a starter, and we need at least one NAT LB (Greenwood, hope he gets re-signed, and/or Miles) and at least one NAT d-lineman at all times. Ideally we'd start four NATs on defence, three on the o-line and two among the six backs and receivers, giving us tons of substitution flexibility. I don't think Black is gonna play cornerback. I love the guy but he's been with the team for seven years -- if he was capable of starting there it probably would have happened by now.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It may not be business as usual, but the Argos cannot treat it like it isn't business as usual. The timing of the Barker firing and Milanovich resignation was not ideal, but needless to say the Argos still need to field a team and in my opinion cannot wait until a new coaching staff is in place because who the hell knows when that is going to happen!
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Coaches can cut players in camp; Zimmerman should do whatever he feels is needed in the meantime. There's absolutely no downside to signing Bennett unless his salary demands are untenable. Obviously we need Gabriel to rebound as a starter, and we need at least one NAT LB (Greenwood, hope he gets re-signed, and/or Miles) and at least one NAT d-lineman at all times. Ideally we'd start four NATs on defence, three on the o-line and two among the six backs and receivers, giving us tons of substitution flexibility. I don't think Black is gonna play cornerback. I love the guy but he's been with the team for seven years -- if he was capable of starting there it probably would have happened by now.

"capable of starting" should be determined by a smart coaching staff; and not by myopic dullard thinking that Canadians don't get to play certain positions. A new defensive coaching staff (DC or DBs coach) might be willing to give vet Matt Black a chance to start at corner - he has lots of experience, and has almost always held-up well there when given spot playing time. Problem is the GOB thinking process there - young import corners or DBs can get torched all over the field and the thinking is - "oh well, he's learning and will get better"; a Canadian playing there will be graded much more harshly. Little note to GOB DCs - the exclusive Americans only corners and DBs in the CFL now are mostly getting beaten all over the field, pretty well all the time, game in game out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    We've had this debate before so almost no point rehashing it, but the idea that imports are judged less harshly than Canadians is undermined by the fact that Black, as one example, has had a job in the league for seven seasons. Can't find any INT DBs who lasted that long while "getting torched up and down the field." Those who play like that generally last less than two seasons. And yes, I know a case can be made that Black hasn't had the same chance to get torched as a CB. Maybe that's to his detriment, maybe it's to his benefit.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    And the argos signed a new receiver KR Chandler Worthy. Lots of youtube videos of him, good hands, speed and lots of KR TDs. And seems to be a slippery runner, shakes tackles and can also play DB. He looks like the exciting KR we need. Check him out on youtube. Google his name lots of games .
    Last edited by Reggiemac; 02-04-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Victor Butler has a lot of NFL experience...weighing in at 248 he could be used at DE as well. Harris could be a find based on his college career. Hope the new coaching staff likes these guys.
    Read that Butler was a DE in college ball before being converted to linebacker in the NFL and is rated a good pass rusher. Maybe doubtful he could beat out Lemon at DE, but maybe could man the other side DE? Is Foley going to be coming back? - if not, it might be 2 import DEs starting and maybe Waud mans one DT spot (and IMO that is why the Argos should be thinking of a DT from this year's draft - a good crop there IMO - and might have to use their 1st pick #10 overall, or could maybe wait till their second pick / #19 ?).

Greenwood - hopefully re-signed and healthy, plus Gabriel at safety = would then give 3 starters on D; but I hope Matt Black or Thomas Miles might get a shot to start, or at least sub-in for certain packages.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    And we signed another receiver KR prospect today, things are looking up in our kick return game possibilities!

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    And tge other new receiver KR is Andre Debose and I had a look at his youtube videos and this guy will put lots of bums in seats, very exciting. Hopefully he can makevit through camps inscratched. Another break away threat with great sped, goid hands and can slip casual tackles like no ankle slap will stop him. Played and starred at a big school program so he should be ready.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I just can't wait to train them all on the differences between NCAA/NFL and the CFL game. Usually takes a season or two.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I just can't wait to train them all on the differences between NCAA/NFL and the CFL game. Usually takes a season or two.
    Not with the good ones. Let's hope we've found some good ones.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    A bit off topic but listening to a "Podcast" by Hamilton fan Josh Smith, he has heard rumblings that Chad Owens could very well be returning to the Boatman after Free Agency hits. This "Podcast" is on 3downnation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    A bit off topic but listening to a "Podcast" by Hamilton fan Josh Smith, he has heard rumblings that Chad Owens could very well be returning to the Boatman after Free Agency hits. This "Podcast" is on 3downnation.
    I think that's extremely probable. Ham has tons of receivers. We need to improve there and would really benefit from some veteran leadership.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    if true, I would love to have him back.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227